Well Here is the Official January Sales Report

Well the Mustang II proves that wrong as well as the 1971 Mustang.

Didn't I say not to mention the Mustang II? :lol:

Anyway, the Mustang II was apparently what the market wanted, as it sold EXTREMELY well its first couple of years. The 71 Mustang sold pretty well also even after growing significantly.

As for the 99-04's, I'm not a huge fan of the designs either compared to the 94-98's, but again, they still sold extremely well.

So while your personal tastes in some of the Mustang refreshes or redesigns may not be the best, they were apparently right for the market at the time.

I don't see Ford missing the target with the '09 either. And it should offer new engines: at least a likely N/A DOHC 5.4. We'll also likely be getting the addition of another engine (maybe the 5.4) with the '08 Bullitt.

The interior should be refreshed as well, along with the new corporate HVAC/audio controls and Sync as an option. I'd also expect a bump in power from the 4.6 3-valve in addition to possible replacement of the 4.0 SOHC with the Duratec 35.

It's not going to be "just a new nose".

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ford is #4. Outsold by DCX.

"Toyota Motor Corp. said Thursday its January U.S. sales rose 9.5 percent to again surpass the monthly sales of Ford Motor Co., which saw its sales drop 19 percent.

DaimlerChrysler AG's sales rose 3.2 percent compared with January 2006, also topping Ford's sales for the month."

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070201/auto_sales.html?.v=5

Well if Ford is that concerned with being Number #4 maybe they should start fleet dumping again.

Ford would look much more successful with bigger sales volumes.

Well if Ford is that concerned with being Number #4 maybe they should start fleet dumping again.

Ford would look much more successful with bigger sales volumes.

Hopefully they aren't concerned with their rank at all. They need to worry about profits. Fleet dumping isn't the answer. It may please the analysts but it won't do a thing for the bottom line.

Also of interest: GM SALES DOWN 19.7% in January - Link to forum

There is good and bad in here from what I can tell.

First the good:

Fusion/Milan/MKZ - Fusion and Milan up absolutely, MKZ probably up retail. The Zephyr was sold heavily to rentals last year in the first few months, so a drop is expected.

Edge/MKX - Decent numbers for a first full-month. I am interested in March. I think that will be the telltale month (initial orders delivered, excitement settled, verbal response from consumers, etc)

Expedition/Navigator - Sales up with supposed fleet drop and minimal incentives compared to last year

Econoline? - wtf? the van that saved Ford?

The questionable:

Escape - retails up and fleet sales axed, but a little late to help the outgoing model. Hopefully it has a successful launch next month.

F-series - the new Silverado didn't look to have much success either, although it looks flat as opposed to down. If the F-series' decline was a segment thing, then this result is acceptable. Again, I'm looking to March when the Super Duty is in full swing to see if that helps buoy sales a little.

Mustang - I actually think the numbers are better than they suggest. Mustangs are extemely popular with daily rentals. If you can keep them out of the rental lots, though, the better you regulate their resale and image.

Focus - Well, it's not great, but if, in fact, a huge chunk of fleet sales are gone, these aren't terrible numbers. It's an old design, and the new one looks to be a good effort (if not the C1). I think Ford would do better in sales for the rest of the model year if they would try lowering MSRP by $1000-1500 up the line and lower the rebates a bit. People often are not aware of the full impact of rebates when they research, but they see the price. I bet they're wishing they had the 2008 Focus in the spring now.

The bad:

The D3s - I mean, they were bad last year too. Nothing has changed really except that Ford stopped shipping them directly to Hertz and all but stopped speaking their names in public. However, I am not convinced that this new nose/engine job will be enough to keep them selling without a concerted marketing campaign to build awareness. And not just the chinsey ad of a car driving around with smiling people - I'm talking luxury, upscale this is car is one with you or your personal sanctuary type ads. They are not bad cars currently. They will be better cars in May/June. They are competitive in their class. They are not the most attractive vehicles, but neither is anything else (save the 300C, and even that is dying slowly) in their class.

The Explorer - how the mighty have fallen. Although, admittedly, I haven't seen advertisements recently. If you stop advertising, they stop buying. I'm afraid it is the truth.

The Ranger - just shoot it and put it out of its misery. I don't even know what to do here.

Overall, I'm pleased with the drop in rental fleet sales. If I remember correctly, last year something like 30-35% of January sales were fleet and the majority of those rental. Well, if that's true, we're down to like 10-15% daily rental, which is a great target range for long-term brand and product viability without losing some buffer and honest sales that come with a controlled fleet mix.

Also, it looks like the new models are holding their own. Fusion's sales are probably better than they look (decline in fleet versus a year ago) and Edge isn't doing too badly. The Mustang looks stable at the retail level so far. The Expedition and Navigator are doing better than I expected. The new Super Duty, Escape and D3s are set to be launched in the next six months, which should stablize or give a slight boost there. I wish they could pull the Focus ahead by three months or so, but we'll have to live with what we got and the trickle of sales it will provide until then.

I think, based on only a 5% retail decline and new products on the horizon, that Ford will see flat retail sales this year (maybe a little up depending on Escape/Super Duty reception), which is the best we can ask for right now.

