2008 Shelby GT500KR Returns!

The Bullitt had completely unique front/rear fascias and hood? Different headlights/foglights? A completely different engine than the Mustang GT? Completely different suspension, gearing, and transmission? Different seats?

And that's only the short list of differences between a GT500/GT500KR than an ordinary Mustang GT. I'm leaving out plenty.

Still doesn't justify the markups, but give me a break.

Let's try this again.

I think the Shelby GT-H is overrated and now I think the GT500KR is kind of a joke. There is nothing really special about these cars other than the Shelby name and the price they will command. Even the Bullitt had more unique stuff than these cars.

Now, perhaps this time around you read what I actually typed. Yes, the Bullitt had more substantial differences from the 2001 Mustang GT than the Shelby GT-H does from the regular Mustang GT and the Shelby GT500KR does from the Shelby GT500. You see, I never bashed the GT500, only these excuses to slap the Shelby name on as many Mustangs as possible.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wake up fellas. In the last 5 years, Ford's brought us a 300HP mustang GT for under 30K, the resurrection of the Shelby GT500 with no less than 500 HP, a world beating supercar in the form of the Ford GT, and now the return of the KR. All this from a company that depite it's difficulties financially, hasn't forgotten the real enthusiasts. These ARE the good old days. And the "ostrich" name calling will begin in 3...2...1... :)

That's all fine and dandy if you want a Mustang. What does Ford offer to those of us who already own a Mustang and want something different? A 221 horsepower Fusion? :banghead:

The Bullitt had completely unique front/rear fascias and hood?

Actually, yes. The Bullitt had a blacked up corral. :)

Different headlights/foglights?
The Bullitt had a foglight delete

A completely different engine than the Mustang GT?

A specially designed Bullitt specific aluminum intake manifold with Cobra style twin blade 57mm throttle body. Also came with different pulleys and catback. No, the Bullitt intake is not the same as the SVO intake, there are signigicant differents other than port shape.

Completely different suspension, gearing, and transmission?
Yep, Bullitt had Bullitt specific (at the time) Tokico shocks/struts, different rate lowering springs and different anti-sway bars. Don't forget the Bullitt specifc red calipers too!

Different seats?

Yep, '01 Cobra seats with Bullitt specific leather covering. There are many other differences as well.

Exactly.

oh booo hooo!!!!...only 540 hp...NOTHING special about this car at all, they'll sit on lots having birthdays and gathering dust until ford puts rebates and financing on them...shoot no wonder Toyota is kicking our ass.......come on guys get your thumbs outa your mouth..... :boring: go ahead nitros and Steeda.............void everything, get nailed in service, lose collectabilty and tank your resale....then get back on this thread and BITCH about what a piece it is....

Edited by Deanh

Actually, yes. The Bullitt had a blacked up corral. :)

The Bullitt had a foglight delete

A specially designed Bullitt specific aluminum intake manifold with Cobra style twin blade 57mm throttle body. Also came with different pulleys and catback. No, the Bullitt intake is not the same as the SVO intake, there are signigicant differents other than port shape.

Yep, Bullitt had Bullitt specific (at the time) Tokico shocks/struts, different rate lowering springs and different anti-sway bars. Don't forget the Bullitt specifc red calipers too!

Yep, '01 Cobra seats with Bullitt specific leather covering. There are many other differences as well.

Which all amounts to a whole hell of a lot less differences between a Bullitt/GT than a GT500/GT.

There were more differences between the 96-98 Cobra and GT than the Bullitt possessed.

Which all amounts to a whole hell of a lot less differences between a Bullitt/GT than a GT500/GT.

There were more differences between the 96-98 Cobra and GT than the Bullitt possessed.

Nick....I'm betting when the Bullit does get released it will be 400 hp max...don't rightfully know where our friend is going....

Negatoids will never be happy with anything................. unless it COMPLETELY and ABSOLUTALLY embodies everything that THEY deem important in any automobile.

If it deviates just one iota, it sucks, Ford sucks, Ford is going down the crapper, and Ford makes nothing that anyone wants.............. oh yeah, they also caused all global warming, finance terrorists, and approve of the killing of innocent women and children (if there is anything I didn't cover, please let me know).

The funny thing is, once you mention the name Mustang, you bring out a whole new breed of negatoid. These are the ones who stated that Fuel injection would be the end of modifying cars............. the 4.6 would be the end of the Mustang, and modifying cars................. that the more powerful Camaro would bury the Mustang in sales.............. and that the lack of IRS (or the inclusion of IRS) would be the end of the Mustang.

I have followed Mustangs for decades, and it is always the same. Every time something new happens............. it is the end of the world.

Frankly, I find it funny as hell.

