How do you rate the Ford Mondeo?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate the Ford Mondeo?

• * * * * * A
    • * * * * B
    • * * * C
    • * * D
    • * F

I've been on the fence for a very long time, when it came to this car. After seeing that video, I've warmed up to it 100%. This design is what VW aimed for with their latest intereations, but fell flat on their collective 'faces'.

I like it, I'd probably buy one if they sold it here (without all that silver BS in the interior) and could possibly notch in within the Ford lineup as a sporting variant only with limited product offered stateside.

If it was sold in the U.S., Ford could not make them fast enough.

Ditch the Fusion, and sell THIS vehicle.

I still completely disagree with this assertion. Is the Mondeo a better car than the Fusion? Certainly. Would the Mondeo be amongst the best in its class in the U.S.? Quite possibly. Would it instantly make the buying public forget about the heap of crap sedans Ford had been releasing in the U.S. for the better part of the past 3 decades? Probably not.

I still completely disagree with this assertion. Is the Mondeo a better car than the Fusion? Certainly. Would the Mondeo be amongst the best in its class in the U.S.? Quite possibly. Would it instantly make the buying public forget about the heap of crap sedans Ford had been releasing in the U.S. for the better part of the past 3 decades? Probably not.

And Ford will never change that perception if they never try..

The "people don't like them so don't even try" line of thought amazes me..

And Ford will never change that perception if they never try..

The "people don't like them so don't even try" line of thought amazes me..

I'm not saying any such thing. I'm just saying that just because a vehicle is better doesn't guarantee it will be an instant success. Everyone must admit that the Fusion is at least a more compitent entry in the midsize market than Ford has had for over a decade. Would I rather it be more like the Mondeo? Of course. And it will be in its next generation by all accounts. I just don't believe that it would be a hit simply for being better. Nothing is going to make Ford's reputation recover quickly.

I'm not saying any such thing. I'm just saying that just because a vehicle is better doesn't guarantee it will be an instant success. Everyone must admit that the Fusion is at least a more compitent entry in the midsize market than Ford has had for over a decade. Would I rather it be more like the Mondeo? Of course. And it will be in its next generation by all accounts. I just don't believe that it would be a hit simply for being better. Nothing is going to make Ford's reputation recover quickly.

But you keep saying "better is not better" or will not help perception of Ford NA cars. So what will change perception some kind of fluffy propaganda?

Edited by MKII

But you keep saying "better is not better" or will not help perception of Ford NA cars. So what will change perception some kind of fluffy propaganda?

Progressive improvements will eventually change that image. The Fusion is certainly an improvement over Ford's previous sedan attempts in recent memory here in the US, so it's not a total loss. They just need to keep improving upon what they are doing now.

Progressive improvements won't cut it until Ford releases a car that's at the head of its class, period.

Fusion was an improvement Vs. past Fords... but it couldn't even beat an old car released years before in comparisons.

Fusion launched with mediocre safety, a mediocre interior, mediocre visibility, mediocre fuel economy, mediocre V6, etc etc etc.

That won't impress the audience or send the message that Ford has changed. Something as good as this, however, would.

The sheetmetal in the Fusion is a nice design, but all Ford's "value" crap has given them are Kia, Hyundai, etc. conquests.

Their perception will never change as long as the current strategy isn't drastically modified to deliver something as good as this.

Sonata sales are down, Fusion sales are up.

Camry, Altima, Accord keep getting repeat customers.

Pretty much explains everything, really. Why would someone with, say, an Accord, "upgrade" to the Fusion? NVH levels are better in the Accord, it has a more powerful V6 and gets better fuel economy. AWD isn't worth it with that ammount of notable cost cutting. Yeah, so it's cheaper... it's also cheaper too, and hardly impressive to the average customer not comparing it only against past Fords.

The NA Accord is just as good as the one in Europe, ditto for the Civic, which isn't far off in terms of overall standards. Same with Nissan and Toyota. Their foreign stuff isn't really that different. Is Ford competing against Honda or Hyundai?

There's a night and day difference between this car and the Fusion in that regard.

Edited by pcsario

Progressive improvements won't cut it until Ford releases a car that's at the head of its class, period.

Fusion was an improvement Vs. past Fords... but it couldn't even beat an old car released years before in comparisons.

Fusion launched with mediocre safety, a mediocre interior, mediocre visibility, mediocre fuel economy, mediocre V6, etc etc etc.

That won't impress the audience or send the message that Ford has changed. Something as good as this, however, would.

