Head of Ford design leaves

1 hour ago, The Handler said:

I don't understand why they felt the need to hire an outsider instead of promoting somebody from within. Lo did not even have a very impressive résumé.

To be fair, the concept cars he worked on at Renault were stunning. If I'm being completely honest, Moray Callum didn't have a great resume either, having mostly worked on a few commuter car designs at Mazda before working his way up the ranks at Ford. 

Perhaps not directly related, but this is interesting timing given the allegedly lukewarm response to the designs of the mystery Oakville 3-row SUVs. Maybe he was pushing a design language that was not winning over potential buyers.

Ralph Gilles, Chief Design Officer at Stellantis, is an occasional guest on "Autoline After Hours."   He was interviewed a few years back.  He said he rarely draws anything, leaving that to others.  His job is to set a design-language and to manage all of the stylists Stellantis has scattered around the globe.  Basically, his job is to manage, not draw cars.  I imagine it's the same at Ford (or any other manufacturer).