2007 Sport Trac transmission problem

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there seems to be yet another TSB out on this, check with your local dealer as I don't have the # with me now

Can you please post the TSB #.

Our '06 Mountaineer is in for the 5th time and I'd like to hit someone over the head with the TSB. My wife has been told that after the November fix that that is it, no other fixes from ford. Nothing new anyway. They're even trying to charge to look at it for the same problem. I think they just hope we'll go away. We've even been told it's normal. What would they consider abnormal, it already feels like the tranny is going to fall out.

Also, ours didn't show any problems till after 30K miles, so just because it's not happening now doesn't mean it won't later.

Any news on the new fix that was supposed to be out in November 07. I haven't heard anything from Ford about a recall for this problem. I had my vehicle in for maintenance today and no mention of a possible fix.

Had the November fix done in late November, it was good for about a week then started it's old clunking tricks.

• 3 weeks later...
I've read discussions about your exact problem on several forums. Although you're not the only one having this problem, I know that's little consolation. Doesn't your state (I assume you live in the US) have a lemon law? Where I live, the dealer gets three trys to make the repair. If a repair cannot be made on the third attempt, the manufacturer has to take the vehicle back. In your case, it sounds like your getting the run around. I've owned many Ford products over the years and they have been trouble free. Be understanding and don't blame Ford for a problem with a part they didn't make. However, do blame them if they don't resolve the problem to your satisfaction. Since I'm in the process of purchasing an Exlporer with the V-8, I'm very concerned about a potential problem with that vehicles 6 speed trans. I hope someone here can help to find a resolution.

Good Day.

I am making an appointment this coming week at my local Ford dealership [in Birmingham, AL] to have my transmission tested and hopefully fixed. My 2007 Sport Trac is approaching 11,000 miles and I am having an increase in shifting irregularities/operational problems. Irregular behaviors are: 1. When cruising at highway speeds - with or without OD engaged - with or without cruise engaged - as I encounter an increase in grade, however slight, there is a 50/50 chance that rather than a smooth downshift my transmission may drop two gears then go up one and back down one very quickly, sending my RPMs up and down spasmodically. 2. When I am accelerating normally from a stop (driving like I want my vehicle to last - not "hot rodding") and I'm on a fairly level course - little load on engine - my transmission has been shifting 1,2,3,smoothly then "drops into" 6 then waivers between downshifting and back to final drive gear - all without me increasing or decreasing my accelerator position. 3. If I start off in any other forward-setting than D, I experience extreme "slipping" and rough shifts. I can let-up on accelerator and shift to D and there is a "jerk" but no more slipping at that setting. I have yet to experience any slipping in D. Several times when I've been pulling a small trailer with say a washer and dryer as the only added weight to that of an empty small utility trailer, and the road is going to be curvy and have many grade changes and I'm planning on "taking it easy" I have chosen to limit my shifts and increase my control by staying at a shifter position below D - maybe 3 if the road is a bit treacherous. Well, that works great if I'm coasting downhill - the higher gear helps limit my speed/aids braking, but as soon as I start uphill my transmission slips and hops back and forth between gears.

Non-shifting Problem: I have been unable to get out of Park on numerous occasions. Not grade or temperature dependent. Sometimes pressing the brake pedal beyond what I would consider "full brake" will help, sometimes not. This problem happens with and without having the parking brake set, often on a level surface. Several times I resorted to cutting-off the engine, cussed and restarted, then had to shake the shifter and pump the brake repeatedly to get out of Park. This is a dangerous problem. This I feel is probably more of a "linkage adjustment" issue - something mechanical - rather than a transmission or related electrical module.

I will post the results of my trip to the Dealership and we can compare explanations.

The only other problems that I have experienced [besides the AWKWARD location of the inside door handles] is that my passenger rear door does not unlock except electrically from the Driver's control panel. Not when the inside handle is pulled and not with "two clicks" of the remote entry control. (child lock is not on)

And finally, the rubber fitting between the two doors on the bed cover has developed some cracks and is leaking.

