2023 FORD ESCAPE NOMINATED FOR 2024 SUV OF THE YEAR

2023 Escape didn't make it past the first round in the competition. Motor Trend's statement below confirms what members of this site already know, that 2023/2024 Escape simply fails to stand out in its segment.

"...there’s just too much work to do before the Escape can be considered a true award contender."

List of contenders for 2024 Motor Trend SUVOTY.

• 2024 Audi Q8 Sportback E-Tron
  • 2023 BMW X7
  • 2024 Buick Encore GX
  • 2024 Buick Envista
  • 2024 Dodge Hornet
  • 2023 Ford Escape
  • 2024 Hyundai Kona
  • 2023 Jeep Compass
  • 2024 Kia Seltos
  • 2023 Land Rover Defender 130
  • 2023 Lexus RZ
  • 2024 Mazda CX-90
  • 2024 Mercedes EQE SUV
  • 2023 Mercedes-Benz GLC300
  • 2024 Mercedes-Benz GLE
  • 2023 Nissan Ariya
  • 2023 Toyota bZ4X
  • 2023 Toyota Corolla Cross Hybrid
  • 2024 Toyota Grand Highlander
  • 2024 Volkswagen Atlas
  • 2024 Volkswagen Atlas Cross Sport

List of finalists for 2024 Motor Trend SUVOTY (one of these is the winner)

• 2024 Alfa Romeo Tonale
  • 2024 BMW X1
  • 2024 Cadillac Lyriq
  • 2024 Chevrolet Blazer
  • 2024 Chevrolet Trax
  • 2023 Genesis GV70 Electrified
  • 2024 Honda Pilot
  • 2023 Land Rover Range Rover Sport
  • 2023 Lexus RX
  • 2024 Subaru Crosstrek

Sadly, I feel the Escape has turned into another product that Ford has let wither on the vine.  Bronco Sport came to butchify the way, but the focus was turned away to a product that consumers have respected for about 20 years.  Its latest reviews are that it's overpriced, not competitive, lack-luster power train, plasticky interior for the price, just ordinary, and the competition is so much better...it didn't have to be this way....

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, ANTAUS said:

Its latest reviews are that it's overpriced, not competitive, lack-luster power train, plasticky interior for the price, just ordinary, and the competition is so much better...it didn't have to be this way....

Those reviews are accurate regarding each of the items you mentioned. Car and Driver summed it up best in its 2020 Escape SE review, which applies to a lesser extent to the 2023 refresh of that model as well.

We're all familiar with the concept: Your favorite restaurant revamps the menu, removing everything delicious and replacing it all with more expensive, less satisfying fare. "Come on in. You'll love our new menu!" Turns out this model isn't exclusive to eateries. It's also something automakers have glommed onto in recent months, most notably Ford.

One of the chief benefits of crossovers to car companies is that they tend to have higher profit margins than cars do. It makes sense that Ford would want to continue to capitalize on this by charging more for the Escape than any reasonable person would pay. That doesn't mean we should all play along.

Edited by rperez817

8 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Those reviews are accurate regarding each of the items you mentioned. Car and Driver summed it up best in its 2020 Escape SE review, which applies to a lesser extent to the 2023 refresh of that model as well.

Apparently you haven’t been in a RAV4 lately.  Not impressive and had just as much if not more hard plastic.  

You have routinely talked crap about the Escape, but I doubt you’ve actually ever been in one for any extended period of time.  We replaced our 2020 with a 2023 after the 2020 was totaled. My daughter could’ve picked any vehicle in the same price range and she chose another Escape.  The 2023 was a notable upgrade over the 2020 even though the drivetrain remained unchanged.  Don’t believe everything you read in magazines.  

• Like 5

7 hours ago, ANTAUS said:

Sadly, I feel the Escape has turned into another product that Ford has let wither on the vine.  Bronco Sport came to butchify the way, but the focus was turned away to a product that consumers have respected for about 20 years.  Its latest reviews are that it's overpriced, not competitive, lack-luster power train, plasticky interior for the price, just ordinary, and the competition is so much better...it didn't have to be this way....

The original plan to give Focus buyers an alternative and compete with the more rounded Hondas and Toyotas in contrast to Bronco Sport sounded good on paper but just never panned out.  Had they been able to meet demand for hybrids it would have been a lot better.

