2007 Sport Trac transmission problem

I have a 2008 Expedition 5.4 with 6 speed and just picked up a 2008 Explorer 4x4 4.6 with 6 speed yesterday for my wife. We put about 100 miles on the Exploer yesterday and last night. Keeping in mind the complaints about the specific shifting problems with the Exploer, I tried to make it shift "badly". Neither the Expedition or the Explorer have had any issues with the transmission at all. Every shift has been perfect in both vehicles. I don't know if the problems reported have been corrected or if they randomly appear in some transmissions. On the other hand, if I slow down to about 10 - 15 mph and then accelerate in my 2004 F-150, the resulting shift will make you think that you have been rear ended by a loaded dump truck.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the other hand, if I slow down to about 10 - 15 mph and then accelerate in my 2004 F-150, the resulting shift will make you think that you have been rear ended by a loaded dump truck.

You may need a reflash. Our transmission had to have a great deal of work done because of this problem. It was never completely solved. From first to second it would grab, shift, and then grab. It was really annoying.

I have a 2008 Expedition 5.4 with 6 speed and just picked up a 2008 Explorer 4x4 4.6 with 6 speed yesterday for my wife. We put about 100 miles on the Exploer yesterday and last night. Keeping in mind the complaints about the specific shifting problems with the Exploer, I tried to make it shift "badly". Neither the Expedition or the Explorer have had any issues with the transmission at all. Every shift has been perfect in both vehicles. I don't know if the problems reported have been corrected or if they randomly appear in some transmissions. On the other hand, if I slow down to about 10 - 15 mph and then accelerate in my 2004 F-150, the resulting shift will make you think that you have been rear ended by a loaded dump truck.

That's the thing, it does shift fine when slowing smoothly to a complete stop and then accelerating. What is not normal is the characteristic of lacking a 1 way clutch. It shifts to 1st at the last moment. It won't shift to 1st until the vehicles axles have 'stopped'. If the vehicle is even rolling very slightly, you'll feel a slight bump to 1st. The only opposition I found to this is when coming to stops very slowing. It seems if the vehicle is at a very slow speed for a set amount of time, the trans will shift to 1st. Sometimes I can feel this shift as it's very vague and others times I can't.

Now if you do a hard stop, and just come short of completely stopping, and accelerate aggressively, you'll feel a more pronounced bump.

The worst case situation is that the body is still rocking front to back from the quick stop, and you come just short of stopping with barely any rolling, you'll feel a driveline backlash when acelerating. This can feel like a pronounced bump to a stuttering.

If you simply come to stop smoothly and slowly, and stop completely, the transmission shifting is never felt and feels smoother than many other transmissions.

The negatives are directly based on the transmission omitting of the 1 way clutch where 1st gear down shifts can't come sooner without a pronounced bucking where you feel like you slammed on the brakes and then a lurch. Just as if you shift a direct coupled "manual" transmission with little clutch slippage. With a manual you can get away from the bucking by slipping the clutch engagement. With an automatic , "according to the Tech", the clutch pack can't slip or extreme heat will result and will damage the transmission. A precise and firm engagement is needed in an automatic transmission's operation.

I never had any downshifting issues while braking with the 2008. The last program simply had the 1st gear downshifts slamming. I don't know how the last TSB program corrected that 1st gear take off shift shock but it did when acelerating from a 'near' stop. I honestly believe it limited the amount of time the gear took to shift, from when the acelerator pedal was pushed. Shortened the 1st gear shift time so it was less likely to slam into 1st from added accelation, but I could be wrong.

The whole problem of this transmission is the lack of a 1 way clutch. Reason, to save FUEL ECONOMY. All auto makers are required to have a much higher average MPG across their entire line by a certain date, and is required by the EPA. This transmission is to provide their EPA requirement.

If they threw in the towel, and kept the 1 way clutch, it would be no different than any other vehicle where 1st gear could shift early and not engage until the rpms of the axle side matched the rpms of the trans side. Allowing you to coast or over run until the rpms matched.

BTW, GM's new 6 transmission will also lack a 1 way clutch and I can almost bet that Toyotas does also. They most likely just got the shift stradegy done correctly the first time, although theirs have trans failures and tons of transmission problems. Toyota more reliable?? How about no reliability! :hysterical: I went through the same crap with very unreliable Nissan Fullsize 1/2 ton Titan. Drivetrain was crap and failing. They also cheapened their paint and assembly processes. Had problems on the Titan and new Pathfinder, so all my truck purchases will be either Ford or Dodge.

Have a good one.

Edited by Mike Up

Your tech is referring to the 6F "Joint Venture" (jointly developed with GM) that replace the CVT in some FRONT WHEEL DRIVE application (Taurus and Taurus X).