The Explorer - how the mighty have fallen. Although, admittedly, I haven't seen advertisements recently. If you stop advertising, they stop buying. I'm afraid it is the truth.

To be fair...the Explorer has a LOT to compete against these days (in the same showroom for that matter)....Freestyle....Edge...Escape....all new Expedition. This isn't like the days when the Explorer was THE SUV from Ford.

F-series - the new Silverado didn't look to have much success either, although it looks flat as opposed to down. If the F-series' decline was a segment thing, then this result is acceptable.

Silverado was down 3.3% on a sales-day adjusted basis. Not too great for a "hot new product". I think the entire segment is still adjusting to the upswing in fuel prices.

and don't forget... the fleet companies didn't stop buying because ford stopped making the taurus... that would explain the increase for toyota and DCX

thats what i was thinking, since DCX sold like 170k or so, almost more than toyota... i was like whoa!

44k for F series - chevy CK is 38k... 52k with GMC..

Toyota sold 31k damn camrys! my god!

You would think someday that people would get tired of owning the same car that everyone else has, but with the Camry this doesn't seem to effect it at all. In 2-3 years we could see the Camry selling at 50K units a month if this trend holds. I never thought a car like the Camry was that exciting, but I guess people are just NUTS about it!

Usually a fad like this will go out of style, but when it comes to Toyota I am not so sure that will ever happen.

and don't forget... the fleet companies didn't stop buying because ford stopped making the taurus... that would explain the increase for toyota and DCX

So does this mean all of DCX's problems are behind them now? Seems like all of the inventory should be sold up now at those sales rates.

Edited by 2005Explorer

The Fusion barely sold 10,000 units? Am I reading this correctly? :o

What a flop. :poke:

Yeah...my parents just bought one...they LOVE it, but I guess for some reason it has become a sales disaster... Unreliable? Poor fit and finish? Poor handling? Slow? I am not sure but for some reason this car seems great when you own one, but for people looking at them it is very unattractive.

Yeah...my parents just bought one...they LOVE it, but I guess for some reason it has become a sales disaster... Unreliable? Poor fit and finish? Poor handling? Slow? I am not sure but for some reason this car seems great when you own one, but for people looking at them it is very unattractive.

It's more a problem with perception and marketing. Ford's marketing sucks. Everybody thinks Fords suck. Why are they even going to look at it, even if it's a good car? It could be the best sedan on the market and I doubt its sales would be much better. It's going to take time and continuous improvement to get the Fusion anywhere.

As sorry as the rest of Ford's car sales were this month though, it's good to see that the Fusion was their best-selling car this month.

44k for F series - chevy CK is 38k... 52k with GMC..

Toyota sold 31k damn camrys! my god!

The other thing is ford stopped Superduty production..F250, 350, 450 etc, std cab crewcab supercab, 2wd, 4wd, gas/ diesel...the WHOLE caboodle in March!!!!!! Had demand but could NOT supply product...ver annoying but part of the reason for the seemingly lowish #'s....

But who bought them? As I noted in your thread in the Competition forum. Chrysler didn't comment on how much it had lowered its fleet sales compared to GM and Ford. I suspect it was far less.

So are you saying Ford is using this strategy to produce a big profit and Chrysler will post a big loss due to these fleet sales you suspect?

It is when it's best month was 15,000. ;)

If Ford wanted to sell 15k Fusions every month, you would've heard Ford people saying over and over, "Our sales target is 180k Fusions"

You never, ever, ever, ever heard that.

The Fusion is meeting Ford's internal sales targets, which renders any discussion of it's 'failure' completely irrelevant.

It's more a problem with perception and marketing. Ford's marketing sucks. Everybody thinks Fords suck. Why are they even going to look at it, even if it's a good car? It could be the best sedan on the market and I doubt its sales would be much better. It's going to take time and continuous improvement to get the Fusion anywhere.

As sorry as the rest of Ford's car sales were this month though, it's good to see that the Fusion was their best-selling car this month.

Wow! coming from you "Everybody thinks Fords suck"..... ha ha ha ha! You said it..... and it's soooooooooo true!

anyone have a page, where i can see the totals of vehicles sold, i see GMs, but cant find others..

Fusion outsold the malibu, and was 1400 behind the G6, its main GM counterparts.. not bad...

that 31k number of camrys is just mind boggling imho...

Pioneer, i know you dont like the fusion because it killed your beloved taurus, but the fusion is many times better than the taurus ever was... head to head the fusion compares very well with all its competitors... i see the impala sold 25k, but i bet at least half of those were fleet sales...

Edited by MGallun

I guess when you fail to engineer a competitive product for a segment, and refuse to advertise such product, internal sales numbers must have to be set low. Thank you for explaining it to me.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

If the vehicle's on target, it must be that Ford screwed up when they set the target.

Yeah.

I see. Either Ford screwed up setting the target, or the vehicle is missing the target.

It couldn't possibly be that this vehicle was programmed to pay for itself and turn a profit at 130k units a year.

No.

That would be silly.