6.2 Vs. 7.3 mpg

Kory04

Just wondering if anybody has experience with either engine with 10 speed trans.  On youtube, it looks like a 6.2 has very similar mpg to a 7.3 engine, but most 6.2 have 6 speed trans.  I'm just wondering if maybe a 6.2 with 10 speed could do a bit better efficiency-wise than a 7.3

There's a bunch of this discussion over on Ford Truck Enthusiasts forum. The general consensus is that the 7.3 with 10 speed will get about 1.0 mpg better than the 6.2 6 speed set up. Not enough input from 6.2 10 speed owners, that seems a bit rare.

In ordering my F-250, setting up to pull a 8000 5th wheel, I debated 6.2 vs 7.3. The tipping point for me was the 6.2 has 16 spark plugs and changing them is an all day job. The 8 plugs on the 7.3 are old school in plain sight that even an old geezer like me could do in 2 hours. Plus that extra 1 mpg. And I like the idea of a 10 speed. 

That is a big reason I chose 7.3  too.  I know its a great engine but don't like the idea of 16 plugs.  But I was watching a youtube of 100,000+ mile 6.2 recently, and it was handling a pretty big trailer  pretty well which made me question if I really NEED a 7.3.....Probably not, but I like the great accessibility around the engine compartment.

22 minutes ago, Radio said:

There's a bunch of this discussion over on Ford Truck Enthusiasts forum. The general consensus is that the 7.3 with 10 speed will get about 1.0 mpg better than the 6.2 6 speed set up. Not enough input from 6.2 10 speed owners, that seems a bit rare.

In ordering my F-250, setting up to pull a 8000 5th wheel, I debated 6.2 vs 7.3. The tipping point for me was the 6.2 has 16 spark plugs and changing them is an all day job. The 8 plugs on the 7.3 are old school in plain sight that even an old geezer like me could do in 2 hours. Plus that extra 1 mpg. And I like the idea of a 10 speed. 

Radio...I am right there with you! If I can get in and change some spark plugs that's a plus for me, I guess we'll never see the days  of being able to actually stand on the ground inside of the engine compartment in vehicles...

(...that is a running driving car....have to be careful doing that though, exhaust manifolds get the knees hot!?)

20160617_222745.jpg

20161028_165652.jpg

The 6.2 is a great engine and the 6 speed trans is pretty bomber as well. It is not a bad choice and the plugs can be done in 2-3 hrs. I suspect mine is still on the factory plugs at 190k miles and running fine. It runs great and I have a new truck coming so it's on the next guy... Mine is the old steel body and with old plugs it averages 13 mpg empty with the six speed and 3.73 gears. My understanding from reading a bunch of MPG posts on the 7.3 is that guys are getting 14-17mpg depending on the truck and the gear ratio. So for me I can upgrade the power and the mpg by getting the 7.3 10 speed. The 7.3 does have better low end torque performance and should be a durable design so I ordered mine with the 7.3 and 4.30 gearing because I will bump the tire size up for sure. 

1 hour ago, Mountain Super Duty said:

The 6.2 is a great engine and the 6 speed trans is pretty bomber as well. It is not a bad choice and the plugs can be done in 2-3 hrs. I suspect mine is still on the factory plugs at 190k miles and running fine. It runs great and I have a new truck coming so it's on the next guy... Mine is the old steel body and with old plugs it averages 13 mpg empty with the six speed and 3.73 gears. My understanding from reading a bunch of MPG posts on the 7.3 is that guys are getting 14-17mpg depending on the truck and the gear ratio. So for me I can upgrade the power and the mpg by getting the 7.3 10 speed. The 7.3 does have better low end torque performance and should be a durable design so I ordered mine with the 7.3 and 4.30 gearing because I will bump the tire size up for sure. 

Thats good information. Thanks