BTW, who would ever imagine that a 540hp, fully warranteed Mustang would be panned so badly. Frankly, I think it is just jealousy from those who cannot afford one. After all, shouldn't the basic GT already have 500hp................ for $25K????.................. LOL

Edited by Extreme4x4

Negatoids will never be happy with anything................. unless it COMPLETELY and ABSOLUTALLY embodies everything that THEY deem important in any automobile.

If it deviates just one iota, it sucks, Ford sucks, Ford is going down the crapper, and Ford makes nothing that anyone wants.............. oh yeah, they also caused all global warming, finance terrorists, and approve of the killing of innocent women and children (if there is anything I didn't cover, please let me know).

The funny thing is, once you mention the name Mustang, you bring out a whole new breed of negatoid. These are the ones who stated that Fuel injection would be the end of modifying cars............. the 4.6 would be the end of the Mustang, and modifying cars................. that the more powerful Camaro would bury the Mustang in sales.............. and that the lack of IRS (or the inclusion of IRS) would be the end of the Mustang.

I have followed Mustangs for decades, and it is always the same. Every time something new happens............. it is the end of the world.

Frankly, I find it funny as hell.

BTW, who would ever imagine that a 540hp, fully warranteed Mustang would be panned so badly. Frankly, I think it is just jealousy from those who cannot afford one. After all, shouldn't the basic GT already have 500hp................ for $25K????.................. LOL

like the take.....constantly reading the "Champagne tastes beer budget" retorts....some people will NEVER be happy....

Once again:

I think the Shelby GT-H is overrated and now I think the GT500KR is kind of a joke. There is nothing really special about these cars other than the Shelby name and the price they will command. Even the Bullitt had more unique stuff than these cars.

Why do you insist on comparing the GT500 to the Mustang GT? I never made any remarks about the GT500. And once again, the Bullitt had more differences from the regular GT than the GT-H does from the regular GT and the KR does from the GT500. I think it's funny that people think I'm a "negatoid". :)

Edited by White99GT

I just don't know how you can give a car that much power and not have an independent suspension. On the GT it's sorta forgiveable and understood, but not on something costing this much money and making itself sound like this much of a track star.

Huh? What does power have to do with IRS? These cars wil handle well, don't worry. This isn't a Corvette, it doesn't weigh 3200 pounds, but it will handle well for a ~3800 pound vehicle, IRS or not.

Do you have any idea how much money it would cost to build an IRS that could hold up to the torque of the s/c 5.4 in the GT500KR................... and not have so much wheel hop that it would alienate all diehard Mustang dragracers???

Fact: The Z06 has had issues with its IRS when used in drag racing with slicks.

Fact: The CTS-V has had hiddeous problems with wheel hop.

Fact: Even the Viper has had reliability issues with its IRS.

No vehicle is drag raced more than a Mustang.................. NONE................. ZERO................... ZIP................. ZILCH.

Do you really advocate alienating the true Mustang afficianado???

PS. I have no problem with a road race Mustang.................... believe me.................. as this is what I built my '91 Mustang to be (would pull over 1G). However, do not force your idea of what a performance Mustang needs to be, on others. It is extremely easy to make a Mustang handle fantastically. Maybe, at some point, they will build a GT350 that will be all YOU want it to be.

All this from a company that depite it's difficulties financially, hasn't forgotten the real enthusiasts.

yeah i see all the hot rodders buying these. the real enthusiast set will get these cars. it definatly wont be the upper crust group that will never drive them or use them for anything.

Ford and Shelby's goal with this car is to sell it to 1,000 deep pocketed enthusiasts, and keep the Mustang name in the rags for another year or so until the new model debuts. In that regard, this car will be extremely successful. Many will be stored, and some will be driven on weekends in warmer climates, like a limited edition Ferrari or Porsche. We should be glad we have a Shelby that truly lives up to the name, and not the sad jokes peddled in the 80's.

KR should have had an aluminum block. That would help shave some weight off the front end. Going from 500 to 540 is a nice bump in power, but I expected more.

If what they say is true, and there is another GT500XX in the pipeline, they should have saved the nameplate for that model and made this one the Mach GT500 or something like that. KR should be blowing away the underlining model....and I don't see it here.

KR should have had an aluminum block. That would help shave some weight off the front end. Going from 500 to 540 is a nice bump in power, but I expected more.

If what they say is true, and there is another GT500XX in the pipeline, they should have saved the nameplate for that model and made this one the Mach GT500 or something like that. KR should be blowing away the underlining model....and I don't see it here.

only problem with switching to Alum would/ could be durabilty problems, inherrant cost...aka even more $$$ and TOTAl revamping of suspension settings...aka more $$$...and they would probably have to crash the damn thing again....aka more $$$.....540 not enough?????? shhhh change the pulley and don't tell anyone....those damn dealers will void your warranty............