I really like the styling and improved ride of my 2007 Sport Trac. I expect my MPGs and engine wear and tear concerns to improve when the transmission is repaired or replaced.

Good Day.

I am making an appointment this coming week at my local Ford dealership [in Birmingham, AL] to have my transmission tested and hopefully fixed. My 2007 Sport Trac is approaching 11,000 miles and I am having an increase in shifting irregularities/operational problems. Irregular behaviors are: 1. When cruising at highway speeds - with or without OD engaged - with or without cruise engaged - as I encounter an increase in grade, however slight, there is a 50/50 chance that rather than a smooth downshift my transmission may drop two gears then go up one and back down one very quickly, sending my RPMs up and down spasmodically. 2. When I am accelerating normally from a stop (driving like I want my vehicle to last - not "hot rodding") and I'm on a fairly level course - little load on engine - my transmission has been shifting 1,2,3,smoothly then "drops into" 6 then waivers between downshifting and back to final drive gear - all without me increasing or decreasing my accelerator position. 3. If I start off in any other forward-setting than D, I experience extreme "slipping" and rough shifts. I can let-up on accelerator and shift to D and there is a "jerk" but no more slipping at that setting. I have yet to experience any slipping in D. Several times when I've been pulling a small trailer with say a washer and dryer as the only added weight to that of an empty small utility trailer, and the road is going to be curvy and have many grade changes and I'm planning on "taking it easy" I have chosen to limit my shifts and increase my control by staying at a shifter position below D - maybe 3 if the road is a bit treacherous. Well, that works great if I'm coasting downhill - the higher gear helps limit my speed/aids braking, but as soon as I start uphill my transmission slips and hops back and forth between gears.

Non-shifting Problem: I have been unable to get out of Park on numerous occasions. Not grade or temperature dependent. Sometimes pressing the brake pedal beyond what I would consider "full brake" will help, sometimes not. This problem happens with and without having the parking brake set, often on a level surface. Several times I resorted to cutting-off the engine, cussed and restarted, then had to shake the shifter and pump the brake repeatedly to get out of Park. This is a dangerous problem. This I feel is probably more of a "linkage adjustment" issue - something mechanical - rather than a transmission or related electrical module.

I will post the results of my trip to the Dealership and we can compare explanations.

The only other problems that I have experienced [besides the AWKWARD location of the inside door handles] is that my passenger rear door does not unlock except electrically from the Driver's control panel. Not when the inside handle is pulled and not with "two clicks" of the remote entry control. (child lock is not on)

And finally, the rubber fitting between the two doors on the bed cover has developed some cracks and is leaking.

I really like the styling and improved ride of my 2007 Sport Trac. I expect my MPGs and engine wear and tear concerns to improve when the transmission is repaired or replaced.

As to main transmission issue you mention here, I have not had (thankfully!) but as to getting out of park, known issue with shifter and mine was replaced under warranty... your tech should be able to reproduce as mine just started doing it more and more...

As to the locks, this is due to the speed sensitive locking setting and unless you either DON'T want it to lock at speed or you just get used to hitting the unlock button up from (either door) OR the rear passengers can pull up the lock at rear of door to exit... these are the only solutions in this case.

...Non-shifting Problem: I have been unable to get out of Park on numerous occasions. Not grade or temperature dependent...

2 things can cause this situation.

First (as you know), is the brake interlock not releasing when you press the brake.

Second, is the interlock between the key, steering wheel/column and transmission shifter. Move the the wheel slightly to the left or right and try again.

...besides the AWKWARD location of the inside door handles

This problem will be solved when they get rid of Jay Mays (father of those ridiculous door handles).

As to main transmission issue you mention here, I have not had (thankfully!) but as to getting out of park, known issue with shifter and mine was replaced under warranty... your tech should be able to reproduce as mine just started doing it more and more...

