2007 Sport Trac transmission problem

I currently own a 2007 Sport Trac V8 with the 6 speed transmission. I have had the vehicle at the dealer 4 times for transmission shifting issues. The problem manifests itself in different ways. It appears like the transmission does not downshift into first gear early enough when you come to a stop. If you do not wait a couple of seconds at the stop before taking off, the transmission will kick and appear to fall back into first gear. The dealer has re-programmed the flash with the latest load but the problem persists. They also replaced an expensive component inside the transmission which they called the Transmission Control Module. I believe this may be the brain of the transmission. They claim that this component would not retain the programmed information after being re-flashed. I am bringing the vehicle into the dealer for a 5th time for the same problem. When I talked to the Service Rep last week he now claims that this is how the transmission was designed to work. My question is, If this is how the transmission is designed to work, why did they attempt to fix the problem with new flash loads and by attempting to replace the Transmission Control Module. I don't buy it. As anyone else experienced similar problems? Do we have Ford techs that monitor this site? If so I would defiitely like to hear from you.

PS. This is my first Ford vehicle. If they can't resolve this issue quickly, it will definitely be my last Ford vehicle.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I currently own a 2007 Sport Trac V8 with the 6 speed transmission. I have had the vehicle at the dealer 4 times for transmission shifting issues. The problem manifests itself in different ways. It appears like the transmission does not downshift into first gear early enough when you come to a stop. If you do not wait a couple of seconds at the stop before taking off, the transmission will kick and appear to fall back into first gear. The dealer has re-programmed the flash with the latest load but the problem persists. They also replaced an expensive component inside the transmission which they called the Transmission Control Module. I believe this may be the brain of the transmission. They claim that this component would not retain the programmed information after being re-flashed. I am bringing the vehicle into the dealer for a 5th time for the same problem. When I talked to the Service Rep last week he now claims that this is how the transmission was designed to work. My question is, If this is how the transmission is designed to work, why did they attempt to fix the problem with new flash loads and by attempting to replace the Transmission Control Module. I don't buy it. As anyone else experienced similar problems? Do we have Ford techs that monitor this site? If so I would defiitely like to hear from you.

PS. This is my first Ford vehicle. If they can't resolve this issue quickly, it will definitely be my last Ford vehicle.

I've read discussions about your exact problem on several forums. Although you're not the only one having this problem, I know that's little consolation. Doesn't your state (I assume you live in the US) have a lemon law? Where I live, the dealer gets three trys to make the repair. If a repair cannot be made on the third attempt, the manufacturer has to take the vehicle back. In your case, it sounds like your getting the run around. I've owned many Ford products over the years and they have been trouble free. Be understanding and don't blame Ford for a problem with a part they didn't make. However, do blame them if they don't resolve the problem to your satisfaction. Since I'm in the process of purchasing an Exlporer with the V-8, I'm very concerned about a potential problem with that vehicles 6 speed trans. I hope someone here can help to find a resolution.

• 2 weeks later...
I've read discussions about your exact problem on several forums. Although you're not the only one having this problem, I know that's little consolation. Doesn't your state (I assume you live in the US) have a lemon law? Where I live, the dealer gets three trys to make the repair. If a repair cannot be made on the third attempt, the manufacturer has to take the vehicle back. In your case, it sounds like your getting the run around. I've owned many Ford products over the years and they have been trouble free. Be understanding and don't blame Ford for a problem with a part they didn't make. However, do blame them if they don't resolve the problem to your satisfaction. Since I'm in the process of purchasing an Exlporer with the V-8, I'm very concerned about a potential problem with that vehicles 6 speed trans. I hope someone here can help to find a resolution.

Here is an update on my transmission problem. The dealer got me to try out another 2007 SportTrac from their lot. Their tech claimed that even the new vehicle had the same problem. After a 20 minute road test I was unable to reproduce the problem we have with our vehicle. The service manager from the dealer said he was going to contact the regional rep to find what recourse I might have. The answer that came back from the regional rep was, they have had other customers report the same problem but that the symptoms I experienced were part of the characteristic of this transmission. I don't know what the heck that means. It sounds like Ford does not want to acknowledge that there is a design problem with htis transmission. I am not sure how to proceed next. I live in Canada and we do not have such a thing as a lemon law. I am totally not pleased with the service I am getting from Ford. Please consider this issue if you plan to purchase the Ford Explorer SportTrac. You will be disappointed.

