2017 3.0 MKZ Noise Issue

May not be in the right forum to post this but I guess the old "Tech" site is gone.

Car runs fine but frequently at highway speed I will get a loud  humming noise-wouldn't call it a vibration but it is closer to  a "low roar".  Back off throttle it continues then just as quick as  it comes on it goes  away.

Just  the other  day, no noise present  but I looked at left info screen and this shows up .."Drive Control Malfunction Service Required". Did it again today- the screen- and I decided to stop in at dealer.  Service"Writer" grabs a tech who happened to be in office and comes back with..."drive it not a serious issue"  but I'm scheduled to bring in on  Mar 11.

Any opinions??

Car runs great- and I  have to say, I  enjoy the 400 HP without using it all the time?.  Thanks to this site when my 2010

SHO was pushing 120,000 trouble free miles I started looking for a CPO SHO and could  not find anything in Northeast I liked.  Then a couple of  you suggested looking for a Fusion Sport with 2.7 or an MKZ with the 3.0T.   Found this  MKZ in upstate NY-worth the drive to get it!

Once again another great car that Ford chose not to advertise in anyway.

Does your MKZ have an active exhaust system?  Combined with your other issue, it may be a weak battery.  Voltage drops just after starting when all the system checks are run, so the diagnostics fail.  Same if you have a large transient load switched on while driving.

My wife got all sorts of malfunction indicators when the battery on her Lincoln failed.  Replaced the battery and all was well.  2020 was tough on batteries.  Not much driving so the battery slowly drained and then deteriorated such that it couldn’t be recharged to full capacity.

1 hour ago, slemke said:

Does your MKZ have an active exhaust system?  Combined with your other issue, it may be a weak battery.  Voltage drops just after starting when all the system checks are run, so the diagnostics fail.  Same if you have a large transient load switched on while driving.

My wife got all sorts of malfunction indicators when the battery on her Lincoln failed.  Replaced the battery and all was well.  2020 was tough on batteries.  Not much driving so the battery slowly drained and then deteriorated such that it couldn’t be recharged to full capacity.

"S"- not sure what an "active exhaust system is"-it has whatever was stock.   As for the battery, never any indication of a problem- and the noise I was referring to only happens sporadically at highway (65+) speed.

Did your wife ever have a ..."Drive Control Malfunction Service Required"  message??

Active exhaust is a Mustang and Raptor thing - bypasses the mufflers.  MKZ never had it.  If the battery is original it’s past due - have the CCAs checked and/or just replace it as a preventative measure.  At the least you can rule it out.  They do cause strange problems when they’re weak but still crank the vehicle.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Active exhaust is a Mustang and Raptor thing - bypasses the mufflers.  MKZ never had it.  If the battery is original it’s past due - have the CCAs checked and/or just replace it as a preventative measure.  At the least you can rule it out.  They do cause strange problems when they’re weak but still crank the vehicle.

AK

Thx- old dude that I am I always  associated a battery issue with occasional lazy turnover-in particular on a cold start.  I did learn my lesson though with my SHO as well as the wife's Explorer as both one day just suddenly would not crank-nothing-not even a grunt.  Dealer service manager  told me the biggest issue today is everything is  fed by relays..no clue if  that is BS or fact.

In any case how would that have anything to do with the loud humming noise at highway speed????

3 hours ago, Bob Rosadini said:

AK

Thx- old dude that I am I always  associated a battery issue with occasional lazy turnover-in particular on a cold start.  I did learn my lesson though with my SHO as well as the wife's Explorer as both one day just suddenly would not crank-nothing-not even a grunt.  Dealer service manager  told me the biggest issue today is everything is  fed by relays..no clue if  that is BS or fact.

In any case how would that have anything to do with the loud humming noise at highway speed????

It probably doesn’t but it might fix the error message and get that out of the way.  And you never know - the noise might magically disappear.  If not then it’s one less thing to troubleshoot.

4 hours ago, akirby said:

It probably doesn’t but it might fix the error message and get that out of the way.  And you never know - the noise might magically disappear.  If not then it’s one less thing to troubleshoot.

Agree-after I sent my thought I said.."and the two issues may not even be related"

How many times have you tried to diagnose a couple of issues thinking they were related??  Wrong move.

34 minutes ago, Bob Rosadini said:

How many times have you tried to diagnose a couple of issues thinking they were related??  Wrong move.

I have 35 years in IT starting as a software developer.  Early on I made all sorts of assumptions about things that were or were not related and things that could or could not be possible,  After you get burned a few times doing that you learn not to trust or assume anything,

Case in point - we had an application that was passing messages back and forth and messages were being delivered to the wrong place,  so we put in all sorts of debug code to track the messages and the debug said message A was delivered to queue 1 but when queue 1 was read it was message B.  It turned out this was a very early symmetric multiprocessor computer and under heavy load the CPUs would overwrite each other’s memory inside the operating system.  You just assume the operating system works properly or crashes.  Live and learn.

