Ford Edge vs Lexus LS460 Braking Challenge

range

Apparently some individuals don't know much about the physics of braking and get overly confused about the tests magazines perform. Some people try to take one test and extrapolate that and come to wildly incorrect conclusions.

Here's a great example of how wrong some people's conclusions are. Per Car and Driver, the Ford Edge outperforms the very expensive 2007 Lexus LS460, the flagship of Toyota.

70-0 Braking per Car and Driver:

Ford Edge: 191' LINK

Lexus LS460: 209' LINK

The Edge stops 18 feet shorter than the flagship of the Totoya Corporation.

Edited by range

That's all you could come up with? Just one car the Edge beats. How long did it take you to find that one? Couldn't you at least disclose that the Lexus LS460 weights nearly 200 lbs more than the Edge. We don't want to mislead anyone by just cherry picking the facts.

Here are some other tests that I found for 60 to 0 stopping:

Acura MDX - 133 ft. - source: Consumers Report

Lexus RX - 134 ft. - source: Consumers Report

Cadillac SRX - 132 ft. - source: Consumer Report

Volvo XC90 - 136 ft. - source: Consumers Report

Lincoln MKX - 144 ft. - source: Motor Trend (CR has not done a road test yet)

There is room for improvement, they need to shave 10 feet off the stopping distnce. About a 6 to 7% improvement to be in the middle of the pack.

:stats: :stats:

That's all you could come up with? Just one car the Edge beats. How long did it take you to find that one? Couldn't you at least disclose that the Lexus LS460 weights nearly 200 lbs more than the Edge. We don't want to mislead anyone by just cherry picking the facts.

Cherry pick? Against the 2007 World Car of the Year? Against the flagship of Toyota? Against a car that costs more than twice as much?

I guess you would be equally shocked that the Edge also stops shorter than a 2007 Honda Accord.

Does the Accord weigh 200 pounds more than an Edge? No.

Thanks Jammers for showing us that you really have ZERO intent in a fact-based discussion.

You have revealed yourself as one who knows little to nothing about how braking performance is measured.

Now that you have been exposed, we can all hopefully move beyond your endless whining.

Edited by range

You have revealed yourself as one who knows little to nothing about how braking performance is measured.

Now that you have been exposed, we can all hopefully move beyond your endless whining.

THANK YOU!!!!

:happy feet:

The Lexus stat is awful. When it comes down to it, the tires used make the most difference, and the standard tires on the Lexus aren't good for braking.

Same for any vehicle. If you want shorter stopping distances, upgrade the tires. No mod is easier.

Would you mind posting the link to that test?

Jamers -

Give it a rest. Your obsessive/compulsive approach to this subject and challenges to opposing information is making you APPEAR irrational. Yes, the numbers are the numbers, and are correct at that time and place, but the interpretation of those numbers are a matter of personal perspective.

Drive the Edge...if you feel unsafe driving the vehicle, in the traffic environment you encounter the most...DO NOT BUY IT! I don't care if you like the vehicle otherwise...DO NOT BUY IT!

Please buy a vehicle that both you an your family can feel safe driving.

Move on.

Would you mind posting the link to that test?

I believe you can look where you found all your other stats....

It can't be that hard...???

PS - I can't resist this..(it only took 5 minutes to find)

the 70-0 for the Honda Civic is 191ft - Curb weight 2701llbs (Car and Driver website)

the 70-0 for the Ford Edge (AWD SEL) is 191ft - Curb weight 4528llbs (Car and Driver website)

I think that should put an end to it.

Edited by Edgy Girl

I believe you can look where you found all your other stats....

It can't be that hard...???

PS - I can't resist this..(it only took 5 minutes to find)

the 70-0 for the Honda Civic is 191ft - Curb weight 2701llbs (Car and Driver website)

the 70-0 for the Ford Edge (AWD SEL) is 191ft - Curb weight 4528llbs (Car and Driver website)

I think that should put an end to it.

LOL, and the Civic weighs 1827 pounds less than the Edge!

The test on the Accord took 194 feet, and it weights less than the Edge too.

And of course there is still that "cherry picked" $65,000 2007 Car of the World that takes 18 feet longer to stop than the Edge. The Edge isn't even 18 feet long!

And your a Moron?

Well, I don't know about that, but Jamers, I think the reason people are reacting this way to you is because you keep harping on the braking system (although you say you like the rest of the vehicle) even though people have provided stats that the Edge's braking distance isn't extrordinarily large compared to many other vehicles. And none of those vehicles are labelled as "unsafe". So from a safety standpoint, it's a non-issue.

