2023 FORD ESCAPE NOMINATED FOR 2024 SUV OF THE YEAR

11 minutes ago, Rangers09 said:

Thank you for confirming my beliefs in the lack of relevance of these awards to the average vehicle purchaser.

At least some of the criteria for Motor Trend OTY awards should be relevant to the average new vehicle customer. The 6 criteria are as follows. MotorTrend Car, Truck, and SUV of the Year: Our Criteria Explained

1. Advancement in Design
  2. Efficiency
  3. Engineering Excellence
  4. Performance of Intended Function
  5. Safety
  6. Value

35 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Yes, seriously. Jim Hackett is not only a good businessman but also a true subject matter expert with design thinking. IDEO wrote an excellent article in 2019 on Hackett's accomplishments incorporating design thinking into all aspects of Ford Motor Company, including product design. How Design is Driving Ford to Reimagine What a Car Company Can Be | IDEO

Compared to C2 platform Escape, Bronco Sport and Maverick benefitted from a more mature design ecosystem and product development process at Ford Motor Company. 

So your source for why Hackett is good is an advertisement from a consulting company he hired?  LOL...yeah, I mean that's great proof.   Even so, I even took the time to read that linked article and I must say it was an impressive amount of buzzwords that collectively said nothing.    

I particularly like this quote:  "Having cross-functional teams from engineering, design, purchasing and more, has been a breakthrough, because they gain empathy and respect for each other’s practices and work together, rather than sitting in silos that tend to block each other’s effort."  I hate to break this to you but that was not something new at Ford.   Every week at Ford for 10+ years (pre-Hackett) I sat in numerous cross functional meetings to do exactly what that article states.   

This article, from an independent source, is a more accurate portrayal of Hackett at Ford:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/georgebradt/2020/08/04/what-you-must-learn-from-jim-hacketts-failure-as-fords-ceo/?sh=331058c843b8

(NOTE:  I am not commenting on Hackett as a person or his business dealings at any other company.  I have no working knowledge of whether he was any good or not at the other places.  I do know, though, that he was a miserable failure at Ford.)

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

At least some of the criteria for Motor Trend OTY awards should be relevant to the average new vehicle customer. The 6 criteria are as follows. MotorTrend Car, Truck, and SUV of the Year: Our Criteria Explained

1. Advertising plan
  2. Advertising plan
  3. Advertising plan
  4. Advertising plan
  5. Advertising plan
  6. Advertising plan

Fixed it for you

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

15 hours ago, rperez817 said:

1. Advancement in Design
  2. Efficiency
  3. Engineering Excellence
  4. Performance of Intended Function
  5. Safety
  6. Value

All reasonable criteria, but the consumer will determine if they are relevant.

Since I don't expect it will outsell the Escape or many others in the class, it will be further proof of how out of touch the judges are with the car buying public. 

1 hour ago, Rangers09 said:

All reasonable criteria, but the consumer will determine if they are relevant.

Since I don't expect it will outsell the Escape or many others in the class, it will be further proof of how out of touch the judges are with the car buying public. 

These competitions don’t mean much to normal buyers anyway.  I have never purchased a vehicle that was “best of year” as far as I recall.

I personally wouldn’t say that judges are out of touch based on lower sales volume though.  It would be like voting on who makes the best burger, and then disagreeing with results because McDonalds sells more than anyone.  I doubt that’s the judges’ intent, not that it will influence what most buyers purchase.  I agree with you that Blazer doesn’t look like a sales winner.

3 hours ago, Rangers09 said:

I don't expect it will outsell the Escape or many others in the class

1 hour ago, Rick73 said:

I agree with you that Blazer doesn’t look like a sales winner.

Motor Trend OTY competitions aren't popularity contests, though several OTY award winners go on to achieve class leading sales numbers. 

Examples. Ford F-Series (TOTY winner 2023, 2018, 2017, 2012, 2009, 2004, 1997), Honda CR-V (SOTY winner 2018, 2015), Toyota Camry (COTY winner 2007), Honda Civic (COTY winner 2006).