2008 Ford F-250 6.4L MPG ?

Mower, if not having the latest interior style doesn't bother you, I'm sure you can find a killer deal on a 2007 6.0 diesel. Most of the "growing pain" issues were resolved by then and I'd bet anything you'll get 15+mpg. Hell, with a $300 programmer they are making more power than the 6.4's and killing them in the mileage department.

The 6.0's took a little hit on resale but most dealers will cut their throats just to move them off thier lots right now (i've seen many go way below x-plan). So that means your paying a lot less than sticker and the minor hit in resale is almost a wash. I almost forgot incentives, I haven't checked as of this writing but I can bet they are pretty deep on the 6.0's

Edited by Hydro

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you will not recoup $6000 in 4 years .. if you planned on keeping the truck for 10-20 years the diesel will pay for itself many times over .. but hardly in 4 years ... the biggest advantage of the diesel is its longevity beyond 200k miles ..

Igor

Yes you will. You have to take in acount resale value on the $ 6000.00 motor. Look at most used diesel trucks in the truck trader or your sunday news paper. The motor brings almost the same 6k more on a used truck vs a gas. So the real issue it the intrest on the 6k. That over 4 years is $1680.00 at a rate of 7%. Now take just average miles at 4 years, say 50,000 miles at 16 mpg thats 3125 gallons at 3.00 per gallon thats $9375.00 total fuel cost.

Now take a V10 at what most guys tell me they get 10mpg, lets say that it gets 12 just to be safe and more than fair.

50,000 miles at 12 mpg, thats 4166 gallons of gas at lets use the same 3.00 per gallon price, to get a total fuel cost of $12,500.00

Difference in fuel cost Diesel vs V10 = $ 3,125.00 in favor of the Diesel

So lets take the cost of the intrest on the 6k from that.

Net saving is 1445.00 in favor of the Diesel. Thats if you go the std V8 if you go with the v-10 you will only increase the net savings by the cost of the v10 motor less the v-10s resale value if there is any.

Sorry if I’m taking this off topic, but I have a thought I would like to share.

The original question was in reference to fuel economy.

I had (2) 7.3L diesels and both fell short of what I had hoped for in mileage. Both were used as a daily driver and periodically used for towing. In my daily commute I was looking for fuel economy and drove accordingly. I drove like there was an egg on the accelerator.

I switched to a Dodge with a common rail Cummins. Right in the owners manual, it states the engine needs to be worked to break it in properly. As it turned out, my job changed and my daily commute went away. I broke my Cummins in by WORKING IT. I didn’t baby it at all. Today with 26,000 miles on the clock I can easily see a hand calculated 20 MPG empty. (65-70 mph 4x4 auto 3.73 DRW 4-door) My 7.3’s got around 15 at the same speed. (4x4 auto 3.73 SRW) I can’t help but wonder if my Fords wouldn’t have done better if I had run the snot out if them in the beginning?

As to the original question, maybe if Mower Man isn’t going to work it, he won’t see the real fuel economy potential.

Are you guys that are only getting low teens mainly using the truck as a commuter, or are you pulling some real weight on a regular basis?

- Ken

One more thing. If by P&D you mean "pick up and delivery", you may want to consider a manual trans.

I really regret not getting one in my Dodge. I think my stop and go fuel economy would be much higher if I could control shift points.

My gut tells me you won't get close to your 15mpg target in stop and go with an auto trans.

- Ken

Ken, I wish I saw low teens. The only time I've ever gotten 13.1mpg was a 300 mile all freeway trip. The motor is obviously still new (800miles) and may still wake up. But like you, once I hit 300 miles I started taking off from stop lights a little aggresive but not floored. I want the tranny to learn that I'm not going to baby this truck. I've only floored it a couple times so far- 1st > 4th gear. I love watching the boost gauge go to 35psi immediately. My current MPG is 11.9, this is not flooring it everywhere. I put the cruise on my way to work @ 67mph, roughly 12 miles each way. Then the rest is city driving. Not too agressive, but nobody's gonna pass me to take my lane :shades:

The towing will begin in mid August, we have some camping trips planned (26ft Gearbox Toy hauler, aprox 10,000lbs wet and loaded). So far the truck has been empty (unloaded) on all the mileage readings. It seems the GM camp is also taking a MPG hit with the regen Isuzu's. Don't get me wrong, the truck is totally bad ass just hurting in the MPG department.

