Holiday Shutdown and Shipping

fredrickhw

How is shipping impacted during the holiday KTP shutdown?  My truck has a build date of 12/10 - will it ship before the holiday shutdown?  If they stop building trucks on 12/13 or 12/20, do they still ship the trucks that are done after 12/13 or 12/20 when production has stopped or does everything sit until next year?

20 minutes ago, fredrickhw said:

How is shipping impacted during the holiday KTP shutdown?  My truck has a build date of 12/10 - will it ship before the holiday shutdown?  If they stop building trucks on 12/13 or 12/20, do they still ship the trucks that are done after 12/13 or 12/20 when production has stopped or does everything sit until next year?

First, wait for confirmation that your vehicle has been built before worrying about shipping. The KTP plant doesn't go down until the week of 12/27 so there's plenty of time. Usually, once the plant shuts down, nothing moves unless it's already been loaded on a rail car. But again, it's too early to speculate about your vehicle. If you're concerned about taking delivery by year end for tax purposes, there's nothing that can be done until your vehicle arrives at the final rail destination.  

16 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

First, wait for confirmation that your vehicle has been built before worrying about shipping. The KTP plant doesn't go down until the week of 12/27 so there's plenty of time. Usually, once the plant shuts down, nothing moves unless it's already been loaded on a rail car. But again, it's too early to speculate about your vehicle. If you're concerned about taking delivery by year end for tax purposes, there's nothing that can be done until your vehicle arrives at the final rail destination.  

I am not concerned about taking delivery for tax purposes - mostly curious because I am a GM guy and this is my first non-GM order.  Secondly, I have my current pickup up for sale so I am trying to understand how urgently I need to worry about selling it/vs trading it.  The information on these forums has been fascinating, very easy to get 'down the wormhole'.  

11 minutes ago, fredrickhw said:

I am not concerned about taking delivery for tax purposes - mostly curious because I am a GM guy and this is my first non-GM order.  Secondly, I have my current pickup up for sale so I am trying to understand how urgently I need to worry about selling it/vs trading it.  The information on these forums has been fascinating, very easy to get 'down the wormhole'.  

I'd wait until you have confirmation that your vehicle has been built and/or shipped. The average shipping time is 14 days plus any delays at the final rail destination before the car carrier firm dispatches the vehicle to be loaded on a carrier for delivery. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ice-capades said:

Usually, once the plant shuts down, nothing moves unless it's already been loaded on a rail car

Is this what status "Released" indicates, or not quite?

I'm interested in this, but not jumping the gun, because I'm currently scheduled to week of 12/20, which as far as I know could mean building as late as 12/26, but I think what I'm crossing my fingers for is *RELEASED* before plant shutdown, so that it's in the railroad's possession and no longer in Ford's by the shutdown.

12 minutes ago, BigUnixGeek said:

I'm interested in this, but not jumping the gun, because I'm currently scheduled to week of 12/20, which as far as I know could mean building as late as 12/26, but I think what I'm crossing my fingers for is *RELEASED* before plant shutdown, so that it's in the railroad's possession and no longer in Ford's by the shutdown.

"Released" just means that it's been released for shipping but still at the plant. The vehicle would need to be actually loaded onto a rail car ready to leave. 

• Like 1

On 12/7/2021 at 5:04 PM, BigUnixGeek said:

I have the same date and am hoping for the same but realistically I'm expecting it get pushed till mid January. 

11 hours ago, JimL243 said:

I would not hold my breath - mine went to built on 11/24 and as of Monday was still sitting at the plant awaiting rail shipping. With all the trackers down it makes it more difficult, and I really don't want to keep bugging the dealership.

For the cost of these trucks and amount of issues with all aspects of the process, I don’t think you should feel like you are bugging them if you ask for a weekly or biweekly update. My .02

8 hours ago, JWflorida said:

For the cost of these trucks and amount of issues with all aspects of the process, I don’t think you should feel like you are bugging them if you ask for a weekly or biweekly update. My .02

4 hours ago, ice-capades said:

It's their job to provide you with the information you require. Make them do their job!

Thanks guys - I checked in with the dealer again - I am working on ~2.5 weeks sitting in Kentucky awaiting a rail car. I don't suppose we have any way or prodding the process. My delivery on the Ford Tracker still says the 16th so maybe I will still get lucky but I don't think they will deliver that on-time. Thanks again.

On 12/10/2021 at 10:21 AM, JimL243 said:

Thanks guys - I checked in with the dealer again - I am working on ~2.5 weeks sitting in Kentucky awaiting a rail car. I don't suppose we have any way or prodding the process. My delivery on the Ford Tracker still says the 16th so maybe I will still get lucky but I don't think they will deliver that on-time. Thanks again.

So I guess no news is good news... Dealer informed me all he has was:

In transit

In Kentucky

12/10 - 12/16

Three days to go, highly doubt I'm making the trip this weekend to get it. 

Thanks everyone, I know there are others in a worse situation. 