Given the reception to both Maverick and Bronco Sport I think they should replace Escape with a Maverick SUV which is more similar to the original escape.  And add hybrid powertrain to Bronco Sport.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, akirby said:

Given the reception to both Maverick and Bronco Sport I think they should replace Escape with a Maverick SUV which is more similar to the original escape.  And add hybrid powertrain to Bronco Sport.

The thing is that IMO the Escape is a step up (well interior wise) vs the Maverick and Bronco Sport. IMO the BS Interior is kind of chintzy like the Maverick (which gets a pass because of its apparent price point) but I don't recall people complaining about it. The other odd thing is that you can't get a 12inch screen like you can in the Escape in the Bronco Sport either-you'd think with its popularity it would have nicer options to drive the price/profit up on it.

My Family has had quite a few Escapes-Wife had a 2010, Parents got a 2013 Titanium and my wife currently has as 2017 and the Parents have a 2021 Escape. 

The C2 2013 Escape was a step back in Interior space-the passenger seating was infringed upon by the dash vs 2010 Mazda based Escape.  That was fixed with the 2020 redesign. 

The C2 Escape had issues with its price point vs profitability. I think the big issue was the Kuga was slotted higher in the EU then the Escape is. That is why your seeing people bitching about the Escape now when it comes to materials/options. Just as an example of this-my wife's SEL actually has more options to it then my parents 2013 Titanium did at a price that was like $4-5K less. Things like dual power/Full leather seating. That is why you saw the massive cost cutting measures that happened the last two years of production. 

I haven't heard my parents complain once about the I3 in the Escape...I don't ever remember it coming up in conversation. The only issue they've had is the carpet refuses to stay in place in the footwells for some reason. The interior looks nice, nothing spectacular.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, tbone said:

You have routinely talked crap about the Escape, but I doubt you’ve actually ever been in one for any extended period of time. 

Enterprise RAC gave me the rental 2023 Escape ST-Line with AWD and the 1.5L engine pictured below for 2 weeks when I was on a business trip in the Washington DC area this summer. That was plenty of time to confirm what Motor Trend said in its 2024 SUVOTY review.

Better in some key ways but still in need of further refinement

In particular, the new digital instrument cluster, infotainment system, and ST-Line specific interior trim are definitely improvements. Engine, transmission, and chassis refinement remain major weak spots. Overall, unless you specify the hybrid, plug-in hybrid, or 2.0L 4-cylinder powertrains, 2023 Ford Escape is simply not worth considering for a new vehicle purchase with so many better competitors available for similar or lower pricing.

image.thumb.png.67fe4bd4d5d477f8d470de94fd382d28.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

IMO the BS Interior is kind of chintzy like the Maverick (which gets a pass because of its apparent price point) but I don't recall people complaining about it.

Escape, Bronco Sport, and Maverick all embrace the traditional Ford approach of liberally using cheap interior materials. The reason why people don't complain about the Bronco Sport and Maverick interiors is because those 2 vehicles do a much better job with overall presentation and design, a direct result of Jim Hackett's design thinking taking root at Ford Motor Company. 

In Maverick's case, the "cheap but cheerful" philosophy won Ford a 10 Best Interiors & UX award from Wards Auto. Ford Maverick: Small Truck, Big Win (wardsauto.com)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

The thing is that IMO the Escape is a step up (well interior wise) vs the Maverick and Bronco Sport. IMO the BS Interior is kind of chintzy like the Maverick (which gets a pass because of its apparent price point) but I don't recall people complaining about it. The other odd thing is that you can't get a 12inch screen like you can in the Escape in the Bronco Sport either-you'd think with its popularity it would have nicer options to drive the price/profit up on it.

Not suggesting a Maverick SUV is a 1 for 1 replacement for Escape buyers.  But I think it would be cheaper to build and easier to sell and it fits the Ford truck/suv design language better.  

39 minutes ago, akirby said:

Not suggesting a Maverick SUV is a 1 for 1 replacement for Escape buyers.  But I think it would be cheaper to build and easier to sell and it fits the Ford truck/suv design language better.  

Isn't the possible Maverick SUV already called Bronco Sport?  Or are you thinking taking advantage of the longer wheelbase and making a 3-row version?

HRG

Edited by HotRunrGuy

31 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Isn't the possible Maverick SUV already called Bronco Sport?  Or are you thinking taking advantage of the longer wheelbase and making a 3-row version?

