Big picture: Where would those who want a RWD V8 go?

If Ford killed the Panthers, and offered no full-size RWD replacement -- where would that market go?

Depends on the part of the market your talking about.

Fleets will probably go to whatever is current and cheap... like the Impala.

Livery is f__ked. They reallly have nowhere credible to go.

And consumers will go to SUVs ( Tahoe/ Avalanche/ Subs ) first. The "upscale" crowd will probably go Lexus.

...oh, and Ford loses about $5Billion in revenue... :hysterical:

More importantly, Ford may be running to late with "panther" revisions right now and stands to lose more customers on that alone... regardless of any move to stop production some day in the future.

Actually, one Statesman.
Sample size ONE - that is all I needed to know.

and I think watching the Crown Vic overtaking the Commodore in here (I haven't seen one 07 Commodore in the police department) says something.
And that means what? I've seen a lot of Crown Vic taxi cabs....not so many Lexus cabs. Is that a good thing?

They're pieces of trash who needs to be fixed daily.
....and they are also the #1 selling car in AU. :reading:

How many Commodores have you owned?

I personally have owned three fuss free V series Commodores with no bad faults and a whole raft of Falcons that were reliable long distance country cars. It's unfortunate that LincolnFan got a "lemon" of a Statesman., maybe the Middle East or exports brings up quality issues not present in the domestics. They are built in different plants you know. All the good ones come from Fishermans Bend in Victoria and all LHD ones come from Elizabeth Plant in South Australia.

BTW LincolnFan, how's that little Focus working out in the Middle East, they sure look a good package!

So far there has been about 60,000 RHD and LHD Zetas built. The lack of quality doesn't seem to be as wide spread as LincolnFan makes out - not in this country at least. I'm a ford fan and I like them, they're solid reliable cars.

Edited by jpd80

DSCN2202.JPGDSCN2184.JPG

DSCN2169.JPGfifthdoorinterior.JPG

Places around the world have been doing stretched Lioms for years.

The Aussie Fairlane works well, but there are plenty of other examples round the world (The big thing outside the USA).

If people can find a way to make a limosuine out of this:

_Scion_xB_Limo_Rear.jpg

...anything is possible.

But isn't a factory BOF limo more structurally sound? It would seem to me that most novelty limos (especially unibody models) would be less safe. The Cadillac DTS might be an exception to that rule.

Most aftermarket Limo companies use a box tube as extended chassis rails and welded in another centre section of the car that's been fabed up.

The suspension has to be retuned or the rear ends tend to bounce a little when empty.

It's easier with the Holdens/ Falcons and Fairlanes because the utilities come with a half chassis so they just follow what Holden /Ford AUS does to make a Ute.

Very simple and effective.

Edited by jpd80

I personally have owned three fuss free V series Commodores with no bad faults and a whole raft of Falcons that were reliable long distance country cars. It's unfortunate that LincolnFan got a "lemon" of a Statesman., maybe the Middle East or exports brings up quality issues not present in the domestics. They are built in different plants you know. All the good ones come from Fishermans Bend in Victoria and all LHD ones come from Elizabeth Plant in South Australia.

Is the Elizabeth plant old or something?

BTW LincolnFan, how's that little Focus working out in the Middle East, they sure look a good package!

So far so good, I am starting to like that 1.6 Duratec!

So far there has been about 60,000 RHD and LHD Zetas built. The lack of quality doesn't seem to be as wide spread as LincolnFan makes out - not in this country at least. I'm a ford fan and I like them, they're solid reliable cars.

I don't know about the Zetas, They're not widespread yet, but for some reason fleet companies seem to have lots of them!

Is the Elizabeth plant old or something?

Nah, just playing with your head. Care to elaborate on the woes with your Statesman?

So far so good, I am starting to like that 1.6 Duratec!

Good to hear. nice build quality?

I don't know about the Zetas, They're not widespread yet, but for some reason fleet companies seem to have lots of them!

That's the GM way, load up with fleet sales.