Edited by JimL243

1 hour ago, JimL243 said:

So I guess no news is good news... Dealer informed me all he has was:

In transit

In Kentucky

12/10 - 12/16

Three days to go, highly doubt I'm making the trip this weekend to get it. 

Thanks everyone, I know there are others in a worse situation. 

I am in a similar situation. Shows built on on 11/18 and ETA of 12/9. That didn't happen and spoke to dealer on 12/8 and was told it was still sitting in KY. 

Is there some kind of typical or average time they sit waiting for transport? I'm in Louisiana, so no idea if it will get on rail or come straight here by convoy. Guess I will ask dealer tomorrow when I call. 

8 hours ago, kjgnola said:

I am in a similar situation. Shows built on on 11/18 and ETA of 12/9. That didn't happen and spoke to dealer on 12/8 and was told it was still sitting in KY. 

Is there some kind of typical or average time they sit waiting for transport? I'm in Louisiana, so no idea if it will get on rail or come straight here by convoy. Guess I will ask dealer tomorrow when I call. 

If you pull up your window sticker, it will show if your truck is shipping by rail or convoy.  You can access your sticker using this link:  https://seg.fyi/mache-vin/#/details but you need your order number and your VIN...hopefully you received that from your dealer.  Lower center of the WS:

1814249253_ScreenShot2021-12-14at5_36_13AM.thumb.png.e740a3c341fc664029d664083b2e9f53.png

1 hour ago, marinerjoe said:

So when looking at stickers for vehicles at my dealer and other dealers locally, since they say Convoy I don’t have to be concerned about them languishing in a rail yard. Yay! Now all I need is a VIN and scheduled build.

The shipping method displayed on the Window Stickers is not accurate in many cases as the vast majority of vehicles are shipped by rail. Your Dealer can tell you how your vehicle will actually ship based on their location and experience. There are times when vehicles are loaded onto car carriers to be transported to a rail ramp for loading onto rail cars. 

Edited by ice-capades
Additional content
  • Like 1

On 12/7/2021 at 9:26 AM, fredrickhw said:

If it were ME, I'd wait till it is in shipping... I just made a deal with my dealer on an Escape that was due to be built.. I followed it here and on the Mach tracking page, it came up as in production....  then Production complete.... then the dreaded "CHIP HOLD" .I know there is a huge difference from escape's to Super Duty's but ANYTHING can happen.

My build date from Ford was the week of 06DEC21.

I got an email from Ford last night that says;

Great news! Your 2022 Super Duty F-250 XLT Crew Cab has been built. We are performing some final inspections and getting it ready for shipment.

Our current estimate for delivery to Wiscasset Ford, Inc. is between December 21st, 2021 and December 27, 2021.

Considering I ordered the vehicle on October 30th, 2021 it's been a good experience so far.

Fred

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fred F-250 said:

My build date from Ford was the week of 06DEC21.

I got an email from Ford last night that says;

Great news! Your 2022 Super Duty F-250 XLT Crew Cab has been built. We are performing some final inspections and getting it ready for shipment.

Our current estimate for delivery to Wiscasset Ford, Inc. is between December 21st, 2021 and December 27, 2021.

Considering I ordered the vehicle on October 30th, 2021 it's been a good experience so far.

Fred

That's great that you may have it before 2022 . . .

There are a TON of folks that either waited 7 months ( we had 3 on order for 7+ months) , or are still waiting... 

8 hours ago, catastrofe said:

If you pull up your window sticker, it will show if your truck is shipping by rail or convoy.  You can access your sticker using this link:  https://seg.fyi/mache-vin/#/details but you need your order number and your VIN...hopefully you received that from your dealer.  Lower center of the WS:

1814249253_ScreenShot2021-12-14at5_36_13AM.thumb.png.e740a3c341fc664029d664083b2e9f53.png

Mine does say Convoy, but as others have said that it isn't always accurate. I am hoping that it does come by truck so I can avoid the additional wait getting out of the rail yard. 

Left a message with the sales rep. Hoping for good news today.

• Like 1

My 2022 350 has been on order since 06/25. Just sent to production on 12/09. I am as anxious as anyone else at the moment waiting on a special order, and I understand COVID has had a huge impact on just about every facet of our lives. But, being kept in suspense - or so it seems at times from what I have been reading - about a delivery date is hard to swallow. I have a 5th wheel RV that was ordered the same day as my truck, and I've had possession of the RV since the middle of September. Unfortunately my 2021 250 is at the high end of weight capacity so I cannot use the RV until the 350 shows up. The 250 was originally purchased to replace an F150 for towing a bumper-pulled  travel trailer.  For me it's not so much being anxious as it is wanting to be able to use an almost $100k RV sitting in a dealer lot collecting dust.  If nothing else 30 years in the Navy taught me that hurry up and wait is just how it is sometimes.  Take a deep breath and deal with it. So we endure and wait. 

Edited by bhidalgo63