Ford Reports Staggering Loss On Every Electric Vehicle It Sold

joseodiaga4

Ford Motor Company revealed this week that it lost more than a hundred thousand dollars for every electric vehicle that it sold during the first quarter.

Ford’s electric vehicle unit reported a $1.3 billion loss, amounting to a $132,000 loss per electric vehicle sold during the first three months of the year, CNN reported.

The company saw a 20% decrease in sales volume and, because of low demand for electric vehicles across the industry, was forced to slash the prices of its electric vehicle offerings.

Ford said that it expects its electric vehicle division to lose $5 billion this year, an increase of $300 million from the $4.7 billion loss that it suffered last year.

“Americans don’t want EVs at levels Biden’s climate hysteria require,” businessman Andrew Puzder posted on X. “Ford’s EV Q1 losses soared to $1.3 billion — a ridiculous $132,000 per EV sold. All Ford’s profits came from combustion engine vehicle sales. Collectivist policies destroy prosperity.”

The company announced earlier this month that it was delaying the production of two new electric vehicles and that it will instead focus on making more hybrid vehicles as consumer demand for electric vehicles continues to plummet.

“Many companies rushed in too fast with E.V.s that were too expensive and there was not as much of a market for them as they thought,” Sam Abuelsamid, principal analyst for transportation and mobility at the research firm Guidehouse Insights, told the The New York Times. “That’s made it a lot tougher to sell those vehicles.”

https://www.dailywire.com/news/ford-reports-staggering-loss-on-every-electric-vehicle-it-sold

Edited by joseodiaga4

Please stop posting these ridiculous loss per vehicle figures.  Ford lost $1.3B because of future investments and it wouldn’t have mattered how many Mach-Es and Lightnings they sold.  Designing and engineering 7-8 new vehicles plus new factory designs along with new batteries and manufacturing techniques are extremely expensive and generate zero revenue.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Please stop posting these ridiculous loss per vehicle figures.  Ford lost $1.3B because of future investments and it wouldn’t have mattered how many Mach-Es and Lightnings they sold.  Designing and engineering 7-8 new vehicles plus new factory designs along with new batteries and manufacturing techniques are extremely expensive and generate zero revenue.

I just posted it to talk about it, because I agree with you that it is a weird vision about all of this.

As you say the 1.3b considers not only the current offer of vehicles but all the investments made

• Like 1

2 hours ago, joseodiaga4 said:

I just posted it to talk about it, because I agree with you that it is a weird vision about all of this.

As you say the 1.3b considers not only the current offer of vehicles but all the investments made

I’m really just miffed at the blogs and news outlets that keep parroting those figures which people use to say EVs are terrible.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

What if Ford would just produce vehicles people want to buy for a price they're willing to pay? Case in point, the Lightning sold like hotcakes when it first debuted. Then the next model year was released with a $10k price increase and sales died. Right now, they're less than half of the projected annual volumes.

Consumers are very good at one thing...finding the lowest price. If you show them a gas F-150 or hybrid at one price and then show them an EV F-150 at a massively higher price, they will choose the cheaper one 9 times out of 10. The grille on the Lightning looks so cheap. It gives the vehicle a low-quality look. They should have painted in the same color as the body instead of leaving it a textured black plastic.

The entire legacy auto industry is scrambling to get in on the EV bandwagon because they don't want to miss out on "the future". Meanwhile, Tesla dominates the domestic EV market and has a market capitalization which is more than Ford, GM, and Stellantis combined...by a very large margin. It is absolutely insane. It's not reality. Tesla's real value isn't anywhere near a half a trillion dollars the market says it is. Investors are hyped about "the future" too.

The entire EV market is driven by unwise exuberance of investors that don't really know what they're doing. Everyone is betting on EVs being the next technology without any real understanding of the whole picture. Nobody wants to address the question about how much more efficient EVs are when looking at the entire infrastructure and entire life cycle of the product.

Edited by 92Notch5.0
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, 92Notch5.0 said:

The grille on the Lightning looks so cheap. It gives the vehicle a low-quality look. They should have painted in the same color as the body instead of leaving it a textured black plastic.

Might want to take a closer look next time, only the pro model has black plastic. The rest of the line up has texture and the Lariat and platinum are painted. Yeah its a dark color, but I have two Lightings where I work at and never felt like the grill was "cheap looking" on them. 

1 minute ago, silvrsvt said:

Might want to take a closer look next time, only the pro model has black plastic. The rest of the line up has texture and the Lariat and platinum are painted. Yeah its a dark color, but I have two Lightings where I work at and never felt like the grill was "cheap looking" on them. 

The lightnings I’ve seen look far more upscale than the ICE versions.