8000 hourly gone in January

http://money.cnn.com/2007/02/07/news/compa...sion=2007020707

Ford says 8,000 workers left in January

Auto manufacturer says hourly employees accepted buyout offers; executive says restructuring of company is 'on track and on time.'

February 7 2007: 7:41 AM EST

CHICAGO (Reuters) -- About 8,000 U.S. hourly workers left struggling automaker Ford Motor Co. in January after taking buyout offers, said Mark Fields, president of the Americas and overseer of Ford's restructuring.

"We've had a number of folks, upwards of 8,000 actually, hourly workers who have left the company in January and the transition in the plants is going very smoothly," Fields told reporters at a dinner ahead of the Chicago Auto Show.

Igor

haha, so how much of these are still there? 39K + 8K = 47K left the building, 23K left.

Tick Tock Tick Tock, UAW.

no these are the first 8 of the 36k announced in the fall .. Ford has 3 or so waves planned for the actual departures .. the 36k number simply says how many people signed up for it .. they have not actually left yet. The 8k are the first to actually leave.

Igor

Quite possible.

I'm not against the workers. Just the unions. I'd be more than happy if Ford could hire them all back without the UAW involved.

Nick, Whats hurting Ford more in your opinion?. The UAW, Or Georges love for increasing healthcare costs and all of the other lovely things mentioned in the "Town Hall" broadcast?

Nick, Whats hurting Ford more in your opinion?. The UAW, Or Georges love for increasing healthcare costs and all of the other lovely things mentioned in the "Town Hall" broadcast?

Well, I don't see health care costs driving mostly non-union companies to multi-billion dollar losses. They are both certainly of concern, but Ford really doesn't have a way to change health care costs. They will increase no matter what Ford does and it's an issue that ALL companies are facing, union or not. Ford DOES however have the ability to stiff-arm the UAW if they actually had the guts.

Well, we'll say they build a lot of cool stuff for the military, and we'll leave it at that. :)

Your such an assclown. How can you compare a government job (during a fucking WAR even!) to an auto manufacturer....

This explains to me why you post the remarks that you do, Pertaining our union.

Your such an assclown. How can you compare a government job (during a fucking WAR even!) to an auto manufacturer....

This explains to me why you post the remarks that you do, Pertaining our union.

1. It's not a government job. We are a publicly traded company.

2. We been profitable for decades, wars or not. Business is business. You adapt to market conditions, something Ford has been inept at doing.