HRG

Not 3 rows just a longer wheelbase.  Bronco Sport is incredibly short.  And without all the off road/AWD stuff.  

I liked the look of the Blazer, but didn't care for the headlights.  It appears they've corrected that.

As someone who just traded a 2013 Escape for a 2020 Titanium, the Escape has a better interior than the BS.  I took a look at one, but the dealer was charging $1500 more for the BS with similar features to my Escape.  The Escape was just nicer inside.  Let's face it though, both are economy vehicles.  Not sure why some are hating on the Escape, it's a good vehicle.

I understand why Ford is building 2 vehicles on the same platform.  But if/when they do drop the Escape, I'll probably settle for BS as that will be the only ICE I can get.  Current electric vehicles don't fit my needs.  Hate to go to Toyota, but if that's my only other option, it's on the table.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Rather than believing the media, which we all know is 100% accurate, how about personal experiences. Since you are so vocal on the Escape, surely you do own one, or at least have taken one for an extensive test drive.

Personally, I couldn't care less what car & driver writes, as I am more than capable of determining what meets our needs.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Rangers09 said:

Rather than believing the media, which we all know is 100% accurate, how about personal experiences. Since you are so vocal on the Escape, surely you do own one, or at least have taken one for an extensive test drive.

Uh, scroll up a bit, he had one on a "2-week" test drive,,,,,,

HRG

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rperez817 said:

2024 Motor Trend SUVOTY winner was announced this morning, it's very well deserved. The Chevrolet Blazer EV Is the 2024 MotorTrend SUV of the Year

Yet again, proof that the media, who select these awards, are not in tune with the needs of the majority of purchasers. Regardless of what criteria the reviewers use, if it doesn't meet the needs of buyers they won't be moving off dealer lots in huge numbers. Since it is a BEV, it certainly doesn't meet our needs and probably not for the majority of buyers in this category. Even with some highly subjective award, I doubt it will outsell the Escape.

Thanks, but Chevy can stick the award in a cupboard, I'll stick with my vastly superior,  Escape PHEV. At least when the battery is dead, I don't need to call a tow truck or walk home.

14 minutes ago, Rangers09 said:

Regardless of what criteria the reviewers use, if it doesn't meet the needs of buyers they won't be moving off dealer lots in huge numbers.

Motor Trend addressed this in the 4th paragraph of the article, noting how GM and Chevrolet "democratized" BEV with the Bolt back in 2017 and again with Blazer EV this year.

Relevant context for the Blazer EV's victory comes from another all-electric Chevrolet, the Bolt EV, our 2017 Car of the Year. That another Chevy EV has now aced our criteria among evolved technical and market considerations indicates it fulfills the promise established by the Bolt: Electric driving can be democratized. In this sense, our SUVOTY judges saw enormous potential from the Blazer EV.

Edited by rperez817

Ford did this to themselves. They took a good plan and executed it terribly. Escape design missed the mark. It looks like it’s from the same era as my old 2013 fusion. Bronco sport has the right exterior design, but didn’t get all the tech goodies it should have. Just because someone wants to have some off-road ability doesn’t mean they want a bare bones vehicle. Both have subpar interiors and high prices. Limiting the top engine to only one trim on a sporty off-road vehicle also made zero sense.

The bronco sport needs the 12” screen from the ranger and the 12” IP from the escape. Big screens go a long way in making a cheap interior seem more luxurious. Power liftgate was also a feature that was omitted for some reason. 

Also, get rid of the light colored headliners that don’t match anything in the rest of the interior. I get it, it’s supposed to make the cabin feel larger. The bronco sport has almost unlimited headroom, it doesn’t need to feel larger. Just give me an interior that looks good.

14 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Refer to the summary of my 2023 Ford Escape rental car experience a few posts prior.

All that confirms is that your needs are in-tune and consistent with the reviewers.

Having owned 4 models of Escape since 2006, I have at least 8 yrs experience with the vehicle, which is a little more than your 2-weeks. Even with the 2023 model, we have owned it for 5 months. Based on our needs and expectations, I don't consider the reviews from the media source you quote, as relevant to us making a purchase decision. Since the Escape sells >10,000 units per month, I suspect many others have a similar opinion as I do.

