The Car and Driver review of the Edge

Guest Sixcav

I didn't read every posting under this heading. But, Motor Trend tears Ford a new butt slot with it's review of the Edge. They say if Ford keeps this up, it will surely go bye-bye.

Again, that is MT testing a car that was one of their 1st pre-production cars. From the C&D review, they must have gotten a newer car, since their review is much more positive. Like the fella above posted, wait till they come out, get real reviews from owners and publications that test ACUTAL production models, and then condem the vehicle, if the owners hate them.

Edited by 05fordgt

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't read every posting under this heading. But, Motor Trend tears Ford a new butt slot with it's review of the Edge. They say if Ford keeps this up, it will surely go bye-bye.

They did not say that at all. I read the review. They said "the Edge doesn't have what it takes to help solve Ford's problems." There was no reference to Ford going bye-bye. I read the review and it was a fair review of the vehicle. The only bias around here is you Ford cheer leaders.

By the way, while we are so busy getting upset because Motor Trend didn't give the Edge a glowing review lets cover some of the other things they said.

They called the Acura RDX "an entertaining but flawed attempt to make the segment big here."

They said the Chrysler Aspen is "not much of an everyday driver."

They said the Honda CR-V "lacks in the oomph department."

They called the Mitsubishi Outlander "Better the second time around --- but far from the best."

So just quit all the crying about how they reported on the Edge. There were likes and dislikes about every vehicle on the list. It was a fair review.

They did not say that at all. I read the review. They said "the Edge doesn't have what it takes to help solve Ford's problems." There was no reference to Ford going bye-bye. I read the review and it was a fair review of the vehicle. The only bias around here is you Ford cheer leaders.

You obviously have me mistaken for someone who gives a shit. MT (the stupid rag that it is) said the Edge will cause Ford to further decline, that's what they meant. I didn't quote stupidity word for word. BTW, I'm the person who doesn't care about what brand of anything I buy or you buy. Your taking it very personally. Why bother? If the Edge is good, time will tell. Magazine experts aren't experts at all, just apyed opinon writers mostly. You read it your way and I'll read it mine. :reading:

Got a chance to see a pre-production Edge--$36k version with all the toys.

More than anything, I think it speaks to the legacy cost issue and the strength of the Ford brand name. At $30-32K, a loaded Edge is a winner--for $36K, it's the Pacifica's better looking brother.

$36K isn't Ford territory in the minds of many buyers, just like it isn't Chrysler or GM--it's Infiniti, Lexus and Acura.

Neat vehicle, though.

:rant:

Ford DOESN'T include all those high priced tech gadgets (DVD entertainment systems, sat. nav., etc.) and people complain.

Ford DOES include all those high priced tech gadgets and people complain.

You guys think, perhaps, Ford should be giving that stuff away?

The Edge STARTS well below the Murano, including AWD versions. EACH OPTION COSTS MONEY. You want the Vistaroof? You pay for the Vistaroof. You want rear seat DVD? You pay for rear seat DVD. You want leather? You pay for leather. It's not like the Edge STARTS at $36k. Option out a Murano to the 9s and you'll get past $36k in a hurry too.

Edited by RichardJensen

:rant:

Ford DOESN'T include all those high priced tech gadgets (DVD entertainment systems, sat. nav., etc.) and people complain.

Ford DOES include all those high priced tech gadgets and people complain.

You guys think, perhaps, Ford should be giving that stuff away?

Typical American Consumer....if Detroit builds it, they should give it away to me for free/cheap as possible. Not entirely all the consumers fault though, with all the incentives and what not lobbed their way over the years.

I understand your feelings, I'm only pointing out what I see as realities in the marketplace.

FWIW, I've been driving a $38K Murano. Why? B/C we can't sell a $38K Nissan, not because it's not a great vehicle. There just aren't a lot of people who want to spend that kind of money on something by Nissan rather than Infiniti or some other 'premium' brand.

My point is the same with the Edge and the domestic industry in general--the Big 3 have a hard time competing in the near luxury segment with what are perceived to be mass-market brands.

Except for the 300, Chrysler can't do it (see the Pac/minis); GM has a host of brands that can't seem to make it. What makes anyone think Ford can do it?

If you try to read the tea leaves, you see that Mulally seems to get it. If he really can take another $3K of costs out of the product structure in the next round of contract talks, he opens up a world of opportunity for Ford by moving down the pricing structure--back to where people seem to think the Ford brand should belong. Combine that with attractive vehicles like the Edge, and you can see how a turnaround might work.

BTW, the guy who brought the Edge for us to see? His job is being eliminated.

I understand your feelings, I'm only pointing out what I see as realities in the marketplace.

FWIW, I've been driving a $38K Murano. Why? B/C we can't sell a $38K Nissan, not because it's not a great vehicle. There just aren't a lot of people who want to spend that kind of money on something by Nissan rather than Infiniti or some other 'premium' brand.

My point is the same with the Edge and the domestic industry in general--the Big 3 have a hard time competing in the near luxury segment with what are perceived to be mass-market brands.

