Wha? Buick dealers don't want a RWD vehicle

jpd80

Wha? Buick dealers don't want a RWD vehicle

06wmstatesman_034.jpg2745288863.jpg

Buick dealers were reportedly shown a long-wheelbase, rear-wheel drive Holden Statesman that will be sold in China next year and asked if they would like a version to sell in the U.S. market. Surprisingly, at least to us, they turned down Rick Wagoner's offer of a rear-wheel drive Buick, citing concerns that such a vehicle would cannibalize sales of the front-wheel drive Lucerne. Both vehicles are about the same size and each would be available with a V6 and V8 engine.

Perhaps we're just so starved for some more rear-wheel drive romping that we balk at the idea of any brand turning down a rwd product when offered. Sure, we can see the other side of the coin. The Lucern did sell just short of 100,000 units last year, which isn't shabby. While that number could go down were the Statesman introduced here badged as a Buick, we would guess the combined sales of two large sedans targeting different types of buyers would easily eclipse six figures. The Ricker agrees with us, and thus he is reportedly leaving the proposal on the table for now.

Ooooooooooo!!! Bob Lutz won't be very happy, Holden is his golden haired child. Everyone loves RWD you know.

Wait for the top down edict.

Edited by jpd80

The thing is GM doesn't need to give every brand a version of the same vehicle. Let Caddy have the RWD sporty luxury cars to try and compete with MB and BMW, let Buick have FWD near-luxury cars to compete with the high-selling Lexus models, and let Pontiac have a little of both to be the Mazda-like division. GM's problem in the past was they always felt obligate to give every brand a clone of the same vehicle and look where that got them. I think the Buick dealers are right - it makes no sense to sell both that RWD vehicle and the Lucerne at the same time. Maybe someday they turn the Lucerne RWD, but don't sell them side-by-side.

The rumor I heard awhile back was that the Lucerne would move to the Zeta chassis and be RWD. Guess that's not the case. Bummer for the Buick crowd.

yes .. I believe this was offered as a "stop gap" until then ... i.e. "Look we can give you this car with buick logo this fall.. you wanna"?

Igor

Not that anyone is implying this, but not every brand is suitable for a rear wheel drive sedan. Buick is not known for high performance sedans thus the need for RWD is null, as it is usually associated with high performance.

Why bother?

They haven't been known for performance LATELY. Certainly you remember the GS and Grand National -- you know, back when owning a Buick was actually worthwhile.

They haven't been known for performance LATELY. Certainly you remember the GS and Grand National -- you know, back when owning a Buick was actually worthwhile.

I remember those. My buddy's dad owned one, and it was awesome when he would take us out in that thing. I actually wanted to own one of those.........

Now Buick stands for portholes and quiet tuning. Nothing wrong with it, but not my cup of tea. GM has done right by the brand (even though I may not like it) in marketing it to a crowd that doesn't want a Chevy but feels that a Cadillac is a bit much.

Could the reason be that they are already getting the RWD G8? Fewer and fewer stand alone Buick dealers every month, as most are going in with Pontiac and GMC. They do not need this particular version now, as it probably would not increase sales, but rather spread them out.

It would make no sense, as it would steal Cadillac sales. Just my opinion.

I would take a large RWD over a large FWD anyway.

WHy would Buick Dealerships give two craps about taking sales away from Cadillac.

Buick is about to become a lost hope and if GM listens to these dealerships(who clearly aren't too bright) then they mine as well shut Buick down. Becuase the current line up of crap is a pathetic joke at best. The Enclave will be the only Buick worth anyones money.

Could the reason be that they are already getting the RWD G8? Fewer and fewer stand alone Buick dealers every month, as most are going in with Pontiac and GMC. They do not need this particular version now, as it probably would not increase sales, but rather spread them out.

I disagree, It would increase sales. Buick and Pontiac have two totally different images(Except for the fact that they are both crap) and the RWD Buick would bring in buyers that wouldn't go for the G8, kind of like the Charger and the 300, the 300 didn't dwindle much at all when the charger was released.

The thing is GM doesn't need to give every brand a version of the same vehicle. Let Caddy have the RWD sporty luxury cars to try and compete with MB and BMW, let Buick have FWD near-luxury cars to compete with the high-selling Lexus models, and let Pontiac have a little of both to be the Mazda-like division. GM's problem in the past was they always felt obligate to give every brand a clone of the same vehicle and look where that got them. I think the Buick dealers are right - it makes no sense to sell both that RWD vehicle and the Lucerne at the same time. Maybe someday they turn the Lucerne RWD, but don't sell them side-by-side.

The thing about the Buick (nee Holden) Statesmen is that it is a larger car with a longer wheelbase than the Commodore/G8 so it's a variation that could be slotted in GM's lineup. I say if Buick doesn't want it give it to Saturn.

2745288863.jpg

So this is basically what they turned down.

The reason the deal stays on the table is because Holden will sell these in China

badged as Buick Royaum irrespective of the Buick USA decision.

i think its a good looking car. id prefer the Commadore dressed up with a turbo Inline 6, blacked out and called a Grand National. Hey, i know its a Ford forum, but i want a midsized turbo car that i can buy new. The Falcon XR6 would be perfect, but if Ford wont do it...

2745288863.jpg

So this is basically what they turned down.

The reason the deal stays on the table is because Holden will sell these in China

badged as Buick Royaum irrespective of the Buick USA decision.

Is it just me... or does it look like the 5th Generation Sable? and I thought Toyota lacked imagination... This is damn near a carbon copy.

Still damn sexy!

Well at least in China they love Buicks so much that they will buy anything with a Buick nameplate... That's something people in the US can't say about Ford right now. I think it's kind of interesting of all nameplates in the world, the Chinese like Buick.

In the US, the only car Buick needs is a Lucurne. It's a car aimed squarely at elderly people buying their last new car in life...

For GM it's going to end up like the 1950's where they have one representitive model for each division, maybe with trim level variations.

Mind you, this is all about Holden drought proofing domestic sales and guaranteeing continued Australian production.

Aussie sales of the Commodore, Statesman/Caprice and Utility last year were about 77,000 so having someone in the USA and Arab Emirates buy 50,000 re badged Commodores and 30,000 Statesman/Caprices is as good as it gets. The fact that Americans like them as well helps no end.

As a Ford Fan from down under, it's getting a bit hard working with these smart Alec Holden fans all the while Ford remains silent on the next Falcon. I guess we should be glad down here that we're a bit away of all the mess in North America.

Edited by jpd80

I understand That the Buick Lucerne is based around the Caddy DTS which is due for replacement. There's a strong rumor the DTS will go to Zeta platform, if so Buick may be forced to go with a Holden Zeta replacement. If that's the case, is Holden back in with a new Buick Park Avenue?

Edited by jpd80