Ford Retail Price Increases

1 hour ago, sajohnson said:

That helps a lot, thank you!

I saw the following in Red Bold Font:

"Automatic price protection will be provided on:
• Firm 2022-model fleet, retail, and demonstrator orders signed and dated on or before December 7, 2021 and received by Ford Motor Company on or before December 11, 2021."

Is that what you were referring to?  That seems to be Ford's standard language -- very straight-forward.  Sounds like the entire order, including options, is covered.

Yes the automatic price protection quote above is what I am referring to. My confirmed order was on October 26th, since that date the base model price for a F250 SuperDuty (regardless of trim) has increased by a total of $2295 dollars.

The first increase came early December 2021 for $1295 dollars the second increase came this month on February 15th for $1000 dollars (reference the price increases on page 1 & 2 of this thread for SuperDuty's  to follow along).  

When I review my original order sheet I received from the dealer on October 26th v/s what my window sticker states for base cost of the F250 it is exactly $2295 dollars more, thus the price protection piece kicks in to revert me back to the original base cost in October. All of the other options for MY particular build stayed the same price when I say options I mean like tremor package, moon roof etc. I have no knowledge about other models this example is just for my particular build. 

Edited by JT42

1 hour ago, JT42 said:

Yes the automatic price protection quote above is what I am referring to. My confirmed order was on October 26th, since that date the base model price for a F250 SuperDuty (regardless of trim) has increased by a total of $2295 dollars.

The first increase came early December 2021 for $1295 dollars the second increase came this month on February 15th for $1000 dollars (reference the price increases on page 1 & 2 of this thread for SuperDuty's  to follow along).  

When I review my original order sheet I received from the dealer on October 26th v/s what my window sticker states for base cost of the F250 it is exactly $2295 dollars more, thus the price protection piece kicks in to revert me back to the original base cost in October. All of the other options for MY particular build stayed the same price when I say options I mean like tremor package, moon roof etc. I have no knowledge about other models this example is just for my particular build. 

Sounds good!

The reason I mentioned options is that a post earlier today suggested that the price protection might be for the base price only -- before options.

I've noticed that the price increases are often for just certain models.  For any given model there may be increases in the base price, certain options, or both.

The main concern of course is increases to the base price -- your F250 is a perfect example -- but option price increases can add up as well.

Since Ford's language is "...orders signed and dated on or before [date]...", with no mention of base price vs options, the price protection must apply to everything, the bottom line price on the 'order summary'.

Edited by sajohnson

16 minutes ago, sajohnson said:

Sounds good!

The reason I mentioned options is that a post earlier today suggested that the price protection might be for the base price only -- before options.

I've noticed that the price increases are often for just certain models.  For any given model there may be increases in the base price, certain options, or both.

The main concern of course is increases to the base price -- your F250 is a perfect example -- but option price increase can add up as well.

Since Ford's language is "...orders signed and dated on or before [date]..., with no mention of base price vs options, the price protection must apply to everything, the bottom line price on the 'order summary'.

Understood, I am not sure that will require someone else to answer with more experience on the matter, but I agree I would think if the option was selected during the initial ordering and the price changes for that particular option during the increase you would be price protected.

From reading some of your previous posts, I think I would reach out to the general manager of the dealership, and just ask. Tell them you have been doing a large amount of research during the waiting period and you have came across several credible links on the internet that point to Ford Corporate reimbursing dealers in relation to price increases due to extended waiting periods for vehicles. I would ask them to double check with the Ford Zone manager, because if Ford corporate is reimbursing the dealership, it is a win for all parties, i.e. satisfied customer and the dealer isn't out anything.

This will at least get you an answer and understand what type of dealer your dealing with. I was prepared to die on the hill for the price protection though, i.e. I would have walked away from the deal out of principle and they knew this explicitly, and would have filed the appropriate paperwork in writing with the dealership on the reasons I would not be apart of the transaction. That is me though, everyone's mileage may differ. 

Hope you get some resolution. 

20 minutes ago, JT42 said:

Understood, I am not sure that will require someone else to answer with more experience on the matter, but I agree I would think if the option was selected during the initial ordering and the price changes for that particular option during the increase you would be price protected.

From reading some of your previous posts, I think I would reach out to the general manager of the dealership, and just ask. Tell them you have been doing a large amount of research during the waiting period and you have came across several credible links on the internet that point to Ford Corporate reimbursing dealers in relation to price increases due to extended waiting periods for vehicles. I would ask them to double check with the Ford Zone manager, because if Ford corporate is reimbursing the dealership, it is a win for all parties, i.e. satisfied customer and the dealer isn't out anything.

