2008 MKX information

http://media.ford.com/products/presskit_di...&make_id=93

08ph_mkx.jpg

Still no HID's, but the Sync is standard - which I think is a great move, and couple other changes .. but the fact that in age when Sienna, Mustang, and Murano and enclave all have HID's (Enclave has them standard) - Lincoln cannot afford not to offer them

PS: I really dig the new grille treatment .. even if this package is only available in black.

Igor

CLOSE TO THE EDGE: Lincoln MKX has good comfort and appealing fuel economy but look-alike styling

July 5, 2007

BY MARK PHELAN

FREE PRESS AUTO CRITIC

No automaker has nailed the formula for a small, sporty luxury SUV yet, but Lincoln comes as close as Acura, BMW, Infiniti and Lexus have with its new 2007 MKX. Closer in some ways. Despite a rather lofty price tag, the MKX gets the nod over models like the Acura RDX, BMW X3 and Infiniti FX on the strength of a comfortable interior, a long list of creature comforts and the thrifty appeal of good fuel economy and the ability to run on regular gasoline.

The Lexus RX 350 is at least the Lincoln's match for quiet and comfort, but the MKX scores a draw because pricing and regular fuel make it more budget-friendly than the Lexus.

The MKX might have risen to the top of its class, but for the poor fit of some interior pieces and a tailgate mechanism that would do Rube Goldberg proud. Nonetheless the new Lincoln is likely to keep its owners happy.

Prices for the MKX start at $34,120 for a front-wheel-drive model. All-wheel-drive models start at $35,770. All MKXs come with Lincoln's 265-horsepower 3.5-liter V6 and six-speed automatic transmission.

I tested a well-equipped all-wheel-drive MKX with a sticker price of $43,395. All prices exclude destination charges.

The MKX is Lincoln's version of the Ford Edge. Both have car-type chassis and the height and proportions of an SUV, and neither is intended for more than the mildest off-roading.

The MKX also shares almost all its exterior panels with the Ford, a drawback for a vehicle intended to compete with stylish and unique models like the RDX and FX.

The MKX's bright chrome grille is attractive and distinctive. It immediately identifies the vehicle as a Lincoln, but it's downright restrained compared to the visible-from-space grille on the big Navigator SUV. The MKX also has a unique tailgate with a full-width reflector strip and a nice big Lincoln badge, but its profile is too similar to the Edge.

The Lincoln name will have to denote something more than extra chrome if the brand hopes to become a real player in the luxury market.

And underneath its look-alike styling, the MKX does have the hardware to compete with established luxury brands.

Its powerful and fuel-efficient engine delivers plenty of power for passing and fast cruising. The six-speed automatic transmission provides smooth shifts. The powertrain allows the MKX to match or beat its competitors on power, fuel economy or both.

As an added benefit, the Lincoln is the only vehicle in the group that recommends regular fuel, so owners can count on paying lower gas prices as well as competitive performance and fuel economy. All-wheel-drive models like the one I tested got 17 m.p.g. in the city and 24 m.p.g. on the highway, while front-drive models achieved 18 m.p.g. in the city and 25 m.p.g. highway in EPA tests.

The MKX has very little road or wind noise, and its power steering is nicely tuned for both highway cruising and parking lot maneuvers. Brake feel and stopping power are good.

The suspension absorbs bumps with ease, although its soft tuning results in noticeable body roll driving through fast curving country roads.

The MKX has a long list of standard safety features, including front-seat side air bags, curtain air bags, rollover-sensing stability control and antilock brakes.

The interior also offers a long and attractive roster of features, including leather upholstery, wood trim, comfortable seats and plenty of passenger and cargo space. The interior materials all look and feel good, and the center console has a very deep and accommodating two-level storage bin.

Those appealing features are badly undermined by the appallingly bad fit where the dashboard met the front doors on the MKX I tested, however. The door-to-dash gap on the driver's side was narrow and even, while the space on the passenger side was huge. Two dimes fit snugly in the driver's side gap, while I was able to slip a stack of five quarters into the passenger-side space.

