NEW FORD S-MAX TO BE PRODUCED AND SOLD IN CHINA

NEW FORD S-MAX TO BE PRODUCED AND SOLD IN CHINA AS FORD ACCELERATES GROWTH IN ASIA

* European Product Development playing increasingly prominent role in Ford China vehicle line-up

* New China research and engineering centre to be established

COLOGNE/BEIJING , November 17 , 200 6 – The new Ford S-MAX – newly crowned Car of the Year 2007 -- is making news at the Auto China 2006 motor show in Beijing with Ford's announcement that it will produce and sell the sporty people-mover in China.

The Ford S-MAX, which this week was named 'Car of the Year 2007' by a jury of 58 top motoring journalists from 22 European countries, is the star of the Ford stand at the Beijing show. Starting in early 2007, the S-MAX will be produced at Changan Ford Mazda Automobile Corporation Ltd for sale in China.

The S-MAX is the first Ford vehicle to introduce "kinetic design" to China's motoring enthusiasts. "To us, 'kinetic design' is about expressing energy in motion and power of our vehicles, seamlessly integrating strong visual cues with dynamic driving performance," said Martin Smith, Executive Design Director for Ford of Europe.

"You only have to look at the Ford S-MAX. Its bold kinetic design offers function, space and flexibility alongside head turning 'wow factor' and dynamic driveability. This winning formula is what's made Ford S-MAX such a success in Europe," said Smith.

European-designed products are playing a prominent role at the Beijing show for Ford, demonstrating the growing product synergies between Ford's operations in Europe and China. The Ford S-MAX is joined by the Ford iosis Concept as together both vehicles introduce Chinese consumers to Ford's dynamic 'kinetic design' form language.

In addition, the European-engineered Ford Focus family is on display, including the locally produced Focus 4-door and Focus 5-door, the Focus China Circuit Championship (CCC) race car, and the high performance Focus ST, which makes its appearance in China for the first time.

Introduced in China in 2005, the Focus has been the star product in the country's mid-size car market. The car boosted sales at Changan Ford Mazda Automobile in the first ten months of 2006 with the retail sales totalling 56,151 units, taking over half of the total sales of the automaker. Popularity of the Focus with Chinese consumers has continued to grow with the introduction of the Focus hatchback model in August 2006.

The mid-sized local market version of the Ford Mondeo is also selling well in China, growing 33 percent in the first three quarters of 2006 compared to last year. Mondeo was China's 'Car of the Year' in 2005 and customer preference for the model continues to grow.

"We are using Auto China 2006 to showcase the strength of our product range, reinforcing the depth and diversity of the Ford Motor Company product family. Our portfolio has something to appeal to everyone, from dependable and affordable transportation through to luxurious premium brands. In the future, Chinese customers can continue to expect more exciting, locally-made Ford vehicles that consistently deliver cutting-edge design and world leading technology, "said Mei Wei Cheng. Chairman and CEO of Ford Motor ( China) Ltd.

European Design for Chinese Customers

Increasing product development collaboration between Europe and China is a natural outgrowth of similarities between the two markets.

" China's auto regulations are becoming very similar to European regulations, so there is a natural synergy with China's and Europe's products," said John Shelton, Product Development Director, Asia Pacific & Africa. " China regulates fuel economy differently, however, and is not as diesel-centric as Europe."

Also, European vehicle design and function generally meets the needs of many Chinese consumers. "Much like the rest of the world, there's an emerging middle class, typically younger, and they want the very stylish vehicles that Europe is producing now," said Shelton.

He added: "We are working hand-in-hand with Ford of Europe as we define new product needs, and we are moving further and further upstream to marry those common programs from the beginning."

For Ford of Europe, the intense interest in its new products from Chinese customers is having a profound effect on the entire Product Development process.

"Our development teams in Dunton and Merkenich are now considering Asia Pacific and African market requirements in their programmes from the outset," said John Fleming, Ford of Europe President and CEO. "We work very closely with the region and will continue to do so for all of our major new products, tailoring them or looking at specific derivatives for these markets as appropriate."

New Research and Engineering Centre

In addition to a strong product showing at Auto China 2006, Ford Motor Company also announced a major new investment - the opening of the Ford Research and Engineering Centre – to be located in Nanjing, China. It will support Ford Motor Company's product development for worldwide operations while also making a major contribution to the future of China’s auto market.

"The Ford Research and Engineering Centre represents another major milestone for Ford as it strengthens its manufacturing blueprint in China. It will offer a winning combination that leverages Ford's global expertise in research and engineering, in addition to building China’s leading local talent. It will also work with Technical Development Centres at Ford Motor's joint ventures in China to support product development and procurement," said Mei Wei Cheng.

With strong sales momentum, Changan Ford Mazda Automobile is now one of the fastest growing auto makers in China. In 2007, total annual production capacity will exceed 410,000 units at Chongqing and Nanjing plants (combined). Ford also continues to expand its distribution network and will have 200 appointed dealers by the end of 2006.

"It is no secret that the China market is critical to our plans for building a stronger Ford Motor Company globally," said Mei Wei Cheng. "With sales volumes continuing to fuel growth, we are looking ahead and taking the required steps now to ensure our China operation is able to continue to meet the seemingly insatiable appetite for our products. In doing so, the China market will play an even greater role in the future growth and success of Ford Motor Company’s global operations."

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:banghead::censored::banghead::censored::censored::banghead::censored:

So...let's review:

Ford-HQed in the USA-is taking its award winning S-MAX van to China...while in the US, the Freestar was maybe the worst minivan (when compared to peers) in market history and the Freestyle is barely moving.

Please, Richard, don't blow this up into something it's not...this is a Ford guy seeing a very attractive and useful Ford vehicle that won't be in the market where Ford needs something like this the most.

