June 2007 Sales - GM

igor

Can someone enlighten me on the situation at GM. Last year they launched a load of new models right? And yet sales are down 21% in June. Ok some were expected from the drop in retail sales but still!

Here's a further analysis of GM's sales that I found on a GM forum posted by 'mtndrew1':

The following GM vehicles dropped roughly 1/4 (25%) - 1/3 (33%) from June '06 to June '07:

Lucerne

CTS

DTS

Aveo

Cobalt

G6

Escalade

SRX

C/K Suburban(Chevy)

Chevy C/T Series

Colorado

Express Panel/G Van

Express/G Sportvan

Tahoe

Silverado-C/K Pickup

Chevrolet Fullsize Pickups

Sierra

Yukon

HUMMER H2

VUE

The following GM vehicles dropped by about half (50%) from June '06 to June '07:

LaCrosse

STS

XLR

Malibu

Monte Carlo

ION

Rainier

Terraza

Escalade ESV

Equinox

TrailBlazer

Envoy

Savana/Rally

Yukon XL

Torrent

The following GM vehicles dropped by roughly 3/4 (75%) from June '06 to June '07:

GTO

9-2X

ION

Rendezvous

Montana SV6

Is it all going pear shaped?

These numbers are scary.

After looking at these the Ford numbers look a whole lot better in perspective.

The fleet queen Impala is about the only number that has gone up.

GM has red hot deals, zero% and big rebates running on TV this am. How much longer until we see Employee pricing again?

These numbers are scary.

After looking at these the Ford numbers look a whole lot better in perspective.

The fleet queen Impala is about the only number that has gone up.

GM has red hot deals, zero% and big rebates running on TV this am. How much longer until we see Employee pricing again?

I agree Ford doesn't look bad by comparison. As a European could someone tell me whether GM has much in the way of key new products on the way?

I agree Ford doesn't look bad by comparison. As a European could someone tell me whether GM has much in the way of key new products on the way?

The new Malibu. That's really about it. Most of their "key new products" were already launched in the past 24 months, which is the really worrisome part of their results.

GM Trucks seemed to have really sagged this month where Ford's F trucks maintained 2006 numbers. Did GM have big incentives on trucks this month too?

I'm concerned the RWD Zeta Impala might lob right when GM needs a new FWD car for that segment, can anyone else see this going very pear shaped for GM?

Edited by jpd80

well .. yeah GM had a lot of excitement, but they canceled some very crucial programs and they will hurt..

the Impala will be RWD in a little bit, and very unlikely as efficient as today. Unless people go GAGA over it a la Chrysler 300, the Taurus will eat its lunch.

The Cobalt was to get a very significant redesign with IRS etc, and they killed that off.

The Malibu has high hopes. but we shall see how it does ... the Fusion is just as good, and it is not doing too well - and Aura despite being Car of the year is already being considered a flop.

The Aveo is doing OK, but the engine is awful .. if they had a better engine in there - they would be much better off.

HHR is a silent hit, but even it is cooling off.

Chevy will have a version of the Lambda crossovers.. they will likely do very well for GM .. they are better executed than the Edge., but they are not a good looking for the customer, so we shall see.

The Camaro might help the image, but it is still 2 years off.

Pontiac will also get the G8 this fall, and Cadillac has the new CTS this fall. Saturn will have its last product the Astra launch this fall .. All three of them are important products, but none of them will be high volume.

Finally, GM will get a lot of help from the Transformers product placement .. it could help their July numbers quite a lot.

we shall see ..

Igor

Finally, GM will get a lot of help from the Transformers product placement .. it could help their July numbers quite a lot.

Do you SERIOUSLY think that people who see the Transformers movie are REALLY going to be influenced by it enough to want to buy a GM product? I don't. The only vehicle I could see it doing well for at all is the Camaro, which is still over a year from introduction, as you mentioned. Maybe Transformers will convince the Dept of Defense to order more F-22 Raptors from Lockheed Martin too!!

Do you SERIOUSLY think that people who see the Transformers movie are REALLY going to be influenced by it enough to want to buy a GM product? I don't. The only vehicle I could see it doing well for at all is the Camaro, which is still over a year from introduction, as you mentioned. Maybe Transformers will convince the Dept of Defense to order more F-22 Raptors from Lockheed Martin too!!

yes

GM dealers are putting solstices and other cars in the theaters and have salesmen on hand to entice people to come in after the movie .. and it seems to be working fine.

the movie is a GIANT GM commercial and GM will (hopefully) milk it for all its worth.

Igor

yes

GM dealers are putting solstices and other cars in the theaters and have salesmen on hand to entice people to come in after the movie .. and it seems to be working fine.

the movie is a GIANT GM commercial and GM will (hopefully) milk it for all its worth.

Igor

Giant GM commercial to whom though? The main audience for this movie is younger people who aren't going to be buying new cars anytime soon anyway. The only other audience is the 80's throwbacks like myself, but generally speaking, we buy imports.

People who like the Transformers movie are not going to want W body cars or Aveos. Also, there is NO Camaro for sale! Do you think GM can sit and wait for that?

The sad thing is the new cars are not bad, its just that most assume that the Aura is just another W body like car.

Giant GM commercial to whom though? The main audience for this movie is younger people who aren't going to be buying new cars anytime soon anyway. The only other audience is the 80's throwbacks like myself, but generally speaking, we buy imports.