Just out of interest, how many Chevvy Blazer EV's do they sell each month? If it is the best vehicle, surely it must sell the most.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Escape, Bronco Sport, and Maverick all embrace the traditional Ford approach of liberally using cheap interior materials. The reason why people don't complain about the Bronco Sport and Maverick interiors is because those 2 vehicles do a much better job with overall presentation and design, a direct result of Jim Hackett's design thinking taking root at Ford Motor Company. 

In Maverick's case, the "cheap but cheerful" philosophy won Ford a 10 Best Interiors & UX award from Wards Auto. Ford Maverick: Small Truck, Big Win (wardsauto.com)

"a direct result of Jim Hackett's design thinking taking root at Ford Motor Company."

Seriously?

You give this guy WAY too much credit.  First of all, the CEO has literally ZERO impact on interior design.  I've been in countless product design meetings in my life and CEO's just do not get into that level of detail.   

Secondly, Hackett was actually anti-Maverick and Bronco Sport from the beginning.  Those products were done with his reluctant support - he was not a fan of entry level segments.  (Slimmer margins - he wanted the R&D spent elsewhere but .)  Jim Baumbick was really the driving force behind the Maverick.  From what I'm told, Baumbick and Hackett were quite at odds with it.  Hackett wanted costs taken out of the program in order for it to proceed and Baumbick basically had to tell him he needed to be empowered to make decisions without management interference to get things done as quick as Hackett wanted.  This led to Hackett never being involved....no decision on that program went any further than Hau Thai-Tang.

Sorry for the Hackett rant but that guy was not qualified to run an automotive company and everyone I know at Ford was glad when he left.  (Including one of his direct reports who I am very close with.)

• Like 5

I have owned a 2011 Escape V6 and now a 2021 Hybrid and had several ICE 2020 plus Escapes as rentals. I am happy with them all. They provide nice package for the price. We did look at Equinox both times, but lack of factory tow package, at least on dealer lots,  and higher price kept us buying Escapes. I only pull a small trailer, but it keeps me from needing a pickup every day when I only need to haul something a few times a year the trailer solution is perfect. AWD is a must in Wisconsin winters for my wife. The interior of our 2021 Titanium is nice enough and to us does not feel cheap. The SE trims we had for rentals didn't seem so bad either. I guess I am missing out not test driving RAV4 or CRV? What other makes? What am I missing?  AWD, hybrid, and tow package are my main requirements. Admittedly I won't be in the market again for this size crossover until around 2027, by which time I will probably be looking at full electrics. 

I am sure the Blazer BEV is nice, but it will not really be cross shopped with even higher trim level Escapes because the huge price difference. This is my main problem with all BEVs right now. Even though I could afford them, I don't see the need to spend more than 35K on a daily commuter / grocery getter. There are plenty of good options at this price point.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Motor Trend addressed this in the 4th paragraph of the article, noting how GM and Chevrolet "democratized" BEV with the Bolt back in 2017 and again with Blazer EV this year.

Thank you for confirming my beliefs in the lack of relevance of these awards to the average vehicle purchaser. Basically the judges are acknowledging that their choice of winner will not be a best seller. Sorry, but this statement only confirms the disconnect between the judges and the majority of vehicle purchasers. Vehicle purchasers are looking for the best current vehicle, not one that has "potential"

6 hours ago, iamweasel said:

"a direct result of Jim Hackett's design thinking taking root at Ford Motor Company."

Seriously?

Yes, seriously. Jim Hackett is not only a good businessman but also a true subject matter expert with design thinking. IDEO wrote an excellent article in 2019 on Hackett's accomplishments incorporating design thinking into all aspects of Ford Motor Company, including product design. How Design is Driving Ford to Reimagine What a Car Company Can Be | IDEO

That unifying anchor point during this shift has been Jim Hackett, who took over as Ford’s CEO in 2017. Hackett came from Steelcase, a world-class furniture company that has been instrumental in applying design to shape the future of work. It was at Steelcase where Hackett first worked with IDEO, and through that collaboration cultivated an approach to business that put the customer at the center, evolving the company from simply a furniture manufacturer to a hub of leadership in the changing workplace landscape. When he came to Ford, he brought this human-centered approach with him.

Compared to C2 platform Escape, Bronco Sport and Maverick benefitted from a more mature design ecosystem and product development process at Ford Motor Company.