2009 P415 F150

g48150

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just read in the "What We've Heard" column of Truck Trend that there's a rumor the Boss has been canceled for truck use and will be reserved for just the Mustang. Any truth to this?

I couldn't see ANY possible scenario where that would be plausible. Ford is not going to do R&D on an entire engine family and then just limit it to an application that only requires maybe 40,000-50,000 engines per year.

Just read in the "What We've Heard" column of Truck Trend that there's a rumor the Boss has been canceled for truck use and will be reserved for just the Mustang. Any truth to this?

Since 1985 we've been a die hard Ford family (14 new cars and trucks). If the powers-that-be in the truck division think that a 5.4 with the new six-speed automatic will give the '09 F-150 a leg up on the Hemi Dodges, 6.0 Chevrolet & GMC's, as well as the Toyota and Nissan trucks, they are seriously overestimating the loyalty of their ownership base. I was thinking that I would consider a '09 150 to replace my '03 Super Duty diesel. Given the complexity of new diesels, that they no longer are more economical due to the huge premium charged for a diesel engine, and diesel fuel that far exceeeds the cost of regular gasoline; I'm probably not going to be interested in buying a diesel F-150. This leaves me looking to buy a gasser. Any truck I would consider darn well better have performance equal to or better than my current truck. I could tolerate low teens fuel mileage, I just want the performance to justify it. I was hoping that there would be a 6.2 Boss 150 in my future. I guess not. 2009 might be the start of a new loyalty

I couldn't see ANY possible scenario where that would be plausible. Ford is not going to do R&D on an entire engine family and then just limit it to an application that only requires maybe 40,000-50,000 engines per year.

Ford has to use this in truck apps if they want to increase HP & Tq.. The MOD has been pushed as far as it can go due to bearing failure. While they could get 450 ftlbs out of the 5.4, the result would be blown bearings in a truck duty cycle. Trucks stress engines very differently than cars.

As for 3V vs 4V: I'm a big fan of DOHC 4V heads, but for 99% of street use, (99.9% of truck use) 4V offers no advantage over 3V. I once read an engineering study done by GM when they were designing the Quad-4. All tests indicated 4V only having an advantage above 8000 RPM. They only gave the Quad-4 a 4V head for marketing reasons. Braging rights!

Two plugs: If it results in better MPG and more power I'm all for it. Those who doubt this, should visit their local airport. Ask to see a small piston engined plane run-up. Watch the exhaust as the pilot switches from both magnitos to just one. On one, you'll see the flame change color and intensity as more fuel is left unburned in the cylinders. An experienced ear will also notice a difference in the sound of the engine.

Edited by Hemiman

Well I guess im not average..........I want performance in my truck! Oh buy the way I work my truck everday.

Add me to the list of "not average" too. Only a fool would think that a truck buyer wouldn't want performance and work readiness. I am sure that some don't demand performace but I seriously doubt they would say "I am not buying that damn Ford truck because the thing has too good of performance". Sounds silly to me.

How about a BOSS F-150?

I have a 2003 Lightning and I desperately want something new.

Just buy a Roush F-150 Stage-3 like this one:LINK

Or a Roush 500RC:LINK

The advantage over a Lightning is you can get SuperCab or CrewCabs.

445hp / 500ftlb

Sold and warrantied at Ford dealers these trucks have been available for years unlike the pipe-dream Tundra TuRD show picture that keeps popping up around here.

Edited by F250

Just buy a Roush F-150 Stage-3 like this one:LINK

Or a Roush 500RC:LINK

The advantage over a Lightning is you can get SuperCab or CrewCabs.

445hp / 500ftlb

Sold and warrantied at Ford dealers these trucks have been available for years unlike the pipe-dream Tundra TuRD show picture that keeps popping up around here.

That is just AWESOME!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Wish I could afford it, come on powerball

While a Roush version would be nice, Ford needs to come up with something to respond to Toyota's 381HP 5.7 V-8. I currently have a 345hp 6.0L Chevrolet SS Silverado and would like to see the F150 have a great engine so I could come back to Ford. I could get a Superduty for towing, but for fun something else would be nice.

Someone on this thread mentioned the AudiQ7 with the 6.0L TDI V-12. Ford's European diesel partner, Puegot has a 5.5L TDI V-12. Ford makes a 2.7L TDI V-6 at Dagenham right now. How hard would it be to to double that engine to a 5.4L or 5.5L TDI V-12 and pop that into a F150 at 500HP and 640 Torque? I'd buy one.

