Edge's Rocky Launch

ANTAUS

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if you read the article, you would see that Conrail is on strike, kind of hard to get the vehicles there without some form of transport!

I wonder how Toyota is transporting their vehicles? Or Honda, or GM, or Chrysler? I will give you a hint: trucks. Only Ford is shutting down plants.

Well if you read the article, you would see that Conrail is on strike, kind of hard to get the vehicles there without some form of transport!

CN not Conrail, but yes that is a huge problem, Ford as had to suspend production at St Thomas at points during the strike.

The railroad union is fighting with itself (there are 2 different factions) along with the company -- its a huge disaster.

I hope this is only temporary. I actually rode in an Edge to work the other day (I carpool).

Nice, nice, nice. :shades: If I was in that target market I would be going for one. Much better than the Pacifica, Equinox, etc. IMHO. Slightly lacking on the interior but a great ride.

I wonder how Toyota is transporting their vehicles? Or Honda, or GM, or Chrysler? I will give you a hint: trucks. Only Ford is shutting down plants.

It wasn't a vehicle transport issue, it was materials.

Why would they shut down a plant due to vehicles piling up when there are typically overflow lots to park them in?

I also did not see any reports where Honda or Toyota confirmed that this was not effecting then.

Sometimes I wonder why you even bother.

Not in my area. The lots are full of them. One dealer in Toledo has 23 of them.

Are you using the dealer online inventory? They show future vehicles they are getting in, not what they have in stock. I've seen this happen with the 05 Mustang, where they say they have a half dozen and they are lucky to have one in the lot.

The dealership about 10 minutes from me had 3, 2 Coffee Colored models (SEL and SE) and an Orange one. The Orange one moved right away...the other two are still there 2 weeks later..

It must be horrible having a half empty glass.......

I thought you would be busy helping with those hundreds of layoffs at OAC.

How come in the Windsor plants thousands of workers are layed off and none of the union reps lose there job?

Maybe that is why your glass is so full?

It wasn't a vehicle transport issue, it was materials.

Why would they shut down a plant due to vehicles piling up when there are typically overflow lots to park them in?

I also did not see any reports where Honda or Toyota confirmed that this was not effecting then.

Sometimes I wonder why you even bother.

So how are these other plants receiving there parts? Hint: Trucks. Most plants here no longer deliver parts directly by train to the plants.

So how are these other plants receiving there parts? Hint: Trucks. Most plants here no longer deliver parts directly by train to the plants.

Regardless, your post had to do with vehicle transport not inbound materials.

Having worked 5 years as a mainframe engineer for GM's Just-In-Time inventory system, GM receives quite a bit of materials via rail. I'd also like to point out that trucks can be just as troublesome as troublesome to use at times as rail can be.

Unless you know how much material is stockpiled at each automaker vs. what Ford does, how can you even comment on that. If ion hand inventory varied from plant-to-plant at GM, I would think it would be the same from automaker-to-automaker. So until you have first hand knowledge otherwise, you're statements can be considered false.

Regardless, your post had to do with vehicle transport not inbound materials.

I was of course responding to this. Please read the posts.

Quote Silvrsvt

Having worked 5 years as a mainframe engineer for GM's Just-In-Time inventory system, GM receives quite a bit of materials via rail. I'd also like to point out that trucks can be just as troublesome as troublesome to use at times as rail can be.

Unless you know how much material is stockpiled at each automaker vs. what Ford does, how can you even comment on that. If ion hand inventory varied from plant-to-plant at GM, I would think it would be the same from automaker-to-automaker. So until you have first hand knowledge otherwise, you're statements can be considered false.

Well I know the Chrysler plant in Windsor is having no problem receiving parts and they build more vehicles than St. Thomas and OAC together. The rail seems to be a unique problem to Ford.

Edited by Bluecon

I hope this is only temporary. I actually rode in an Edge to work the other day (I carpool).

Nice, nice, nice. :shades: If I was in that target market I would be going for one. Much better than the Pacifica, Equinox, etc. IMHO. Slightly lacking on the interior but a great ride.

The equinox is much much much cheaper with incentives than the edge, I know they are similar but I don't see them really competing. I see the Murano as its only real competition in its segment.

But, given size classes, interior space, and value, the equinox will be cross shopped against the edge to a certain extent. What the edge will have over the equinox is a much better motor, better handling, and more style. I believe that the mpg ratings are ballpark. But, then, Ford offers a better competitior to the equinox in the escape. So, if the buyer balks at the price on the edge, then just show them the escape.

Well I know the Chrysler plant in Windsor is having no problem receiving parts and they build more vehicles than St. Thomas and OAC together. The rail seems to be a unique problem to Ford.

That still doesn't address on hand inventories. Nor does it break down what or where the part is coming from.

I'd also have to agree with DCK regarding the alignment of the Edge and Murano. If anything the Equinox should be cross shopped with the Escape.