You Had to Try Hard to Lose Me as a Customer, But You Succeeded

johnnyb82

All I can say is, when will some of you learn that when one runs into any problem (be it with cars, electronics, or anything where goods or service is contracted for – a warranty is a contract by the way), it is a total waste of time to try and resolve it on the telephone.

First of all, should the situation need to go any further, how are you going to even prove that the conversation ever existed?

It is a very simple formula. With an automotive/dealer situation, if you do not get satisfaction with your service writer, then ask to see the (2) supervisor. If you do not receive satisfaction, go to his/her boss, the (3) General Manager and right up the chain of command. Please note that this MUST be done in a business-like manner (is this not a business situation?). Each dealer gets a CSI ranking (Blue Oval program) and if your dealer isn’t ranked very high -- go to another one.

If you do not get anywhere, then (4) get a second, third, or even a fourth opinion – IN WRITING. That may include going to a different dealer for the same manufacturer. If none are available, make sure they are professional shops.

Assemble the papers, make copies, attach a business-like letter explaining your position (keeping to the facts) but making note of each of the people’s name with which you tried to resolve the issue, and send it off to the regional or home office. Nowadays, we have the internet and one can locate the appropriate address to send the communication. Send it Return Receipt Requested registered or certified mail (will cost you a few dollars).

You don’t need to be a legal secretary (and you do not need to hire a lawyer) to accomplish this, and the most time consuming part of it is the “talking†with people. Make sure you ONLY get written estimates/diagnosis from the other opinions.

IF you are too lazy to go about this in an orderly manner, then negotiate with a local exhaust shop and just get it done – or do it yourself. I did a quick search and several online stores have the cat system for that year car (based on vehicle info provided) for around $400. http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/apw_cc/c...amp;modelid=631 I find it odd that any shop would be charging $1000 for installation – the one shown on link is a direct fit – only basic tools needed. As a matter of fact, you haven't even stated what was wrong with the cat. Again, always get a minimum of 2 written estimates!!!

The rule I have gone by for quite a long time (even with my employees) is -- if you think it (be it an idea, or a claim, or whatever) is worthwhile – put it in writing. IF you cannot put forth the effort to put it down on paper – then you have determined that it is not worth considering.

By the way, you then have proof that you communicated your “claim†to the proper people and, if you still didn’t get satisfaction, you can prove that they failed to act in a reasonable manner should you decide to pursue legal means. Try proving you did that on the telephone. OR, then again, you can pay someone (like an attorney) to do it for you.

It has now been several weeks since johnnyb82 posted his vent. I wonder if he has taken the time to even do step number (2), step (3) or step (4) above.

touchdown, what possesses you to continually come back to this Ford forum if you will never buy a Ford again? If true, why do you spend the time? Are you just holding a grudge? When I see this kind of thing, it makes me curious as to whether you ever took the time to correct any things that you perceive that you were 'done-wrong' by Ford. You certainly seemingly have the time now, don't you?

As I have stated before, I have owned around a dozen and a half new Fords over the years. They have been the most dependable cars, vans, trucks that I have experienced (and I have owned just about ever marque there is). It makes me suspicious when people say they can't get 75k miles out of one. Most of mine did over 175k with very few problems. Makes me think there is more to it than is being communicated.

I used to have a girl-friend that got her oil changes only every 10-15,000 (not synthetic either) whether it needed it or not, and she was a habitual late braker and she wore down the pads (in less than 20k miles) until they cut grooves into the rotors. And yet to hear her, that Lexus was a piece of crap. Gee, I wonder why her car blew smoke out of the tailpipe (before she traded it in). Any ideas?

Go figure.

touchdown, what possesses you to continually come back to this Ford forum if you will never buy a Ford again? If true, why do you spend the time? Are you just holding a grudge? When I see this kind of thing, it makes me curious as to whether you ever took the time to correct any things that you perceive that you were 'done-wrong' by Ford. You certainly seemingly have the time now, don't you?

I used to have a girl-friend that got her oil changes only every 10-15,000 (not synthetic either) whether it needed it or not, and she was a habitual late braker and she wore down the pads (in less than 20k miles) until they cut grooves into the rotors. And yet to hear her, that Lexus was a piece of crap. Gee, I wonder why her car blew smoke out of the tailpipe (before she traded it in). Any ideas?