Add me to the list of "not average" too. Only a fool would think that a truck buyer wouldn't want performance and work readiness. I am sure that some don't demand performace but I seriously doubt they would say "I am not buying that damn Ford truck because the thing has too good of performance". Sounds silly to me.

There is a difference between "performance" in the likes of a car, and "performance" as it relates to a truck. Performance to a car enthusiast is 0-60, 1/4 mile, skidpad, and high speed handling, among other things. In a truck, it should be payload, towing, torque, loaded handling, and frame/body integrity after 5+ years on the road. If you are buying a TRD performance truck based on skidpad handling and 0-60 times, you are not buying a truck for the normal reason, just as Lightning buyers are probably not. Unfortunately, too many engineers are not looking to this as the benchmark for how they spec their trucks. If you watch the "through the wall" ad by Toyota, this is clearly evident. I haven't driven a new Tundra, but it doesn't mean I won't. But you have to see the difference in why some trucks are spec'd the way they are.

And you Lightning guys- don't flame me with ""hey- i tow with my truck!" Sure, we know that. But I haven't seen a Lightning with a ladder rack towing a tool trailer on a jobsite- you know what i mean!

Edited by DirtInTheZoo

They better come up with something. I remember watching a TV show where an SVT spokesman was talking about the 2003 Lightning and boasting about being the leaders and mentioning, "Where's the competition?" blah blah

Then they got it in a form of a high dollar, high Hp Dodge SRT RAM. And now...

ty20062007tundrashowtruc20112583.jpg

Try Toyotas definition of a sport truck: Supercharged, 580hp, and 6spd. Coming soon.

I drove a new 5.7L Toyota yesterday and that thing really ripped! I had my doubts of it being 381hp prior to the drive but there were no doubts after the drive.

Also drove the new 2008 SuperDuty 6.4 and was disappointed in its power. Felt no better than a 6.0 and a bunch less than my 7.3 with only a mild program and no other mods. Nice truck and no other complaints. One dynoed at 267 rwhp and 630 rwtq. Tq number ok but the rear wheel hp seems way down. highly disappointed.

Also drove a LBZ Chubby same time and it felt pretty close to the 6.4L Ford. Ford was quieter but power was not what I expected

I drove a new 5.7L Toyota yesterday and that thing really ripped! I had my doubts of it being 381hp prior to the drive but there were no doubts after the drive.

Also drove the new 2008 SuperDuty 6.4 and was disappointed in its power. Felt no better than a 6.0 and a bunch less than my 7.3 with only a mild program and no other mods. Nice truck and no other complaints. One dynoed at 267 rwhp and 630 rwtq. Tq number ok but the rear wheel hp seems way down. highly disappointed.

Also drove a LBZ Chubby same time and it felt pretty close to the 6.4L Ford. Ford was quieter but power was not what I expected

Man I went a drove the 5.7 toyota yesterday and the '08 superduty one with the V10 and another with the 6.4!! And I fill the same way you do...The toyota is AWSOME!! has all kinds of power and is alot faster than my ford 5.4. I do like the V10 in the superduty but the new 6.4 does not impress me at all!! I drove a old 7.3 at my last job with a 40hp tune on it and I would bet money it would outrun and out pull the new 6.4. I'm waiting on the new boss 6.2 in '08 and see if it's better than the 5.4 now.

Man I went a drove the 5.7 toyota yesterday and the '08 superduty one with the V10 and another with the 6.4!! And I fill the same way you do...The toyota is AWSOME!! has all kinds of power and is alot faster than my ford 5.4. I do like the V10 in the superduty but the new 6.4 does not impress me at all!! I drove a old 7.3 at my last job with a 40hp tune on it and I would bet money it would outrun and out pull the new 6.4. I'm waiting on the new boss 6.2 in '08 and see if it's better than the 5.4 now.

Truck itself no complaints but the power seemed way down to me. Saw another post somewhere with a dyno test for new 6.4 and it showed 275rwhp and 630rwtq. seems the torque for stock is pretty good but not so sure on the HP. seems to me a stock 6.0 or a mild tune 7.3 would easy make that. I will have to try mine on dyno just for fun.

The info they are giving to 6.4 owners is if you mod the warranty is no good! Period! This means every other truck will be kicking your butt!