Now, when you compare it to its immediate competition, it is worse, in the pre-producton model at least. That is unacceptable from a competitive standpoint. Not safety. And yet Ford is making changes to make it the best in class. Which is good.

I think you are failing to see the difference.

Edited by OAC_Sparky

... but Jamers, I think the reason people are reacting this way to you is because you keep harping on the braking system ...

Actually if you look at the 3 short posts I made in this thread, I never once commented about the Edge's brakes. I only pointed out that the Lexus LS460 is heavier than the Edge. My point being that in most high speed braking tests the heavier very is almost always going to lose so the results should be no surprise here. My next post simply asked for a supporting reference. Most of the folks bashing me are just pissed off at my previous topic "Take the Ford Edge Challenge" and proceeded to follow me here to this thread and harass me.

And yes I have test driven this vehicle and despite what most of you think, I plan to buy the 2008. So all of you who don't currently own or plan to own an Edge in the near future get off your high horse and grow up already. You need to learn to have an educated debate without resorting to 5th grade behavior. We present ideas, information, and opinions. We don't say "And your a Moron?" thus proving we can't even spell to begin with.

And Eddy Girl, I do appreciate your civility. At least you have responded with productive comments. I only wish people took the time to read the entire topic instead of the last person's comment and then make assumptions about another indiviual's post.

Thanks Jamers - I always up for a good debate.. and I don't walk away with bad feelings. But you always harping.. dude... there is more to any vehicle than just brakes.

I am trying to support this vehicle as much as possible.. the economic livelihood in our area relies on the auto industry. My former toyota was also built locally like the Edge. I know the vehicle has gotten a lot of looks as I drive around.

The best thing you can do for the Edge... BUY IT and support it.... that doesn't mean you lie about its weaknesses.. but you learn how to sell the GREAT features of this vehicle.

I can guarantee you that I would drive the Edge over any Civic - at least I know "my tank" can withstand a whole lot.

Let's move on..leave it behind us.. and put it the issue to rest... and that goes for the rest of you boys!!

Edited by Edgy Girl

Actually if you look at the 3 short posts I made in this thread, I never once commented about the Edge's brakes. I only pointed out that the Lexus LS460 is heavier than the Edge. My point being that in most high speed braking tests the heavier very is almost always going to lose so the results should be no surprise here. My next post simply asked for a supporting reference. Most of the folks bashing me are just pissed off at my previous topic "Take the Ford Edge Challenge" and proceeded to follow me here to this thread and harass me.

And yes I have test driven this vehicle and despite what most of you think, I plan to buy the 2008. So all of you who don't currently own or plan to own an Edge in the near future get off your high horse and grow up already. You need to learn to have an educated debate without resorting to 5th grade behavior. We present ideas, information, and opinions. We don't say "And your a Moron?" thus proving we can't even spell to begin with.

And Eddy Girl, I do appreciate your civility. At least you have responded with productive comments. I only wish people took the time to read the entire topic instead of the last person's comment and then make assumptions about another indiviual's post.

Good luck Jamers...you will not get civil discourse from these OAC guys unless you totally agree with everything they say....as soon as you don't the name-calling will begin.......nothing is off limits to them,,,,hell they even talk about my recently deceased wife....so don't expect it here!!

Actually if you look at the 3 short posts I made in this thread, I never once commented about the Edge's brakes. I only pointed out that the Lexus LS460 is heavier than the Edge. My point being that in most high speed braking tests the heavier very is almost always going to lose so the results should be no surprise here.

Sorry Jammers, but you are WRONG. :redcard:

The Edge that was tested weighed in at 4528 pounds....it was a loaded AWD SEL model.

The Lexus LS460 weighed in at only 4244 pounds.

That means:

1) The Edge weighed 284 pounds MORE than the LS460

2) The 284 pound heavier Edge stopped 18 feet shorter than the lighter World Car of the Year.

3) Your facts and conclusions are WRONG.

The Edge was tested with P245/60R-18 104M+S tires inflated to 35psi and the vehicle had 9724 miles on the odometer when it was tested.

No offense, but it is quite clear that you ignore facts (or even distort facts like this weight issue) to fit your preconceived biases. :redcard:

Edited by range

Sorry Jammers, but you are WRONG. :redcard:

The Edge that was tested weighed in at 4528 pounds....it was a loaded AWD SEL model.

Maybe with your fat ass in it the Edge weighs 4528 lbs but the Edge AWD weighs 4282. The FWD only weighs 4073 lbs.