Go figure.

1. touchdown, what possesses you to continually come back to this Ford forum if you will never buy a Ford again?

Why not? A forum is open to all. The forum is for letters to Ford Management and I wanted to say something to Ford management - and anyone else that wants to listen.

2.If true, why do you spend the time? Are you just holding a grudge?

First, I do not spend much time on this forum or any others (except Buckeye football, of course)

Do I hold a grudge? Probably - a little griping on a forum costs nada and saves me a mint in psychoanalysis. Paranoids can have enemies - people with grudges can have legitimate complaints.

3. I wonder why her car blew smoke out of the tailpipe (before she traded it in).

The car I gripe about was driven by a little old lady and impeccably maintained by a dealer (oil change every 3000 miles). Documentation to prove it up ting yang

4. When I see this kind of thing, it makes me curious as to whether you ever took the time to correct any things that you perceive that you were 'done-wrong' by Ford.

Yep.

Short version is -

In additon to the calls to Customer Service (if you can call it that) - I have at least a dozen emails to Ford customer service - got a form email response that did not address issue but tolf me how much Bill Ford cared.

Sent at least 3 letters to Ford management (district and corporate) - full of attached documents - got form letters in reply that did not even discuss the complaint but only said that my dispute had been settled by the customer service rep (who did not know what a head gasket was)

Did the small claims court thing (including a arbitration session in which Ford sent a district manager who said up front he had no authority to settle - lost case because I am not a lawyer (did not play one on tv and did not sleep at Holiday Inn express either) and made some mistakes that caused some of my key evidence to not be accepted by magistrate - I think I had a good case - documentation ran to 200 pages - win some lose some

The dealer we bought from was out of business so it was hard to follow up with them

Is that enough documentation and effort to satisfy you?

5. You certainly seemingly have the time now, don't you?

Sometimes I have free time - is that a problem? But thanks for caring!

You seem to also have free time to post - congratulations!

By the way - I agree with your points about documentation and going to successive higher levels of management - it is a good strategy and often works.

I did not find it useful (or possible) with Ford

If Ford had written back with non-form letters or let me (believe me I tried) even talk to a level of management higher than the customer service rep (did I mention she did not know what a head gasket was and certainly was not an expert on warranties). I probably would not have a "grudge" and would not have the pleasure of exchanging posts with you (all in good humor on my end and I hope yours too).

Who knows - I might have spent all the time I wasted on the small claim process and lurking in this form on finding the cure for cancer. Or maybe (and more likely) drinking beer on the patio - so the way I look at it my "grudge" is saving me money and wear and tear on the liver so maybe it is a healthy thing? who knows?

Touchdowm

Beat Michigan!

I was just talking to a guy with a newer Ford Explorer. Don't know the exact year but it had the aluminum 4.6l and IRS. Thr chrome is flaking off the wheels in big chunks. The Ford dealer says it is his fault for driving it in the winter when there is ice, snow and salt on the roads. This is a 4 wheel drive vehicle!! He likes the vehicle, but is furious at Ford. His other vehicle is an Infinity. He loves the Nissan dealer. Wonder what his next truck will be.

• 2 weeks later...

This doesn't sound right at all. The catalyst system is covered for 8 years/80,000 Miles on all vehicles by Federal law. The dealer is correct that States have the choice of taking CA or 49 State emissions. I have never heard of a dealer claiming that CA emission voids that part of the federal warranty. CA requirements are above the federal level.

Ford doesn't require you to get your vehicle serviced at the buying dealership. I recommend that you visit another local Ford/Mercury dealer to get the repair covered under warranty. Ford reimburses the dealership for the repair, so I am not sure why the dealer wouldn't cover it. You said that your vehicle is a 1999, so I don't know when your warranty start date or VIN are, and if you went outside the 8 years. You may have went outside the 8 years while arguing with a dealer. I hope you a receipt to document the mileage data/time when you tried to get it warranty serviced, or right around that time. If another Ford dealer gives you the same rejection, I would try to appeal the decision through a FCSD zone manager. I would try to start off pleasant with new dealer and zone manager, but it may be hard given the first experience. Sometimes they can approve if you are close to mileage/time too.