If you don't think about this stuff much, here's a simple rule of thumb: Narrow gaps are better than big gaps, but if you can't make them narrow, you should at least keep them uniformly wide. Variation is unacceptable, both because it looks sloppy and it suggests that pieces you can't see may not fit together right.

Options on the MKX I tested included an excellent THX stereo, heated and cooled front seats, heated rear seats, a DVD-based navigation system and rear-seat DVD video.

The 60/40 split rear seats fold flat at the touch of a button, but you have to raise them by hand, unlike the power folding rear seat in the Navigator.

The liftover onto the cargo floor was a bit higher than I'd like but the load floor is flat and provides plenty of space.

However, the optional power tailgate on the MKX I tested looked like some engineer's 13-year-old designed it in shop class. While most power tailgates hide their motors within the vehicle's body, the MKX uses a bolted-on-looking box that intrudes into the cargo compartment and an awkward vertical strut to open and close the tailgate.

Further, the plastic cover over the motor fit poorly, with gaps along its top, uneven spaces along the sides and an exposed screw hole.

Quality gaffes like those, plus Ford look-alike styling, keep the MKX from establishing itself as the small luxury SUV to beat, but its many appealing features, comfort and fuel economy make it a strong entry in a segment that lacks a dominant player.

Contact MARK PHELAN at 313-222-6731 or phelan@freepress.com.

Copyright © 2007 Detroit Free Press Inc.

• 2 weeks later...
I Thought that the MKX was going to get the new 3.7L V6 in 2008?

I know that the Mazda CX-9 is getting the 3.7L in the 2008 model....

Maybe 2009?

Black is a good color on the MKX.

I'm surprised he liked the seats so much. I found them surprisingly hard, and this isn't usually something I complain about.

I Thought that the MKX was going to get the new 3.7L V6 in 2008?

I know that the Mazda CX-9 is getting the 3.7L in the 2008 model....

Ford wants the MKS to launch with a big splash of DI 3.7l good for 330 or so HP .. then MKZ and MKX get is too .. otherwise the MKS would have one more 'ho hum" line in the media reports ... unfortunately.

igor

HID has really fallen by the wayside. the threat of legislation against them and the theft issues has kind of set them back. i don't think its a big deal for the mkx to not have them.

Huh?

It is a Huge deal if they are available on your competition you better at least offer them -- for some people they are a must have feature as they light the road so much better. Other things missing are rain-sensing wipers, and power folding mirrors. Sync is a excellent start but you need to offer things that have been around for may years and considered the price of admission at that price point. Even non-car people know that expensive cars have those headlights, and that's the reason most buy the Lincoln over the Edge so others know they drive an expensive car.

I also have seen no litigation regarding them, do you have any court cases, I searched google but couldn't find any.

Huh?

It is a Huge deal if they are available on your competition you better at least offer them -- for some people they are a must have feature as they light the road so much better. Other things missing are rain-sensing wipers, and power folding mirrors. Sync is a excellent start but you need to offer things that have been around for may years and considered the price of admission at that price point. Even non-car people know that expensive cars have those headlights, and that's the reason most buy the Lincoln over the Edge so others know they drive an expensive car.

I also have seen no litigation regarding them, do you have any court cases, I searched google but couldn't find any.

Forget HIDs - how about an electrically adjustable and memory controlled seat back and tilt/telescoping steering wheel? Still bugs me on the 03 Aviator after having a 2000 LS.

Forget HIDs - how about an electrically adjustable and memory controlled seat back and tilt/telescoping steering wheel? Still bugs me on the 03 Aviator after having a 2000 LS.

I agree 100%. HID's, Headlamp washers, LED tail lights, Power tilt/telescoping wheel, Rain sensing wipers, side repeater turn signals (on the mirror housing or on the fender) Keyless start, rear camera, Bluetooth (fixed for '08) the list goes on.... I look at all things that the RX/MDX and even the Nissan Murano had when it came out in 2003 and to bring out a model four years later missing some very important features is sad, on both the part of the engineers and management. But like everything else Ford does it is 85%.