New Tundra Having a Firestone Problem?

range

Owner references other Tundra owners having the same problem......

Make: TOYOTA

Model: TUNDRA

Year: 2007

Complaint Number: 10192508

Summary:

BRIDGESTONE DUELER H/T TIRES I LEASED A NEW 2007 TOYOTA TUNDRA WITH BRIDGESTONE DUELER H/T TIRES. TWO MONTHS AGO AND WITH LESS THAN 5000 MILES HAD A SEVERE SIDE WALL BLOW OUT...SURVEYED THE WEB AND DISCOVERED SIMULAR OCCURANCES... THANK GOD THE SPARE HAPPENED TO BE A MICHELIN. CAN'T WAIT TO RID MY VEHICLE OF THIS TRASH....YOU HAVE DUG A DEEPER HOLE IN CONSUMER COFIDENCE FIRESTONE /BRIDGESTONE!

Edited by range

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:happy feet: :happy feet: C'mon, heap on the problems! :happy feet: :happy feet:

:doh: Toyota has messed up so bad with Tundra. Add this tire problem, to:

http://www.forbes.com/2007/04/23/backseat-...artner=yahootix

http://autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?...1024/LATESTNEWS

http://www.caranddriver.com/dailyautoinsid...rash-tests.html

http://autos.msn.com/research/userreviews/...x?modelid=12494

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/04/25/would-y...ow-americans-b/

http://www.autospies.com/news/Toyota-Tundr...ilverado-14040/

And the list goes on.... and on.... and on.... and on... and on... and on.... and on.... and on... and on.......

Now I can see why Ford divorced itself from Bridgestone/Firestone. They are still building crap. Of course, Toyota will not get any blame for this. This will all be put back on Bridgestone/Firestone. BTW Bridgestone is a Japanese company...so who is the media going to blame this time? Ford?

So its Toyotas fault that Firestone still makes crappy tires? And BTW Explorer 4x4...NICE TEMPO!!!!! :hysterical:

Point 1: Yes, it is Toyota's fault, for using Firestone tires.

Point 2: Yeah, I know my Tempo is 'nice', its a lot better then any car Toyota has ever made, thats for damn sure.

Yeah OK...Tempos were one of the biggest shit-spreaders Ford ever made

Do you own one? How much do you know about them? Did you not know they were the best selling four door compact/mid-size Ford Motor Company has ever made in America? Did you not know, they sold over three million in ten years, in just one single market? Outsold every piece of shit Toyota was making in the 1980's. If it were not for Tempo, Taurus might never have come around. In all honesty, the Ford Tempo and Mercury Topaz are my two favorite cars.

f9e0b4cb.jpg

5291dcfe.jpg

Edited by Explorer4X4

Do you own one? How much do you know about them? Did you not know they were the best selling four door compact/mid-size Ford Motor Company has ever made in America? Did you not know, they sold over three million in ten years, in just one single market? Outsold every piece of shit Toyota was making in the 1980's. If it were not for Tempo, Taurus might never have come around. In all honesty, the Ford Tempo and Mercury Topaz are my two favorite cars.

f9e0b4cb.jpg

5291dcfe.jpg

have a neighbor who has one, has like 250k on engine and he hasnt replaced a thing on engine or tranny.. and it still started just fine in negative degree weather... i think he has had it like almost 20 years lol.

Ok how did this go from discussing the Tundra and crap Firestone tires to discussing the Ford Tempo? Well if this thread is going to be about a Tempo then I should tell you that I owned a 1993 gray 4-door GL that I bought in 1994 when I was a senior in high school. I paid $8995 with 15,000 miles on it and it was loaded. Drove it for 6 years and never had any major issues other then sticking door locks. Great little car. I will admit though when you put 4 college guys in it the 2.3L 4 banger with a 3 speed auto did get a little wheezy, especially off the line, but with just under 100HP you can't really blame the little car.

Ok how did this go from discussing the Tundra and crap Firestone tires to discussing the Ford Tempo? Well if this thread is going to be about a Tempo then I should tell you that I owned a 1993 gray 4-door GL that I bought in 1994 when I was a senior in high school. I paid $8995 with 15,000 miles on it and it was loaded. Drove it for 6 years and never had any major issues other then sticking door locks. Great little car. I will admit though when you put 4 college guys in it the 2.3L 4 banger with a 3 speed auto did get a little wheezy, especially off the line, but with just under 100HP you can't really blame the little car.

I know how that goes, even with the biggest/most powerful engine option..

my family went through three tempo's... each one acheving more than 150K miles... one was sold... one my dad retired at 170K because it was getting pretty rusty but it still ran great and I still have mine that I retired because I rolled it into a ditch and it just didn't look very good anymore.... it still runs and drives fine at 160K but I was embarressed to drive it ot the office... thinking about running it in an auto cross(like a motocross)

If they were so great what happened to them? Toyota is still making Corollas after 30-something years and people are still buying them. The Tempo was an ugly underpowered turd with ancient technology even in its day. Ever work on a V6 tempo? definition of pain in the ass.