Sorry for your trouble, and I hope that you are able to resolve this issue. Please repost and let us know if another dealer or zone manager was able to resolve your issue.

Lastly, I know it won't help get you through this but our quality is actually making huge advances. Consumer Reports gave Ford 22 Recomended vehicles this year. This was 2nd, only to Toyota. Also, the Fusion/Milian/MKZ have quality and TGW ratings above Toyota/Honda. Next year, the Freestyle/500 are getting the new 265 HP 3.5L Engine/new 6F trans too, which are great in the Edge & Lincoln MKZ.

Best wishes,

Spring

I'm not sure why there are so many negative posts here either.

Ya gotta love the internet. Someone tells one side of a story and everyone else comments without having all of the facts of the particular situation.

Reading the original complaint (and disregarding all of the emotional baggage) this story is obviously missing some facts. let's see...

Customer walks into dealer with a bad cat and wants it replaced under the federal 8yr-80k warranty. Ok no problem, dealers do that kind of thing all the time and the manufacturer pays for the part and labor under the federal warranty law for cats. But no! Evil FORD dealer denied coverage. Why? Why would a dealer service department turn down easy money like that? A failed cat is one of the easiest to diagnose and replace jobs they do and the terms of the federal emission warranty are black and white clearly defined. Why wouldn't the dealer replace the part, file the claim, GET PAID by Ford and roll on instead of wasting a lot of time going to war with the customer over this issue.

Answer: Key information is being withheld from this story.

I have seen customers like that roll into the service lane, you know the type. Did not buy the car there, bought it at some buy here-pay here used junk lot. Has never been to the dealer for any kind of maintenance at all, no history. Is just there to get his free-warranty work done and demands to be treated like a true long time customer that buys and maintains their cars there. And most importantly when told the part cannot be replaced because they drove over a curb and crushed/damaged it or the neglected engine is misfiring or burning oil and damaged the cat they explode.

So, after he goes to the dealership's General Manager, who gives away everything from the service department because he doesn't want to be bothered, and gets a "no" then he goes to the manufacturer's district service manager who, for probably obvious reasons that were not revieled in the one-sided story also said "no" we are left with another internet victim.

Feel free to change/add more information now...

edit: here is a link to the federal emission warranty:http://www.epa.gov/otaq/consumer/warr95fs.txt

Edited by F250

ive had products that were made in japan.eg.2.6 mitzi motor that were nightmares whether it be cracked heads dead piston or timing guide malfunctions before 60 thousand miles.do i like it no.do i get over it yes...........shit the cat converter is not a ford in house product probably built in japan.............would not suprize me.......so quit bitchin at ford.........crap buy a f-in toy-oda if you get a sludge engine prob its your fault because americans cant change oil properly.talking about arrogance.but there the media darlings they shit and its always gold.............

I was a Ford Service Writer for 2 years, 2000-2001.

Customer service is a call center full of completely car and truck ignorant people who are simply there to make you think something might happen..we couldn't get anything from them and we knew the system.....

When we had a clearly undeniable warranty problem we could fix it and submit for payment. Ford routinely cuts warranty reimbursement times to save $$. This pisses off the techs, who realyy don't like to work for free, so they avoid warranty work as much as possible. Ford also rejects up to 30% of submitted claims for whimsical or very minor issues causing extra work and re-submittal that resulted in payment most of the time.

When we got a questionable claim we were required to seek approval from the District Service Manager or his assistant PRIOR TO performing the work.

The decision was based more on their expenditure to date of warranty $$ than customer satisfaction or fairness.

I was a Service manager for VW, Porsche, Audi for 5 years and they not only pay the dealer the retail hourly rate for warranty work, but provide a car and an apology for the inconvenience....

My daughter's Acura RSX Type S went 50,000 miles without a single problem and she got a loaner when she dropped it off for her maintenance and oil changes - FREE

She bought our 2002 GT Vert in Feb 06, which is maintained by me and LaMotta Performance, I find that an easy way to keep it perfect.

My point is Ford vehicles are pretty good and reliable, however everything needs a problem fixed now & then, if you treat your customer poorly in the Service Dep't, kiss them goodbye permanently.

Once I leave Florida, I will be going back to owning Audi's and my Porsche in Boston, my old dealership still has some of my techs, (5) 30 years later, they service the 2 VW's my Mom has and do it flawlessly.

