Went to the car show last weekend and saw the Zephyr

sa_seahawker

There it was....a new look for Lincoln, clean looking lines, awesome looking front end, light wood accents inside.....I open the door to get a feel......and then it happens!!!!

THE SAME CHEAP MATERIAL FORD IS KNOWN FOR PUTTING IN THEIR VEHICLES!!!!

I was totally let down! The door panels shook and window rattled as I gently shut the door. Even when the door shut it sounded as if I was shutting a 1989 Ford Thunderbird instead of tomorrow's luxury small car!

Honestly, I had such high hopes. I, like many, have been desparately waiting for Ford to catch up with the Germans and Japanese in terms of quality. Thankfully, GMs insistance on using excessive amounts of plastic in the wrong areas keep Ford slightly ahead in some areas. But, Lincoln will not be delivering a severe blow to Cadillac anytime soon. Let's just hope kids that come to look at the Fusion, after leaving a Chevy dealership, buy one on impulse before they find a japanese dealership.

Btw, Pontiac, Cadillac, and GMC appear to be the only GM division worth anything.

That's just my opinion...I could be wrong.

Edited by sa_seahawker

Btw, Pontiac, Cadillac, and GMC appear to be the only GM division worth anything.

That's just my opinion...I could be wrong.

Pontiac sales are still in the dump. They didn't even increase during GM's Employee Pricing, despite their non-reliance on SUV's. Cadillac and GMC really aren't huge moneymakers either.

Anyhow...this is off topic. :lol:

I saw the Zephyr at the Miami International Auto Show and I came away with a completely different opinion. I thought that the Zephyr was stunning.

I sat in the driver and passenger seats, shut the doors and it sounded just as solid as anything from Japan. The interior was bright, clean and had the right balance and style and symmetry.

I also saw the CTS by Cadillac and came away disappointed. The dashboard that protruded too far into the front passenger space cramped the interior and the center stack position deprives the driving enjoyment and inputs from the front passenger. All in all, the Caddy, CTS just did not have the rich feel at all.

In fact, I like the Zephyr so much that I am seriously considering purchasing one by the end of the year.

The Zephyr seems to be a hot car here in South Jersey - I've seen several in the past week, in silver, black and navy. It's a fine looking car, and it'll be interesting to see how it fares against the Lucerne CXS, which is fairly close price wise. I sat in one at a dealership and was very impressed by the interior although I had a similar impression as seahawker when I opened the door - the door handle has a flimsy feel and the the door doesn't have the solid "thunk" of my Chysler 300C. But the interiors on both the Zephyr and Lucerne blow away the 300 - I would have cross-shopped both with great interest had either been available this past spring.

I saw the Zephyr for the first time in person last week at the Central Florida International Auto Show. Out of the three siblings, I am actually the biggest fan of the Milan, but I was a little disappointed by the interior of that car.

The Zephyr, however, blew me away (no pun intended). The interior is very distinct from the rest of the CD3 cars, and I really like that the designers went out on a limb and used some unique shapes, materials, and colors. If this is the future look of Lincoln interiors, I feel really good about it. The exterior still doesn't speak to me like the Milan's does, but it's a close second.

I haven't seen any Zephyrs or Milans in Orlando, and only a handful of Fusions. I hope they are selling well.

• 2 months later...

What door technology does Ford have that they could integrate into the Zephyr?

In other words, what Ford cars have doors that, if used, would be an improvement for the Zephyr?

(I want to say the Ford Five Hundred sounds solid in the door -- but I haven't tried out a Zephyr or Fusion.)

• 3 weeks later...
the door panels on the current zeph just suck. If they updated them with this refresh then it will really complete a great interior

i saw a Fusion SE in the light tan color interior color last week and my first thought was that the door panels looked cheap in it. But it could have been the color.