F-150 Diesel Confirmed - 32 valve twin turbo diesel

Automotive News is reporting confirmation from retiring VP of manufacturing Dave Szczupak, that Ford will have a diesel for the 2008/9 F-150.

It will be a version of the new 3.6L Land Rover diesel which develops 473 lb-ft of torque and gets 25 mpg in the UK.

GM previously announced plan for a diesel "after 2010".

Edited by range

Great news. I guess the first question is, will it be 45- or 50-state compatible? Even if it is only 45-state, you'll still be hitting the market squarely - Texas, the Plains, & the Midwest. And the South too. The places where they actually know how to use a truck...no offense to Conneticut, but...

Scott

Great news. I guess the first question is, will it be 45- or 50-state compatible? Even if it is only 45-state, you'll still be hitting the market squarely - Texas, the Plains, & the Midwest. And the South too. The places where they actually know how to use a truck...no offense to Conneticut, but...

Scott

The best it could possibly hope for is 45-state compatibility. California, New York, Massachusetts, Vermont, and Maine all have emissions standards so strict that the only way a diesel can pass is with a urea-based catalyst that must be refilled several times a year.

The best it could possibly hope for is 45-state compatibility. California, New York, Massachusetts, Vermont, and Maine all have emissions standards so strict that the only way a diesel can pass is with a urea-based catalyst that must be refilled several times a year.

Honda can do it without urea injection.

I love how all the ostriches pull out the "around 2009" Honda diesel (which BTW is 1.8l I4 (so a TINY engine and that is the only reason they have a shot at crawling under the emissions limits)) as a sure thing ...as something that you can go buy tomorrow...

LOL

Ostiches ...

Igor

Honda also promised a pickup truck that was tough, and that clearly did not happen.

Despite Honda's promises, we all know what happens when you drive a Ridgeline on a dirt road,..... the shocks blow out. We also know that you can't even tow with a Ridgeline above 55mph.

So Honda can promise all they want what might happen in three years, but Honda seems to have a hard enough time achieving the promises they made three years in the past.

For the Ford V8 diesel, they are looking at urea injection or a lean NOx trap. Both would be used with a diesel particulate filter. Job 1 has not been set, but they are targeting by the end of 08.

Edited by range

Automotive News is reporting confirmation from retiring VP of manufacturing Dave Szczupak, that Ford will have a diesel for the 2008/9 F-150.

It will be a version of the new 3.6L Land Rover diesel which develops 473 lb-ft of torque and gets 25 mpg in the UK.

GM previously announced plan for a diesel "after 2010".

I wonder if this engine will find home in the Expedition as well...

There was a press release on Ford's website a while back, touting Ford's "reductant" injection system. The article said that NOx mitigation systems include urea, as a reductant, or (oddly enough) diesel fuel. I've not heard of diesel fuel used as a means of reducing NOx, but if Ford has an NOx system that uses diesel fuel instead of urea, they're far more likely to get approved to sell in the CARB states.

http://www.ford.com/en/innovation/technolo...sionsSystem.htm

"Reductants can include fluids such as diesel fuel or urea water solutions."

The 2007 Expedition has a "glow plug" or wait to start light in the cluster. Although it is not used currently they wouldn't put it there if it was not planned for future use. Check out the new 2007 Expedition or Navigator Cluster carefully...

That is very interesting & encouraging! Question now is, when can I place an order for a Diesel Expedition EL??!?

Click

Check out picture number 27 and 28. You can see this circle next to the "Check Engine" and "Theft". Is that what your talking about? I couldn't tell since there's no mention of it in the owners manual.

No, the glow plug light (IIRC) looks like a spring, and it's to the left of the left turn signal.

Edited by RichardJensen

If you want a diesel SUV you can buy the Durango with the bluetec diesel.

I love how all the ostriches pull out the "around 2009" Honda diesel (which BTW is 1.8l I4 (so a TINY engine and that is the only reason they have a shot at crawling under the emissions limits)) as a sure thing ...as something that you can go buy tomorrow...

LOL

Ostiches ...

Igor

The angry Elbonian.

First you tacitly criticize Ford by mentioning Honda's claim that they will not use urea in their 4 cylinder diesel due in 3 years. Then you tacitly criticize Ford by mentioning the Durango diesel which is supposed to be currently available. And Mercedes will use urea to meet the '08 pollution regs. Although sainted Honda says they won't. In 3 years. Is there a point? ...Other than bashing Ford at every opportunity?

Edited by Harley Lover

There was a press release on Ford's website a while back, touting Ford's "reductant" injection system. The article said that NOx mitigation systems include urea, as a reductant, or (oddly enough) diesel fuel. I've not heard of diesel fuel used as a means of reducing NOx, but if Ford has an NOx system that uses diesel fuel instead of urea, they're far more likely to get approved to sell in the CARB states.

Richard, there was an article in last week's AN that described the new Honda diesel, and it sounds like what you've described:

"One section on the converter creates ammonia from diesel exhaust. The ammonia reacts with NOx, releasing harmless nitrogen.

Overview of the cycle: the engine's computer switches the air/fuel mixture from lean-burn to rich-burn, which sends a brief burst of hydrogen rich exhaust compounds to the converter. In the converter, the hydrogen compounds generate ammonia. The ammonia breaks down NOx, releasing harmless nitrogen."

Edited by Harley Lover

DCX does not have a diesel Durango, but they do have a diesel Grand Cherokee (Chrysler to roll out diesel Cherokee). But, it's only a 3.0 V6 and the Grand Cherokee only seats five. I want a V8 diesel full size Ford SUV capable of 25 mpg. Even if the Durango had a diesel, I wouldn't even consider it.