As to the locks, this is due to the speed sensitive locking setting and unless you either DON'T want it to lock at speed or you just get used to hitting the unlock button up from (either door) OR the rear passengers can pull up the lock at rear of door to exit... these are the only solutions in this case.

re: My 2007 Sport Trac's trip to the Dealership

I picked my car up this afternoon and the shifter problem had been corrected. The repair part was in stock. My transmission flash was reprogrammed and all seems well with my shifting. So, I'm a happy camper. Should there be any more developments with my transmission I'll post.

Regards, LEWIS

• 3 weeks later...

I am still having transmission problems with my '06 Mountaineer V8. It is really disappointing to know that Ford does not have a fix for the shift shock when downshifting from 2nd to 1st. Now the slipping is affecting upshifts as well. The vehicle only has 13,000 and the dealership is unable to resolve it. It is really disappointing. 5 years, 60K mile warranty means nothing when there is no fix. I am not asking for sharks with laser beams on their heads. I just a transmission that works better than a 1979 Chevy Malibu. Am I asking for too much??

Well I am new here, but i have reading your posts for about 3 weeks.

I have a 07 Sports Track - Bought 4-17-08. I now have 15040 miles. After two weeks I felt a problem.

Many items you guys wrote sound like I wrote them. I got my track back Friday morning after this "NEW Fix" My truck can now spin tires like my 05 GT! But if you punch the gas to pass or get on the interstate to merge it stays in a low gear. The shift points are way too long. Like 5500 to 6000 rpm!

Friday I got on the gas to go up the ramp and merge in and i was hitting 6000 rpm and doing 57-60 miles an hour. When I let off the gas the truck sounds like it goes into neutral. I was told it would take several days for the tranny to adjust?

My wife could feel the truck pulse while doing 45 on our home road and every once in awhile if feels as though it can't find the right gear.

Guess monday I will be talking my "My freindly" Ford Cust. rep (whole nother story) I will let you know what I find out.

Any body know when the recall will be listed? I had a hard time finding out I really was not nutts about my sports trac. They kept telling me that was just the way it was for the first few months.

I am hoping for a buy back (cross fingers) I would get a 07 f150 if they will help> Other wise I will lose almost 8000$.

Any other info would be of great help.

Thanks

07alerotaz.

Does Canada have a lemon law? Get an attorney. The 2007 Expeditions have a similar problem. They don't know how to fix it. Reflashing does nothing.

I am approaching 16k miles on my 07 Sport Trac Limited 4x4 V8. I have probably experienced the hard downshift when coming to a complete stop less than 10 times total. One of the few times that I have experienced a clunk has been after coming to a complete stop and then trying to accelerate again within seconds, such as when making a right on red. I have read that the computer has to learn your driving habits. I have also found that if I wait just a few seconds more before trying to take off again results in much smoother operation. I suspect the computer that controls the transmission shift points is not able to make the necessary calculations quickly enough to do it smoothly. Maybe it needs more processor speed? I have also read that this transmission and it's computer are supplied to Ford as a sealed unit. I see this as a major issue for Ford if they plan to use this same transmission in the 09 F-150.

• 3 weeks later...
I currently own a 2007 Sport Trac V8 with the 6 speed transmission. I have had the vehicle at the dealer 4 times for transmission shifting issues. The problem manifests itself in different ways. It appears like the transmission does not downshift into first gear early enough when you come to a stop. If you do not wait a couple of seconds at the stop before taking off, the transmission will kick and appear to fall back into first gear. The dealer has re-programmed the flash with the latest load but the problem persists. They also replaced an expensive component inside the transmission which they called the Transmission Control Module. I believe this may be the brain of the transmission. They claim that this component would not retain the programmed information after being re-flashed. I am bringing the vehicle into the dealer for a 5th time for the same problem. When I talked to the Service Rep last week he now claims that this is how the transmission was designed to work. My question is, If this is how the transmission is designed to work, why did they attempt to fix the problem with new flash loads and by attempting to replace the Transmission Control Module. I don't buy it. As anyone else experienced similar problems? Do we have Ford techs that monitor this site? If so I would defiitely like to hear from you.

PS. This is my first Ford vehicle. If they can't resolve this issue quickly, it will definitely be my last Ford vehicle.