I will try to remember to scan and post the pages in the owners manual that clearly state superior long term performance requires proper break in. They clearly state put on 500 easy miles. After that, the harder you work it, the better off you will be.

On my dads 250 cc sb 4x4 we've seen a high of 18 mpg highway 13.5 city check by hand (our computer is <.5mpg off and sometimes it hand calc yeilds better milage). Towing 8500 pounds of boat and trailer plus 4 people and gear we get 12 mpg highway and 9 mpg in stop and go city traffic and the truck still is under 1k miles or just rolling over.

and for the nit picky people we fill up at the same station facing the same way (its the only station both truck and boat fit and can fill up at the same time in).

On my dads 250 cc sb 4x4 we've seen a high of 18 mpg highway 13.5 city check by hand (our computer is <.5mpg off and sometimes it hand calc yeilds better milage). Towing 8500 pounds of boat and trailer plus 4 people and gear we get 12 mpg highway and 9 mpg in stop and go city traffic and the truck still is under 1k miles or just rolling over.

and for the nit picky people we fill up at the same station facing the same way (its the only station both truck and boat fit and can fill up at the same time in).

Thanks CP, I have been doing hand calculations and comparing them to the computer. The computer has only been .5 mpg off (on the high side). I just did a complete fill up last night like the fill up prior (all the way to the spout) and got 12.4 mpg. The jump was probally from a 130 mile freeway run I had last week. Considering the weight of this Pig, I guess it'll stay in the family :happy feet:

I use my F-350 for:

1. Haul heavy loads and/or 6 people.

2. Tow my 5th wheel (13-14K lbs) or my utility trailer (2-3K lbs).

3. When driving something big matters.

I use my car for:

1. Daily general use.

2. Hauling light loads with <4 people.

3. When driving something small matters.

As such, IMHO, when you need a truck, get the biggest and most capable truck you can buy. I have never had a truck that is too big :happy feet: , but I've had two trucks that were too small in size or power :banghead: .

• 2 weeks later...
I just was asking about the chances of getting 15 MPG with the diesel. What's your problem? You aren't paying for the truck. Thanks to the members who gave me they're MPG experience. I have driven the SD with the diesel and I know that it is more truck than I need (WHAT A TRUCK) . However I am a middle aged guy who can afford to buy some of the stuff I want. I just don't want to spend the money on the diesel and find out that I could get better MPG with a gas. Thanks again!

If you can afford the diesel - go for it. The residual value will be much higher than a gasser - you actually don't lose any money on the diesel - you gain. Go to e-bay and look at retail prices of older Super Duties... the proof is in the pudding.

Looking at ordering a 2008 Ford F-250, 4X4 with the 6.4L and 3.73 gears. Do you guys think I can make 15 MPG on a regular basis (empty) ? When pulling a trailer it will only be pulling about 2500 lbs. with varying loads doing P&D in town. Looking to improve my fuel economy over my 2004 Ford F-150, 4X4 with the 5.4L gas. How is the durability so far? I don't need to hear from the guys who hate the world and all of the Fords in it. Just the realists. Thanks!!

I AM GETTING BETWEEN 14 AND 16 kEEPING rpm 2000 or under seems to make a difference.Get the diesel you will love it.

• 2 weeks later...
Looking at ordering a 2008 Ford F-250, 4X4 with the 6.4L and 3.73 gears. Do you guys think I can make 15 MPG on a regular basis (empty) ? When pulling a trailer it will only be pulling about 2500 lbs. with varying loads doing P&D in town. Looking to improve my fuel economy over my 2004 Ford F-150, 4X4 with the 5.4L gas. How is the durability so far? I don't need to hear from the guys who hate the world and all of the Fords in it. Just the realists. Thanks!!