My chevy service up there is flawless and free.....that's my reward for paying for my cousin's husband's engineering college 20 years ago.....he owns the dealership.........and takes cars of my LTZ Suburban

We will always have a Mustang and probably a truck, but who knows how the dealers are up there for service...I will use Rodman Ford in Foxborough, right across from my Patriot's stadium.....

My Ford dealer here may have to make house calls..............1300 miles away.

I still believe Honda is the best overall car company on the planet, and if brand loyalty doesn't cloud your vision you can probably see the merit to that arguement.

Product, engineering and customer Service come together there better than any place except high-line dealers. No they aren't perfect either, but they admit it and try to please their customers.....

The Ford Exec at the car show agreed with that assessment and wants Ford to be there as well.....let's hope they get there....it would be nice.

You hit it on the head and then some. My Ford had to go back to the dealer three times BUT I had to take it back after the problems weren't resolved correctly four times for a total of seven times. One of the problems I just gave up and fixed it myself even though the truck was still under warranty.

For the one problem where the battery basically spit at the top and leaked all over the battery tray and inner fender, the service writer started to tell me it was MY fault. That took 'em three times to fix that problem.

Goes right back to my broken record statement. Your product, Ford, is competitive. I ain't saying each model is the best in their category, but they don't need to be. They just need to have a competitive product and back it up with competitive dealerships, both sales and service.

Seems most of us on this board are happy with our Ford product for the most part HOWEVER it's not us that Ford needs to worry about. It's the "cold day in hell before I EVER buy another Ford" that Ford needs to get back in the showroom. My father in law will only buy a domestic branded vehicle, but it won't be a Ford. My father used to drive Ford and now is a dedicated Honda guy. If Ford would have made it right with him when is Windstar gave up he probably would have a Freestar van right now.

Come on Ford, fix the dealers and the service. Get that right and you whipped over half the reasons why you're losing market share.

Edited by bec5150

I had the "sliding contacts" replaced in my steering column last week. They had gone out, causing my cruise control and steering wheel radio controls to stop working properly, and finally my airbag warning light to come on. So, I left the car there for a day, which turned into two when they didn't have the parts in stock. Picked it up. Airbag warning light is off, cruise control and steering wheel radio controls are back to normal - but my turn signals no longer self-cancel. Another early morning stop at the service department. Another day with a rental car. Another early evening to get there before they close. :doh:

I had the "sliding contacts" replaced in my steering column last week. They had gone out, causing my cruise control and steering wheel radio controls to stop working properly, and finally my airbag warning light to come on. So, I left the car there for a day, which turned into two when they didn't have the parts in stock. Picked it up. Airbag warning light is off, cruise control and steering wheel radio controls are back to normal - but my turn signals no longer self-cancel. Another early morning stop at the service department. Another day with a rental car. Another early evening to get there before they close. :doh:

Same flippin thing that I went through with my car. BUT get this...what will they give you for your inconvenience? A free oil change? Perhaps a Ford ball cap? Will they even wash the friggin car before you get it back?

Nope, they'll give it back to you and act like it's your fault you didn't get it fixed right the first time. Sux!!!

Sorry to hear of your problems, but if you think that warranty issues (real or imagined) are going to go away by changing manufacturers, you are wrong. I will make one suggestion though.

If you go through and read the complains of most here about warranty issues, you will find one common thread. . . everyone wants to call someone and verbally complain thinking that they are going to get satisfaction. First of all, I know you are young (in your twenties) but realize that for most businesses (I speak here of long time experience), with a very high percentage of verbal complainers on issues that are borderline, many companies find that a very high percentage of them are scams by the customer. For example, many large chain retail stores have stopped allowing "returns" without an original receipt and only to the original store - why? Because of the high millions of dollars scams of people returning stolen merchandise or stuff that wasn't even bought from that chain every year. A very common one is women buying dresses to wear to a party and then retuning them afterwards. Thankfully they have laws about returning underwear.

Excessive useage (like drag racing a car and then trying to get the manufacturer to replace the engine/tranny/etc to replace the part under warranty), abnormal useage (routinely running over curbs damaging suspension parts) and all sorts of attempts by people to get someone else to pay for damage, storing a car without performing storage routines (have you ever seen the Stabil commercial with the guy in the bass boat that didn't bother to do proper storage routines for his boat? and if I remember right his RV - and now its going to cost him). People are stupid and companies have learned that and they should not pay for people's stupidity. Now I am not saying that you are one of those.

