240V 30A vs 50A?

exrub

Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question.  I saw that the 240V/30A with NEMA 14-50 is the outlet referenced to as an option for charging the Mach-E using the adapter that comes with the vehicle.  Is it good or bad to have a 240V/50A with NEMA 14-50 outlet installed?  Would this work properly for charging at home?

Thinking ahead with a Mach-E potentially in the future.

Thanks!

16 minutes ago, exrub said:

Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question.  I saw that the 240V/30A with NEMA 14-50 is the outlet referenced to as an option for charging the Mach-E using the adapter that comes with the vehicle.  Is it good or bad to have a 240V/50A with NEMA 14-50 outlet installed?  Would this work properly for charging at home?

Thinking ahead with a Mach-E potentially in the future.

Thanks!

I've seen that 30amp reference, and honestly, it's got to be a typo.  There is no reason to use a 14-50 50amp capable socket with a 30amp breaker feeding it.  Here is the Ford data sheet for the included Mobile Charger.  I installed a 14-50 with a 50amp breaker.

HRG

Ford Mobile Charger Home_Install_Spec_Sheet_0831_FINAL-1.pdf

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

I've seen that 30amp reference, and honestly, it's got to be a typo.  There is no reason to use a 14-50 50amp capable socket with a 30amp breaker feeding it.  Here is the Ford data sheet for the included Mobile Charger.  I installed a 14-50 with a 50amp breaker.

HRG

Ford Mobile Charger Home_Install_Spec_Sheet_0831_FINAL-1.pdf

Hey, HRG.

Yeah; I was scratching my head trying to see if that was right.  Thanks for the info.  I think I will go with the 50A.

31 minutes ago, exrub said:

Hey, HRG.

Yeah; I was scratching my head trying to see if that was right.  Thanks for the info.  I think I will go with the 50A.

Here's some interesting reading on the difference between 14-50 receptacles.  https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/master-thread-definitive-14-50-nema-outlet-guide.140694/

FYI, if this is a new install for you, talk to your electrician, and discuss up-sizing the wire size to accommodate a potential 60amp feed, in the event you ever decide to up-grade to the permanently-mounted Home Connected Charger, to take advantage of the higher charging rate.  It would be simple to swap the 50 amp breaker out down the road, but heavy-AWG wire is expensive,,,

HRG

Edited by HotRunrGuy

• 3 months later...

30A can get away with 10GA wiring, but for 50A you're gonna need 8, or even 6 for a long-distance run.  The actual thickness and maneuverability of the wire is not that big of a deal (pulling it thru' walls is not much different than Romex 12), but the price will kill you!   100ft of 10-3 will run you around $130 at the homey depot, while 8-3 is closer to $300.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/2/2021 at 9:14 AM, exrub said:

Hey, HRG.

The one reason is when your subpanel cannot accommodate an additional 50A breaker. I ended up having to sacrifice a 15A 110V breaker to make space for the 50A breaker.

4 hours ago, mac123 said:

The one reason is when your subpanel cannot accommodate an additional 50A breaker. I ended up having to sacrifice a 15A 110V breaker to make space for the 50A breaker.

You can buy slim double breakers that give you 2 in one slot.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

If you are using the stock charger that came with the vehicle- it presents a 32A load

So a 30 A breaker will not work (as it will trip at 24 A - due to the 80% safety rating factor)

but a 40 A breaker will work just fine (40*.8=32) - if you can find one, actually two as it is a 240V circuit - 4 wire: 2 hots from different legs

I have been running mine w/ a 50 a breaker - and so far - no problems

Note: NEMA rating on Plug/Receptacle is a 'not to exceed' rating so giving the 14-50R a 40 A circuit is OK.

Lastly - to akirby - yes, and No - 

you can get slim profile breakers - but you will need a 4 pack with the two 40 / 50 A breakers tied together

THis will consume two spots - but that is what is needed so that you get the 240 VAC and tap into each hot leg of the distribution panel.