Knobs

Rifle

Driving a 2021 Edge with the big screen. I hate going through all of the gyrations to work the climate controls. I see the 2023 Escape with the larger screen is the same way. PLEASE bring back simple radio and climate control knobs! 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Rifle said:

Driving a 2021 Edge with the big screen. I hate going through all of the gyrations to work the climate controls. I see the 2023 Escape with the larger screen is the same way. PLEASE bring back simple radio and climate control knobs! 

Set the temp and leave it alone.  Or adjust the temp if necessary.  

16 hours ago, akirby said:

Set the temp and leave it alone.  Or adjust the temp if necessary.  

It was just a suggestion.

Thanks for the advice on how to operate it. Maybe it should be set at the factory, and tell the owner, not to adjust it. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Rifle said:

It was just a suggestion.

Thanks for the advice on how to operate it. Maybe it should be set at the factory, and tell the owner, not to adjust it. 

Maybe you should read the owners manual then try it and see how it works before complaining about it.  With auto it selects floor vent for heat, dash vent for ac and automatically controls the fan speed and temp.  You just adjust the temp same as you would on your home thermostat.  It works great.

59 minutes ago, akirby said:

Maybe you should read the owners manual then try it and see how it works before complaining about it.  With auto it selects floor vent for heat, dash vent for ac and automatically controls the fan speed and temp.  You just adjust the temp same as you would on your home thermostat.  It works great.

That's the problem. I know how it works, and it's not as user friendly as other vehicles! Like I said, it was just a suggestion on the wish list thread. Didn't ask for your 2 cents!

Edited by Rifle
  • Like 2

I agree with Rifle on this one. There are too many sub screens to have to go into just to adjust the fan/temp... Auto doesn't know if there is ice on my windshield or that I just pulled up to a drive thru speaker to order something and the fan noise is too loud to hear the person taking the order... There are always going to be situations when you want to quickly adjust something without having to go into sub screens. Redundant buttons like the F-Series is much more user friendly and much safer if you need to do it while driving in traffic. Traction control off button while not in the Sync screens is another function that should not be in a sub screen. Have you ever been in the middle of an intersection waiting to make a left hand turn on a snowy day only to find out your car wont move without turning off the traction control that's buried in a vehicle settings screen. It's not a fun experience. 

Edited by scode1
  • Like 3

54 minutes ago, Rifle said:

That's the problem. I know how it works, and it's not as user friendly as other vehicles! Like I said, it was just a suggestion on the wish list thread. Didn't ask for your 2 cents!

Well that is what you get when you share your thoughts on the internet....I've owned vehicles with automatic climate control for the past 10 years and its not really an issue at all. 

Thank you Rifle and scode1 for details on your request for a better user interface and layout for infotainment and climate control on Fords that have widescreen displays. This "Wish List" section of the site is designated as "The place to tell Ford what you'd like to see", and Ford has actually implemented some of the suggestions that members of this site have posted here and on other forums. For example, earlier this year, Ford updated the software via OTA delivery in my wife's Mustang Mach-E so that the center knob works with the climate control in addition to the audio system. Ford updates Mustang Mach-E UI; now you can turn a knob to change temps | Ars Technica

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, scode1 said:

I agree with Rifle on this one. There are too many sub screens to have to go into just to adjust the fan/temp... Auto doesn't know if there is ice on my windshield or that I just pulled up to a drive thru speaker to order something and the fan noise is too loud to hear the person taking the order... There are always going to be situations when you want to quickly adjust something without having to go into sub screens. Redundant buttons like the F-Series is much more user friendly and much safer if you need to do it while driving in traffic. Traction control off button while not in the Sync screens is another function that should not be in a sub screen. Have you ever been in the middle of an intersection waiting to make a left hand turn on a snowy day only to find out your car wont move without turning off the traction control that's buried in a vehicle settings screen. It's not a fun experience. 

I’m not saying knobs are bad.  But having to use the touch screen once or twice a week isn’t a big deal.  If you’re using it every day then you’re probably not using the system the right way.  I very rarely use any knob other than the temp control.

1 hour ago, Rifle said:

I was trying to help you find a simpler solution that doesn’t require going into the screens.

I don’t know how much simpler it could be to turn the temp up or down.

31 minutes ago, akirby said:

I was trying to help you find a simpler solution that doesn’t require going into the screens.

I don’t know how much simpler it could be to turn the temp up or down.

Redundant controls are always simpler. The F150 is much better. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, akirby said:

I’m not saying knobs are bad.  But having to use the touch screen once or twice a week isn’t a big deal.  If you’re using it every day then you’re probably not using the system the right way.  I very rarely use any knob other than the temp control.

You must not live in Michigan ? last week we had temperatures in the 80's and it snowed here on Monday. We can have a large swing between our low temperatures and high temperatures in a single day in the spring and fall.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scode1 said:

We can have a large swing between our low temperatures and high temperatures in a single day in the spring and fall.

What’s your point?  In both cases you leave the temp setting at 72.  That’s the whole point of auto hvac.

Maybe you don’t understand how auto works.

Edited by akirby

33 minutes ago, akirby said:

What’s your point?  In both cases you leave the temp setting at 72.  That’s the whole point of auto hvac.

Maybe you don’t understand how auto works.

I understand how it works and obviously Ford must know that too or else it wouldn't have other options for adjustability . If it is so great then why isn't Auto the only choice? It may work well for you where you live and that's great. I think the point of the original  post is that there are too many sub screens to go though for adjustably. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, scode1 said:

I understand how it works and obviously Ford must know that too or else it wouldn't have other options for adjustability . If it is so great then why isn't Auto the only choice? It may work well for you where you live and that's great. I think the point of the original  post is that there are too many sub screens to go though for adjustably. 

If you just prefer knobs then just say that - end of discussion.  But when you try to rationalize it by saying you have to go through too many sub menus on the touch screen and our experience is that 98% of the time the sub menus aren’t needed then you’re going to get pushback.

Yes buttons are easier to use.  And if you’re a control freak that has to manually control the automatic system instead of letting it work the way it was designed then touch screen menus are inconvenient.  But if you let the auto system work the way it was designed and just adjust the temp and use the settings on the min screen it’s not an issue.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, akirby said:

If you just prefer knobs then just say that - end of discussion.  But when you try to rationalize it by saying you have to go through too many sub menus on the touch screen and our experience is that 98% of the time the sub menus aren’t needed then you’re going to get pushback.

Yes buttons are easier to use.  And if you’re a control freak that has to manually control the automatic system instead of letting it work the way it was designed then touch screen menus are inconvenient.  But if you let the auto system work the way it was designed and just adjust the temp and use the settings on the min screen it’s not an issue.

That's the point of my post. If you use the touch screen once a week, good for you. Don't need to be talked down to, by telling me to read an owners manual.  

• Like 2