However, if you do have a legitimate issue, the best way to do it is in a written format with proper documentation. I relate a perfect example earlier in post #97 http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index...=6832&st=77. Keep in mind that vehicle was clearly out of the warranty period. Now why is it that I got satisfaction and you didn't?

What does a cat converter cost for a 7 year old Taurus? $350-400? I helped my son replace one on a Nissan that he used to have that cost more than that and it took less than an hour to replace - out in the driveway. This idea that many have that the manufacturer covers all costs forever is ridiculous. Did you get 3 written estimates from bona fide exhaust companies? What caused the cat to fail? That is a pretty low mileage for a 7 yr old car. Do you realize some things (esp exhaust parts) will rust right off the car if they just sit. There has always been a rule to be careful when buying a used car with very low mileage as many parts - for instance seals (compressor/pumps/etc) will fail oftentimes once the car starts to used daily bec they just dried up for lack of use? I have seen stored cars that had much lower mileage on them - and the entire exhaust system was rusted out and it hadn't even been driven in years.

There are so many details that you haven't included to convince even me that this is a warranty issue and that sometimes with vehicles you just go ahead and pay, or fix it, yourself. My ex-wife had a conniption (fit) when a 8 year old clothes dryer heating element failed. It took me 15 minutes to replace it. But to hear her tell it -- the dryer was a piece of junk.

As my brother would say, good luck with Honda/Acura. Oh, and thelemon? I have a neighbor who got his Honda returned under the Florida lemon law for a very similar issue. Fortunately, he (my neighbor) is all grown up and moved on from the situation - unlike some.

This has to be one of the best well thought out and well written calm positive noncondensending responses I have ever read on this site. Nice reply. :beerchug:

Come on Ford, fix the dealers and the service. Get that right and you whipped over half the reasons why you're losing market share.
They cant afford it. It cost me $5000 to fix all the problems with my 04 explorer. Estimates put the numbers of bad trannies and rear diffs in about 1 in 10 of all 02 to 04 Explorers, at $5k a pop that would hit Ford really hard......so they aint gonna touch it.

They cant afford it. It cost me $5000 to fix all the problems with my 04 explorer. Estimates put the numbers of bad trannies and rear diffs in about 1 in 10 of all 02 to 04 Explorers, at $5k a pop that would hit Ford really hard......so they aint gonna touch it.

:eek5: And you're still happy to be in the "Ford family"....

How can you forgive a company who took away from you 5000$..... ????

After digesting the contents of this thread I have one question: Is the catalyst repair due to failure to pass emission test or for a leak? Irregardless, it should be covered by the 8/80,000 mile emission warranty (I am a Ford service Advisor/Shop Foreman/Manager with 23 years experience, now working with a GM luxury brand dealer-you want to see a warranty nightmare-look at GM!). While the vehicle may have been built with a California spec emission system, the warranty is only enforcable in California!

In reference to the failure, I have seen several Taurus/Sable vehicles which have leaking catalysts due to impact damage, but also seen them with broken welds due to a fault with said weld-there is a TSB procedure with a fix for this without replacing the catalyst. If it has failed due to an inefficiency code-then replacement is required.

That is exactly the problem. Easily 750 words and not one of them details specifically a diagnosis of the alleged failed/defective part (the cat) - especially by an authorized or professional in the business. Lots of fluff - and no specifics.

Over the years I have been in a administrative position of at times, a large corporation - now a smaller corporation, and if I were to receive such a "letter" of complaint, I would respond with a one paragraph letter stating that he should resubmit with a one paragraph cover letter specifying the details - accompanied with documentation (diagnosis/data).

Just the facts, sir.

But then I suppose we should understand JohnnyB's own words:

"I didn't intend for this to be much of a discussion."

"The first post was to vent. . ."

I certainly hope that he assembled some facts before sitting down with an attorney(or a rep of a state agency):

". . . I am working on getting this done through legal channels, but it takes awhile."

In my experiences in legal proceedings, a judge, or mediator, most likely will not listen to that many words without some facts throw in there somewhere.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been wandering around this site, and finnally read this thread.