I have a 2007 Sport Trac with the V-8 six speed and I haven't had any problems with my tranny. Don't sit there and say "if you purchase a Sport Trac, you'll be disappointed". I'm not!! In my opinion, the 07 Sport Trac is the best suv Ford has built to date!.......tell the dealer you want the transmission replaced.......you have a warranty........then see if the problem is gone.

I believe that a TSB has been issued that covers/corrects the symptoms you are describing. As much as I've heard about it is that the dealer can reprogram the computer that controls trans shift points and, if needs be, replace a valve body within the trans.

You may not have a lemon law in Canada, but I assume you do have laws that protect consumer rights. If you don't known what they are, consult a local attorney. Also, you can call, email and write to Ford. Why not ask for the name and telephone number of the regional rep and call him/her directly to discuss this issue?

However, first go back to the dealer and calmly express your concerns. Going off half cocked will get you nowhere. After all, the people who have the power to help you didn't cause the problem and don't deserve to be blamed for it. It is in the best interest of Ford and their dealers to make you happy and not turn you into a Ford basher or litigant. Have you tried visting a different dealer? Sometimes a different dealer will work harder to please you as a way of getting your business.

Why not do a search on this forum and the Inet regarding transmission concerns and TSB's issued to correct them. Gather up copies of all the info you retrived and pay a friendly visit to the dealer.

Best of luck. Please keep us posted.

Here is an update on my transmission problem. The dealer got me to try out another 2007 SportTrac from their lot. Their tech claimed that even the new vehicle had the same problem. After a 20 minute road test I was unable to reproduce the problem we have with our vehicle. The service manager from the dealer said he was going to contact the regional rep to find what recourse I might have. The answer that came back from the regional rep was, they have had other customers report the same problem but that the symptoms I experienced were part of the characteristic of this transmission. I don't know what the heck that means. It sounds like Ford does not want to acknowledge that there is a design problem with htis transmission. I am not sure how to proceed next. I live in Canada and we do not have such a thing as a lemon law. I am totally not pleased with the service I am getting from Ford. Please consider this issue if you plan to purchase the Ford Explorer SportTrac. You will be disappointed.

In Canada, Try CAMVAP for help if your problem is not fixed to your satisfaction.

www.camvap.ca

CAMVAP ( canadian motor vehicle arbitration plan)

Edited by xstapr

• 2 weeks later...
Does not the ECC control both engine and tranny? Perhaps it is having problems. I say unhook the battery for an hour and let it reset and then drive it for a while to see if it still does it.

I agree, please try diconnecting the battery for about an hour and then reconnect. This should reset the computer and force the relearn process to start. I own a 2007 V8 Sport Trac as well and my transmission shifts smoothly. I hope this resolves your issue.

I wish I could remember where I read it, but it was something about not disconnecting the battery to cure the problem. I thought that was BS becasue what would you do if you had to remove or replace the battery.

• 2 months later...

My 06 has this issue and gotten the flash, but not resolved, maybe i will try an 07 to compare...

Designed this way, HA ... garbage... not designed on purpose to do this "slam, lurch, thud, jerk" when coming to a stop

• 1 month later...

My 07 was shifting funny and after 4 reflashes that didn't solve the problem they replaced the mechatronic assemly. Well it shifted smooth as silk for about a week after that. About a week later i was driving and it decided to shift into 3rd and jump into limp mode. The engine light came on and so did the traction light. It will only drive in 3rd when the transmission is hot. Once it cools it shifts beautifully again. It's been at the dealer since monday and they are scratching there heads :banghead:

• 4 weeks later...
My 07 was shifting funny and after 4 reflashes that didn't solve the problem they replaced the mechatronic assemly. Well it shifted smooth as silk for about a week after that. About a week later i was driving and it decided to shift into 3rd and jump into limp mode. The engine light came on and so did the traction light. It will only drive in 3rd when the transmission is hot. Once it cools it shifts beautifully again. It's been at the dealer since monday and they are scratching there heads :banghead:

Also had the mechtronics replaced (along with new tranny fluid now too) and I have put about ... 2k miles on it in normal driving around PHX, road trip to San Diego, hills, 110 temp, 55 temps, 90+ mph etc... NO ISSUES so far and hope it remains... :beerchug:

• 4 weeks later...