This is completely different from any of the 6R ("R", like in rear wheel drive) transmission used in Explorer of F series.

Anything your tech told you regrading the 6F JV is likely NOT relevant to any 6R transmission.

All he was stating that Ford was ridding themselves of the CVT because of oddities in their operation to most folks. They were replacing them with 6 speed trans for equal performance benefits and fuel mileage. I don't believe they omitted the 1 way clutch on those models as they all get great mileage already, but they may have.

Have a good one.

• 2 months later...

I just had the transmission reflash work done to fix mine. I had 2 of the symptoms- sometimes the tranny would be really loud and howl on takeoff from a stop until it upshifted. But, most times it would clunk to 1st gear as you were slowing down right before the stop. I just told the Service Manager to "look for the TSB, the transmission shifts wierd". He admitted that he didn't think the re-flash would work, but it did.

I just had the transmission reflash work done to fix mine. I had 2 of the symptoms- sometimes the tranny would be really loud and howl on takeoff from a stop until it upshifted. But, most times it would clunk to 1st gear as you were slowing down right before the stop. I just told the Service Manager to "look for the TSB, the transmission shifts wierd". He admitted that he didn't think the re-flash would work, but it did.

Most do for a couple thousand miles, then it goes back to the same thing.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Well my transmission is still good to go, but a few weeks ago, in stop-and-go traffic, the motor started to sputter upon take-off. I had it at the dealer twice, the second time they found it needed a new throttle body. A new throttle body at 30000 miles! Glad it was under warranty, but anyone else have this problem?

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
Just out of curiosity, is this the same 6-speed as in the new F150? If so, how on earth could Ford possibly put this POS in their top selling vehicle unless they have fixed this issue? Assuming they have fixed it, will they finally man up and fix our guinea pig Explorers?

Yes, it is the same tranny that is in the new F150's and Expy's.

I just got my 2008 STV8 back from the dealer for transmission troubles for the 5th time yesterday.

The service writer told me the 2009 F150's and Expeditions with this transmission are starting to come in with this same series of issues the Explorers, Mounty's and Sport-Tracs have.

How nice for Ford to put this POS transmission in their top selling and most profitable vehicles.

I guess the Powertrain Engineers have this issue on ignore.

Edited by gbb

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, it is the same tranny that is in the new F150's and Expy's.

I just got my 2008 STV8 back from the dealer for transmission troubles for the 5th time yesterday.

The service writer told me the 2009 F150's and Expeditions with this transmission are starting to come in with this same series of issues the Explorers, Mounty's and Sport-Tracs have.

How nice for Ford to put this POS transmission in their top selling and most profitable vehicles.

I guess the Powertrain Engineers have this issue on ignore.

I have finally set up an appointment with the local Ford dealer's service dept to have this issue addressed. I have been waiting until the last possible minute in hopes they would come up with a permanent fix. The truck just passed 32K so I really can't put this off any longer. Does anyone have the latest TSB number? I looked on the NHTSA website but could not find anything on this issue. I intend to print the TSB and hand it to the service writer just so he knows I am aware of the proper procedures. I also intend to tell him that if his techs are not experienced and conscientious enough to do this right I will not hesitate to find another dealer.

Other than this transmission issue and a noisy, sticking door hinge I have been very happy with this truck. I have done the usual intake and exhaust performance mods and the truck is very responsive and fun to drive. Well, at least until I have to come to stop and feel that bull moose center punching the tailgate. It was a bit ironic when I pulled into the parking space at the dealership today and the tranny jerked into first gear almost causing me to hit their giant tire balloon that was leaning against the showroom window. :shades:

• 2 weeks later...

Make : FORD Model : EXPLORER Year : 2006

Manufacturer : FORD MOTOR COMPANY

Service Bulletin Number : 05236

Date of Bulletin : JAN 01, 2006

NHTSA Item Number : 10019029

Component : POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION

Summary :

HARSH OR DELAYED 1-2, 2-1 AND/OR 3-2 SHIFT. *TT

I took my vehicle in for service to address this issue and the dealer/service reflashed the computer and the technician replaced the screen and transmission fluid. It helped initially, but then the kicking came back over the next 12,000K miles. The shifting degraded to a point where I took it back and this time, the dealer/service pulled the entire transmission and rebuilt it. The tech stated that there were worn parts (vehicle has 21,000 miles and never towed anything). It took three days, but I advised the dealer/service to take their time with it since the bumper-to-bumper warranty was just about up. Since picking it up, the transmission is noticeably smoother and quieter. No kicks. I am thankful that the dealer service took the time to thoroughly address this issue. Hopefully this fix will finally resolve it.