I had an 06 Explorer 4X4 V8 and experienced the same issue if I didn't come to a dead stop before re- accelerating from a stop or yield sign. It could also be dangerous if making a quick left turn in front of traffic from a crawl. I had the computer re-flashed with no results. I believe that this is actually the way the transmission is designed to work. It would be very noticable and bothersome to those who drive through many yield or stop signs every day. It could also go un-noticed to those who don't. I consider this transmission program very abnormal compared to pretty much every other transmission I have operated. What I consider a "normal" transmission, would downshift from 2-1 while slowing to a stop, not after re-accelerating. I definitely disagree with the logic of this transmission program, and appreciate the quick power and response that I get from driving a vehicle with a "normal" transmission. I do however appreciate the added acceleration of a low first gear, and the smooth shifting that this transmission provides during other shifts.

Despite my dislike of this transmission program, I did however purchase an 08 Sport-Trac 4X4 V8 with the same transmission. The problem is somewhat less significant and bothersome because the transmission seems to do the 2-1 shift slightly quicker and smoother while accelerating, however, the transmission still uses the same unusual logic of late downshifting, instead of downshifting ahead of time while slowing down to a stop.

Overall i love this vehicle and would definitely purchase another one, but I have concerns about ford using this transmission in other vehicles like the 09 F-150, because other manufactures like GM don't have this problem.

I have become completely disgusted with the shift quality of the transmission on this vehicle (2006 Mountaineer). What is absurd is that Ford owned Land Rover is having problems with their transmissions in their $65,000 SUV's and customers are complaining to the NHTSA about the lack of a fix.

Since Ford empire seems incapable of building a smooth 6-spd transmission, I am throwing in the towel and will not come back to the brand until Ford can get real engineers.

I had the transmissing problem in my 08 Sport Trac. After doing the TSB's, mechatronic assembly, and changing a "valve", I went ahead with the lemon law and luckily I won! I suggest to anyone that has a lemon law in their state give it a shot. It's a long process but as long as you keep all of your paperwork and get your case together it'll be worth it.

I had the transmissing problem in my 08 Sport Trac. After doing the TSB's, mechatronic assembly, and changing a "valve", I went ahead with the lemon law and luckily I won! I suggest to anyone that has a lemon law in their state give it a shot. It's a long process but as long as you keep all of your paperwork and get your case together it'll be worth it.

I agree. 3-4 repair attempts depending on your state and file the paperwork.

• 2 weeks later...
I currently own a 2007 Sport Trac V8 with the 6 speed transmission. I have had the vehicle at the dealer 4 times for transmission shifting issues. The problem manifests itself in different ways. It appears like the transmission does not downshift into first gear early enough when you come to a stop. If you do not wait a couple of seconds at the stop before taking off, the transmission will kick and appear to fall back into first gear. The dealer has re-programmed the flash with the latest load but the problem persists. They also replaced an expensive component inside the transmission which they called the Transmission Control Module. I believe this may be the brain of the transmission. They claim that this component would not retain the programmed information after being re-flashed. I am bringing the vehicle into the dealer for a 5th time for the same problem. When I talked to the Service Rep last week he now claims that this is how the transmission was designed to work. My question is, If this is how the transmission is designed to work, why did they attempt to fix the problem with new flash loads and by attempting to replace the Transmission Control Module. I don't buy it. As anyone else experienced similar problems? Do we have Ford techs that monitor this site? If so I would defiitely like to hear from you.

PS. This is my first Ford vehicle. If they can't resolve this issue quickly, it will definitely be my last Ford vehicle.

I own a 2007 Eddie Bauer with a V8 transmission that has the same problem. It's been to the shop 6 times, the Ford engineer recorded the transmission acting up, and now they're stalling by saying they want to record the car acting up more. They offered me a 5 year warranty and 1 free car payment, and I told them no thank you. My states Lemon Law allows for 2 repeat visits of the same serious problem without being fixed and/or 4 visits with a not so serious problem without resolution. I'm going Lemon Law and others have done the same thing. Good luck with your problem.

