Sign in to follow this  
exrub

240V 30A vs 50A?

Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question.  I saw that the 240V/30A with NEMA 14-50 is the outlet referenced to as an option for charging the Mach-E using the adapter that comes with the vehicle.  Is it good or bad to have a 240V/50A with NEMA 14-50 outlet installed?  Would this work properly for charging at home?

Thinking ahead with a Mach-E potentially in the future.

Thanks!

16 minutes ago, exrub said:

Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question.  I saw that the 240V/30A with NEMA 14-50 is the outlet referenced to as an option for charging the Mach-E using the adapter that comes with the vehicle.  Is it good or bad to have a 240V/50A with NEMA 14-50 outlet installed?  Would this work properly for charging at home?

Thinking ahead with a Mach-E potentially in the future.

Thanks!

I've seen that 30amp reference, and honestly, it's got to be a typo.  There is no reason to use a 14-50 50amp capable socket with a 30amp breaker feeding it.  Here is the Ford data sheet for the included Mobile Charger.  I installed a 14-50 with a 50amp breaker.

HRG

Ford Mobile Charger Home_Install_Spec_Sheet_0831_FINAL-1.pdf

9 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

I've seen that 30amp reference, and honestly, it's got to be a typo.  There is no reason to use a 14-50 50amp capable socket with a 30amp breaker feeding it.  Here is the Ford data sheet for the included Mobile Charger.  I installed a 14-50 with a 50amp breaker.

HRG

Ford Mobile Charger Home_Install_Spec_Sheet_0831_FINAL-1.pdf

Hey, HRG.

Yeah; I was scratching my head trying to see if that was right.  Thanks for the info.  I think I will go with the 50A.

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, exrub said:

Hey, HRG.

Yeah; I was scratching my head trying to see if that was right.  Thanks for the info.  I think I will go with the 50A.

Here's some interesting reading on the difference between 14-50 receptacles.  https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/master-thread-definitive-14-50-nema-outlet-guide.140694/

FYI, if this is a new install for you, talk to your electrician, and discuss up-sizing the wire size to accommodate a potential 60amp feed, in the event you ever decide to up-grade to the permanently-mounted Home Connected Charger, to take advantage of the higher charging rate.  It would be simple to swap the 50 amp breaker out down the road, but heavy-AWG wire is expensive,,,

HRG

Edited by HotRunrGuy