So just ordered new tires....how will they affect payload and Towing feel?

So... paid the extra 250 or whatever it was (x plan) to get the all-terrain tires when ordering the truck. Now that I have the truck the tires look a little puny.

So I called up the local tire place and had them pull in a set of goodyear duratrac 285/75-18s.

My current 275s are rated at 3600ish the new tires are rated at 4080lbs.

I know legally the payload will never increase from the sticker but will these tires help or hurt payload, towing and feel (seat of the pants), or with real-world usage and driving will I never even see or feel a difference.

The 285s are I believe same width and 2 in taller, there will be a 2 mph difference on the speedometer. I don't think i would feel any power difference (unless I max out the equipment trailer). Hoping the 7.3 and 4.30 make the change trivial and moot.

With the bed height being as high as it is already I'm worried about finding a fifth wheel that we like and having enough clearance.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Edited by IUEC135ELEVATOR

If you were going from street tread tires ( michelins ) to the AT tire you would feel a difference... BUT since you are swapping AT for AT the ride quality should NOT change....

As far as payload, it will not be effected other than knowing you have a greater capacity with the new tires..  The new tires are 2 inches taller, so that would equal a 1" raise in the truck by adding them.. 

And for the ride height of the fiver, that will depend on the camper...... My buddy picked up his 2022 and it slid right under the new fiver like it was made to fit.... BUT all campers are not the same as you know

Joe

You want to look at payload stickers in the fordtremor.com forums.  Tremors have that tire.  Bigger sidewalls result in less towing stability.  But you should have around 4000 lbs per tire on Goodyear's ratings.  There is a chart that I just saw over there.

On 11/30/2021 at 12:34 PM, Oldfordguy said:

When towing a fifth wheel one of the most overlooked aspect is trying to keep your fifth wheel as level as possible in order to distribute weight equally to both axels.If the the nose is to high it can cause the rear axel tires to wear too fast or over heat.

I'm about an inch high, and will be lowering it as soon as we reach our next destination.  Your comment had me wondering how much difference one inch will make.

Got the tires put on today.... put the old ones in the shed just in case I need to go back to them.

I will see how these do and how they feel once I get the equipment trailer hooked up...I have 11k(ish) loaded on it now and the trailer itself is about 2500 or so...

I am worried about the height, this truck bed rail is ridiculous high compared to older pickups.

I like the tires so far though...all 3 miles of driving on them?

20211201_144047.jpg