Electric Toyota MR2 Essentially Confirmed for Production

DeluxeStang

• ice-capades changed the title to Electric Toyota MR2 Essentially Confirmed for Production
On 10/28/2023 at 3:41 PM, DeluxeStang said:

https://www.thedrive.com/news/toyota-ft-se-planned-to-launch-2026-or-later-as-porsche-718-ev-rival

According to it's own designer. We'll see if things change or not. Between this, and the 718 coming out, I couldn't help but think something like an electric rs200 would be really cool if Ford wanted to make a competitor. 

They had to partner with BMW to build a viable case to bring back Supra using a lot of BMW parts.

But this thing has a business case on its own?

1 hour ago, rmc523 said:

They had to partner with BMW to build a viable case to bring back Supra using a lot of BMW parts.

But this thing has a business case on its own?

It has a lot of shared components with other Toyota products supposedly. The battery pack and other electrical components were shared with the EV compact crossover they revealed alongside it, so it's not a completely bespoke platform. That's coming directly from the designer. 

In less concrete news, a Japanese auto magazine with a pretty credible track record reported the gas version of this car would use a 1.0 3 cyl from, I believe it was Suzuki putting out 120 hp paired with a mild hybrid system. That same source also claimed it would take a lot of parts off the 14k yaris, like the front suspension. 

They claim Toyota's goal is to come to market with the most affordable mid engine car by far, drastically undercutting things like the 718 and c8. So they're trying to cut costs in the cars development wherever they can. 

Who knows, perhaps the gas powered 1.0 version is meant to serve as the replacement for the gr86, that would align with the prices that have been thrown out there, and the EV version would serve as Toyotas halo performance model while using the same chassis and body to keep costs down. 

https://www.thedrive.com/news/new-toyota-mr2-may-be-a-1-0-liter-mid-engine-hybrid-sports-car-report

There's the report on the gas powered version. I highly doubt a 20k starting price would happen, especially if they sold it here. But I could see it starting at around 30k. The mustang ecoboost starts at just over 30k. Ford can make a sports car with a bespoke stand alone platform, a 320 hp motor, and a decent interior start at 30k. I don't see why Toyota would struggle to make a business case for a sports car in a similar price bracket under the circumstances outlined in these articles.