A lot of thirty somethings were at the showing I went to down here.

About six yank marines sitting behind our row, loved all the explosions.

Aussie designed Camaro will be a big hit.

Reading the above makes me think that GM needs it's overseas divisons to do big numbers and to be honest I can't see that happening. Europe has had several new models already and although they are doing well, they aren't going to do well enough to save GM. China is donig well for GM but again not well enough.

If GM have no major new models to release in NA and if they don't stop bleeding cash then I think they are doomed to chapter 11.

Reading the above makes me think that GM needs it's overseas divisons to do big numbers and to be honest I can't see that happening. Europe has had several new models already and although they are doing well, they aren't going to do well enough to save GM. China is donig well for GM but again not well enough.

If GM have no major new models to release in NA and if they don't stop bleeding cash then I think they are doomed to chapter 11.

I think GM's issue now is overcapacity in North America. It seems that Ford had resigned itself to the fact that they needed to shrink to become healthy long before GM figured that out (if they even still have). I think GM management may be taking it a little too personally that Toyota is knocking them out of the #1 spot in sales.

I think GM's issue now is overcapacity in North America. It seems that Ford had resigned itself to the fact that they needed to shrink to become healthy long before GM figured that out (if they even still have). I think GM management may be taking it a little too personally that Toyota is knocking them out of the #1 spot in sales.

That seems to be the case. Whilst I think GM know how to make exciting cars I wonder if they know how to make bread and butter cars?

the Fusion is just as good, and it is not doing too well

Better watch it, I said fusion sales for June were dissapointing in the Ford Sales thread and of course everyone got there panties in a bunch and started shit.

GM's sales in June were about as bad as they could possibly be.

They need, a good small car and good B segment cars, they need mid-size and competitive small crossovers..............and yet we have no word on any of those.

Edited by DCK

In my view, GM's biggest error was only dro

pping the Olds Division and trying to keep on marketing the remaining divisions. They needed to drop two more divisions, but didn't. I don't know how the hell they think they can market Chevy, GMC, Ponitac, Buick, Saturn, Cadillac, and Hummer and build strong brand identity in today's auto market. If GM could pare itself down to just three divisions, and refocus their marketing efforts on those three, then maybe they could prosper. GM simply doesn't have the capital anymore to keep 7 divisions current and strong in marketplace. I only see Chevy, Cadillac, and one could argue which remaing division survives. I believe GM is suicidal to keep on with all these divisions and the money it will take to keep them with fresh product, and market them effectively. GM is not making enough money to do it IMO.

In my view, GM's biggest error was only dro

pping the Olds Division and trying to keep on marketing the remaining divisions. They needed to drop two more divisions, but didn't. I don't know how the hell they think they can market Chevy, GMC, Ponitac, Buick, Saturn, Cadillac, and Hummer and build strong brand identity in today's auto market. If GM could pare itself down to just three divisions, and refocus their marketing efforts on those three, then maybe they could prosper. GM simply doesn't have the capital anymore to keep 7 divisions current and strong in marketplace. I only see Chevy, Cadillac, and one could argue which remaing division survives. I believe GM is suicidal to keep on with all these divisions and the money it will take to keep them with fresh product, and market them effectively. GM is not making enough money to do it IMO.

I've never like the idea of closing down brands because ultimately you end up loosing market share. I've always prefered to see companies re-invented if possible. British Leyland was once the 4 biggest car company in the world with the following brands:

- Austin

- Austin Healey

- MG

- Rover

- Land Rover

- Range Rover

- Freight Rover

- Wolseley

- Morris

- Riley

- Jaguar

- Daimler

- Triumph/ Standard

- Leyland Trucks

- Mini

Now it's just been proken up into Jaguar, Land Rover, Range Rover, MINI, MG and soon to be relaunched Austin/ Austin Healy. They are no longer part of the 4th biggest car company and have been broken up. If you cut back brands at GM do you kill GM?

I've never like the idea of closing down brands because ultimately you end up loosing market share. I've always prefered to see companies re-invented if possible. British Leyland was once the 4 biggest car company in the world with the following brands:

- Austin

- Austin Healey

- MG

- Rover

- Land Rover

- Range Rover

- Freight Rover

- Wolseley

- Morris

- Riley

- Jaguar

- Daimler

- Triumph/ Standard

- Leyland Trucks

- Mini

Now it's just been proken up into Jaguar, Land Rover, Range Rover, MINI, MG and soon to be relaunched Austin/ Austin Healy. They are no longer part of the 4th biggest car company and have been broken up. If you cut back brands at GM do you kill GM?

some would say you will strenghten Gm .. unlike Leylard, GM is a CAR COMPANY - not just a collection of car companies.

With too much overlap. you breed internal competition and generate needles desire for differentiation ... a desire that increases costs and reduces profits.

For example .. does it really make sens to have a Mercury model of a Ford? even though mercury attracts women, shouldn't Ford just attract them with great products and pocket the cost it would have spent developing the Mercury model? How much market share does a brand need to justify the cost of development, testing, manufacturing, marketing and sales?

I think that is the treshold .. and the more unique a brand is, the bigger it needs to be to justify its existence .. after all - market share is a nice thing, but profits is crucial.

Igor