Gorgeous trucks and very nice to drive but power needs a boost

The transmission is probably keeping the engine around the torque peak, which is 2000RPM, where the HP would be 247 at the flywheel.

However, if the REAR WHEEL torque for the PSD was 630 lb ft, that's pretty amazing, because if you assume 15% power train losses that's 725 lb ft at the flywheel.

Edited by RichardJensen

Truck itself no complaints but the power seemed way down to me. Saw another post somewhere with a dyno test for new 6.4 and it showed 275rwhp and 630rwtq. seems the torque for stock is pretty good but not so sure on the HP. seems to me a stock 6.0 or a mild tune 7.3 would easy make that. I will have to try mine on dyno just for fun.

The info they are giving to 6.4 owners is if you mod the warranty is no good! Period! This means every other truck will be kicking your butt!

Gorgeous trucks and very nice to drive but power needs a boost

Oh yes the new superduty is a great looking truck but I dont need or want a superduty for my work so a 1/2 ton works fine for me. Thats why I went and looked at the new tundra it has LOADS of power and thats what I look for. I want the new F-150 out NOW :D I cant wait to drive the new boss 6.2 engine!!

I'll agree there... The first company to bring a competitive deseil (higher torque, better gas milage) to the half-ton market it going to clean up. There are a great many people driving larger trucks simply because of the deseil availability. One only needs to look at the residuals of a deseil truck to see the pent-up demand. Ford could get a huge lift by installing a V8 deseil in the F150/Expy, and a V6 deseil in the Explorer/Ranger.

The thing that I find interesting is the number of people that still think that high horsepower "fast" trucks (or any vehicle for that matter), are going to be desireable or have any market value in a few years. Must be that there are a lot of pople out there that believe all the craps and lies that the Saudis and others have been putting out.

My only question is that if you buy on "time" and make payments (opposed to a cash purchase), what are you going to do with a 500 HP truck when gas hits $100/barrel in a few yearsa and it costs $100+ to fill the tank?

The thing that I find interesting is the number of people that still think that high horsepower "fast" trucks (or any vehicle for that matter), are going to be desireable or have any market value in a few years. Must be that there are a lot of pople out there that believe all the craps and lies that the Saudis and others have been putting out.

My only question is that if you buy on "time" and make payments (opposed to a cash purchase), what are you going to do with a 500 HP truck when gas hits $100/barrel in a few yearsa and it costs $100+ to fill the tank?

I'd spend $100+ to fill the tank. Most people who buy performance vehicles have other vehicles they use as daily drivers. I'm not selling my Cobra, regardless of fuel prices. I have another car to drive every day.

That's the smart way to do it. The world, and what we have been used to/like/love concerning vehicles is going to change in the not-so-distant future. The world is not going to end and long term we are probably in good shape, but there is going to be a period where energy (spec petroleum) is going to cause havoc.

I agree with Kris and hope that Ford is the one that brings a bullet-proof diesel to the 1/2T pickup. I've got my F150 so that I can get over 20 mpg (4.6L) and it still runs great, I want the 8' bed and will probably wait for the diesel F150. Who knows maybe they will even do a hybrid. As long as it will pull the boat (bay boat), that would work just fine.

I do not need a truck to hot rod around in.

Richard, just as a point of reference, HD automatic trannies typically eat as much as 30% power.

Based on those initial numbers, you would have 24% loss in hp................and torque is way underrated. This is way inline for the competition.

The Allison 1000 has typically shown 30% loss, and Chryslers HD tranny has done about the same.

The best numbers I ever saw on an auto tranny were 11% loss (up to 15%) for the 4R100 in the Lightning. However, everyone knows that the hp rating on those engines was low. Half ton auto trannies typically range in the 18-25% range (this is adding the loss from the rear diff, which is markedly different between, say, a 9.5" and a 10.5")

BTW, comparing seat-of-pants between a brand new engine and a broken in engine is silly.

• 1 month later...

With General Motors and Toyota both having new full-size pickups in showrooms this year, Ford is understandably keen to push up the development cycle of its pivotal Ford F-150, likely due as a 2009 model.

Don't rush it you idiots! Ford rushed the 6 liter PSD because they were scared of the Duramax and it resulted in 100's of millions in warranty claims and lost market share in the diesel pu market which they once dominated.

Have we not learned from our major mistakes????

deja vu

Edited by Automotive Paint