For those of you who say Large RWDs aren't that poular here in Australia, last year Ford and Holden each sold around 77,000 local Falcons and Commodores. In a country of 20 million that's significant. Multiply by 10 for a USA equivalent build number = 770,000 each so, both are as poular as the F150 is to y'all.

Edited by jpd80

Whatever you're talking about: prove it.

Absolute BS,

Suggest you engage brain before making wild assertions about a car you know nothing about.

Commodores are are no more exensive on parts than any other car.

Hmmm...let's see I've talked to at least one GTO guy that had to repair a late model GTO rear end where the PARTS ran over $1000 bucks, not to mention the 4-6 weeks to get them in. How would an import Commodore be that different?

Wild assertions? Of course, import parts are such a bargain, I recall requiring new O2 sensors for my 1997 T-100 running $300 bucks a piece, and that's for the Vatozone generics, OEM were $400 bucks and in the 4th largest city in the U.S. I still would have had to wait weeks to even get the OEMs in. Oh, and before anyone wants to use the excuse "You don't know about T-100s", I've owned one and we had seven of them in the company fleet.

We've got two of those Deville/DTS limo/hearses at my present employer, we use the 1995 Fleetwood all the time because a normal person can actually fit in it and it turns on a dime versus the tractor trailer turning radius of the Deville/DTS, even the coach builder we purchased them from admitted they just aren't made for stretching like the old Fleetwoods and Town Cars.

Edited by Armada Master

Nah, just playing with your head. Care to elaborate on the woes with your Statesman?

Radiator won't stop leaking, gas lines cut off randomly, power steering fluid won't stop leaking either, not really a mechanic problem but for some reason the engine needs to be heated even if it's 50 Centigrades!! suspension is shitty as hell and for some reason keeps jumping.

Good to hear. nice build quality?

Yes, I hope it will be reliable for the next years. I love how this shitbox handles :shades:

That's the GM way, load up with fleet sales.

For those of you who say Large RWDs aren't that poular here in Australia, last year Ford and Holden each sold around 77,000 local Falcons and Commodores. In a country of 20 million that's significant. Multiply by 10 for a USA equivalent build number = 770,000 each so, both are as poular as the F150 is to y'all.

Not to trying to be arrogant or anything, but there's a rental company near where I live I pass by it daily coming back from college. They have Focuses, Aveos and Zetas. I swear I rarely see the Focuses, they have like 3 of them and it's uncommon to see it there, they have 8 Aveoes so I always see these. They have 3 Zetas (2 Statesmen? and one Commodore) I usually see one or two of them parked there.

Where would someone who wanted a smog emitting RWD that won't meet EPA 2016 guidelines?

My guess is Canada.

Ferrari already have built a Engine for it's RWD cars that will be below the tough new European Law coming in 2010 130g of Carbon Monoxide per every kilometre driven, so l don't think they will be all that bothered unless MPG are a part of it.

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

• 4 weeks later...

To say that FWD or RWD are not an issue, I strongly disagree. For me, it's the only issue. What Ford does not understand is that there are FWD drivers, and RWD drivers - and most will never switch. If you are used to RWD, that is what you want. I would not have FWD if I could get it for half price. Do you see MB, BMW, or any other top car going to FWD - never happen. When I see a FWD car win at INDY or Daytona, then I'll consider buying one. Not one day sooner. If the CV/GM are dropped then it will be good-bye Ford, and hello Chrysler or maybe Cadillac.

If the CV/GM are dropped then it will be good-bye Ford, and hello Chrysler or maybe Cadillac.

:stirpot: So you would settle for a unitary, just not a Ford one.

Relax, I don't think the panthers are going anywhere soon.

Edited by jpd80

With the CV relegated to fleet...isn't it already dead at the retail level? (apologies to the Grand Marq).

Chrysler is the only RWD domestic alternative right now in that price range (mid 20's to 30's) and same basic layout that the Panthers have. There's always Cadillacs too for the upper end. Foreign, you've got the 3 series and C Class taking up the bottom end of luxury (though much smaller) and work yourself up to something way too expensive.

The Chrysler 300 family is not even close to the size of the Crown Vic! The 300 is the size of the 500 or Fusion. Only the Maybauch is simular in size