FORD PREVIEWS NEW C-MAX

BRENTWOOD, Essex, December 5, 2006 : Ford is previewing a new look for the Ford C-MAX at this year's Bologna Motor Show. The new Ford C-MAX benefits from a refined new front-end design including elements of the company's "kinetic design" form language, plus a significantly improved interior and a host of new features.

The new Ford C-MAX will sit alongside the Ford S-MAX, voted Car of the Year 2007, to offer two stylish and sporty multi-activity vehicles.

"Although we originally launched this vehicle as the Ford Focus C-MAX, we have chosen to give the freshened model its own identity, similar to the S-MAX", explains Stephen Odell, Vice President of Marketing, Sales and Service for Ford of Europe.

"The cornerstone of our 'MAX' strategy is to give customers all the features, space and flexibility they need from a family vehicle, but with a style that allows them to stand out in the crowd, and above all to maximise driving pleasure," said Odell. "Both the new C-MAX and the bigger S-MAX are true to this concept – versatile, comfortable and spacious, yet also great fun to drive."

Fresh and Contemporary

The front of the car introduces distinctive air intakes while the lower grille features the large inverted trapezoid, a key element of kinetic design.

The new one-piece bumper integrates vertical fog lights, and these combine with new headlamps to create a distinctive and sporty look. Together with a new three-plane bonnet, these elements give the C-MAX a distinctly sporty feel, highlighting the "energy in motion" theme that kinetic design creates.

New and innovative lighting technology includes high intensity discharge (HID) front lamps, which use 'light strips' instead of conventional parking light bulbs. Fluorescent tubes illuminated in light blue follow the form of the front lights and accentuate the sloping front profile.

At the rear, the C-MAX gets a redesigned bumper and new LED rear lights. Both front and rear bumpers are lower and fuller than before, giving the car a strong and agile look from every angle. Also, new 'blue glass' adds extra classiness to the vehicle's style.

New interior design

The instrument panel, centre console and door trims have all been redesigned with more premium quality materials. New instruments feature clear graphics and are now illuminated in a warm red.

The new centre console offers plenty of stowage and is equipped with and an auxiliary input socket for the audio system. The new C-MAX also includes a Z-shaped handbrake lever, which saves room and enhances appearance.

New interior colours, new graphic elements like the door inserts with boomerang-shaped handles that also serve as armrests, more stowage space as well as new seat design and seat materials add style, comfort and practicality to the passenger cabin. A panorama glass roof will be available on the new model, offering a light and airy environment while keeping out the sun's heat with its "Solar Reflect" coating.

Detailed information and technical data for Ford C-MAX will be available closer to launch in 2007.

WKA2006120509311_pv.jpg

WKA2006120509201_pv.jpg

WKA2006120509215_pv.jpg

WKA2006120509077_pv.jpg

Yes, the small station wagon lives. Just not here. (and I know what many will say - it is a CUV/crossover/multi activity vehicle and so on, but I call it as I see it and will be starting to look for my next station wagon within the next year)

Current Focus C-MAX (worldcarfans.com)

1022.jpg

I like the new look and I like the "regrouping" of "-MAX"es into a "sporty" people carrier category. Wish we could get both here. But, I must say, while the C-MAX is handsome, the facelift is pretty conservative, especially compared with the fancy swoops and lines of the S-MAX. I would like to have seen Ford be a bit more "wild" with the redo.

Still, a nice solid entry and a very good array of people carriers by Ford with the C-MAX, S-MAX, and Galaxy. Plus the Mondeo wagon. Very, very nice.

Why do they even bother with shift levers in this day and age of 'drive by wire'?

Look at all that prime space wasted for a lever that gets put in drive then back into park at the beginning and end of a trip, and isn't used for anything else otherwise. Looks like a great spot for a 'purse barn'.

Push button automatics, little levers on the column, buttons on an overhead console, where ever, just get that thing out of there. What exactly IS the point anymore?