This will at least get you an answer and understand what type of dealer your dealing with. I was prepared to die on the hill for the price protection though, i.e. I would have walked away from the deal out of principle and they knew this explicitly, and would have filed the appropriate paperwork in writing with the dealership on the reasons I would not be apart of the transaction. That is me though, everyone's mileage may differ. 

Hope you get some resolution. 

Thanks JT!

I feel exactly the same way.  In this case the Bronco Sport Badlands is replacing my wife's 1997(!) RAV4, but my position would be the same if I had ordered it for myself.  It's a matter of principle -- both the price protection and any last-minute extortion (ADM).  

The problem is that the dealership has very little reason to do the right thing (at least in our case).  If we walk, they can put the Badlands on the lot and sell it for thousands over MSRP.  In fact, they are probably hoping we back out.

14 minutes ago, sajohnson said:

Thanks JT!

I feel exactly the same way.  In this case the Bronco Sport Badlands is replacing my wife's 1997(!) RAV4, but my position would be the same if I had ordered it for myself.  It's a matter of principle -- both the price protection and any last-minute extortion (ADM).  

The problem is that the dealership has very little reason to do the right thing (at least in our case).  If we walk, they can put the Badlands on the lot and sell it for thousands over MSRP.  In fact, they are probably hoping we back out.

Your probably right they would, and the happy wife, happy life aspect as well I completely understand. It really is unfortunate, that one has to go to these lengths not to get bamboozled especially over something that really is black and white. 

20 minutes ago, JT42 said:

Your probably right they would, and the happy wife, happy life aspect as well I completely understand. It really is unfortunate, that one has to go to these lengths not to get bamboozled especially over something that really is black and white. 

You've got that right.  It is ridiculous that cars and trucks are still sold the way they are, with the lying; deceit; unethical business practices; haggling; dealer add-ons; and games.  Maybe not all of the above every time, but often.

As for happy wife, happy life -- yeah, that may come into play.  She is really excited about the Badlands.  At the same time, she feels the same way I do about dealers taking advantage of people.  We did not haggle at all.  The salesman said full MSRP and we agreed.  Then there's the $500 "doc prep" fee on top of that, so they are making out just fine.  In short, we're holding up our end, hopefully they will do the same.

If not, Granger Ford (Granger, Iowa) is selling Bronco Sports for 6% *under invoice*!  We happen to have family very near there, so we can buy from them and save ~$3,500.  The only reason I didn't go with them initially is because a) while we have family there, it is a 2,000 mile round trip, and b) I'm trying to avoid stress and hassles if/when we need warranty service.  That said, Granger is a good 'plan B'.

9 hours ago, JT42 said:

Misleading and incorrect. Price protection is a longstanding Ford policy and has nothing to do with extended waiting periods for vehicles. It's also not simply a "reimbursement" to the Dealer as it depends on how the transaction is processed, the sale type, the price adjustment necessary, etc. There are also times when the price protection adjustment is paid by Ford directly to the retail customer. In other cases, the Dealer may make the adjustment themselves at the time of delivery and file the price protection claim with Ford separately. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

Misleading and incorrect. Price protection is a longstanding Ford policy and has nothing to do with extended waiting periods for vehicles. It's also not simply a "reimbursement" to the Dealer as it depends on how the transaction is processed, the sale type, the price adjustment necessary, etc. There are also times when the price protection adjustment is paid by Ford directly to the retail customer. In other cases, the Dealer may make the adjustment themselves at the time of delivery and file the price protection claim with Ford separately. 

Ok as stated multiple times during the conversation with the user this is my experience. I understand you are setting the record straight for the rest of the thread. Sorry if created confusion for anyone out there. Again this is my understanding of my experience thus far. 

Thanks Ice.. 

Mid-Year Pricing Effective February 28, 2022 and March 1, 2022 

EFFECTIVE DATE
Dealer Invoice changes will be effective February 28th, 2022 and March 1st, 2022.

PRICE PROTECTION For February 28th Effective Changes
2022 model units invoiced prior to February 28th, 2022 will not be re-invoiced.

Automatic price protection will be provided on:
• Firm 2022-model fleet, retail, and demonstrator orders signed and dated on or before February27th, 2022, and received by Ford Motor Company on or before March 3rd, 2022.
• Fleet CPA or GPC orders will continue to be price protected to the individual customer’s contract agreement or bid date.

PRICE PROTECTION for March 1st Effective Changes
2022 model units invoiced prior to March 1st, 2022 will not be re-invoiced.

Automatic price protection will be provided on:
• Firm 2022-model fleet, retail, and demonstrator orders signed and dated on or before February 28th, 2022, and received by Ford Motor Company on or before March 4th, 2022.
• Fleet CPA or GPC orders will continue to be price protected to the individual customer’s contract agreement or bid date.

