1 hour ago, campingdude said:

Can someone explain how the super duty dealer allocations are distributed. I haven't seen my dealer get any super duty's recently.   

The current situation has nothing to do with allocations.  Dealers have more allocations than Ford can build and they’re all sold.  The only way a dealer is getting a stock order is if all the retail orders have parts issues.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, akirby said:

The current situation has nothing to do with allocations.  Dealers have more allocations than Ford can build and they’re all sold.  The only way a dealer is getting a stock order is if all the retail orders have parts issues.

Sorry I meant customer order allocations, I've read on other forums that dealers have a certain amount of customer order allocations per month and my dealer doesn't seem like they want to share any info.  

30 minutes ago, campingdude said:

Sorry I meant customer order allocations, I've read on other forums that dealers have a certain amount of customer order allocations per month and my dealer doesn't seem like they want to share any info.  

Dealers get extra allocations for COVP orders - they aren’t limited each month.  Allocation isn’t an issue.

I think what you’re saying is if Ford schedules 8000 trucks each week and there are 50,000 COVP order - how many does each dealer get.  And that’s where it gets complicated because of the huge backlog.  I don’t think anyone here knows that answer - the scheduling system has an algorithm to decide maybe with some manual input.

17 minutes ago, akirby said:

Dealers get extra allocations for COVP orders - they aren’t limited each month.  Allocation isn’t an issue.

I think what you’re saying is if Ford schedules 8000 trucks each week and there are 50,000 COVP order - how many does each dealer get.  And that’s where it gets complicated because of the huge backlog.  I don’t think anyone here knows that answer - the scheduling system has an algorithm to decide maybe with some manual input.

Dearborn determines how many vehicles they can schedule for production for each vehicle line. That number gets broken down and distributed to each region which then further determines the allocation for each regional zone and then for each dealership within the individual zones. Traditionally, the allocation numbers were sales weighted, basically a "Turn & Earn" basis, meaning the more vehicles sold, the more potential allocation a Dealer could earn. A Dealer could accept or refuse allocation offered or request a supplement for additional allocation if available.

Years ago, my dealership was known as "Birdland" and was one of the top 10 Thunderbird dealerships in the country and the largest Thunderbird dealership from Washington, D.C. to the Canadian border. At the end of the 1986 Model Year, the Ford regional office called our Dealer Principal and told him that they had extra allocation for 50 Thunderbirds if we were interested. We took all 50, placed the orders within hours and all 50 vehicles were scheduled, produced and delivered within 3.5 weeks! 

Dealers used to be able to add a B16 code to stock orders which authorized Ford to schedule those orders above the Dealer's allocation. It was the end of the Model Year (1987?) and I submitted 75 Taurus orders with the B16 code to see if we could get additional inventory. They scheduled all 75 vehicles the next day, scheduled with consecutive VIN numbers and they were all delivered to the dealership on the same day. Imagine seeing 9 car carriers arrive at the same time in the shopping mall parking lot across the street from the dealership!     

The process has gotten more complex within the past year or so. Certain new vehicles have started with a reservation process that were then converted to orders and the retail reservations and orders overwhelmed the available production capacity pushing the excess, unscheduled retail orders to the following Model Year. Further, Ford has skewed the allocation for specific vehicle lines to supply more inventory or retail units to select markets.

Ford created the COVP (Customer Order Verification Program) system to address the tremendous increase in retail customer factory orders and to provide incremental allocation and priority scheduling to satisfy the increased retail demand. Even so, the scheduling and production process is still overwhelmed with the retail demand vs. supply and all the factors involved including commodity restraints, microchip shortages, supplier issues, supply chain issues, plant constraints, interrupted plant operations, etc. 

Ford is addressing the new market conditions as best it can, implementing new processes and making adjustments as needed in order to more successfully meet the demands of customers, market conditions and Dealers.     

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ice-capades said:

Dearborn determines how many vehicles they can schedule for production for each vehicle line. That number gets broken down and distributed to each region which then further determines the allocation for each regional zone and then for each dealership within the individual zones. Traditionally, the allocation numbers were sales weighted, basically a "Turn & Earn" basis, meaning the more vehicles sold, the more potential allocation a Dealer could earn. A Dealer could accept or refuse allocation offered or request a supplement for additional allocation if available.

Years ago, my dealership was known as "Birdland" and was one of the top 10 Thunderbird dealerships in the country and the largest Thunderbird dealership from Washington, D.C. to the Canadian border. At the end of the 1986 Model Year, the Ford regional office called our Dealer Principal and told him that they had extra allocation for 50 Thunderbirds if we were interested. We took all 50, placed the orders within hours and all 50 vehicles were scheduled, produced and delivered within 3.5 weeks! 