The sheetmetal in the Fusion is a nice design, but all Ford's "value" crap has given them are Kia, Hyundai, etc. conquests.

Their perception will never change as long as the current strategy isn't drastically modified to deliver something as good as this.

Sonata sales are down, Fusion sales are up.

Camry, Altima, Accord keep getting repeat customers.

Pretty much explains everything, really. Why would someone with, say, an Accord, "upgrade" to the Fusion? NVH levels are better in the Accord, it has a more powerful V6 and gets better fuel economy. AWD isn't worth it with that ammount of notable cost cutting. Yeah, so it's cheaper... it's also cheaper too, and hardly impressive to the average customer not comparing it only against past Fords.

The NA Accord is just as good as the one in Europe, ditto for the Civic, which isn't far off in terms of overall standards. Same with Nissan and Toyota. Their foreign stuff isn't really that different. Is Ford competing against Honda or Hyundai?

There's a night and day difference between this car and the Fusion in that regard.

I really fail to see how the Fusion is THAT far behind the Mondeo in any of the areas you mentioned. The Mondeo is also lacking in power even moreso than the Fusion, so bringing it here as is wouldn't solve all of the supposed shortcomings the Fusion has.

Again, this whole argument is pretty moot as it seems relatively certain that the next Mondeo and Fusion are going to be sharing a lot of components, including sheet metal.

I'm not saying "BRING THE MONDEO AND KILL THE FUSION!!11"

All I'm saying is this is the kind of effort Ford should put behind their NA car lineup.

This car will be either class leading or near the top of its class.

Not a fourth, fifht or sixth pick in the average Joe's list.

It's truly a comeback effort and exactly what they needed to do.

And yeah there's hope, I'm mainly worried about the '09 refresh for the Fusion. The next one is still too far away.

Edited by pcsario

All I'm saying is this is the kind of effort Ford should put behind their NA car lineup.

Who's to say the Mondeo would fare any better in those comparison tests? I guess we'll never really know.

But thats the problem...say the Mondeo does come over here and near the top of its class...will it sell? No because the consumer has had a bad experience with Ford Sedans for the past 20 years or so since the Launch of the Taurus, which was the last time they did something right.

The Fusion is a "good" car for "now" and is much better then what Ford has done in the past 10-15 years. Ford already has plans to improve it in 09, where it will be come "better" or even maybe "great"...its not like its in a vacuum like past Products where they are left to rot on the vine for 5-8 years without any major improvements..the Addition of AWD this year and hybrid next will help out with sales..The car is slowing gaining momentum as people know to get it better and sales are up month to month. I don't think you can ask for much else, since conquring the mid-size sales crown with in a year of launch is plain stupid.

But thats the problem...say the Mondeo does come over here and near the top of its class...will it sell? No because the consumer has had a bad experience with Ford Sedans for the past 20 years or so since the Launch of the Taurus, which was the last time they did something right.

The Fusion is a "good" car for "now" and is much better then what Ford has done in the past 10-15 years. Ford already has plans to improve it in 09, where it will be come "better" or even maybe "great"...its not like its in a vacuum like past Products where they are left to rot on the vine for 5-8 years without any major improvements..the Addition of AWD this year and hybrid next will help out with sales..The car is slowing gaining momentum as people know to get it better and sales are up month to month. I don't think you can ask for much else, since conquring the mid-size sales crown with in a year of launch is plain stupid.

All I'm saying is the "Consumers won't buy a better Ford so why try?" mentality will only hurt Ford in the end.

I said from the start the only effect the value pricing crap would have for the Fusion was allign it as a Hyundai competitor more than a ToyoHonda killer, because it would come at a price.

Sure enough, it didn't work. It's mostly getting conquests from the bottom end of the marketplace, not changing nor improving Ford's image among those who left.

Sonata, G6, etc. sales are going down just as fast as Fusion sales are improving; Toyota and Honda couldn't care less about the Fusion.

It's not a threat/temptation to anyone like the Altima was (and the market rewarded Nissan accordingly at a time they were considered shit).

Again there's little reason to "upgrade" to a Fusion from a four year old Accord.

You need to give those people some incentives to make the switch, and blatant cost cutting + mediocrity isn't the answer.

Edited by pcsario

All I'm saying is the "Consumers won't buy a better Ford so why try?" mentality will only hurt Ford in the end.

I said from the start the only effect the value pricing crap would have for the Fusion was allign it as a Hyundai competitor more than a ToyoHonda killer.

Sure enough, it didn't work. It's only getting conquests from the bottom end of the market, and is doing shit to improve Ford's image.