1300 + miles pulling my 19' boat on a single axle trailer last week, averaged 12.9 on the trip with an 6.4 CC DRW 6SPD LWB 4X4 on the Interstate 74 mph. You be the judge of that.

1300 + miles pulling my 19' boat on a single axle trailer last week, averaged 12.9 on the trip with an 6.4 CC DRW 6SPD LWB 4X4 on the Interstate 74 mph. You be the judge of that.

No personnel experience. But Consumers Reports didn't get anything that good for mileage out of their F-250 4 X 4. I recall it was like 10 mpg, pulling 7400#. 13 mpg empty. You might take a look at it and see where there is a difference from your truck and the one they tested.

No personnel experience. But Consumers Reports didn't get anything that good for mileage out of their F-250 4 X 4. I recall it was like 10 mpg, pulling 7400#. 13 mpg empty. You might take a look at it and see where there is a difference from your truck and the one they tested.

January, 2007, Trailer Boats magazine tested an '08 F250 CC 4x4, auto, diesel; towing 9480 lbs, they got 9.4 mpg. (non towing was 14.2)

For comparison, my 2005 F250 CC 4x4, auto, 6.8 gas, 4.10 rear, towing 9700 lbs (per truck scale) gets 7 mpg with a little stop/go and three long grades on I-5.

The mileage of the '08 6.4PSD seems to be on par with a 2000 F250 CC 7.3PSD I used to own.

Trailer Boats (August '07 issue) also just tested an '08 Dodge Mega Cab 2500 4x4 with the Cummins 6.7 w/ 3.73 gears and auto trans; towing 9260 lbs, they got 8.8 mpg; 12.7mpg non-towing.

For me, the relatively small spread of mpg between gas/diesel confirms what I had thought all along:

that the newer diesel smog regulations must have cut into the inherent diesel mpg advantage in all of the domestic diesels. The diesel mileage advantage, you would think, should be better; or at least it once was.

-Chris H

January, 2007, Trailer Boats magazine tested an '08 F250 CC 4x4, auto, diesel; towing 9480 lbs, they got 9.4 mpg. (non towing was 14.2)

For comparison, my 2005 F250 CC 4x4, auto, 6.8 gas, 4.10 rear, towing 9700 lbs (per truck scale) gets 7 mpg with a little stop/go and three long grades on I-5.

The mileage of the '08 6.4PSD seems to be on par with a 2000 F250 CC 7.3PSD I used to own.

Trailer Boats (August '07 issue) also just tested an '08 Dodge Mega Cab 2500 4x4 with the Cummins 6.7 w/ 3.73 gears and auto trans; towing 9260 lbs, they got 8.8 mpg; 12.7mpg non-towing.

For me, the relatively small spread of mpg between gas/diesel confirms what I had thought all along:

that the newer diesel smog regulations must have cut into the inherent diesel mpg advantage in all of the domestic diesels. The diesel mileage advantage, you would think, should be better; or at least it once was.

-Chris H

When my 6.4 goes into regen., MPG takes an obvious hit, if it were not for that function I think the 6.4 would be comparable to my '05 6.0. I truely enjoy your Dodge post, most of those guy's have convinced themselves how good their MPG is, 2 less cylinders does not = 8MPG.

I would think you should be fine.

I have a F-450 4X4 with the 4.88 gearing and I get 12.5 to 13mpg...

I had a 2004 F-250 6.0....Let me tell you this F-450 rides better than the F-250 and is much quieter..Much better truck!

Wow.. thanks for all these posts about the mileage the new PSDs are getting... you all scared me right back into love with my '01 7.3L 4x4 CC F-250 with 3.73 gears. I've never seen a commute (36 miles one way in Atlanta Rush hour) get me less than 15.5 mpg (this would be empty). On trips with not much of a load, but maybe a bed full off camping supplies and 4 people, I get 18+mpg (more if I keep my foot out of it).

