Mulally: Five Hundred should have been Taurus

arepb

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So what mistake was made with the 500? Simple, the promotion of the product. To this day, if you go out and talk to people, they will tell you that they KNOW Ford makes a "retro" Mustang. Then if you mention the 500 (or Fusion for that matter) they'll look at you and go "huh?"

The problem isn't that folks buy Camry's and Accords. The problem is that they are doing this NOT knowing that Ford has a competitor on their lot. Ford has the new Car and Driver fusion commercial on TV. I think that in the last three weeks, I have seen it ONCE!! Umm.....HELLO!!!!

I can say that if my next car is used, I think a 500 without CVT (still don't trust the CVT on any product for the long haul) would be perfect. BIg, economical sedan. Damn good car. And I like the looks as well.

Nailed it right there. The average consumer on the street couldn't spot a 500 if the damned thing ran over them. :P Ditto the Freestyle- and it's a crying shame, because they're both very good cars. Meanwhile, GM pushed almost 300,000 Impalas out the door last year. Make no mistake- the Impala is a competent family car as well, but GM promoted it, and that's the primary difference between the two vehicles.

I wonder if its not possible with EUCD to Give the US a "Taurus replacement" sized Fusion and eliminate the 500 altogeather.

Would a bigger Fusion do the trick or is that wrong thinking?

I think that would be the wrong direction to go. Slotting the Taurus in the "tweener" size category is likely what lead to a lot of the compromises on it to begin with. With two separate vehicles you can cater to the needs of that size vehicle in much more detail instead of a "one-size-fits-all" sort of mentality.

Having been a Taurus owner, I feel that the Fusion is a good size but the 500 is ungainly and sort of monolithic. Yuk.
That's your opinion. Having been a Taurus/Sable owner since December of 1986, and having owned five of them, my all-wheel-drive Montego is a great step up from the Taurus.

And I don't think the Taurus name is worth much anymore. For all the bullshit posted here about how the name is so valuable, everyone seems to forget that the Taurus nameplate grew synonymous with "fleet queen". Ford was already selling over 40% of Taurus and Sable production to the fleets as far back as 1990. That did nothing to help residuals and resale value. Three of the five Taurus or Sable sedans I had were company cars, and they were not equipped the way I bought the other two (which was top-of-the-line models fully loaded). Everyone trashes the daily car rental sales, but at the same time turn a blind eye to Taurus GL and Sable GS company cars dumped on the market every two to three years at a selling price of Dealer Cost, less a $1000 fleet discount, less 20% depreciation for each year in service. I had the opportunity to buy any one of my company cars (which had stickers of $15,000 to $18,000) used, for less than $6500. That's crappy resale value, and that's what the Taurus nameplate grew to be. That was the main reason for dumping the name.

That's your opinion. Having been a Taurus/Sable owner since December of 1986, and having owned five of them, my all-wheel-drive Montego is a great step up from the Taurus.

And I don't think the Taurus name is worth much anymore. For all the bullshit posted here about how the name is so valuable, everyone seems to forget that the Taurus nameplate grew synonymous with "fleet queen". Ford was already selling over 40% of Taurus and Sable production to the fleets as far back as 1990. That did nothing to help residuals and resale value. Three of the five Taurus or Sable sedans I had were company cars, and they were not equipped the way I bought the other two (which was top-of-the-line models fully loaded). Everyone trashes the daily car rental sales, but at the same time turn a blind eye to Taurus GL and Sable GS company cars dumped on the market every two to three years at a selling price of Dealer Cost, less a $1000 fleet discount, less 20% depreciation for each year in service. I had the opportunity to buy any one of my company cars (which had stickers of $15,000 to $18,000) used, for less than $6500. That's crappy resale value, and that's what the Taurus nameplate grew to be. That was the main reason for dumping the name.

