Contract Awarded on Ford Fusion Hybrid

range

"Wire harness giant Yazaki North America Inc. said it landed the contract to supply high voltage connections and wiring to the 2009 Ford Fusion Hybrid.

Yazaki has been a longtime Ford wiring supplier. It worked on the 2006 Ford Fusion and the Ford Escape Hybrid. Yazaki also has supplied the Ford F-150 pickup. Yazaki announced the contract Monday."

Looks like the Fusion refresh will launch next year.

Edited by range

That's good news. Let's hope that they make the Hybrid model distinctive from the gas models. People who buy Hybrids want everyone to know it.

I heard that. GM goes low-key with theirs and no one gives a shit despite them doing just as well with mileage in non-specific applications (like, mass-market instead of a specialized car like the Prius) as the imports.

Jesus man. 2009 now? Haven't we been hearing 2008 as the hybrid intro for as long as we've basically been hearing about the Fusion itself? Why is it taking Ford this long? The hybrid Escape has been on the market since 2005. We can assume it took 2-3 years to develop. So, why the hell weren't they working on some other hybrid model in the meantime? Ford was the first domestic automaker with a hybrid and the third automaker overall, yet they have no CAR HYBRID. That makes zero sense. By 2009 they're going to look like they're playing catch-up again even though they were practially leading in some sense for a little while. Has there been a single worthwhile decision made over the past 5-6 years? I just keep getting more and more frustrated the more press releases I hear. I kept waiting for a diesel in the F150, but now 2009. Hybrid Fusion? 2009. 6-spd auto for the F-150? 2009. Anything better than a 4-spd auto for the Escape? Who knows when. Focus? Who knows when. I know they had to make cuts over the past few years, but it seems like they made all the wrong ones. Now their product is showing how deep those cuts were.

I heard that. GM goes low-key with theirs and no one gives a shit despite them doing just as well with mileage in non-specific applications (like, mass-market instead of a specialized car like the Prius) as the imports.

The Hybrids sell at a premium, many at far more than they will save in fuel cost. The Prius was perfectly marketed as a distinct model from the rest of the Toyota line. It let the buyers make a statement "Look at me I'm driving a Hybrid" as well as Toyota "Look at us, we make a Hybrid".

It is as much a part of the game now as spoilers, scoops and stripes were in the late '60's early '70s. You could get the same big block power in a stripper as in a GTO/GTX/ Trans Am/Mach 1, etc. the point was to get noticed and it still is. Instead of muscle car macho its South Park Smug.

What Hybrid does GM make beside the Saturn?

Edited by Mark B. Morrow

GM, I believe, has a mild hybrid Sierra/Silverado as well as their Green Line products.

As for the Fusion Hybrid, remember, its not getting the same EXACT hybrid setup that's in the Escape. Its getting the GEN2 powerpack. That powerpack still uses the 2.3L Duratec I4 and a generator/motor with battery setup, but the control systems are updated, the overall efficiency of the packs is slightly up, and the thing is more compact and modular.

Gm has a mild hybrid Vue and Aura. They will have the 2MODE hybris in the SUV's and Trucks starting this fall, and mild hybrid in the Malibu next year.

The 08 Vue will come as full hybrid in 2009 as 2010 model and as a Plug-in-hybrid some time after that.

The Mild hybrids are quite a disappointment. They cost mere $2k less than comparable full hybrids, yet deliver mileage simply on par with other non-hybrid I4 engines ... I think the Fusion Hybrid ( if done right) will run circles around the Malibu and Aura hybrids.

Igor

GM's Gen 1 hybrid powertrain uses a regular 4 speed auto to keep costs down. Ford and everyone else that isn't using the GM design uses a CVT with their hybrids. That's I think the biggest factor for their underperformance. With six speed autos becoming the norm, though, I think that the gap between CVTs and regular automatics with respect to fuel efficiency will continue to shrink. Remember, VCT broadens the "sweet spot" in the RPM range where the engine is most efficient for the power needs of the moment. CVTs try to keep the engine planted in that sweet spot, which works great for non VCT engines (the duratec in the 500 and freestyle for one). CVTs would have been great if they had been perfected 20 years ago, before the advent of VCT. Now, they're a little late to thep arty and don't make major contributions to the conversation, and are still a bit torque limited.

GM's Gen 1 hybrid powertrain uses a regular 4 speed auto to keep costs down. Ford and everyone else that isn't using the GM design uses a CVT with their hybrids. That's I think the biggest factor for their underperformance. With six speed autos becoming the norm, though, I think that the gap between CVTs and regular automatics with respect to fuel efficiency will continue to shrink. Remember, VCT broadens the "sweet spot" in the RPM range where the engine is most efficient for the power needs of the moment. CVTs try to keep the engine planted in that sweet spot, which works great for non VCT engines (the duratec in the 500 and freestyle for one). CVTs would have been great if they had been perfected 20 years ago, before the advent of VCT. Now, they're a little late to thep arty and don't make major contributions to the conversation, and are still a bit torque limited.

actually the CVT is only small part of the equation ..

the GM BAS hybrid system is so weak because IT IS INCAPABLE OF POWERING THE CAR ON ITS OWN - there is no instance where GM BAS allows the electric engine to power the whole car .. the electric motor simply adds a little boost to the ICE when accelerating - both from standstill and at speeds .. This preserves the usual lower MPG in the City and higher on highway relationship, and raises both (unlike full hybrids that usually have very little effect on HWY MPG).

However, GM has been given a lot of slack, because the BAS in most instances, simply manages to erase the lacking MPG of GM's engines compared to the like of Toyota and Honda engines. Meaning that a person can walk into Toyota or Honda dealer, and buy a Camry/Accord with 4bangerfor a low price, and they would get the same mileage as the Aura Green Line.

Igor