Ford February 2023 Sales - Up 21.9%

In truth, a SWB Transit Custom probably covers the lower end of the van market better than a LWB Transit Connect. The slightly larger SWB Transit Custom with its greater load capacity probably sits just  below  the GVW limit for CAFE but offers Ford a way of continuing a lighter van that neatly avoids developing a US based Transit Connect. Maxing out GVM is not the point, a bigger cargo space is.

Edited by jpd80

3 hours ago, jpd80 said:

In truth, a SWB Transit Custom probably covers the lower end of the van market better than a LWB Transit Connect. The slightly larger SWB Transit Custom with its greater load capacity probably sits just above the GVW limit for CAFE. 

Ford has one of the best global model lineups, the only problem is they are not selling these models in all the markets that need them. 

Example: Subcompacts (both cars and crossovers) are still very popular in Asia (for obvious reasons), yet Ford refuses to manufacture and sell the Puma in the region. Not everyone in Asia needs a pickup or a big SUV.

Edited by AM222

21 hours ago, bzcat said:

European van markets are not distorted by CAFE footprint and EPA emission cutoff at 8500 lbs GVWR. This is why Ford can offer 4 vans in different sizes. (it is distorted in other ways - e.g. CO2 emission targets and displacement based taxes that favors diesel over gas)

I have explained the problem with Transit Custom before... it is in no-man's land in terms of GVWR. It is about 80% size of Transit but it is under 8500 lbs cutoff so it is subject to light duty vehicle emission. Ford would rather just sell you a Transit T150 (which at 8505 lbs is actually a class 2b like F-250) which places it in less stringent emission class and weighted impact to CAFE. And chances are if you want a van in Transit Custom size, you can easily make do with a Transit so Ford doesn't want to bother. And this is reflected in how fleet managers make the decision... midsize vans have never sold well in the US because you can "abuse" a full size to do the job without much cost penalty. This is why VW and Toyota don't want to sell Transporter and Hiace (the two best selling work vans outside the US)... it just doesn't make sense in the US given the emission and CAFE regulations.

Transit Connect made sense because it is physically small, which means there is actually a big demand in urban area for such a small van. You can't "abuse" a full size Transit to do the job of Transit Connect if you don't have the physical room (e.g. tight parking, low garage roof etc). 

The business case for Transit Connect is fundamentally sound. Ford went as far as sending out RFP for Tier 1 suppliers for a new generation based on Maverick only to cancel it because it can't keep up with demand as is. 

https://nhcleancities.org/2016/04/various-vehicle-weight-classes-matter/

Thanks for reply.  Given that information, why do you suppose Ford is testing Custom Transit in US?  It has been spotted and photographed already.

Ford is obviously leaving a big hole in the market in which the near 7 foot wide and tall Transit won't fit. But can Ford, a company which sees  pickups first and SUVs second as the solution for every market bring them selves to offer a mass market sized van like the Transit Custom in the U.S.?

20 hours ago, zipnzap said:

Much larger than a Connect. About Chevy Astro and Aerostar size.

It was made to replace

Another issue is that, unlike the Astro and Aerostar, it's FWD only.

Previous Custom was FWD only as far as I know, but that seems to have changed.

From Parker’s Website, it appears the new Custom has a new chassis which includes AWD option, and also has independent rear suspension.  I recall reading somewhere that the BEV Custom had the electric drive motor mounted directly to rear, therefore RWD.  That would make powertrain layout similar to E-Transit except not needing a separate subframe for E-Transit’s dedicated IRS and drive motor.  That feature should be expected since chassis was designed for BEV application from onset.

https://www.parkers.co.uk/vans-pickups/news/2023/ford-e-tourneo-custom-2023-engines-trims-and-pricing/

10 hours ago, AM222 said:

Ford has one of the best global model lineups, the only problem is they are not selling these models in all the markets that need them. 

Example: Subcompacts (both cars and crossovers) are still very popular in Asia (for obvious reasons), yet Ford refuses to manufacture and sell the Puma in the region. Not everyone in Asia needs a pickup or a big SUV.

I meant to say that Transit Custom is below the CAFE GVM limit…sorry.

14 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Maxing out GVM is not the point, a bigger cargo space is.

Not only volume, but cargo height could make a big difference also. I haven’t seen cargo data for new Custom yet, but the previous model’s high roof was roughly mid way between low- and high-roof full-size vans in cargo height.  The L2H2 was nearly as large as an extended Econoline in volume but in a much smaller footprint (primarily due to extra height).  Obviously some adults won’t be able to stand completely upright, but most will.  Even those who can’t stand fully won’t have to stoop as much.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rick73 said:

Thanks for reply.  Given that information, why do you suppose Ford is testing Custom Transit in US?  It has been spotted and photographed already.

Ford tests all kinds of Chinese models here too doesn't mean they are coming here. 

6 hours ago, Rick73 said:

Previous Custom was FWD only as far as I know, but that seems to have changed.

From Parker’s Website, it appears the new Custom has a new chassis which includes AWD option, and also has independent rear suspension.  I recall reading somewhere that the BEV Custom had the electric drive motor mounted directly to rear, therefore RWD.  That would make powertrain layout similar to E-Transit except not needing a separate subframe for E-Transit’s dedicated IRS and drive motor.  That feature should be expected since chassis was designed for BEV application from onset.

https://www.parkers.co.uk/vans-pickups/news/2023/ford-e-tourneo-custom-2023-engines-trims-and-pricing/

Previous gen Transit Custom launched with FWD only 2 wheelbase and 2 roof height. You had to step up to the big Transit to get AWD.

E-Transit Custom is indeed RWD. I wonder if it is the same basic drivetrain package as E-Transit. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, bzcat said:

I wonder if it is the same basic drivetrain package as E-Transit. 

Electrical specs are similar but not identical.  E-Transit has 198 kW motor whereas Custom is said to have 160 kW in article.  I suppose it’s possible both motors are physically the same but used differently; though I doubt it.  It’s easy enough to reduce power to motor, but I expect Ford engineering did everything possible to reduce physical size in order for Custom van to have a lower floor in rear.

Article states battery capacity for the smaller Custom is 74 kWh but I did not see if rating is for useable or maximum capacity.  Larger E-Transit specs list battery at only 68 kWh useable.  Due to Custom size being much smaller and lighter too, it makes sense that its range is significantly greater than E-Transit.

Edited by Rick73