The largest load that I've hauled was my dual axle 16ft car hauler with a '84 Bronco II on it and camping supplies in the North GA mountains and I got in the 13's.

I'll be keeping my '01 for a while longer, thank you... Bryce

Edited by Bryce

• 3 weeks later...
I have an '08 F250 6.4L Powerstroke 4X4 Lariate with 2500 miles. Last week, I went from 11-12 MPG to 6MPG. No changes in driving habits and no towing. Any ideas as to why this happened or has anyone had similar experience?

Is that hand calculated or did you reset your MPG meter on the truck and that's the new reading? If that's hand calculated I'd say your either stuck in a regen or an injector issue.

Is that hand calculated or did you reset your MPG meter on the truck and that's the new reading? If that's hand calculated I'd say your either stuck in a regen or an injector issue.

Both. The numbers are pretty close. Taking it in to the Service department tomorrow.

I have an '08 F250 6.4L Powerstroke 4X4 Lariate with 2500 miles. Last week, I went from 11-12 MPG to 6MPG. No changes in driving habits and no towing. Any ideas as to why this happened or has anyone had similar experience?

When I first got my 6.4 4X4 super crew I was tempted to drive it off a cliff. My experience with 14,000 plus miles is the truck is averaging 14.8 mpg. that is driving 165 miles a day mainly 80 mph roads and not resetting the mpg thingy for a week. If I keep my foot out of it, I can squeeze 17 out of it. If I reset the trip meter and I am in regeneration the mpg is around 9 mpg. Recently I drove across the UP of Mi. in holiday traffic and got 18.6 (empty) averaging 55 mph for 235 miles. I have owned 7.3's and 6.0's I beliieve this diesel just took longer to break-in. I will admit it is the moodiest truck I have ever owned. My truck did the same thing your's is doing when I got it. There was TSB out for it when I took it in for service. I almost took it in again, but one morning it coffed up a hair ball and has been running fine ever since.

When I first got my 6.4 4X4 super crew I was tempted to drive it off a cliff. My experience with 14,000 plus miles is the truck is averaging 14.8 mpg. that is driving 165 miles a day mainly 80 mph roads and not resetting the mpg thingy for a week. If I keep my foot out of it, I can squeeze 17 out of it. If I reset the trip meter and I am in regeneration the mpg is around 9 mpg. Recently I drove across the UP of Mi. in holiday traffic and got 18.6 (empty) averaging 55 mph for 235 miles. I have owned 7.3's and 6.0's I beliieve this diesel just took longer to break-in. I will admit it is the moodiest truck I have ever owned. My truck did the same thing your's is doing when I got it. There was TSB out for it when I took it in for service. I almost took it in again, but one morning it coffed up a hair ball and has been running fine ever since.

Well, that's encouraging. I've babied the thing to see if the MPG would increase, but they haven't. I only drive it about 20 miles per day. Bot it to tow my travel trailer, but haven't taken any trips yet. Thanks for the info.

Update 8/29- I took it to the Service Dept. this morning. Just got a call and they said that they could find nothing wrong- I mainly needed to drive it more.

Edited by tiger381

I have a F-450 with 4.88 gearing 6.4L 4X4 and I avg. 12.5. I would think you should get the 15 you are looking for as the truck you are looking at weighs less and the gearing would help in mileage. From what I keep hearing the manual tranmission will give you about 3 to 4 mpg more than automatic...

I have 3,600 on my truck so far and no issues.

Well, that's encouraging. I've babied the thing to see if the MPG would increase, but they haven't. I only drive it about 20 miles per day. Bot it to tow my travel trailer, but haven't taken any trips yet. Thanks for the info.

Update 8/29- I took it to the Service Dept. this morning. Just got a call and they said that they could find nothing wrong- I mainly needed to drive it more.

I have a 2002 7.3, and currently have no desire to get a 6.4 for awhile. However I have read the most diesel truck owners get better mileage from their trucks by NOT BABYING them. Just run it as hard as you can. I think that when (and if) I get another diesel, I'll do this (even though my 7.3 is doing good with 122,000 miles). Might be worth a try.