F350 DRW bed capacity

Don’t forget to account for your vehicle passengers, hitch, and anything else in you bed in you total payload weight with your pin weight.  Have you had your pin weight measured? Almost 25% pin weight seems high. I think the rule of thumb is 10-20% of trailer weight is your pin weight.

ALso curious to see the actual Payload weights.

9 hours ago, hayweezie said:

Don’t forget to account for your vehicle passengers, hitch, and anything else in you bed in you total payload weight with your pin weight.  Have you had your pin weight measured? Almost 25% pin weight seems high. I think the rule of thumb is 10-20% of trailer weight is your pin weight.

ALso curious to see the actual Payload weights.

Seems like everyone has a different "rule of thumb"!  Everywhere I look, I see something different! 

8 hours ago, Uconnrick said:

My 16 Lariat dually has a payload capacity of 5,465 lbs. My fiver is close to 21,000 lbs loaded and I have plenty of capacity even with a 43 gal auxiliary fuel tank. Last time I was weighed, the pin weight was 4,275 lbs. You will be fine.

Thanks for the confirmation.  I'm sure that the Platinum won't get me to 5465 but it seems there will be plenty of margin.  

59 minutes ago, Glenn in AZ said:

Seems like everyone has a different "rule of thumb"!  Everywhere I look, I see something different! 

I'm going to reweigh on our way home, and also get my truck weighed separately.  On the way down to FL I was about 25% using a surrogate truck weight.Kind of makes sense, I have a lot of heavy stuff in the front compartment, and we were carrying a lot of wine and ammo :)

10 hours ago, Glenn in AZ said:

See below from 2022 Towing Guide.  You may already know or have seen all this but in case you haven't, this may help clear up what Ford recommends on trailer weight percentage for conventional and 5th wheel and goose neck tongue weights.  Looks like 15% is recommended for 5th wheel and goose neck tongue weight but it also says to not exceed the Gross Axle Weight Rating (GAWR) which might be a lot more than 15% for a trailer that is not at maximum weight.  Good luck, I'm not a 5th wheel or goose neck expert but I do some conventional towing up to about 13K trailer weight and I try to keep my tongue weight between 10%-15% but it's much more important since the load is not right over the axle, creates a sizable moment around the rear axle which can lift the front end too much which is dangerous for steering and braking.

image.thumb.png.f62700028a47a9fccd06e2362f2b7790.png

image.thumb.png.bbf7dc6dd775400c646083e5ca96f605.png

Edited by 787Toolman

4 hours ago, 787Toolman said:

See below from 2022 Towing Guide.  You may already know or have seen all this but in case you haven't, this may help clear up what Ford recommends on trailer weight percentage for conventional and 5th wheel and goose neck tongue weights.  Looks like 15% is recommended for 5th wheel and goose neck tongue weight but it also says to not exceed the Gross Axle Weight Rating (GAWR) which might be a lot more than 15% for a trailer that is not at maximum weight.  Good luck, I'm not a 5th wheel or goose neck expert but I do some conventional towing up to about 13K trailer weight and I try to keep my tongue weight between 10%-15% but it's much more important since the load is not right over the axle, creates a sizable moment around the rear axle which can lift the front end too much which is dangerous for steering and braking.

image.thumb.png.f62700028a47a9fccd06e2362f2b7790.png

image.thumb.png.bbf7dc6dd775400c646083e5ca96f605.png

image.png

Yes, I've seen this but when I read it, I think Ford is telling you what the minimum pin weight should be for safe towing.  Real world examples from dry weights of 5ers are more like 22%+/- 3%.  That doesn't include anything you might load into the trailer.  That's why I'm looking for real bed capacities.  

In any case, it looks like the F-350 DRW in any configuration will be able to handle whatever I throw at it.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Glenn in AZ said:

Looking for real world bed capacities for F350 DRW Platinum with sun roof.

The pin weight of my 5er could get to 4000 lbs and I  don't want to tow overweight.

The trailer itself could weigh almost 17,000 so I kbow that's not going to be a problem in itself.

