FORD FLEX!!!!

True, but it would've been nice to see something in the 37-40" range. Move the 2nd row forward so you have 40" 2nd row legroom instead of 44" (40" is still very good in this segment), and then you get almost 38" of 3rd row room instead of just under 34".

Although, one must assume that these configurations were tested with consumers.

just put the second row on tracks like the first row and problem solved

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DRM is a scam. Even Apple is getting rid of it on all of their EMI Records offerings. It's only a matter of time before everyone else follows suit. There's absolutely nothing illegal about copying a song YOU own and putting it in YOUR car.

DRM has less to do with ripping your personal CDs for personal use and more to do with buying tunes from Napster, iTunes and Bonfire and then putting them up on BitTorrent for download.

True, but it would've been nice to see something in the 37-40" range. Move the 2nd row forward so you have 40" 2nd row legroom instead of 44" (40" is still very good in this segment), and then you get almost 38" of 3rd row room instead of just under 34".

Although, one must assume that these configurations were tested with consumers.

41 40 40 would have made sense...that said I wonder if the middle row is movable..I somehow doubt it but wishful thinking is free....

YES! I looks like Ford finally got something right! :happy feet:

I waited for the Freetstyle, only to be disappointed by its somewhat tepid performance and styling.

So then they promised the Edge... but it is too expensive, silly, and impractical for me.

With the Flex, we can get all the awesome versatility of the Freestyle, with the substance of the Edge. All beautifully wrapped in a formfactor that reminds me of those glorious old battletank station wagons that I adore. Even that Club Wagon is a fitting comparison, style wise. I love it!

Unfortunately, I simply cannot wait until Summer of 2008. The wife just found out yesterday that Number Two is on the way... which means that sometime around Thanksgiving, our two T-Birds will suddenly become very tiny. And realistically, the Flex would probably be too expensive for us anyway.

Maybe the Taurus X will add enough "spice" as a compromise before then. Because we need SOMETHING like this.

Anyway... I hope this does for Ford what the 1990 Explorer and 1986 Taurus did... this is the first in a long line of promises that looks like it could actually deliver....

Edited by goingincirclez

DRM has less to do with ripping your personal CDs for personal use and more to do with buying tunes from Napster, iTunes and Bonfire and then putting them up on BitTorrent for download.

No it doesnt, it has to do wtih locking you into to a certain content provider and forcing you to purchase more than one version of said media.

buy from itunes you must own an ipod and if you buy songs from itunes and your ipod brakes guess your going to be buying another ipod because after all, you spent a lot of money on your music collection.

buy from urge you must by a zune or other mp3 player that supports M$ licensed drm technology.

Stopping piracy is a sham, it cant be done.

The RIAA/MPAA are going to make you purchase one thing multiple times in order to maximize profits. You want to watch that DVD you purchased on your portable media player, buy the digital version from itunes etc etc etc

41 40 40 would have made sense...that said I wonder if the middle row is movable..I somehow doubt it but wishful thinking is free....

Could it be that in order for the seatbacks to fold flat for the second row seats, that the bases needed to be set back a fixed distance behind the farthest position back the first row seats could be placed?

Are there drawers in the 2nd row's seat bases?

How does that refrigerator affect battery life if you leave it running on a 100 degree Phoenix day, with the windows up?

Try downloading a purchased song from iTunes onto your iPod and then transfer it to another computer/mp3 player.

As I mentioned before, all of the songs on the EMI record labels offered on iTunes will soon (if not already) be offered in standard .mp3 format with NO DRM. They will be priced slightly higher ($1.30 vs $0.99), but it would be worth it in my opinion. You'll be able to download them and copy them around to your heart's content. I see the other record labels following EMI's example in the near future.

Could it be that in order for the seatbacks to fold flat for the second row seats, that the bases needed to be set back a fixed distance behind the farthest position back the first row seats could be placed?

Are there drawers in the 2nd row's seat bases?

How does that refrigerator affect battery life if you leave it running on a 100 degree Phoenix day, with the windows up?

Bet it cuts off after 10 minutes or so. Just like how you can't leave your headlights on anymore.

Perusing the Flex specs, Ford really didn't do much with D3 for this vehicle.

I would've figured that they would go with mac struts in the back for more space in the 3rd row & cargo area, but they kept the D3/P2 rear suspension layout.

If this thing basically shares almost all of its floorpan with the Taurus X, then this should be a fairly profitable vehicle for Ford. My main beef is still that 3rd row space is compromised, but that's just my 'bench racer' perspective on it.

I would've figured that they would go with mac struts in the back for more space in the 3rd row & cargo area, but they kept the D3/P2 rear suspension layout.

If this thing basically shares almost all of its floorpan with the Taurus X, then this should be a fairly profitable vehicle for Ford. My main beef is still that 3rd row space is compromised, but that's just my 'bench racer' perspective on it.

if it shares the floorpan with the Taurus X why are they building it at OAC instead of Chicago?

tend to agree,,,that said I am kinda excited, but I do have reservations on releasing photos specs ets basically 15 months before we get it, as Ive said before the Thunder is over, if it was to be released January Febuary ( LIKE NEXT YEARS MODELS USED TO BE _) I wouldn't have a beef....and watch...toyota will bring something out 6 months prior

I'm going to go out on a limb and say the refrigerator will not work without the engine running.