Edited by lurching

I agree. 3-4 repair attempts depending on your state and file the paperwork.

Mine has been in the shop 6 times, and the Ford engineer visited and recorded the car acting up, and they still won't do anything, other than offer me an extended warranty and 1 free car payment. I'm starting the Lemon Law process. I'm happy to hear others are doing the same thing and winning. I just wish Ford would recognize the problem and do the right thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I finally talked to the Transmission tech at the dealership then reseached his explanation and he's correct.

This 6 speed is a new beast, actually a high torque replacement for the CVT. The transmission, as I would assume most know, is actually geared terribly for mileage. It has 5 shorter gears than most 5 speed autos but shares the same ratio on the overdrive. Hence, the mileage should be worse, but Torque multiplication for performance and towing should be great.

To acheive this and gas mileage, along with smoother shifts, some redesigns had to take place. The torque converter which has a "1 way clutch", now has no one way clutch. That clutch allowed the over-run so while the vehicle shifted to the shorter first gear, the transmission would 'coast' and not lurch as it would do with a 'manual' transmission.

Well this transmission is more like a manual by not allowing over run. It offers all the benefits of a direct coupled manual transmission but with the auto shifting. You now don't have drive loss through a torque converter. Since the design is now different, the clutch packs can engage at lower RPM which allows more efficient performance.

The downside is that since the trans will not coast now when it shifts to 1st, 1st gear must be shifted at the last moment, which is at a stop. With quick stops which are followed by quick take offs, you will feel the trans bump into 1st after accelerating. If you wait a moment, the trans will shift into 1st before you accelerate.

To gain the efficiency to get higher mileage yet get the performance of a 6 speed manual transmission, you have to deal with last minute 1st gear shifts.

Obviously the first program wasn't right so the later TSB delayed the shift to 1st and the harshness of it.

I also found the bump getting harsher on certain stops and goes where it slammed and spun the tires. I mainly do a lot of highway driving. The trans needs 3 - 4 days of stop and go driving to learn the driving habbits. I didn't give it enough time with my 4 days because it was mainly highway driving. So far the trans is feeling good.

However, when driving in a parking lot, the truck will feel as it has a manual transmission in 1st gear. There's no more coasting or as they call it, over run. Look up these new 6 speed trans and the 1 way clutches and you'll find this information on the net. Ford is introducing this 6 speed in the F150 as an option only with the 5.4L and GM and Toyota are also using this technology. Toyota is having a lot of problems with their 6 speed trans in the Tundra right now. A lot of noise and vibration at certain rpms and Consumer Reports rates the reliability of the new Tundra as bad as it gets.

Ford also has replaced their previous CVT driven vehicles with the new 6 speed transmissions. Very good performance with good mileage of a manual, but with auto shifting. This looks to be the future with government mandates on fuel economy.

Am I completely satisfied with this trans? NO, but it does have some good performance benefits.

What I have learned now that the trans has been through the learning curve is a few oddities directly related to the lack of a 1 way clutch. BTW, all the new 6 speed automatic transmissions will lack a 1 way clutch and act just like fords. Do a search on the web. GMs definitely will not have a 1 way clutch and will be direct coupled like Fords. Do I like this, hek no, but it does offer performance advantages while maintaining standard fuel economy.

I have the latest TSB on my 2008 XLT 4X4 4.6L 6 speed auto is TSB 08-4-16 released 2-6-08.

What I've learned is that the program is based on time and shaft rotation. If you come to a smooth stop with no little or no body sway, the slow acceleration and stopping will give enough time to the trans to shift to 1st smoothly before you stop.

If you drive more aggressively than a grandmother when going to work as I do, I make my stops and goes a bit more abruptly than grandma. With slowing quickly on a level surface that causes little body rocking when coming to a harder stop, you'll simply feel a bump upon acceleration. This is caused when you don't come to a complete stop. Sometimes I thought I was stopped but even the slightest roll will cause 2nd gear to stay in until acceleration. Now if you wait until you're fully stopped, there's no bump.

