Chrysler puts '06 vehicles in used lots

Paul Selby

.... a spoonful weighs a ton.

ChryCo is f----d.

[The song] A Spoonful Weighs a Ton deals with some more scientists who are gambling with a planet's time by carrying out an unstoppable experiment with the sun. -- FlamingLips.com
Edited by Roadrunner

So perhaps all of the headlines about Chrysler being UP in sales in May were a bit premature?

I don't really have a problem with the program - Chrysler HAD to get rid of those '06s, and if the only way to sell them was to discount them as used cars then so be it. Now, Chrysler has to make sure they don't do it again!

It's similar to this: US Airways just ordered 10 A330s this week. US already had 10 A330s on order, but they're not getting 20 A330s, the new order simply replaces the old order. So, Airbus adds 10 airplanes to the order book and removes 10 from the order book - a zero sum addition, right? Not quite, as the annual "Airbus-Boeing Sales Race" is tracked at the end of every calendar year. Due to the "cancellation" of 10 planes, the results from the year of the original order (2005?) are lower by ten - but no one cares because who looks at order totals from several years ago?! The only number that will be relevant is this year's number - which will be higher by ten thanks to "re-ordering" the same planes. It may seem shady, but it's just a case of utilizing the tools available to the company to assure sales - moving vehicles from new to used for Chrysler and renegotiating order terms for Airbus.

Scott

Yeah where are the Mopar-heads and "The 300C is the 2nd coming" people now?

It was fishy that Chrysler had a large jump in a down market, and now its that they 'sold' cars to dealers.

The 300's, Magnums and Charger are not listed in the article.

And yes - they continue to sell - much better that Ford's full sized line.

The 300's, Magnums and Charger are not listed in the article.

And yes - they continue to sell - much better that Ford's full sized line.

Combine the Crown Victoria, Grand Marquis, Town Car, Five Hundred, Montego, Taurus, Sable, Freestyle, and Taurus X and you might find yourself singing a slightly different tune.

Combine the Crown Victoria, Grand Marquis, Town Car, Five Hundred, Montego, Taurus, Sable, Freestyle, and Taurus X and you might find yourself singing a slightly different tune.

300/Charger Sales ytd = 25150

Add in Magnum ytd = 27801

Crown Vic/Marquis/Five Hundred/Taurus/Montego/Sable sales ytd = 18305

Add in Town Car = 22813

Freestyle/Taurus X is a crossover.

Add in Town Car = 22813

Those are not YTD numbers...those are just May's sales.

These are YTD (ending May '07)

300 YTD = 51,199

Charger YTD = 54,443

Magnum YTD = 13,465

Total LX line YTD (3 vehicles) = 119,107

Crown Vic = 30,636 (Fleet only)

Taurus / Five Hundred= 27,425

Grand Marquis = 27,327

Montego / Sable = 7,791

Town Car = 19,865

Taurus X / Freestyle = 17,321

Total of the Panther and Ford group D3 platforms YTD (6 vehicles 9 total nameplates)= 130,345

Apples to apples = If we are not counting Freestyle/Taurus X "Crossover" sales = 113,024

Edited by Intrepidatious

Add in Town Car = 22813

Well, you included the Magnum. It's about as much a crossover as the Taurus X/Freestyle. Dodge's version just sucks in comparison.

300 YTD = 51,199

Charger YTD = 54,443

Magnum YTD = 13,465

Grand Marquis = 27,327

Montego / Sable = 7,791

Town Car = 19,865

Total of the Panther and Ford group D3 platforms YTD (6 vehicles 9 total nameplates)= 130,345

Apples to apples = If we are not counting Freestyle/Taurus X "Crossover" sales = 113,024

Apples to Apples would be comparing the Crown Vic/Marquis (1 platform) to the Charger/300/Magnum (1 platform) and the obvious winner is NOT FORD.

I'll take a Charger over all of Ford Cars (except Mustang) any day of the week.

Apples to Apples would be comparing the Crown Vic/Marquis (1 platform) to the Charger/300/Magnum (1 platform) and the obvious winner is NOT FORD.

How is that really apples to apples when Ford offers more models of fullsize car? Obviously there are going to be people cross-shopping them. I'm sure quite a few little old ladies looking for a Grand Marquis lately have ended up in a Montego instead.

With that said, I will agree that Ford's RWD offerings in the segment are abominations in this day and age.

300 YTD = 51,199

Charger YTD = 54,443

Magnum YTD = 13,465

Grand Marquis = 27,327

Montego / Sable = 7,791

Town Car = 19,865

My bad re: ytd! :banghead: Thanks for correcting me.

The Freestyle/Taurus X is a crossover. Magnum is not. So bottom line number are 113,024 (Ford) v. 119,107 (Chrysler).

Either way, it takes Ford 5 cars (and one of them a fleet only vehicle) to approach Chryslers 3.

NOTE! I am not a Chryco lover! Ford IMHO has the best of everything EXCEPT full sized cars. :censored:

Edited by 96 Pony

The Freestyle/Taurus X is a crossover. Magnum is not. So bottom line number are 113,024 (Ford) v. 119,107 (Chrysler).

Either way, it takes Ford 5 cars (and one of them a fleet only vehicle) to approach Chryslers 3.

NOTE! I am not a Chryco lover! Ford IMHO has the best of everything EXCEPT full sized cars. :censored:

Why don't we wait and see how the new Taurus and Sable do before we jump to sales conclusions. My gut tells me these cars, especially the new Taurus are going to do much better then the outgoing models.

I belive Dodge calls Magnum a Touring car. The campairison is appropriate since Taurus X shares the taurus platform and Magnum shares the 300/Charger underpinnings.

IMHO they are both wagons. Ford can call the X a crossover but the Edge really fits that definition better. Compared side by side the Taurus X is a better wagon than the Magnum. It has more useable space and more passenger seating. The Magnum does have more available power (a lot more) and I suspect more towing capacity.