My 2016 F-350 DRW Lariat had a payload of about 5,500 lbs. With the 5'ers FW tank full, my pin weight was about 4,500 lbs and I had no issues.

14 hours ago, road turtle said:

I have a lot of heavy stuff in the front compartment, and we were carrying a lot of wine and ammo :)

You need to reduce weight to conserve fuel...I suggest find a PROPER place to dispose of wine and ammo. There is just such a place I know of, just north of Charlotte NC. Exit there, 5 miles, left turn, 2nd house on road, has a 2022 silver f350 sitting in the driveway.? (is proper ammo disposal place!)

Edited by IUEC135ELEVATOR
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, IUEC135ELEVATOR said:

You need to reduce weight to conserve fuel...I suggest find a PROPER place to dispose of wine and ammo. There is just such a place I know of, just north of Charlotte NC. Exit there, 5 miles, left turn, 2nd house on road, has a 2022 silver f350 sitting in the driveway.? (is proper ammo disposal place!)

Dangit Elevator, you are always one step ahead of me and probably most, it never dawned on me to help Glenn with his excess cargo, the last thing we'd want is for Glenn to blow a tire or overload his new truck. I'm not a wine drinker but my wife is, if the ammo is 9mm or 5.56mm or .223, I can offer a drop off location too.  Glenn, just kidding man, Elevator is a funny man and I love that so I couldn't resist to play along, I love good humor, it's important to a good quality of life IMHO.

41 minutes ago, 787Toolman said:

Dangit Elevator, you are always one step ahead of me and probably most, it never dawned on me to help Glenn with his excess cargo, the last thing we'd want is for Glenn to blow a tire or overload his new truck. I'm not a wine drinker but my wife is, if the ammo is 9mm or 5.56mm or .223, I can offer a drop off location too.  Glenn, just kidding man, Elevator is a funny man and I love that so I couldn't resist to play along, I love good humor, it's important to a good quality of life IMHO.

No worries!

I also appreciate good humor.  My taste runs towards good dark Mexican beer but I won't turn my nose up to free wine!!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, IUEC135ELEVATOR said:

Sorry, got rid of some ammo today in an IDPA competition.  Came home and wife helped my drain another bottle :)

Our trip ALMOST took us past you.  Long story, which you wouldn't care about, we're heading up and stopping in TN for a couple of days :)

• Like 1

On 3/12/2022 at 2:55 PM, Glenn in AZ said:

Yes, I've seen this but when I read it, I think Ford is telling you what the minimum pin weight should be for safe towing.  Real world examples from dry weights of 5ers are more like 22%+/- 3%.  That doesn't include anything you might load into the trailer.  That's why I'm looking for real bed capacities.  

In any case, it looks like the F-350 DRW in any configuration will be able to handle whatever I throw at it.

If you're going to F350 DRW, might as well step up to F450 and get the improved turning radius and bigger brakes

• Like 1

1 hour ago, road turtle said:

If you're going to F350 DRW, might as well step up to F450 and get the improved turning radius and bigger brakes

Well, not so fast!

It turns out that an F450 does not have as much hauling capacity as a F350 DRW!  It's a bit weird but it has to do with the weight of the extra heavy duty bits on the truck taking away from the frame's overall capacity to haul.  It's counter-intuitive but makes sense once you look at the details.  This also has an effect on the max trailer weight for each of these vehicles...around 2100lbs for the 4x4 CC 6.7!

On 3/13/2022 at 8:14 PM, Glenn in AZ said:

Well, not so fast!

It turns out that an F450 does not have as much hauling capacity as a F350 DRW!  It's a bit weird but it has to do with the weight of the extra heavy duty bits on the truck taking away from the frame's overall capacity to haul.  It's counter-intuitive but makes sense once you look at the details.  This also has an effect on the max trailer weight for each of these vehicles...around 2100lbs for the 4x4 CC 6.7!

By classifying the F-450 as a Class 3 truck, it is limited to only 14,000lb, rather than up to 16,000 lbs of a Class 4 truck. This is the reason for the reduced payload over a F-350 DRW. The F-450 is probably capable of carrying significantly more payload, it is mostly limited by the class 3 classification.