RETAIL PRICE INCREASES BY VEHICLE LINE - Effective February 28, 2022
Bronco Sport

• Increase Base series price $750 MSRP
  • Increase Big Bend series price $1,000 MSRP
  • Increase Outer Banks series price $500 MSRP
  • Increase Badlands series price $500 MSRP

RETAIL PRICE INCREASES BY VEHICLE LINE - Effective March 1, 2022

Expedition

• Increase all series prices $1,000 MSRP

Lincoln Navigator

• Increase Reserve series price $535 MSRP
  • Increase Black Label series price $535 MSRP

13 hours ago, jhaber said:

@ice-capades So my dealer is telling me that im not price protected since there was  no invoice only an order confirmation. I called ford and the ford rep told me to go back to my dealer and talk to them (no help). Is there a specific person/ department I need to contact at Ford to get them to honor the price protection?

BS. Call Ford again. You may get a more helpful response from a different representative. 

Edited by ice-capades

2 hours ago, ice-capades said:

BS. Call Ford again. You may get a more helpful response from a different representative. 

I was told once again that prices are subject to change and refer to my dealer for further information. They asked where I got that letter from and the rep said unless its on some public webstie (I forgot the name she said) that its only for dealers and she can not comment on it.

1 hour ago, jhaber said:

I was told once again that prices are subject to change and refer to my dealer for further information. They asked where I got that letter from and the rep said unless its on some public webstie (I forgot the name she said) that its only for dealers and she can not comment on it.

Unfortunately, the Ford representative you talked to doesn't know what they're talking about. 

18 hours ago, ice-capades said:

It sounds like the price protection may sometimes be fairly complex.

Needless to say, my preference would be to pay the price we agreed to back in December, and have the dealer file a claim with Ford.  I have a sneaking suspicion that's out of the customer's hands though.

I've been following this (and other) threads closely as theoretically my truck should be built early next month and there are/will be at least 2 price increases since I ordered in in Mid Oct.  

Much thanks to Ice-Capades and others for the info they have and are providing but it appears that customers are at the mercy of their dealers as to how or even if it will occur.  From several posts it appears that there may not be a reliable recourse if you happen to have a non-helpful (or worse) dealer.  What bothers me about this longstanding Ford policy is that there doesn't appear to be a actual set process in place and/or that some dealers appear to be claiming they don't know anything about it.  It's been said that there are at least two ways it can occur (maybe more, I was uncertain of some posts) if it happens at all.  Boggles the mind that such a large and longstanding company doesn't have a well documented/established/directed procedure for such a important to customer satisfaction policy. 

Based on my purchase experience & communications so far with my dealer (statements they have made about pricing) I fully anticipate this not working out well for me.  Being a first time new Ford buyer, so far I'm less than impressed with the process but I remain hopeful.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Blown32 said:

Much thanks to Ice-Capades and others for the info they have and are providing but it appears that customers are at the mercy of their dealers as to how or even if it will occur.  From several posts it appears that there may not be a reliable recourse if you happen to have a non-helpful (or worse) dealer.  What bothers me about this longstanding Ford policy is that there doesn't appear to be a actual set process in place and/or that some dealers appear to be claiming they don't know anything about it.  It's been said that there are at least two ways it can occur (maybe more, I was uncertain of some posts) if it happens at all.  Boggles the mind that such a large and longstanding company doesn't have a well documented/established/directed procedure for such a important to customer satisfaction policy. 

You guys are forgetting a couple of things here.  

First - this hardly ever happens in normal times because 90% of orders are stock orders where it doesn’t apply and most retail orders are built within 6 weeks or so and only a few ha e to deal with a price increase mid order.  Obviously that has changed and I would expect Ford to make some changes to the process now that ordering will be more prevalent.

Second - normally you negotiate for a fixed price because you’re buying the vehicle from the dealer not Ford and what the dealer charges Ford is irrelevant.  Too many of you are ordering without a set price and just assuming you’ll get MSRP so of course the dealer is going to tell you to pay the price increase.  If you have a set up front price (even if it is MSRP have them write it up on a buyer’s order and sign it) then it makes it harder for the dealer to just change it.  Not impossible - they can still try to change it but at least you’d be able to argue that you had an agreed to price already.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, akirby said:

You guys are forgetting a couple of things here.  

First - this hardly ever happens in normal times because 90% of orders are stock orders where it doesn’t apply and most retail orders are built within 6 weeks or so and only a few ha e to deal with a price increase mid order.  Obviously that has changed and I would expect Ford to make some changes to the process now that ordering will be more prevalent.