The same syptoms are showing up in my 2006 V8 Mountaineer. It kicks when coming to a stop. Once the drivetrain warms up (about 15 minutes) then it comes to a smooth stop.

There is a TSB that addresses this: 05236.

I am going to have to make an appointment to have my vehicles taken care of at the dealership.

Edited by FLLMTR

Update on my original post. My dealer seems to have given up on trying to pursue a solution for my 07 SportTrac. They will not allow me to speak directly to the regional rep. Apparently he only speaks to Ford dealer reps and not the end customer. Is that BS or what? I have placed a couple of calls to Ford Canada customer support and try to escalate the issue. No one calls me back. I have given up. I told my dealer that they have lost me as a customer, and their response was "We know!". The transmission still has the same symptoms as was originally described. I wish Ford would at least acknowledge that there is a problem with this transmission and do the right thing. On top of things I found out yesterday that my tires will need to be replaced after putting on 33000Km (20,500 miles). Ask me if I am a happy Ford customer today? I was told by the dealer again, that there is no treadwear warranty on original equipment tires. New tires will set me back approximately $1200. If I am expected to spend $1200 on tires every 35000Km, I will go broke in a very short time. This is absolutely rediculous.

We have also been having transmission problems with our '06 Mountaineer. After 4 trips to the dealer without a fix my wife came home tonight with this information others might find interesting. This is from oasis.

"Special Service Messages

20005 2006-2007 Explorer/Mountaineer/Explorer Sport Trac -- various transmission shift quality symptoms - 6R60 Trans - temporary, do not attempt to repair

Some 2006-2007 Explorer 4DR/Mountaineers and 2007 Explorer Sport Trac vehicles equipped with 6R60 transmissions may exhibit various transmission performance issues. When compared to other transmission, some of the shift characteristics are different that previous models due to the 100% synchronous design of the 6R60. Customer concerns that exceed shift characteristics of like equipped vehicles which may include transmission engagement delay when shifting between P-D, N-D, and R-D, Delayed/Hesitation on 1-2 shift, 2-1 and/or 3-2 decel step in shifts. Hoot noise during cold 1st gear launches from transmission pump. TSB-07-13-08 has been deactivated in PTS. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REPAIR VEHICLES WITH THESE CONDITIONS. ENGINEERING WILL BE RELEASING A NEW TSB APPROXIMATELY MID-NOVEMBER.

Effective date: 10-17-2007"

Update on my original post. My dealer seems to have given up on trying to pursue a solution for my 07 SportTrac. They will not allow me to speak directly to the regional rep. Apparently he only speaks to Ford dealer reps and not the end customer. Is that BS or what? I have placed a couple of calls to Ford Canada customer support and try to escalate the issue. No one calls me back. I have given up. I told my dealer that they have lost me as a customer, and their response was "We know!". The transmission still has the same symptoms as was originally described. I wish Ford would at least acknowledge that there is a problem with this transmission and do the right thing. On top of things I found out yesterday that my tires will need to be replaced after putting on 33000Km (20,500 miles). Ask me if I am a happy Ford customer today? I was told by the dealer again, that there is no treadwear warranty on original equipment tires. New tires will set me back approximately $1200. If I am expected to spend $1200 on tires every 35000Km, I will go broke in a very short time. This is absolutely rediculous.

So what is the latest news on the Sport Trac? I just had the 6 spd transmission serviced for a kick it delivered when coming to a stop. The dealer had it for two days because parts had to be ordered. It is running smooth now.

I wonder why Ford doesn't step up and replace the transmission? That is what Honda did for one of my coworkers and the job was done in one day and everyone was happy.

As far as the tires go, I will be lucky to get 20,000 miles out of my Michelins. I will probably go with Good Year or Khumo on the next tire change.

Why replace the transmission? If it is the same problem that a friend is having, sounds like it, replacing trans. will not fix it. They had theres replaced and still having the same problem. According to the regional rep there will be a recall coming out. Even the TSB says a fix will be released this month.