First you tacitly criticize Ford by mentioning Honda's claim that they will not use urea in their 4 cylinder diesel due in 3 years. Then you tacitly criticize Ford by mentioning the Durango diesel which is supposed to be currently available. And Mercedes will use urea to meet the '08 pollution regs. Although sainted Honda says they won't. In 3 years. Is there a point? ...Other than bashing Ford at every opportunity?

This is info for the uneducated masses.

It is not criticizing Ford.

It is pointing out that Honda already has this technology.

And Chrysler is putting the Bluetec in the GC. My bad. They are putting the new hybrid tranny in the Durango.

This is info for the uneducated masses.

It is not criticizing Ford.

It is pointing out that Honda already has this technology.

And Chrysler is putting the Bluetec in the GC. My bad. They are putting the new hybrid tranny in the Durango.

HONDA DOES NOT HAVE THIS TECHNOLOGY - THEY BELIEVE THEY HAVE A GOOD SHOT AT FINISHING WHAT THEY ARE WORKING ON ... THEY GAVE THEMSELVES 3 YEARS TO FIGURE IT OUT

Geez .... and he calls me an "elbonian" well you are simply an idiot - cannot read, cannot reason, cannot listen ...

looks like a vegetable to me .. a vegetable that is hitting random keys on the keyboard...

Igor

Edited by igor

HONDA DOES NOT HAVE THIS TECHNOLOGY - THEY BELIEVE THEY HAVE A GOOD SHOT AT FINISHING WHAT THEY ARE WORKING ON ... THEY GAVE THEMSELVES 3 YEARS TO FIGURE IT OUT

Geez .... and he calls me an "elbonian" well you are simply an idiot - cannot read, cannot reason, cannot listen ...

looks like a vegetable to me .. a vegetable that is hitting random keys on the keyboard...

Igor

The angry Elbonian. But not the smartest.

Where do you get the idea they do not have the technology?

Honda has the technology. Will be to market for 2009.

"Honda Motor Co., Ltd., announced today it has developed a next-generation diesel engine that reduces exhaust gas emissions to a level equal to a petrol engine. Honda’s next-generation diesel engine employs a NOx catalytic converter that Honda calculates will enable sufficent reduction in NOx emissions to meet U.S. Tier II Bin 5 emissions requirements) when the new engine is launched in three years’ time. The catalytic converter features the world’s first system using the reductive reaction of ammonia generated within the catalytic converter to “detoxify†nitrogen oxide (NOx) by turning it into nitrogen (N2)."

http://www.autoindustry.co.uk/news/25-09-06_6

Edited by Bluecon

The angry Elbonian. But not the smartest.

Where do you get the idea they do not have the technology?

Honda has the technology. Will be to market for 2009.

"Honda Motor Co., Ltd., announced today it has developed a next-generation diesel engine that reduces exhaust gas emissions to a level equal to a petrol engine. Honda’s next-generation diesel engine employs a NOx catalytic converter that Honda calculates will enable sufficent reduction in NOx emissions to meet U.S. Tier II Bin 5 emissions requirements) when the new engine is launched in three years’ time. The catalytic converter features the world’s first system using the reductive reaction of ammonia generated within the catalytic converter to “detoxify” nitrogen oxide (NOx) by turning it into nitrogen (N2)."

http://www.autoindustry.co.uk/news/25-09-06_6

ROFL ...

again . if it was finished - it would be offered NOW .. not in 3 years ... go grow roots .. you pick out any PR spin Ford attempts, but eat Honda's PR from A to Z and claim to be holy scripture or something ...

Again ... unless you claim that Ford has developed a B-car, that GM already has Camaro and DCX already has Challenger, and Ford already has Diesel in the F150, then Honda does not have a Diesel yet..

spin it whatever way you like - I cannot walk to a dealer and buy one .. and I will not be able to for another 3 years ... so again - no they do not have a diesel - they have a project, that has a timeline. They came up with a solution and are developing it to production version - they are working on their diesel.. and will be for another 3 years ... then, they should be among the first to introduce Diesels to US ...

That is all .. but I know you will find another reason to call me an Elbonian... just because you have nothing else to argue about .. or maybe in your neck of the woods the size of one's balls is measured in how many foreigners they try to insult..

Igor

Edited by igor

ROFL ...

again . if it was finished - it would be offered NOW .. not in 3 years ... go grow roots .. you pick out any PR spin Ford attempts, but eat Honda's PR from A to Z and claim to be holy scripture or something ...

Again ... unless you claim that Ford has developed a B-car, that GM already has Camaro and DCX already has Challenger, and Ford already has Diesel in the F150, then Honda does not have a Diesel yet..

Yes they have a diesel. They do not have the diesel in production in NA. I only said they had a diesel and the technology. Never said it was in production. Try an English as a second language course.

spin it whatever way you like - I cannot walk to a dealer and buy one .. and I will not be able to for another 3 years ... so again - no they do not have a diesel - they have a project, that has a timeline. They came up with a solution and are developing it to production version - they are working on their diesel.. and will be for another 3 years ... then, they should be among the first to introduce Diesels to US ...

The diesel has been shown to the press. It is operational. Ford probably has a top secret parallel operation to develop the same diesel system. Unfortunately Honda will have the patents and Ford will need to pay for the rights to the system even though Ford designed and engineered with no knowledge of the Honda system.

That is all .. but I know you will find another reason to call me an Elbonian... just because you have nothing else to argue about .. or maybe in your neck of the woods the size of one's balls is measured in how many foreigners they try to insult..

Igor

The angry Elbonian strikes again..

Edited by Bluecon