Now the worst case is when I do a quick stop, quick start, on an incline or a really hard stop. Both cause the vehicle to rock. Add this motion to a start where you feel you're stopped but just barely rolling and the transmission bumps to 1st at the same time the body is still rocking. The rocking of the body at the same time the trans tries to shift causes some driveline stress and seems to cause a quivering bump that can be harsh.

I feel that we all have the same trans issues but some of us drive differently and the transmission's characterists will show up differently under our differing driving.

The transmission will shift perfect if you accelerate slowing to a stop, stop completely with absolutely no roll, and then accelerate.

You have to drive this as you would a manual. Think of the shifting very similar to a manual since we now have a manual essentially without the 1 way clutch to coast/over run.

I'm not fond of this and wish they could have the 2-1 shift a bit sooner but according to the Ford Specialist my Tech spoke with, not many are affected by the new shift stradegy as were with the hard 2-1 as was previous. Ford definitely knows about the problem as do the service techs. This is not a standard transmission by their definition and it will not shift as a normal transmission. It's to give the same benefits of a CVT transmission with more normal characteristics and more robust handling as for pulling trailers.

I was instructed that I could periodically check back to see if a new TSB was available since I have the vehicle in warranty.

Hope this helps, have a good one.

Ok, I think I got all of that. But I am still not clear why a shift from 3rd to 2nd is smooth, but a shift from 2nd to 1st, still kicks when slowing to a complete stop?

Mine doesn't do that since it's a 2008. Mine doesn't shift to first at stops unless you come to a 'complete', none rolling stop or come up to a stop slowly. Either way, it doesn't slam, only a bump that sometimes can't even be felt. That bump gets amplified though when a hard stop is done and the vehicle rocks from the stopping and your accelerate before it stops rocking. The bump then become very pronounced with a quivering. Have you driven a manual transmission based vehicle? I have driven class 7 heavy duty rigs, light trucks, and sport cars.

I never shifted back to 1st, then engaged while slowing unless I needed to accelerate. You need a lot of clutch slip to keep the vehicle from bucking. The reason, because of the short ratio of 1st gear. That's why you can use 1st gear to almost stop your vehicle when using it for engine braking.

Have a good one.

Edited by Mike Up

Mine doesn't do that since it's a 2008. Mine doesn't shift to first at stops unless you come to a 'complete', none rolling stop or come up to a stop slowly. Either way, it doesn't slam, only a bump that sometimes can't even be felt. That bump gets amplified though when a hard stop is done and the vehicle rocks from the stopping and your accelerate before it stops rocking. The bump then become very pronounced with a quivering. Have you driven a manual transmission based vehicle? I have driven class 7 heavy duty rigs, light trucks, and sport cars.

I never shifted back to 1st, then engaged while slowing unless I needed to accelerate. You need a lot of clutch slip to keep the vehicle from bucking. The reason, because of the short ratio of 1st gear. That's why you can use 1st gear to almost stop your vehicle when using it for engine braking.

Have a good one.

My Expy with a build date of 4/07 from what I just read, performs as designed. I can feel a slight something when slowing to a stop at about 2mph.

The thing I am not thrilled about is how short the 1st gear is and the shifting of 1 to 2 seems like a manual as far as pause, smoothness, etc.

Well... when I trade this vehicle next year, it won't be for another Explorer... or any other 6-speed option Ford offers. My 1979 Chevy Malibu had a smoother transmission than my $30k+ Mountaineer. If anyone is looking at this site for feedback on the Explorer. You've been warned!

Well I finally talked to the Transmission tech at the dealership then reseached his explanation and he's correct.

This 6 speed is a new beast, actually a high torque replacement for the CVT...

Your tech is referring to the 6F "Joint Venture" (jointly developed with GM) that replace the CVT in some FRONT WHEEL DRIVE application (Taurus and Taurus X).

This is completely different from any of the 6R ("R", like in rear wheel drive) transmission used in Explorer of F series.

Anything your tech told you regrading the 6F JV is likely NOT relevant to any 6R transmission.