Edmunds slams the "new" 2008 Escape

pcsario

They may have been an improvement if the braking distances at least stayed the same or better yet improved, but the edmunds test shows worst-in-class braking distances in the new Escape. THAT is inexcusable and practically dangerous. Personally I could care less about disk vs drum brakes on the rears of vehicles, I think properly set up they can perform equally well in everyday driving (not performance driving, but the 1% of the population that cares about performance driving probably isn't buying compact SUV's anyways).

Exactly,

If my 2005 Mariner with rear drums can stop withing 130ft from 60mph why can't the 2008 model, or the brand new Frod Edge for that matter????

Somthing is bad wrong in the brake engineering department at Ford these days....

• 4 years later...

I just read the front page with Richard Response about the review.

He said the guy involved with the program was given early retirement obviously to get him out of Ford.........They need to do that with a lot more old timers who ran the company into the ground.

It is laughable that a company basically admits the vehicle is not competitive before it even launches. How sad is that. A company that has to do that should be out of business. Luckily Ford has money, and their global divisions are exceeding with fantastic product.

But what Now? Another few years of this dated vehicle on the lots before it is cancelled due to low sales only because it is ultimately over priced junk that can't hold its own against the competition............How many vehicles did ford cancel because of the same situation.

Now you can say will just put in a new drive train.............But another issue is it still looks way too similar to the old escape. You say it has all new sheetmetal...........................that only shows how absolutely idiotic the people running the program for..............same powertrain but new sheetmetal which looks almost identical to the previous other than the front and for those who will even notice a slightly higher belt line...........

I just can't believe it, but unfortunately it takes years to put out a product and vehicles like the flop that will be the escape were put into motion when ford had a bunch of idiots running the show.....................

Bye Bye to number one selling small SUV, honda and toyota now take over another segment. :banghead:

How wrong this person was... LOL :hysterical:

'Nuff said.

Just like we'll be quoting you in 3 years about Lincoln. LOL!

We shall see. If Lincoln is a roaring success in 3 years then I will admit I was wrong. I will however never change my opinion that the MKT is ugly and is viewed as ugly by the majority of people. That is one design that should have never made it past the clay mold stage.

I doubt I will ever be able to afford a Lincoln so I guess my opinion doesn't have a lot of merit anyhow. I still think the MKT is ugly. That fact will never change.

Has anyone here who is defending Lincoln actually called the MKT attractive? I certainly haven't.

Nope. In fact I can't even defend the current Lincoln lineup based on current pricing and features/design, etc. It's better than it was 10 years ago for sure. But it doesn't matter because what we currently have is not what Ford has planned for Lincoln in any way shape or form.

Let the negatards negatate all they want based on the current situation because none of it is applicable to the future.