Impala going rear wheel drive in 2009

Blue Oval Staff

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pontiac dealers are merged with Buicks, so they will be lucky to see anything from Zeta.

Ford Australia is milking an old RWD design, and also, Ford USA made S197 all by themselves. But, the days of each branch of Ford [and all car makers] making their own car platforms, due to nationalism, are over.

Falcon's platform has changed through evolution. It's not an old design, it's much newer/more advanced than any other Ford RWD in USA. It's the only thing Ford has close to matching Zeta

Edited by jpd80

Falcon's platform has changed through evolution. It's not an old design, it's much newer/more advanced than any other Ford RWD in USA. It's the only thing Ford has close to matching Zeta

"Close" isn't good enough anymore. Well, it never really was, but that was the Ford status quo for decades. If they are going to re-enter the RWD sedan market, they can't do it half-assed. If the plan is to use the current Falcon chassis, they should skip it all together.

"Close" isn't good enough anymore. Well, it never really was, but that was the Ford status quo for decades. If they are going to re-enter the RWD sedan market, they can't do it half-assed. If the plan is to use the current Falcon chassis, they should skip it all together.

we can't say its better yet 'cause it's not out for another 16 months. For the last 17 years,Falcon has alway been technically superior to Commodore, it just needs the fresh sheetmetal of Orion. Current Falcon is a brilliant car to drive, it has longwheelbase Fairlane/LTD, has a commercial BOF utility, has an AWD SUV Territory derivative, better than Explorer (puss).

No other Ford platform in USA or Europe is anywhere near as versatile. The next Falcon will be engineered for LHD and will share more front suspension/ steering with its sibling Territory, moving steering rack in front of crossmember enables AWD of Territory to be adapted to Falcon.

Edited by jpd80

Here's a review of the WM Statesman (Zeta long Wheelbase, it's over 5 metres long)

I've attached a review of a 3.6 litre V6 version.

Be aware the HFV6 pulls the near 2 ton car 0-60 mph in 7.5 secs similar to 4.6 CV.

Enjoy, it's about 9 minutes long.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkSirm3otXc

More great Holden test drives can be seen at www.seeitdrive.com

63.jpg

Edited by jpd80

It's got the greenhouse of the Ford Five Hundred.

Why?

In the flesh the roof line isn't as Volvoish as the Fivehundred, its abig fella, around 5 metres, nearly 16 feet.

AND this is GM remember, they're not above copying other styles too!

Don't be scared of the prices they say, in Aussie dollars, think about 2/3s for USD, this is upper end luxury spec. USA models could be more basic. 15.5 sec 1/4 mile for 3.6 V6 5-speed auto good as CV?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkSirm3otXc

63.jpg

Edited by jpd80

Looks as plain as saltine crackers.

One reason AUS still has their old RWD cars, is they didn't go truck crazy as the USA. So, R&D went into them. But would they 'sell' here?

I don't mind either way, I like Fords what do I care!

Like I said, this is the beautiful "Aussie styled car".

North America will gets the butt-ugly version which all of you will love :stirpot: .

Expect a barage of nationalistic advertisments, the American car and such.

Just don't tell 'em who did the archetecture.....Shhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

Edited by jpd80

whoa. A Simpson's reference that escapes me!!

What episode?

Don't know the specific episode, but it goes like this:

Marge: I can't believe it! We won another contest!

Homer: The Simpsons are going to Delaware!

Lisa: I want to see Wilmington!

Bart: I want to visit a screen door factory!

:hysterical:

Didn't miss it, I saw it and didn't like it. It was from the "Behind the Laughter" episode.

That was just a clip on the "Behind the Laughter" episode. The original reference is from the episode where the Simpson's end up riding the rails with the Hobo after Homer refuses to pay the $5 airport tax on their trip to Delaware. "Damned anti fist shaking law". The Hobo tells stories in exchange for sponge baths from Homer. The stories include Homer as Paul Bunyan, Bart and Nelson as Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn and I think Lisa as Connie Appleseed.

They air Simpson's reruns twice a day here at dinner time. Beats the hell out of watching the news.

D'OH! You beat me to my favorite line!

All together now,

Canyonnnnnnerrrrrrrrroooooooooooooooo

12 yards long, 2 lanes wide,

65 tons of American Pride!

Just don't get the "F" series. All the guys will think you are gay.

Sorry Guys, I got sick of talking about GM styling.

I recon Ford AUS could do the 427 on a "LWB Orion" (not planned as yet).

They could also use the Falcon's 111" WB for a Thunderbird coupe using that nose.

I think that wold kill GM Zeta for looks:

ford-427-1617.jpg

Edited by jpd80