But also, depending on how the car is optioned out by the dealer, a fairly nice AWD Edge can be had for around 30-32K, which is more then reasonable for that type of vehicle. No one is saying that Ford is going to sell all 100K Edge's at 36K, a more realistic expectation is 30K

But also, depending on how the car is optioned out by the dealer, a fairly nice AWD Edge can be had for around 30-32K, which is more then reasonable for that type of vehicle. No one is saying that Ford is going to sell all 100K Edge's at 36K, a more realistic expectation is 30K

Exactly. Why is everyone acting like an Edge costs $36K? That's the ABSOLUTE highest price you can pay for one, which certainly some people out there will pay, just as Ford sold some $40K Explorer Limiteds over the years as well. But, just like the bulk of Explorer sales have always been the middle-range XLT, so will the bulk of Edge sales fall somewhere in the middle. It's basically a bell curve when it comes to autos - some will buy the cheapest stripper model available, some will buy the loaded-to-the-nines most expensive model, but most will hover right around the middle of the pricing range getting some options they want/need and leaving out many of them. Stop thinkg of the Edge as a $36K vehicle and start thinking of it as a ~$30K vehicle and price is no longer a big issue.

I love how everyone talks about reality around here, but few of us actually seem to live there. It's true a loaded Edge is going to run about 36K. It's also true that they base at about 26K. Now lets interject reality.

Dealers are very unlikely to keep a bare bones anything on their lots. They always add options because options is where they make most of their money because frankly you get your ass ripped off for them. So bet the farm that the average Ford Edge on the lot will be priced in the 30 to 31K price range. If most of the dealers do business the way the Ford dealer here does then most of those Edges will be a lot closer to the loaded up price tag than they will to the base model one. Now sure, you can order a base model if you like, but again lets interject some reality. The vast majority of buyers purchase from the lot, not by ordering.

If most of the dealers do business the way the Ford dealer here does then most of those Edges will be a lot closer to the loaded up price tag than they will to the base model one. Now sure, you can order a base model if you like, but again lets interject some reality. The vast majority of buyers purchase from the lot, not by ordering.

Ford puts out guidance on what the break down of vehicles that dealers should order, based on previous years sales. Using the Mustang as an example, the IUP had a take rate of 80% in 2005, when Ford projected only 10-20% on it. The 2006 MY this was corrected. From what I've read, Ford is looking at keeping most Edge models at the 30K mark. If the dealers want to order fully loaded models, they better sure as hell sell them, since they are the ones stuck with them. You don't go out and get all Town Cars when the local market wants Foci.

Personally, I'd much rather wait and get exactly what I want and order the car the way I wanted, instead of being stuck with something that might not be.

$36K isn't Ford territory in the minds of many buyers, just like it isn't Chrysler or GM--it's Infiniti, Lexus and Acura.

If you can find a $36,000 brand new Lexus RX, please let us all know, I'd love to see it!! That vehicle with the multi-panel roof, premium packages, Nav, DVD entertainment package, heated seats, and hitch in AWD lists for $50K! The 2007 FX35, loaded with all option groups, $48,900, and the new Acura MDX with all the technology and entertainment package, $47,000. These cars aren't rivals to the Edge in terms of price. They cost $1,000s, and $1,000s more. Just like the fella said about the Explorer. You do sell some of the $38-45K Eddie Bauer and Limited models, just not a lot. Most are the middle line XLT that goes for mid $30K range. And don't be suprised to see alot of dealers carrying base AWD SE models. Just in my region (PA), don't expect to see a whole lot of FWD models on lots. AWD is more prevelant with the snow we get here.

I just finished reading the C&D review of the Edge in this months issue. They liked the way the Edge handles, said it feels solid. They liked the AdvanceTrac system and they liked the overall appearance of the body design. What they didn't like? Well their test vehicle got 15 mpg city. In an age when people are shying away from SUV's due to gas consumption, this is not a good around town number. Their test vehicle was AWD, equipped with the sunroof, navigation system, 18 inch wheels and six months of sirrus on the house. Price tag? $36,465, so like I said, the damn thing is overpriced and too expensive. I guarantee you the average price tag on the lot will be around 30 grand. But that's my gripe, no theirs. Getting back to them, they didn't like that there were no passenger-assist handles, no soft lining in the storage nooks and the one that really floored me, no manumatic transmission. A 36 grand SUV with no manumatic, that's just pitiful guys come on. Manumatic has been common place for nearly a decade now and the technology is nothing new, it's been around for a couple decades at least. But Ford is just now in the last couple of years getting around to putting it in their products and their new flagship Crossover doesn't have it? That's pretty weak. They didn't really get into the interior other than to mention they liked the leather seats and they liked how roomy it was.

the starting price is 25.5 which is fairly equipped (17" wheels, decent stereo, tons of safety options, etc) and comes with the same impressive drivetrain. with any incentives it would be had under $25,000. do I need to remind you that the AVERAGE car on the road costs over $28000? personally I wouldn't call the Edge any average car so that seems fine by me.

so they reviewed a fully loaded Ford that MSRP's for around 10k more. so what? punish Ford for offering too many options? if people are worried about price, scratch off the sunroof and you save a grand right there. no nav? another 1500. every car company's offerings look a lot more expensive when you select every option available. avg. joe shmoe consumer doesn't need these and therefore they won't get them. problem solved

Edited by bri719