Why do they even bother with shift levers in this day and age of 'drive by wire'?

I don't know if this is a generally philosophy comment or a specific question for the C-MAX, but I'm pretty sure the pictured C-MAX has a manual transmission.

As to why? Well, I prefer the look & feel of my transmission lever to that wussy little "cruise control" switch that passes for a transmission lever on the BMW 7-Series. I guess it's like Airbus side-stick vs. Boeing yoke cockpit design. Sure the side-stick is newer and arguably "better" but there is just something about grabbing a control yoke that just "makes sense."

...And of course (I think) not all auto. trans. are completely isolated via electronics from the gear levers...

Scott

1) as a EUROPEAN MODEL - it makes sense it is Manual - about 80% of EU sales are MTX .. Europeans HATE automatics .. old people and some commercial trucks and maybe limos have Automatics .. others shift their own gears .. it is CHEAPER to buy, and MORE FUEL EFFICIENT ... and Europeans do care about that.

2) we all should keep in mind, this is a FACELIFT .. not a new vehicle - basically only the nose was changed - so it is more conservative than the S-MAX .. The new C-MAX is to come in 2008 as 09 Model (IIRC).

3) I really hope the C2 CUV will come to us.

Igor

Edited by igor

So wouldn't the CVT work well in this model?

Or this?

'Automatic' Manual

Or, if you opt for an automatic, you get a cleaner, clearer console as a benefit along with better shifting?

Why should an automatic just lose you the 'leather' boot and give you a (usually) shiny lever base/surround?

Since a lot of automatics already show the gear selection in the main gauge cluster, why not just get rid of the clutzy lever in the middle of everything if it isn't really needed as a 'lever'?

I guess with having the transmission lever on the center console, at least for myself, I have a place to rest my hand, and just flick up my finger if I need to touch something on the Navi system.

Now when I'm driving a vehicle with a column mounter transmission lever, I see myself just resting my hand on my crotch.

Hmm, I guess the latter is pleasurable, but less ergonomic or politically correct.... Could that be while all these years trucks and SUV's had column mounted levers....For men it was pleasauble while for women, it made space for a purse barn.... Things to think about...

I think some people might suggest putting the free hand on 1) the steering wheel or 2) to your ear with a phone in it or 3) out the window (roll it down first...and why is it still called 'rolling down'?).

Cars have lost the window crank, time to lose the honking big gear selector.

Look at all that prime space wasted for a lever that gets put in drive then back into park at the beginning and end of a trip, and isn't used for anything else otherwise. Looks like a great spot for a 'purse barn'.

Push button automatics, little levers on the column, buttons on an overhead console, where ever, just get that thing out of there. What exactly IS the point anymore?

What you need is voice activated shifting....

I

Now when I'm driving a vehicle with a column mounter transmission lever, I see myself just resting my hand on my crotch.

Hmm, I guess the latter is pleasurable, but less ergonomic or politically correct.... Could that be while all these years trucks and SUV's had column mounted levers....

Here we go again... Maybe it would be more pleasurable if it were mounted in the middle of the drivers seat...

Back in the day, you had to have column shifters just so your honey could sit beside you... Or perform other duties....

For men it was pleasauble while for women, it made space for a purse barn.... Things to think about...

Some men's mouth's are purse barns... until they open it and their purse falls out....

Thank God for butchness!! Now where is that ice blue Milan with the brown/beige interior?

Edited by Watchdevil

Yes, the small station wagon lives. Just not here. (and I know what many will say - it is a CUV/crossover/multi activity vehicle and so on, but I call it as I see it and will be starting to look for my next station wagon within the next year)

Everything smaller than a Fusion should emulate what FoE offers... Interesting, smart styled well packaged efficient vehicles that make sense. But we are talking about Ford of NA who held onto the Pinto so long it hurt... Meanwhile the Focus is becoming the modern Pinto...