Leave any "burn it down and start over" rhetoric at the door. Ford NA could benefit from this, and I've said that since the S-MAX was a show vehicle.

410,000 units/year + 200 dealers. I had no idea Ford was so strong in China. I really have no idea about the Chinese market and pricing sensitivity and such, does anyone know how the S-Max fits price wise? I would think the S-Max would be the upper end of the mainstream market, but I may also be way off in that assessment.

And I won't mention the S-Max & the US market. Nope, not me. Not at all. Wouldn't dream of it.

Scott

Well, Ford could probably import the S-Max from China and turn a profit on it, which is more than I can say for any S-Max imported from Europe.

Anyone wanna guess how well the UAW would take THAT?

Might as well wait until CD3 is replaced by EUCD2

A Chinese manufactured Mercury minivan, would anybody buy it? I guess if the quality was there and if the price was right they would. Sad...

By planning NOW to get a plant (or plants)...preferably here, but down South if needed...that would be flexible enough to handle C1+/C2/EUCD, as the smart money seems to show the future car/crossover models on those platforms.

Sooooooo instead of re-tooling Hermosillo, OAC, and Chicago to build EUCD2 in a few years, and Wayne and KC to build C2, you'd build an all new plant somewhere else just for EUCD, and ..... well?

A Chinese manufactured Mercury minivan, would anybody buy it? I guess if the quality was there and if the price was right they would. Sad...

Just about everything else we buy comes from there, I doubt cars are too far behind. It is a sad state, and one that will probably have long-term effects on our own economy, but that's a whole different topic.

Sooooooo instead of re-tooling Hermosillo, OAC, and Chicago to build EUCD2 in a few years, and Wayne and KC to build C2, you'd build an all new plant somewhere else just for EUCD, and ..... well?

You need a plant that can build these European based archectures. WE need a mirror plant to the european plants. those EU have better quality flexibilty and effecency. we do not want a repeat of the Focus and contour launches.

I must be one of the few is about to say this...but I think this thing is ugly! It looks like something that Daewoo would have designed. I'm sorry, but Ford of Europe design is not doing good things these days. I'd invite people to review some of the crisper and neater designs from Vauxhall/Opel as some of the better and more importable European designs. Ford EU is still doing pretty good on the inside however.

Overall, I don't see a lot of definition or consistency in the design, it's just too generic and innert. Car design needs to make a bolder statement, this is something that would have worked better back in the 1990s. The same goes for the new Mondeo design.

Edited by BORG

You need a plant that can build these European based archectures. WE need a mirror plant to the european plants. those EU have better quality flexibilty and effecency. we do not want a repeat of the Focus and contour launches.

In due time. The CD3s and D3s are hardly so uncompetitive that this demands immediate 'drop everything' action.

The more I see this thing the more I realize how bad Ford needs to sell it here.

I'm so sick of hearing how no car Ford builds in other countries is suitable here while every other damn manufacturer does so with success. Ford's NA product other than the Mustang and the trucks are absolute jokes.

Ford has no minivan that can compete, here is a solid entry and they won't sell it here like so many other of their great foreign products. It's good for the entire rest of the world, but for some reason, us Americans aren't good enough for it, hopefully this is one of the things Mullaly is going to change after he saw what a clusterfuck Ford is. They are getting hammered in their home market, and hitting home runs overseas, it's time to bring these cars over here since Ford NA isn't capable of building competitive products.

Did anybody see the S-max win in Top Gears review? Beat the more expensive Mercedes even! Incredible, cars from Lincoln are only competitive with stuff like Honda, yet in Europe your basic Ford beats Mercedes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSraxeUO-mE

There the video clip is... What is wrong with Ford??? Why can't we get anything good here?

Edited by Blueblood

Here's a thought.

You call up Mulally, and you tell him you want the S-Max so bad you'll cut him a check for $1,000,000,000.00 so he can retool a plant here to build the thing.

Reality check, people. You can't import the S-Max from Europe without losing money on the exchange rate, and it would cost a billion dollars to setup a factory here (with a supply base) to build it.

This is going to be done eventually. Before Mulally came on board there were execs that wanted to rationalize Ford's global architectures (CD3 was supposed to underpin the S-Max). Now it's a near certainty.

But until that time, like I said, let's not pretend that Ford can 'just' start manufacturing cars here like they do in Europe. It will cost about a billion dollars per plant at Wayne, KC, Chicago, OAC, and Hermosillo.

Here's a thought.

You call up Mulally, and you tell him you want the S-Max so bad you'll cut him a check for $1,000,000,000.00 so he can retool a plant here to build the thing.

Reality check, people. You can't import the S-Max from Europe without losing money on the exchange rate, and it would cost a billion dollars to setup a factory here (with a supply base) to build it.

This is going to be done eventually. Before Mulally came on board there were execs that wanted to rationalize Ford's global architectures (CD3 was supposed to underpin the S-Max). Now it's a near certainty.

But until that time, like I said, let's not pretend that Ford can 'just' start manufacturing cars here like they do in Europe. It will cost about a billion dollars per plant at Wayne, KC, Chicago, OAC, and Hermosillo.

richard where did you get your numbers from?

simple question?

you make it seem like This is money ford wouldn't spend eventually.

Then you are saying that Fords FLEX plants aren't flexible?

this is the problem Fords Flex plant in N.A. are not the same as Ford's flex plants in the EU. BTW all EU plant are flex.

you make it seem like This is money ford wouldn't spend eventually.

exactly.

And, let's say that next year you are going to spend $18,000 on house payments and property taxes.

Well, why not just pay the $18,000 on the first of January?

After all, it's money you're going to spend eventually......

I think they are plenty flexable, I just can't understand why they re not utilized.

The source you quoted does not state what it would cost to change the models assembled there.