AWD http://www.edmunds.com/new/2007/ford/edge/...9554/specs.html

FWD http://www.edmunds.com/new/2007/ford/edge/...9551/specs.html

Here's my links. Where are yours. You guys always try to talk a good game but you never post links. Call me all the names you want but I won't let you get away with lying. I bet you believe in Global Warming too.

:redcard: :redcard: :redcard::redcard::redcard::redcard:

BS Alert #2.

Jammer's comparison vehicles lists as the first vehicle a "Chevy Trailblazer".

What Jammer conveniently leaves off is that the vehicle actually tested was in reality a Trailblazer SS. Huge difference!

Jammer deliberatley left off the "SS" part.

The SS model is like a SVT model.

It comes with:

1) a high-performance braking system,

2) "Corvette-spec" brakes,

3) 20" Eagle High Performance tires,

Jammers deliberately left out the stats for the normal Trailblazer, which Motor Trend tests show stops within 1 foot of the Edge.

Why would Jammers be comparing a normal family crossover vehicle that has all-season tires with a high-performance limited-edition model that has special brakes and special high-performance 20" tires?

:redcard::redcard::redcard::redcard::redcard::redcard:

Edited by range

Maybe with your fat ass in it the Edge weighs 4528 lbs but the Edge AWD weighs 4282. The FWD only weighs 4073 lbs.

AWD http://www.edmunds.com/new/2007/ford/edge/...9554/specs.html

FWD http://www.edmunds.com/new/2007/ford/edge/...9551/specs.html

Here's my links. Where are yours. You guys always try to talk a good game but you never post links. Call me all the names you want but I won't let you get away with lying. I bet you believe in Global Warming too.

Sorry you feel you have to resort to calling me a "fat ass" just because I call you out on the facts.

If you were truely interested in a fact-based disucssion on braking performance, you would not be so defensive when called-out on your errors.

You can continue to play your games with others, but not me.

Oh, and once again you proven to be WRONG on the facts.

READ IT WEEP:

ACTUAL TEST SHEET FROM CAR AND DRIVER - WEIGHT = 4528

As you can clearly see from the actual, handwritten test results from Car and Driver, I am correct in what I state.

Once again I present you with clear, irrefutable facts and you ignore them.

Ignoring the facts, along with your deceitful comparison with a limited-edition high-performnce vehicle illustrates your true intent here.

Edited by range

...hell they even talk about my recently deceased wife....so don't expect it here!!

We don't talk about your deceased wife. We talk about you. And we wouldn't even do that if you weren't a special breed of idiot.

So cry me a river already, I'll play violin. :violin:

Sorry you feel you have to resort to calling me a "fat ass" just because I call you out on the facts.

If you were truely interested in a fact-based disucssion on braking performance, you would not be so defensive when called-out on your errors.

You can continue to play your games with others, but not me.

Oh, and once again you proven to be WRONG on the facts.

READ IT WEEP:

ACTUAL TEST SHEET FROM CAR AND DRIVER - WEIGHT = 4528

As you can clearly see from the actual, handwritten test results from Car and Driver, I am correct in what I state.

Once again I present you with clear, irrefutable facts and you ignore them.

Ignoring the facts, along with your deceitful comparison with a limited-edition high-performnce vehicle illustrates your true intent here.

So the fact that I posted the actual curb weight direct from Edmunds means nothing to you?

Try this one then http://autos.yahoo.com/ford_edge_se_awd-specs/?p=ext

Are you so narrow minded that your blinded to the possibility that C&D might be incorrect or maybe they are including the weight of some fat ass driver?

Let me ask you something, do you own or even plan to buy an Edge in the near future? Or is your life so pathetic that you actually have 1357 posts in 24 months. That's 56 a month. Do you have a job? Do you have a family? Did you graduate from college? High School even? What a lonely person you must be sitting here harassing people all day. You look for people to demonize for no particular reason. Have you ever contributed anything useful to this board other than attacking people with your sacastic remarks and stupid little red flags. I'm glad the brakes aren't what they maybe could because if I ever saw your fat ass crossing the road I problably wouldn't want to stop anyway. I'm trying real hard to remain civil but it's just too hard when dealing with ass clowns such as yourself. And post what you want, I got news for you, I won't be reading it, I'm deleting this url. I don't plan to return. I frequent two other sites where the exchange of information, ideas, and opinions takes place free from a-holes. I'm done talking to you. I'll save my time for a more intelligent class of individuals.

Edited by Jamers