The Chrysler scenarios begin

Mark B. Morrow

Ford should go after Jeep and nothing else. Although, right now that seems impracticle but should Ford's manangement become increasingly decisive over the next few years. They would be able to position Jeep appropriately along side Land Rover. I believe Jeep would also serve as a good brand to debut "experimentally" efficient powertrains, whereas you can't do that with Land Rover's premium nor with the transparency of Lincoln and Mercury.

I can't see Toyota buying Chrysler, unless it is trying to build "goodwill" by saving an American icon from oblivion (or the Chinese). Toyota (like Honda) prefers to grow from within.

GM is hardly out of the woods yet...and buying Chrysler would add a layer of problems to its already existing problems.

Ford is in worse shape than GM, but even it weren't, it doesn't need Jeep. Ford would be better off spending money to bring out the little Bronco concept as opposed to buying Jeep. With all that Ford has on its plate, the last thing it needs to worry about is integrating another company into its corporate structure.

I can see Hyundai making a deal to get the dealer body, Jeep, the minivans, the V-8, the pickups and possibly the Chrysler nameplate. But I can't see Hyundai needing the Dodge nameplate, all of the plants or the UAW obligations.

I see the Chinese being VERY interested in Chrysler. It would give them a foot in the market much quicker then trying to establish their own brands. However, what would remain to be seen is US customers reaction to such a purchase. Would it throw the remaining loyal domestic auto buyers to GM and Ford or would they look the other way and purchase from a Chinese owned Chrysler Group?

I see the Chinese being VERY interested in Chrysler. It would give them a foot in the market much quicker then trying to establish their own brands. However, what would remain to be seen is US customers reaction to such a purchase. Would it throw the remaining loyal domestic auto buyers to GM and Ford or would they look the other way and purchase from a Chinese owned Chrysler Group?

Great question.

I think a Chinese owner Chrysler could fool a lot of the public into thinking they are still buying domestic.

It also would be a wake-up call to go "pro-American" if some upstart Chinese company owned Dodge, Jeep (!) and other brands. We accepted DaimlerChrysler because Mercedes was established and it was a European company -- Europeans are "white," so most of the white American population is cool with it. Bring in a non-established company from an Asian country -- Japan and Korea already brought bad feelings when they took over our country -- and people might take notice.

If they don't, the American buyer is more apathetic than I thought.

The Chinese bought MG...

Ford should go after Jeep and nothing else. Although, right now that seems impracticle but should Ford's manangement become increasingly decisive over the next few years. They would be able to position Jeep appropriately along side Land Rover. I believe Jeep would also serve as a good brand to debut "experimentally" efficient powertrains, whereas you can't do that with Land Rover's premium nor with the transparency of Lincoln and Mercury.

No don't do it! Ford should simply use Land Rover hand me downs to take on Jeep. Land Rover is invincible at the moment at the top end, Volvo and Cadilac are covering the mid end, Ford can cover the lower end.

In Europe Jeep always used to be regarded as a competitor to Land Rover because of the way they were priced over here. But Land Rover has really hamered all the nails into Jeeps coffin in Europe as the product is about a billion times better. SUV's from Volvo and BMW haven't helped either.

Personally I think Renault/ Nissan will attempt to buy it.