Zephyr + Mustang =

You Lie! That's a MKZ on that Mustang! ;)

Oh right it is.. I forgot I used the MKZ picture. However in my mind it will always be a Zephyr... LOL.

Realistically though if I was to base a Lincoln off the Mustang I'd make it to have that nice chrome strip running from front to back at the shoulders.

It certainly would be cool to have something like this as a Hot Rod Lincoln two door/convertible companion to the Zephyr... uh I mean MKZ. Cadillac gets to have a an XLR-V, why shouldn't we get a Boss Lincoln.

Don't you mean MKIX (and pronounce the I and X as letters also)? :hysterical:

EM-KAY-EYE-EX? LOL

We could call it MKV... But that suggests it does not conform to numeric succession of the last real Mark.

Anyway, I can see Zephyr-like taillamps on the back of this plus a similarly sculpted decklid. And of course the trademark Lincoln Interior. The only actual exterior surfaces I would share with a Mustang would be the doors, roof and windshield. All other panels would be unique to give it a Lincoln look, including a different quarter window treatment. However, I resisted the temptation to make the Mustang's quarter windows into oval opera wndows like the early 70's Marks... LOL!

I like how the shovel-nosed front end changes the look of the Mustang. However there has always been something wrong with the Mustang hood not being as flatter accross the width of the car, which was right on the Mustang concept show car.

EM-KAY-EYE-EX? LOL

We could call it MKV... But that suggests it does not conform to numeric succession of the last real Mark.

Anyway, I can see Zephyr-like taillamps on the back of this plus a similarly sculpted decklid. And of course the trademark Lincoln Interior. The only actual exterior surfaces I would share with a Mustang would be the doors, roof and windshield. All other panels would be unique to give it a Lincoln look, including a different quarter window treatment. However, I resisted the temptation to make the Mustang's quarter windows into oval opera wndows like the early 70's Marks... LOL!

I like how the shovel-nosed front end changes the look of the Mustang. However there has always been something wrong with the Mustang hood not being as flatter accross the width of the car, which was right on the Mustang concept show car.

If Lincoln DOES get a version of the Mustang, it must NOT share ANY stampings except maybe the roof. The door panels on the Mustang integrate into the rest of the body and would not translate well to another front and rear clip in my opinion. Also, the fender flares on a Lincoln version should be a bit more "swoopy" and not quite as bold and angular as they are on the Mustang. A new Mark IX should portray elegance and sophistication above anything else.

And for cripes sake I wish Ford did something different with the side mirrors. They look ridickerus!

Edited by NickF1011

If Lincoln DOES get a version of the Mustang, it must NOT share ANY stampings except maybe the roof. The door panels on the Mustang integrate into the rest of the body and would not translate well to another front and rear clip in my opinion. Also, the fender flares on a Lincoln version should be a bit more "swoopy" and not quite as bold and angular as they are on the Mustang. A new Mark IX should portray elegance and sophistication above anything else.

And for cripes sake I wish Ford did something different with the side mirrors. They look ridickerus!

Since the Lincoln version of the Mustang would get unique front fenders and rear quarters the wheel flares can be softened. However I disagree that the door skins would necessarily have to be changed. The C-scoop on the Mustang can be eliminated with the Lincoln version's new quarter stampings and the lines from the lower door fade into the rear quarters or relieve like they start in the front fenders instead. Anyway, an extra stamping of alternate door skins is really no big deal anyway. Ideally I would have it look more like the softly radiused bodysides of the Mark 9 showcar with the chrome upper blade molding running front to back. It will be nice for the Lincoln version to share the roofline of the Mustang for that sporty fastback look and intentionally give it a relationship with the Mustang but as a luxury alternative. One feature I would add to the front fenders is a nicely styled air extractor integrating the Lincoln star emblem.

Back in the day Ford applied the famous Thunderbird roofline on the Thunderbird as well as a number of vehicles and people enjoyed the relationship to a halo model and no one complained.

Another thought that I pondered is that the original Mustang was designed to bring back the spirit of the original Thunderbird in an afforable package. The Mustang notchback had a Thunderbird-like roofline. It's really no coincidence that the new Mustang convertible outsells the recent Thunderbird because people want something that they can actually obtain rather than only dream of owning.

Edited by Watchdevil

I ran across a picture I took of a pristine red 1973 Cougar convertible with white top and interior. I always loved the big car front on the Mustang sized body. I am kinda torn because I would really like to see a Cougar revived although a Lincoln variant would look nice. I think given the choice, it would give Mercury something it needs more than Lincoln in the luxury sport class. But why not make an exclusive Lincoln version in limited numbers as a Hot Rod Lincoln with GT500 power and perfromance.

"Ooooh. Another badge engineered car. How original."

Not really. Re-doing the door "systems" to a higher-grade of glass fit, is expensive, which is why Ford carried-over the doors on its Taurus re-do's. It's actually the opposite of "badge engineering", because it's a fundamental difference in an important part of the body, and not just a badge change.