22 hours ago, Bob Rosadini said:

"S"- not sure what an "active exhaust system is"-it has whatever was stock.   As for the battery, never any indication of a problem- and the noise I was referring to only happens sporadically at highway (65+) speed.

Did your wife ever have a ..."Drive Control Malfunction Service Required"  message??

Multiple “door malfunction “ even though the electronic latches still work, it was telling us how to use the emergency release, a 4wd error and a couple others.  May have been drive mode.

I had checked the battery voltage and noticed it was low.  Put a charger on it and it charged for a couple minutes and indicated it was full.  It would crank right over, but give an assortment of error indicators to my wife.  When I checked the battery again, it was at a low voltage.

The Lincoln has an AGM battery which seemed to behave differently than the regular lead acid in all my other vehicles. In my SHO, the battery goes from no problem cranking over to the no crank conditionMy ‘99 F150 just cranks slow and won’t start when the battery goes.

16 hours ago, akirby said:

I have 35 years in IT starting as a software developer.  Early on I made all sorts of assumptions about things that were or were not related and things that could or could not be possible,  After you get burned a few times doing that you learn not to trust or assume anything,

Case in point - we had an application that was passing messages back and forth and messages were being delivered to the wrong place,  so we put in all sorts of debug code to track the messages and the debug said message A was delivered to queue 1 but when queue 1 was read it was message B.  It turned out this was a very early symmetric multiprocessor computer and under heavy load the CPUs would overwrite each other’s memory inside the operating system.  You just assume the operating system works properly or crashes.  Live and learn.

And that is what 35 years of experience does....I shudder when I hear about all the "deals" senior people get in Ford and every other big company.....so much talent goes out the door.  Back when I was working and had to fly everytime I would board and the cockpit door was open my  comfort level went up when I saw guys in the seats with some grey hair?

14 hours ago, slemke said:

Multiple “door malfunction “ even though the electronic latches still work, it was telling us how to use the emergency release, a 4wd error and a couple others.  May have been drive mode.

I had checked the battery voltage and noticed it was low.  Put a charger on it and it charged for a couple minutes and indicated it was full.  It would crank right over, but give an assortment of error indicators to my wife.  When I checked the battery again, it was at a low voltage.

The Lincoln has an AGM battery which seemed to behave differently than the regular lead acid in all my other vehicles. In my SHO, the battery goes from no problem cranking over to the no crank conditionMy ‘99 F150 just cranks slow and won’t start when the battery goes.

Well I would add to your thought....I have all sorts of inconsistent situations...sometimes the "Lincoln" graphic shows up on pavement when I open door, sometimes the mirrors fold when I get out of car, etc etc.

58 minutes ago, Bob Rosadini said:

And that is what 35 years of experience does....I shudder when I hear about all the "deals" senior people get in Ford and every other big company.....so much talent goes out the door.  Back when I was working and had to fly everytime I would board and the cockpit door was open my  comfort level went up when I saw guys in the seats with some grey hair?

Tell me about it.  We just had a mass exodus of mostly grey hairs when they changed the retirement benefits effective 1/1/22.  It was a no brainer for anyone planning to retire within a couple of years and a lot of others.  I lost several subject matter experts which is really impacting my tasks.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/23/2022 at 12:55 PM, Bob Rosadini said:

May not be in the right forum to post this but I guess the old "Tech" site is gone.

Car runs fine but frequently at highway speed I will get a loud  humming noise-wouldn't call it a vibration but it is closer to  a "low roar".  Back off throttle it continues then just as quick as  it comes on it goes  away.

Just  the other  day, no noise present  but I looked at left info screen and this shows up .."Drive Control Malfunction Service Required". Did it again today- the screen- and I decided to stop in at dealer.  Service"Writer" grabs a tech who happened to be in office and comes back with..."drive it not a serious issue"  but I'm scheduled to bring in on  Mar 11.

Any opinions??

Car runs great- and I  have to say, I  enjoy the 400 HP without using it all the time?.  Thanks to this site when my 2010

SHO was pushing 120,000 trouble free miles I started looking for a CPO SHO and could  not find anything in Northeast I liked.  Then a couple of  you suggested looking for a Fusion Sport with 2.7 or an MKZ with the 3.0T.   Found this  MKZ in upstate NY-worth the drive to get it!

Once again another great car that Ford chose not to advertise in anyway.

Well took car in today. Picked it up and guess what.  I have a 150 buck charge as

CONCERN/CAUSE.."Check Drive Control Malfunction Light on"..Verified concern, pulled code P1758 VDM,Pressure solenoid control system incorrect current. Visual inspection shows right front ride height sensor disconnected, found mount for level sensor bent, sensor disconnected."

CORRECTION.."Bent Sensor mount straight, reconnected the sensor arm, cleared codes, Message now gone, light is off"

As for the humming noise? road tested like  15 miles and nothing.

I get a charge because I "must have hit something".  Trust me if I hit anything in road it wasn't big enough for me to hear it or feel it.   Got it home and without putting on jack, just looking under it appears to me NOTHING is exposed as most of front end is protected by shields..to be continued.?