It didn't generate any buzz, the Challenge ads aren't making people ditch their Accords but it's pointing out the car for other customers.

Sonata, G6, etc. sales are going down just as fast as Fusion sales are improving; Toyota and Honda couldn't care less about the Fusion.

It's not a threat to them like the Altima was (and the market rewarded Nissan accordingly at a time they were considered shit).

Again there's little reason to "upgrade" to a Fusion from a four year old Accord.

You need to give those people some incentives to make the switch, and blatant cost cutting + mediocrity isn't the answer.

LOL...

Toyota and Honda could careless about (insert car name here). Where do you people come up with this crap?

I also love it how opinion is paraded around here as fact.

The Altima had a direct effect on changes applied to the Accord and the way the new Camry was to be designed.

You think they feel threatened by the Fusion's mediocrity when it couldn't even beat an old Honda?

ROFL

You crack me up, Michael.

Go boycott CR for pointing out the obvious too:

New Nissan midsize (Altima) - 89

New Ford midsize (Fusion) - 77

Let me guess... "That score is not realistic, CR is biased and they're lying cuz my Fusion is the best Ford I've bought" :rolleyes:

Sorry, seems the competion has a clue of what it means to be a threat to the market leaders when making a new car.

Edited by pcsario

The Altima had a direct effect on changes applied to the Accord and the way the new Camry was to be designed.

You think they feel threatened by the Fusion's mediocrity when it couldn't even beat an old Honda?

ROFL

Go boycott CR for "bashing" the Fusion too:

Let me guess... "That score is not realistic, CR is biased and they're lying cuz my Fusion is obviously better" :rolleyes:

Sorry, seems the competion has a clue of what it means to be a threat to the market leaders when making a new car.

CR is exceptionally biased....when it comes to cars it HAS to be Japanese....I research the shite out of big ticket items before I buy em ( TV's, washers, water heaters etc etc ) and I talk to the people that service/ calibrate and have hands on knowledge...not those that unpack a bloody box once )....and not ONCE has CR agreed with items that people in the field recommend with YEARS of hands on experience....that magazine is a joke and sadly used as gospel by people that are too lazy to get off their own ass's and reasearch items themselves.....including cars...

ROFL

Go boycott CR for pointing out the obvious too:

Let me guess... "That score is not realistic, CR is biased and they're lying cuz my Fusion is the best Ford I've bought" :rolleyes:

LOL, I crack you up? Rightio......

Where did I mention, or even allude, that the Fusion was the best thing since sliced bread? The car ain't perfect, there are things that I wish'd Ford would have spent more money on. That said, the vehicle more than serves its purpose.

Oh and if the Fusion were such a shining example of mediocrity at its finest I doubt that score you posted from CR would have been that high.

Give me a break. Fine you hate the car, but talk about :beatdeadhorse: over and over again.

LOL... do I need to remind you all this started due to your usual melt downs every time something even remotely negative about the Fusion is said?

YOU are the one who just needs to let things go. It's a mediocre car, get over it already.

We were just talking about Ford as a whole and the Fusion was brought up. It went from a regular discussion, to you taking offense to any criticism towards your Fusion for the 234234th time, like it was a personal attack or something, kinda like defending the honor of your wife or daughter. It's ridiculous. "Give me a break"? LMAO

Edited by pcsario

LOL... do I need to remind you all this started due to your usual melt downs every time something even remotely negative about the Fusion is said?

YOU are the one who just needs to let things go. It's a mediocre car, get over it already.

Because you always state your option when its not asked for....quit bringing it up and people won't beat you over it.

What's funny about the CR numbers is that the Fusion had better reliability ratings than the Camry, Accord, and Altima in 2006, yet scored less. Oh, and having been in a late model Altima this morning, I can assure you that it's not all that and a bag of chips as far as the interior's concerned.

We can have all the "Wine Spectator"ing this site can stand to justify the Fusion's alleged inferiority.

The reality is clear and simple. Pedigree. The Fusion's is not as good as either the Camry or the Accord, and while bloodlines mean no more in the car business than they do elsewhere, they do influence purchasing decisions.

Give the Fusion Connolly leather hides, wool carpets, a V12, and a $16k sticker price, and people would still nitpick this and that, all in search of reasons to justify the current status quo. The status quo is what it is because that's what Ford has earned. It doesn't matter that the Fusion is, to all intents and purposes, as solid a match for its buyers as the Camry is for its.

None of that matters here. What we're about here, is coming up with meaningless measures of comparative worth, based on the assumption that all car buyers are 1) the same, and 2) care about the same things.