"New tires will set me back approximately $1200. If I am expected to spend $1200 on tires every 35000Km, I will go broke in a very short time. This is absolutely rediculous."

If you are spending $1200 on a set of tires you are being ripped! If you have original tires and wheels you should be looking at $600-$700 at most. Why are the tires wearing so fast?

Well I am new here, but i have reading your posts for about 3 weeks.

I have a 07 Sports Track - Bought 4-17-08. I now have 15040 miles. After two weeks I felt a problem.

Many items you guys wrote sound like I wrote them. I got my track back Friday morning after this "NEW Fix" My truck can now spin tires like my 05 GT! But if you punch the gas to pass or get on the interstate to merge it stays in a low gear. The shift points are way too long. Like 5500 to 6000 rpm!

Friday I got on the gas to go up the ramp and merge in and i was hitting 6000 rpm and doing 57-60 miles an hour. When I let off the gas the truck sounds like it goes into neutral. I was told it would take several days for the tranny to adjust?

My wife could feel the truck pulse while doing 45 on our home road and every once in awhile if feels as though it can't find the right gear.

Guess monday I will be talking my "My freindly" Ford Cust. rep (whole nother story) I will let you know what I find out.

Any body know when the recall will be listed? I had a hard time finding out I really was not nutts about my sports trac. They kept telling me that was just the way it was for the first few months.

I am hoping for a buy back (cross fingers) I would get a 07 f150 if they will help> Other wise I will lose almost 8000$.

Any other info would be of great help.

Thanks

07alerotaz.

Well I am new here, but i have reading your posts for about 3 weeks.

I have a 07 Sports Track - Bought 4-17-08. I now have 15040 miles. After two weeks I felt a problem.

Many items you guys wrote sound like I wrote them. I got my track back Friday morning after this "NEW Fix" My truck can now spin tires like my 05 GT! But if you punch the gas to pass or get on the interstate to merge it stays in a low gear. The shift points are way too long. Like 5500 to 6000 rpm!

Friday I got on the gas to go up the ramp and merge in and i was hitting 6000 rpm and doing 57-60 miles an hour. When I let off the gas the truck sounds like it goes into neutral. I was told it would take several days for the tranny to adjust?

My wife could feel the truck pulse while doing 45 on our home road and every once in awhile if feels as though it can't find the right gear.

Guess monday I will be talking my "My freindly" Ford Cust. rep (whole nother story) I will let you know what I find out.

Any body know when the recall will be listed? I had a hard time finding out I really was not nutts about my sports trac. They kept telling me that was just the way it was for the first few months.

I am hoping for a buy back (cross fingers) I would get a 07 f150 if they will help> Other wise I will lose almost 8000$.

Any other info would be of great help.

Thanks

07alerotaz.

New update today.

Spoke to the dealership today. they confirm what i told them the sports trac is doing after the new "program"'

I am now being told the sports trac with the V8 4.6 is suppose to shift at 6000 rpm at hard throttle (60mph)

WOT and they also told me it should go to 8000rpm (80 mph)!

When is the 4.6 set up to handle that kind of daily abuse?

I guess they couldnt fix the problem so they changed everything so it would not show up to most people? Can you say wore out motor?

Oh by the way I can now do burn outs from a stop light if I am not careful. I never could make the sports trac do that before, even when I tried to show off the V8 in it. It barely chirped if I started it in L1'

I guess this is the way to not have to due a buy back?

Just thought I would give heads up. I am waiting to see what my rep tells me on Wednesday.

I had mine into the dealer about 2 weeks ago. They said that

they got a notice to STOP trying to fix it. A new flash was being

developed and would be out mid-November. I should check back

then.

Anyone been told the same?

Anyone able to check if it's real?

Waiting in Texas...

:reading:

• 1 month later...

Well, I thought the problem with my 2006 4.6 Mountaineer was fixed. It wasn't. The reflash and fluid exchange did not work and the transmission still kicks from 2nd to 1st when coming to a stop. It does not make a difference whether the weather is hot or cold, nor does it make a difference whether the vehicle was driven for a short time or after some distance.

This is really disappointing. Does Ford have a fix for this or not?