Chrysler to tout itself as "underdog"

Paul Selby

Many people love the underdog - I think it's a good move.

I feel the same. I normally root for the underdog, until the take the top spot and get arrogant. I don't see Toyota holding the torch for long. I bet the top four end up passing it back and forth. The idea that one automaker will hold the title for years, I think is almost over. Right now all of the products are comparable on all levels!

Wow. That's one of the dumbest ideas I've read all day.

Yeah so underdogs are sentimental favorites, but geez: if people actually bought cars on that, the domestics might not be in such bad shape now would they? :finger:

So all they can come up with is a "feel sorry for us" pity party? I wonder if they'll spin that into a Buy American campaign? Maybe get a bunch of those perennial loser underdog Chicago Cubs to do the sales pitches? :lol:

The whole thing is insipid.

Other than GM, no other company comes close to matching Toyota's global sales number. I don't see anyone displacing Toyota anytime soon. Heck, FORD can't even outsell Toyota on its home turf.

Well actually if you want to count Mazda...........

Rooting for the underdog is one thing, but spending one's hard earned money on one month after month is an entirely different story.

I feel the same. I normally root for the underdog, until the take the top spot and get arrogant. I don't see Toyota holding the torch for long. I bet the top four end up passing it back and forth. The idea that one automaker will hold the title for years, I think is almost over. Right now all of the products are comparable on all levels!

I could agree with this only if the "top four" were Toyota, GM, Ford and Honda... definitely not ChryCo. ChryCo's been the sales runt since the late 1970s.

Edited by Roadrunner

Yeah so underdogs are sentimental favorites, but geez: if people actually bought cars on that, the domestics might not be in such bad shape now would they? :finger:

So all they can come up with is a "feel sorry for us" pity party? I wonder if they'll spin that into a Buy American campaign? Maybe get a bunch of those perennial loser underdog Chicago Cubs to do the sales pitches? :lol:

Rooting for the underdog doesn't mean you pity or feel sorry for them. In a way, Toyota and Honda were underdogs for years.

It seems funny to me that we just out paced Toyota in Quality with our Lincoln brand, and are on their heels with the Ford brand name. And you sight their sales record which was only brought on by inflated fuel prices as if they are the king of the auto industry! GM builds more powerful and more durable products than Toyota everyday! Toyota has even out paced GM, then I read that Toyota's add campaign has been shut down in the UK because of false advertising! After that I'm hearing that their 60 mile per gallon Prius actually only gets 47 miles to the gallon. Hell a Geo Metro gets 40 miles to the gallon with a all gas engine but you won't see me in either one of those cars!

Edited by Furious1Auto

According to this: http://www.ft.com/cms/s/10ab487a-1b6a-11dc...0b5df10621.html

Cerebus (Chrysler) want to buy Jaguar and Land Rover. So I can't see them being the underdog in the SUV market if sucessfull.

They've also got many people that would love a HEMI if not for the cost of fuel. It's a shame we are in a brand new muscle car era and these damn refineries are killing it!

There's times when rooting for the underdog is good/popular, and there's times when it's not.

I don't think they can pull it off... I can't think of any car company that's made it's business on pity. Quite the opposite. Quirky is something totally different.

Wow these guys are out of ideas.