Dealers used to be able to add a B16 code to stock orders which authorized Ford to schedule those orders above the Dealer's allocation. It was the end of the Model Year (1987?) and I submitted 75 Taurus orders with the B16 code to see if we could get additional inventory. They scheduled all 75 vehicles the next day, scheduled with consecutive VIN numbers and they were all delivered to the dealership on the same day. Imagine seeing 9 car carriers arrive at the same time in the shopping mall parking lot across the street from the dealership!     

The process has gotten more complex within the past year or so. Certain new vehicles have started with a reservation process that were then converted to orders and the retail reservations and orders overwhelmed the available production capacity pushing the excess, unscheduled retail orders to the following Model Year. Further, Ford has skewed the allocation for specific vehicle lines to supply more inventory or retail units to select markets.

Ford created the COVP (Customer Order Verification Program) system to address the tremendous increase in retail customer factory orders and to provide incremental allocation and priority scheduling to satisfy the increased retail demand. Even so, the scheduling and production process is still overwhelmed with the retail demand vs. supply and all the factors involved including commodity restraints, microchip shortages, supplier issues, supply chain issues, plant constraints, interrupted plant operations, etc. 

Ford is addressing the new market conditions as best it can, implementing new processes and making adjustments as needed in order to more successfully meet the demands of customers, market conditions and Dealers.     

Thanks for the info, with all that you mentioned about the current process and conditions is it possible for all 22’ Super Duty’s to be built by the 12-21-22 build out day? 

1 hour ago, campingdude said:

Thanks for the info, with all that you mentioned about the current process and conditions is it possible for all 22’ Super Duty’s to be built by the 12-21-22 build out day? 

How in the hell would any of us know that?  Ford doesn’t even know.

Sorry for being blunt but these questions are getting ridiculous.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, akirby said:

How in the hell would any of us know that?  Ford doesn’t even know.

Sorry for being blunt but these questions are getting ridiculous.

Wow! Asking for opinions maybe someone would have some insight. Maybe someone else will have a decent response. 

4 hours ago, campingdude said:

Ford has the production capacity.  The problem is parts availability.  They have reported issues with over 30 suppliers not delivering parts on time. Over the last couple months they have had weeks where they’ve had to cut shifts or shut down the plant entirely due to lack of parts.   No one knows when or how long it’s going to take to get their truck built.  It’s just too unpredictable.  Hang in there.  There are  thousands of us in the same boat.  

Edited by PineNut
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, campingdude said:

2022MY Super Duty "Balance Out" on 12-21-2022 is just speculation. Ford has not yet released the 2022/2023MY changeover schedule. 

• Like 1

On 4/7/2022 at 3:35 PM, campingdude said:

Ford would love to sell you a ‘22. Whether they have the parts to build yours is up in the air. 

5 hours ago, le engineer said:

Ford would love to sell you a ‘22. Whether they have the parts to build yours is up in the air. 

Sorry, but that is incorrect.

Dealers can NO longer sell you a 22MY Super Duty, as the order bank closed on 1st April 2022. 

2 hours ago, Rangers09 said:

Sorry, but that is incorrect.

Dealers can NO longer sell you a 22MY Super Duty, as the order bank closed on 1st April 2022. 

You’re right, if the order has yet to be placed. I read the question as “will my ‘22 order get built or cancelled?”  

18 minutes ago, le engineer said:

You’re right, if the order has yet to be placed. I read the question as “will my ‘22 order get built or cancelled?”  

Just noted that you just joined the forum. You should also be aware that the poster you quoted provided information that has not been issued by Ford. At this time, Ford has not published any end date for 22MY SD.

On 4/7/2022 at 9:00 PM, campingdude said:

Wow! Asking for opinions maybe someone would have some insight. Maybe someone else will have a decent response. 

Although @akirby seems a little harsh, I can see how forum moderators would end up tired of the same questions over and over. Especially from those who just ordered a truck and then sauntered onto the forums since there's nothing better to do while waiting (helplessly) for your truck to be built. In today's world, all manufacturers (not only Ford) are struggling to adapt to a new business model.

If there was a clear answer to any of these questions, it would be published by the manufacturers themselves and not left for speculation on community-run forums.

From the stats calculated on other forums (based on unreliable user-provided data) it looks like you can expect likely 4 or 5 months - but I've also seen others wait longer...

I'm not speaking from experience, I'm speaking from what I've learned by trolling the posts since I ordered on March 5th. Dealer told me June, but he's got no control over anything so I won't hold it against him if I see delays. I'm praying for end of June, but I'll take it when I get it.

I was harsh for two reasons.  One, Ford hasn’t released any info on the 2022/2023 model changeover.  Two - the supply chain issues are well known not just for vehicles but everything and there is nothing that says it will get better.  So for anyone to speculate about what will happen with supply chain issues later this year is just silly.

What we do know is there are 250k orders in the order bank and they would normally produce about 8000 units per week.  I assume at least half of those 250k are retail.  With a max of about 30 weeks left it’s certainly possible but nobody can predict what will happen the next 8 months.

• Like 4