Let's quote you"That's your opinon." Damn right. And your opinon is the end-all see-all know-all drop dead end of the subject? Are you the ultimate omniscient authority on this subject? The Taurus name was allowed to rot on the vine by the company. That's not MY opinon, that is a fact. You sound like one of those people who abhor tradition and lack respect for something that's been around. The words written on this site have made the point for and/or against the subject. That should not make it personal. You feel you have the right to supress my opinon? Forget it.

Let's quote you"That's your opinon." Damn right. And your opinon is the end-all see-all know-all drop dead end of the subject? Are you the ultimate omniscient authority on this subject? The Taurus name was allowed to rot on the vine by the company. That's not MY opinon, that is a fact. You sound like one of those people who abhor tradition and lack respect for something that's been around. The words written on this site have made the point for and/or against the subject. That should not make it personal. You feel you have the right to supress my opinon? Forget it.

I'm not trying to suppress any one's opinions. Taurus has had the reputation, and it's very deserved, of being a fleet queen. I don't abhor tradition, but as you pointed out, Ford allowed the Taurus brand to rot on the vine. It's brand name value now is zero, as evidenced by it's poor resale values. With the huge amount of fleet sales killing it's resale value, it's impossible to boost them, short of dropping the name all together. It's what lead GM to drop the Century brand name at Buick and Chrysler to drop the Intrepid name at Dodge.

From Automotive News this morning, looks like Mullaly will get his way:

Report: Ford set to put Taurus name on Five Hundred sedan

Automotive News | 7:00 am, February 6, 2007

NEW YORK (Reuters) -- Ford Motor Co. is planning to announce that its Five Hundred sedan will be renamed the Taurus, Dow Jones Newswires reported.

The news wire said Ford executives would announce the plan on Wednesday, Feb. 7, at the Chicago auto show.

No Ford spokesman was immediately available to comment.

The Taurus nameplate is a Ford icon. It first appeared in December 1985 as a 1986 model and fueled a sales revival at the automaker. The Taurus reigned as the top-selling car in the United States from 1992 through 1996, but gave up that title to the Toyota Camry. Sales continued to fall in following years. In 2006, Ford built the Taurus solely for use in fleets. Production was ended in October.

Edited by Len_A

I'm not entirely sold on reviving the Taurus name yet, but I'll give it to Mullaly. He looks like he's out there to GET THINGS DONE! Finally, a Bold Move.

I'm not the least bit sold on reviving the Taurus name, nor do I think this is such a "Bold" move. I am one Ford car owner who doesn't believe there much brand equity on the Taurus name. To me, it's still synonymous with too many fleet sales and large depreciation. I hope that I'm proven wrong, but I don't see this as attracting Toyota and Honda buyers back to Ford, and ultimately that's what it's going to take to turn things around for Ford.

I'm not the least bit sold on reviving the Taurus name, nor do I think this is such a "Bold" move. I am one Ford car owner who doesn't believe there much brand equity on the Taurus name. To me, it's still synonymous with too many fleet sales and large depreciation. I hope that I'm proven wrong, but I don't see this as attracting Toyota and Honda buyers back to Ford, and ultimately that's what it's going to take to turn things around for Ford.

I don't think they really need to lure Toyota and Honda buyers back to make it a success. Or at least not Toyota and Honda buyers who have only bought Toyotas and Hondas. They just need to lure back previous Taurus retail buyers who had abandoned the brand for other makes. That could definitely be possible.

I don't think they really need to lure Toyota and Honda buyers back to make it a success. Or at least not Toyota and Honda buyers who have only bought Toyotas and Hondas. They just need to lure back previous Taurus retail buyers who had abandoned the brand for other makes. That could definitely be possible.
And in the process offend all the current Five Hundred/Montego owners who tried the car out as soon as it came out. Go to the MyFord500.com web site and see the reactions among current Five Hundred owners. The majority feel insulted.

And in the process offend all the current Five Hundred/Montego owners who tried the car out as soon as it came out. Go to the MyFord500.com web site and see the reactions among current Five Hundred owners. The majority feel insulted.

