Edge's Rocky Launch

ANTAUS

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Market in recession?

The market has been strong.

The Metro Detroit Market? The one with some of the HIGHEST foreclosure rates in the country. The region that is going to lose Pfizer and thousands of white collar employees from DCX? Yeah, that's a strong market!

$199 a month lease still doesn't justify that it is being discounted to all hell. First you need to come up with almost $2,000 out of pocket, oh and to qualify for the rebates listed you better be a recent college grad, a member of the American Quarterhorse something or the other, and be active millitary. Nevermind the fact that this is open to A/Z plan members only. Or the fact that you can walk into a BMW Dealer plunk down $3,000 and walk out the door with a $349/mo lease on a brand new 328i costing $34,000, which according to your logic is BMWs way of moving a slow selling and undesirable product.

Edited by Michael Reynolds

$199 per month lease.

I don't know if you've ever leased before, but I have.

I have not seen the ad that you refer to but let's assume for argument's sake that the actual ad is $199 a month for 24 months with $3G due at signing. That's a ballpark value for a vehicle of that type.

So $3000+(24x$199)=$7776. So they figure on a $30G vehicle that the resale value in two years will be $22,224.

A car that depreciates faster would have a higher monthly payment. For example, if they figured that in 2 years the car would be worth ie $17G, then the lease payments would be [30,000-($17000+$3000)]/24 =$416

And remember that these lease rates are offered to A/X planners. They've already got a discount so the real-world depreciation is even less.

Does that make it clearer?

Edited by OAC_Sparky

I don't know if you've ever leased before, but I have.

I have not seen the ad that you refer to but let's assume for argument's sake that the actual ad is $199 a month for 24 months with $3G due at signing. That's a ballpark value for a vehicle of that type.

So $3000+(24x$199)=$7776. So they figure on a $30G vehicle that the resale value in two years will be $22,224.

A car that depreciates faster would have a higher monthly payment. For example, if they figured that in 2 years the car would be worth ie $17G, then the lease payments would be [30,000-($17000+$3000)]/24 =$416

And remember that these lease rates are offered to A/X planners. They've already got a discount so the real-world depreciation is even less.

Does that make it clearer?

Clear as mud. Suppose you charged $299 per month for a hot new product. Wouldn't that be much better. And if the demand was there you could charge $299 and pay off some of that new flex tooling.

Don't you think that a supposedly hot vehicle which has been on the market only a couple months with a delayed botched launch should have a great demand and not require any sort of incentive to move off the lots. If the vehicle was moving there would be no need for cheap leases in the second month of sales.

Edited by Bluecon

If I was wrong, I would be man enough to admit it, but I'm not. ;)

A Jeep assembly plant is owned by Jeep, and staffed with Jeep workers.

A Supplier Park plant is a plant, on Jeep property, that is manned with workers that are NOT Jeep employees. A Wrangler may be a Jeep vehicle, built in a Jeep supplier park, but it is not assembled in a Jeep plant, nor by Jeep workers. It is assembled by a supplier, and then it is sent to the Toledo North plant for final trim by Jeep workers.

The Wrangler never enters Toledo North for any assembly or final trim. It is assembled at the Supplier park plant. I can't make it any simpler. Forrest Gump could figure this out.

"The Toledo area has benefited from two new assembly plants as well as new vehicles. Besides the Jeep Wrangler and Jeep Wrangler Unlimited production at the Toledo Supplier plant, production of Jeep Liberty at the Toledo North Assembly plant began when the plant opened in 2001. Production of the new 2007 Dodge Nitro began last month. The new Toledo Supplier Park replaces Chrysler Group's Parkway and Stickney assembly operations which have built Jeep brand vehicles since the 1940s."

"As part of Chrysler Group’s innovative manufacturing project in Toledo, three supplier partners will manage and operate major parts of the vehicle production process from neighboring facilities within the Toledo plant footprint. While the KUKA Group is responsible for building bodies for the all-new 2007 Jeep Wrangler and Wrangler Unlimited, Magna Steyr will run the paint shop and Hyundai Mobis-owned Ohio Module Manufacturing Company (OMMC) will assemble the vehicle’s chassis. Chrysler Group has the responsibility for the final trim and assembly operations of the plant. All four facilities were completed earlier this year and have been producing pilot parts since April."

"The TSP location is 2.0 million square feet with 1,400 employees while the Toledo North Assembly Plant is 2.10 million square feet and has more than 2,700 employees. Employees at both plants are represented by United Auto Workers Local 12."

http://www.rockcrawler.com/features/newssh...st/jk_plant.asp

Edited by Bluecon

Whatever. You keep reading your articles, I'll keep driving by that plant site and talk to people that actually work inside of it.

You think they make the Body on frame Wranglers on the same line as the unibody Liberty/Nitro?

Have you ever seen a vehicle assembly line?

Edited by Bluecon

Yes, I have seen an assembly line.

No, the Wranglers and Liberty/Nitro are not produced on the same line. The Liberty/Nitro is produced in the Toledo North plant. The Wrangler/Unlimited is produced the in the Supplier Park.

Not to say that a BOF vehicle and a unitbody vehicle cannot be produced on the same line. SLAP and Wixom have done it before. ;)

It has been done.

The CAMI plant in Ingersoll, Ontario did it back in the late 80's early 90's.

As far as i know Wixom had seperate lines for the unuibody and BOF products. What did SLAP build on the same line?