Pics of Challenger on Pre-assembly

Anthony

$3.00 a gallon or more for gas + gas guzzling Hemi engine + price tag high as Georgia pine + Chrysler reliability = don't waste your time.

It'll be all the rage for 6 months, a year tops and then it'll be old hat, relegated to the likes of the Solstice, Sky and yes Mustang. Worse than these even because that price tag is going to greatly limit the potential customer base. Even a really wealthy person is going to soon tire of paying $3.00 to travel 11 or 12 miles in an overpriced Dodge. They would have been wise to make a couple of V6 options as they did with the Charger. This is a car that won't sell enough of itself to justify keeping it in production. Too bad because it's a sweet looking ride.

I'm not aware of widespread reliability issues with Chrysler Hemi products, and my own experience has actually been good...very good, in fact. I think the Challengers will do fine...for awhile...but I think they really need a wider range of engine/drivetrain choices with a good scale range of pricing to make it work long-term.Even now, I'm not really sure what they are suppose to be doing. Will there be a 5.7L Hemi? With the MDS, it will get reasonably good mileage. Is the 6.1L Hemi's mileage that much of out line with the type of car it is or its competition? I don't really think so.

If the horsepower/weight ratios fall under the Shelby GT-500, then the Challenger's price has to do so, as well. Of course, if the 6.4L Hemi debuts with 500 horsepower, then why shouldn't Dodge be able to get about the same dough for a Challenger?

Lots of questions to be answered in regards to the Challenger? The pending sell of Chrysler, the future of the platform, the rising gas prices, the coupe market...blah, blah, blah. Its a waiting game, but if the Challenger can't make it, then it likely means Camaro and Mustang will likely take substantial sales hits and be predominantly reliable upon the V6 market.

The one good thing about the Challenger is that so long as Chrysler can justify building the 300/Magnum/Charger...the Challenger is just gravy and a good marketing tool, as well.

I just can't help but think that the Challenger & Camaro are too little, too late. Both seem to be fine cars and definetely work the retro magic, but by the time they're on the road the retro-Mustang will be four years old. Is there really enough demand for these types of cars to justify producing three? We'll soon find out.

Was the non-V6 option ever confirmed for the Challenger? I remember it being rumored to be V8 only - but I don't ever remember confirmation of V8 only. With only a V8 (and a predictably high price tag) I can't see the Challenger selling enough to justify tooling & production - and I think it will be thumped by the V6 & V8 Camaro & Mustang. Unless of course the 300C Hemi Convertible concept from several years back can also use the shortned LX...then I'd be all for the Challenger.

2770_image.jpg

Photo from www.thecarconnection.com .

Scott

I just can't help but think that the Challenger & Camaro are too little, too late. Both seem to be fine cars and definetely work the retro magic, but by the time they're on the road the retro-Mustang will be four years old. Is there really enough demand for these types of cars to justify producing three? We'll soon find out.

I think your going to be right..and the Camaro is going to be the one that is hurt the most since its going to be a higher production car then the Challenger. If Dodge only wants to move 40K a year of the Challenger, thats doable. But GM moving 80-100K Camaros is a bit of a strech, esp with the way gas prices are going lately.

The key to the Challenger, however is the platform sharing. Except for its skin, the Challenger will be little more than a 2 door Charger. That's why it really doesn't make since for the full powertrain allotment to not be utilized and to introduce a V6 model. Frankly, I think they will. They likely do not want to water down the excitement of a Hemi Challenger with a flood of V6 models on the market. Dodge themselves have called the Challenger a 'pony car', so my that definition, it to me sounds like they'll use the Mustang as a template for sales. GM is not going to say, "Hey, look at these great V6 Camaros over here!" They are going to roll out a Z28 that roars and rumbles and can lay down the rubber. Then the V6 buyers will gravitate into the car.

Now, the Mustang would be in trouble if it were not for the V6 models...especially in times of high fuel. That is what made the Mustang a winner through the nineties and caused GM to pull the plug in 2002 on the F-bodies. The GT especially would take a hit in times of high gas prices. The Mustang has no other vehicle sharing its platform and the costs to produce the Mustang can not be shared with another model. That is why I'm an advocate for the Interceptor sedan for production. It basically does what DCX has done, but in reverse. They engineered the sedan/wagon first and then only later brought in the coupe. Ford would do the opposite; engineering the couple and introducing a sedan off the platform.

I think Challenger and Camaro will both work with the right price structuring and powertrain choices. However, it is my guess that Dodge will make the most money per unit because of the Challenger being 1 of 4 assembled automobiles utilizing the same production line.

The advantage of the Camaro is that it will be offered in coupe and conv. It also has a much larger following than the Mopar.

I believe GM will sell all it can build for the first year at least. After that, demand will die quickly.

There will be a Chally convertible.