Frankly, there aren't enough Five Hundred owners out there for Ford to care if they offend them. They should be more concerned about the millions of Taurus owners who felt offended and abandoned by the way Ford handled the vehicle they loved so much.

Maybe Ford could offer the Five Hundred owners a gift certificate or discount if they ever decide to trade in for a Taurus.

Frankly, there aren't enough Five Hundred owners out there for Ford to care if they offend them. They should be more concerned about the millions of Taurus owners who felt offended and abandoned by the way Ford handled the vehicle they loved so much.

Maybe Ford could offer the Five Hundred owners a gift certificate or discount if they ever decide to trade in for a Taurus.

As a former Ford Taurus owner who was one of the first to jump at owning one of the D3's, I say screw an discount. And considering that 60% of Taurus production, from 1999 to 2005, went to fleet sales, I would say that most of those "millions of Taurus owners" fled the Taurus long before it was designated fleet sales only and then canceled.

As a former Ford Taurus owner who was one of the first to jump at owning one of the D3's, I say screw an discount. And considering that 60% of Taurus production, from 1999 to 2005, went to fleet sales, I would say that most of those "millions of Taurus owners" fled the Taurus long before it was designated fleet sales only and then canceled.

Well, they sold 7 million of them total over the past 21 years, so I'd still say it's safe to say that several million of them were retail customers. If they could get even a fraction of them to look at the Taurus again it would be a win for Ford.

Not sure if I agree with that part of the equation. Montego is actually a very nice name. It has an elegance about it and has history within the brand as well. Five Hundred was always a bit awkward.
Actually, Five Hundred was supposed to draw on the heritage of the Fairlane 500 and the Galaxy 500, and if you go back and read the statements made by Ford at the time the Five Hundred was previewed, that's what they promoted. In fact, "Heritage" was supposed to be one of the product development teams put together somewhere around the 2001 to 2003 time frame, supposedly to protect and promote those names with Ford heritage to them, like Mustang and Thunderbird. At that time, Five Hundred was supposed to be a part of that, but after what happened with the Thunderbird, this horse shit doesn't surprise me. In fact, Ford continues to disappointment me. Edited by Len_A

Actually, Five Hundred was supposed to draw on the heritage of the Fairlane 500 and the Galaxy 500, and if you go back and read the statements made by Ford at the time the Five Hundred was previewed, that's what they promoted. In fact, "Heritage" was supposed to be one of the product development teams put together somewhere around the 2001 to 2003 time frame, supposedly to protect and promote those names with Ford heritage to them, like Mustang and Thunderbird. At that time, Five Hundred was supposed to be a part of that, but after what happened with the Thunderbird, this horse shit doesn't surprise me. In fact, Ford continues to disappointment me.

Well I know what it was SUPPOSED to do, but it just didn't work.

Well I know what it was SUPPOSED to do, but it just didn't work.
And Mulally's brilliant idea is to resurrect the brand name of a fleet queen? Some "flagship". While I truely hope I'm wrong, and that this stunt works (and it is a stunt, nothing more), twenty-five years of marketing and sales experience don't encourage a lot of faith in this. Not at all.

And Mulally's brilliant idea is to resurrect the brand name of a fleet queen? Some "flagship". While I truely hope I'm wrong, and that this stunt works (and it is a stunt, nothing more), twenty-five years of marketing and sales experience don't encourage a lot of faith in this. Not at all.

Well look at it as a test to see if Ford can fix a tarnished nameplate instead of canning it.

Well look at it as a test to see if Ford can fix a tarnished nameplate instead of canning it.
Let's hope so. In the meantime, a lot of current D3 owners feel our cars have been orphaned, and we ain't happy with the blithering idiots in Ford management.

Let's hope so. In the meantime, a lot of current D3 owners feel our cars have been orphaned, and we ain't happy with the blithering idiots in Ford management.

Welcome to the world of the Ford Panther platform owner - and the E-series van owner, and the Ranger owner, etc.

There is a reason Ford has lost market share for 11 straight years.