Second - normally you negotiate for a fixed price because you’re buying the vehicle from the dealer not Ford and what the dealer charges Ford is irrelevant.  Too many of you are ordering without a set price and just assuming you’ll get MSRP so of course the dealer is going to tell you to pay the price increase.  If you have a set up front price (even if it is MSRP have them write it up on a buyer’s order and sign it) then it makes it harder for the dealer to just change it.  Not impossible - they can still try to change it but at least you’d be able to argue that you had an agreed to price already.

In my case, it is a x-plan purchase and I have the original DORA showing the x-plan pricing.  It's my understanding that this type of order should be price protected to the original order date.  Please correct me if I'm under an incorrect understanding of the situation. 

14 minutes ago, Blown32 said:

In my case, it is a x-plan purchase and I have the original DORA showing the x-plan pricing.  It's my understanding that this type of order should be price protected to the original order date.  Please correct me if I'm under an incorrect understanding of the situation. 

Yes it is price protected so you should tell them they are price protected therefor the original price shouldn’t change.  There might be a wrinkle with X plan since the actual invoice will only have the new price.  

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Yes it is price protected so you should tell them they are price protected therefor the original price shouldn’t change.  There might be a wrinkle with X plan since the actual invoice will only have the new price.  

It doesn't make a difference as all invoices, regardless of the order type (Stock, Demo, Retail, A/X/Z/D Plan, Fleet), are created only with the pricing in effect at the time the vehicle is produced. 

1 hour ago, ice-capades said:

It doesn't make a difference as all invoices, regardless of the order type (Stock, Demo, Retail, A/X/Z/D Plan, Fleet), are created only with the pricing in effect at the time the vehicle is produced. 

I wasn’t sure if the dealer had online access to the original x plan price or if they had to rely on a previous printed copy.

I can confirm that there is price protection as I just picked my truck up Wednesday and was so excited I forgot everything I learned from this forum.  I signed all documents with the higher price, was approved out the door with new truck. Got home and it hit me that I total screwed that up.  Today I received a courtesy call from sale rep checking on me and how was the truck.  I this point I figured they would say you signed for it and its a done deal. I explained that I wanted to inquire about the price protection as I had ordered the truck back in October before the increase.  Also to note I added adaptive cruise in January after the December price increase.  She politely said she did not know and would get the sales and finance mangers involved..  Got a text later in the morning that they would file to appropriate paperwork with ford and I would received a check directly from ford.  Dealer was Ricart Ford in Columbus Ohio.  

Big thanks to ice-capades and many others on here that take the time to put up with us newbies.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Blown32 said:

I've been following this (and other) threads closely as theoretically my truck should be built early next month and there are/will be at least 2 price increases since I ordered in in Mid Oct.  

Based on my purchase experience & communications so far with my dealer (statements they have made about pricing) I fully anticipate this not working out well for me.  Being a first time new Ford buyer, so far I'm less than impressed with the process but I remain hopeful.

I could have written this post myself. 

Our Badlands is currently "in production" so we're hoping to take delivery in about a month.  I've been trying to make sure everything goes smoothly, 

GOOD NEWS!:  I just got off the phone with the sales manager at our local dealer.  He said Automatic Price Protection is SOP.  They deal with it all the time.  The customer simply pays the agreed upon price and the dealership is reimbursed by Ford.  He said a lot of people have been asking about price protection recently.  Hopefully that is an indication of how most other dealerships handle it.

I was prepared for him to act like he'd never heard of price protection, or say it did not apply to our purchase, so I as pleasantly surprised.

The other thing that I did not expect as that when I asked about the procedure for paying cash, he said we could just write a personal check.  I was thinking they would want an electronic transfer or cashier's check or similar. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, iamabuckeye4life said:

I can confirm that there is price protection as I just picked my truck up Wednesday and was so excited I forgot everything I learned from this forum.  I signed all documents with the higher price, was approved out the door with new truck. Got home and it hit me that I total screwed that up.  Today I received a courtesy call from sale rep checking on me and how was the truck.  I this point I figured they would say you signed for it and its a done deal. I explained that I wanted to inquire about the price protection as I had ordered the truck back in October before the increase.  Also to note I added adaptive cruise in January after the December price increase.  She politely said she did not know and would get the sales and finance mangers involved..  Got a text later in the morning that they would file to appropriate paperwork with ford and I would received a check directly from ford.  Dealer was Ricart Ford in Columbus Ohio.  

Big thanks to ice-capades and many others on here that take the time to put up with us newbies.  

Great news!  Congratulations!

Just out of curiosity, how much will the price protection cover?

• Thanks 1