So its Toyotas fault that Firestone still makes crappy tires? And BTW Explorer 4x4...NICE TEMPO!!!!! :hysterical:

why should toyota get a free pass tommy...hell Fords Firestone problem was CNN material along with rollovers that may have been caused by said tires....and question...why would Toyota be so friggen stupid/ arrogant? to use tires with THAt track record....japanese nepatism? Regardless tommy...that is a dumb move...I would say the same thing irrespective of manufacturer so not trying to get dig from BONS Toyota groupie.....do you have a Yota alter at home , candles and all? :hysterical:

If they were so great what happened to them? Toyota is still making Corollas after 30-something years and people are still buying them. The Tempo was an ugly underpowered turd with ancient technology even in its day. Ever work on a V6 tempo? definition of pain in the ass.

Funny, I see more Tempo/Topaz still on the road than Corollas of its time.

I got over 250,000 km on mine when the first major component went, the AC compressor died in the middle of an extrordinarily hot July and an 8-month pregnant wife. I traded it in on a new car.

Edited by OAC_Sparky

That is a very true statement. I live in a very small town of about 400 people and there are 4 Tempos still running around town. Heck I see more Tempos still driving around then any other small cars from that period of time. Sure it wasn't sexy, it wasn't smooth, and it sure wasn't cutting edge, but it was durable, affordable, and reliable. The Tempo was nothing more then a compact point A to point B car. It wasn't designed to be special. It was designed to be basic, brown wraper transportation that the masses could afford. The earlier models '87 and under did have some issues, but by the time the 2nd gen. car came in '88 they were pretty solid little cars.

That is a very true statement. I live in a very small town of about 400 people and there are 4 Tempos still running around town. Heck I see more Tempos still driving around then any other small cars from that period of time. Sure it wasn't sexy, it wasn't smooth, and it sure wasn't cutting edge, but it was durable, affordable, and reliable. The Tempo was nothing more then a compact point A to point B car. It wasn't designed to be special. It was designed to be basic, brown wraper transportation that the masses could afford. The earlier models '87 and under did have some issues, but by the time the 2nd gen. car came in '88 they were pretty solid little cars.

The Tempo was a good car! The Tundra is a shitty truck!

I got over 250,000 km on mine when the first major component went, the AC compressor died in the middle of an extrordinarily hot July and an 8-month pregnant wife. I traded it in on a new car.

The Corollas are still out there, they just look like sand buggies from all the rust/rot.

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

I'll bet you blamed Ford for the tire fiasco...but you will blame Firestone now that its your boys asses on the line.

wait till they cause rollovers......NO doubt they were responsible for some of those...possibly not all, but some.....

Corolla? HA! Tempo sold double it in its day. So wait, by your logic then, if the Toyota Celica and Supra were so great, why isn't Toyota making them?

Exactly. It is not cool, fast, powerful or extremely comfortable. But its reliable, durable, economical and comfortable enough with enough room.

I don't know many people with Tempo's in Connecticut, but I know of six Tempos in a twenty mile radius of my home in Alaska. And for its time, it was a good looker. Compare it to the Asian shit of the 1980's! And it wasn't until 1988 or so that Chevy got its first aerodynamically style car. Dodge didn't until around '95

I owned a 93 Tempo GL that was as loaded as the GLs came from the mid 90s till december of 98, then gave it to my parents which they used for a few years after me. It was singularly the most trouble prone pile of crap that I have ever had the displeasure of having my name on the registration of. Here's just a short list of the problems that it had...

Had the unibody welded four times in four seperate places due to the factory welds breaking in two spots and the factory metal fatiguing and falling apart near the suspension mounts (two in the front, two in the back).

Had the fuel pump fail at 65K miles. The motorcraft replacement failed at 72K miles. The motorcraft replacement for that one failed at 78K miles. The no name brand one from Autozone failed at 84K miles. The Bosch one lasted until the car was scrapped (yes, scrapped. No one would buy a car with a working AC and Auto tranny for any money, even with the body in decent shape).

Had at least 2/3s of the wiring in the car replaced (included pulling the dash, pulling up upholstery, opening up doors, etc) due to the factory insulation turning brittle and falling off the wires and having them short to the frame and each other.

Had the computer in the car replaced twice.

The factory airbox disinegrated. The replacement cracked. Duct taped it together to keep it running.

The head gasket leaked oil starting at 78K miles. It consumed 1.5 quarts of oil per 3000 mile oilchange.

The condenser sprang a leak at 90K miles.

The wiper motor failed at 86K miles.

replaced three window motors (two drivers, one passenger)

Door seals went brittle and started leaking at 90K miles.

HVAC controls in dash dies at 85K miles. Got a replacement unit out of the junk yard and managed to get it installed. Replaced leaking evaporator at the same time the dash was out for that one.

The transmission was rebuilt at 79K miles due to it refusing to engage when shifted into drive. The confetti from the pan was cool looking when we dropped it.

Replaced both CV joints at 104K miles due to horrible grinding noise and clicking during turning.

That's what I did to the car when I had it. That's in addition to what I considered regular maintenance like oil changes, fluids services, belts, and hoses, replacing shocks/struts, etc.

My parents had a far worse time with it than I did.

I have never, in my life, come across a more problematic vehicle than the Ford tempo. And I'm not alone. I had a girlfriend that had an 88 and I was CONSTANTLY having to fix things that broke on it for her. So, while I'm sure that, statistically, its possible that some may have lucked out with the Tempo. I will NEVER forget what a peice of sh*t mine was.