I can understand, and here's my reason:

2005 Escape. For what ever the reason, the radio keeps going bad. Dealer replaced three times. Four time they agreed to look deeper with regional engineer. Their road test was letting the Escape sit in the lot, running for 2 hours. This was a problem that happened as the Escape was driven, but service manager decided road test for a problem that only occured while driving didn't need a road test to see problem.

Complained to Gm of dealership, got told to speak to service manager again.

I bill out at $250 an hour. Yes, I can afford other brands, and the other half has a 2003 Benz.

Gave up on getting problem with 2005 Escape fixed. Debated trading in for an 2007, but gave up on that idea after the following happened to me last week.

What happened last week?

The Benz made a strange noise. Really weird noise, enough for me to drive it to Newport Beach, 20 miles away, to dealership where it was purchased. I take it in, explain the noise. They ask me several questions on tha car, look it up in the computer, and after taking my credit card just for a deposit, send me off in a new 2007 Benz loaner car. They find the problem next day, order that part and install.

It took a day because the car is out of warranty by 10,000 miles. But they took care of it because the other half only buys Benz, and this is the fourth Benz purchased in that dealership since 1996.

I was blown away, and could not believe it. The service writer explained that take care of customers, especially returning customers. They would not let a $200 part ruin that relationship, called Benz regional, and got approval for the part to be replaced by Benz, even though the warranty was over.

And I'm not talking a high end Benz, it's a C class, although in the past one was an ML. This after warranty repair was over cost me $0 and $0 for the loaner car too.

That is customer service - making sure you get them to come back and spend more, time and time again.

I love my Escape, and all the Rangers, and F-150, and one T-Bird, but I have got to tell you, sitting in LA Area in traffic, with a radio that changes it's bass settings at random and at will, has destroyed any bond with Ford.

And yes, I know I can go buy a 3rd party radio. But would you? I spent $550 two years ago for the 6CD changer radio when I purchased the car. Why buy something that I already paid for once?

Even the service people - engineers, writer, service manger, etc. - told me to just eat it and replace it with an aftermarket because Ford makes crap radios. One even suggested it might be signs of larger electrical problems down the road.

Nope. Ford lost another loyal customer this year.

Sad, I only have bought Ford, but do not see another in my future over a crappy radio, and a crappy dealership.

And yes, I showed the GM the emails, and he has all the service records to see the problem firsthand.

My time is worth just as much as his, and someone there should have stepped up and taken ownership of my issue after the complaints to the GM about the Service Manager NOT doing what he agreed to do - road test it.

Edited by LB Escape

• 3 weeks later...

In retrospect I think it was a mistake to say anything on this forum...

But anyway, I think I would be remiss if I didn't say how things worked out.

After having little success with Ford itself (repeating the mantra that California, New York, etc. cars had a weaker warranty for the cat than the federal warranty - yet only for cars with the model years 1999-2001) I was able to get in touch with someone from the EPA who dealt with enforcement of these warranties. He was pretty incredulous that Ford was not living up to the 8/80K warranty because the California warranty is just EXTRA protection.

We put in a complaint around Thanksgiving with the EPA guy. Didn't hear much of anything until this month when someone from Ford called me up to say that the problem WAS covered by the EPA warranty. It would have been nice if there was an apology in that phone call for the time and effort wasted getting this issue address, but...

My car now appears to be fixed.

So where does this leave me with Ford? I don't know. After getting over my initial anger, I found myself rooting for Ford's success again. At the same time, it is hard for me to be too excited about buying a Ford, because the reason they complied was because I went to the EPA to complain.

With what I brought and said to various people at Ford, it seemed pretty clear that I was in the right as far as this law goes (the smoking gun being what the 2002 and up warranty booklets say in regards to the two warranties). But Ford does not equip a whole lot of people with much discretion to consider these issues. They have their warranty sheets and they don't have the power to question it. When you ask for someone higher-up to talk to they say there is no one else or tell you to contact "management" but won't say how to do so.

In the end, I guess I blame the system of dealing with customer complaints more than anything. I hope that when Ford thinks about ways to improve customer satisfaction that they think about trying to lessen the hurdles or at least provide a better way to escalate problems such as this.

Edited by johnnyb82