Yeah, and didn't they say it would take about 2.5 hours to cool down?

Now I guess that's not unreasonable for a fridge... but it's interesting. This fridge would then only be useful on long road trips, say 200 miles plus. And at the 200 mile threshold, by the time it was cool, you'd be there... so what;s the point?

Personally, I make several 4-hour+ trips per year... but not often enough to really maximize the benefit or justify the expense for this feature. If you have to have the engine running, that is...

So then you would almost hope it could run in a camping/tailgating/picnicking scenario then... without having to run the engine or drain the battery. THAT would be very useful, and in line with this vehicles supposed function and purpose.

So considering all that, I'm actually very curious about this and how it works. Because it could very easily be a "gee whiz wow" feature that's essentually USELESS for 90% of the lifespan of the vehicle.

Now I guess that's not unreasonable for a fridge... but it's interesting. This fridge would then only be useful on long road trips, say 200 miles plus. And at the 200 mile threshold, by the time it was cool, you'd be there... so what;s the point?

Refrigerators can also be used to keep things cold

This is pretty much a 'road trip' feature, but who knows? If it's only a $195 add on to a $32k vehicle, how many people are gonna bite?

What's curious is where the evaporator coils are at.....

Refrigerators can also be used to keep things cold

Well sure. But what was cold (the beer er pop you took from your house) would be warming up during the 2.5+ hours it takes for the FlexFridge (TM?) to cool down. So your FlexFridge would be nothing more really than an insulated lunch box... which you can get actual portable ones for $5 anywhere, or even free at a trade show.

This is pretty much a 'road trip' feature, but who knows? If it's only a $195 add on to a $32k vehicle, how many people are gonna bite?

What's curious is where the evaporator coils are at.....

Ture, if the price is low enough, it's almost a "why not?" type deal. But really, how useful could it be? I will say, if they provide a means to power the sucker for a long time without running the motor or draining the battery excessively, it could be very compelling.

And yes, I too hope the evaporator isn't like, under the carpet, under the driver's seat or something....

Edited by goingincirclez

Well sure. But what was cold (beer er pop from your house) would be warming up during the 2.5+ hours it takes for the FlexFridge (TM?) to cool down. So your FlexFridge would be nothing more really than an insulated lunch box... which you can get actual portable ones for $5 anywhere, or even free at a trade show.

Ture, if the price is low enough, it's almost a "why not?" type deal. But really, how useful could it be? I will say, if they provide a means to power the sucker for a long time without draining the gas or battery, it could be very compelling.

And yes, I too hope the evaporator isn't like, under the carpet, under the driver's seat or something....

no see...when you put cold things in a fridge it doesn't need to cool them, so the time is greatly reduced. That 2.5 hours is from room temperature. most in vehicle fridges cannot cool at all, but just keep cool.

Personally, I make several 4-hour+ trips per year... but not often enough to really maximize the benefit or justify the expense for this feature. If you have to have the engine running, that is...

So then you would almost hope it could run in a camping/tailgating/picnicking scenario then... without having to run the engine or drain the battery. THAT would be very useful, and in line with this vehicles supposed function and purpose.

So considering all that, I'm actually very curious about this and how it works. Because it could very easily be a "gee whiz wow" feature that's essentually USELESS for 90% of the lifespan of the vehicle.

come on guys...put a sealed plastic bag in there with some ice..or even dry ice...

The design of this vehicle is so completely random and hodge-podged. There is no coherency or balance. It's VERY long, VERY low, it looks like it was stepped on! The dual-paint scheme makes this illusion even worse. I HATE this thing, it's an eye-sore and an embarrassment! It's one thing to be original, it's another thing to be random. Ford needs a Lambda fighter and this ain't it! This product will only appeal to a VERY narrow audience. I am ALWAYS suspicious of products that began as a designer's concept, the market research was driven to justify the product, not the other way around. I think we'll see an initial interest, but this is a very trendy interpretation of a CUV, it won't have much staying power and will soon turn bitter in time.

come on guys...put a sealed plastic bag in there with some ice..or even dry ice...

That's sorta my point - you get one of those litte koozy-type lunch-box bag things, you can fit a six-pack or whatever in there... with a reusable ice-pack... and you're good for most any trip of any duration. And you can take your insulated, cooled, lunch-box with you. So what do you need the parasitic load of a fixed-position compressor-driven mini-fridge for?

I'm not being a negatoid here. It's an interesting feature... I'm sure some people will find it very helpful. But it doesn't strike me as anything truly necessary, or revolutionary, or worth the R&D cost for that matter.

Edited by goingincirclez

That's sorta my point - you get one of those litte koozy-type lunch-box bag things, you can fit a six-pack or whatever in there... and you're good for most any trip of any duration. So what do you need the parasitic load of a compressor-driven mini-fridge for?

I'm not being a negatoid here. It's an interesting feature... I'm sure some people will find it very helpful. But it doesn't strike me as anything truly necessary, or revolutionary.

In that case why do we need Airconditioned seats...just sit on dry ice...LOL! but it will make a good storage place for picnic stuff etc and avoid coolers flopping all round the place....AND be accessible unlike said coolers behind seats...