Traditional Midsize SUV Sales July 2007

I don't normally track "standard" midsize SUVs since sales are down, but the Explorer is still significant to Ford so I thought I'd take a mid-year snapshot of the category to track Explorer's progress. To best measure the results I've included YTD sales.

Model - July 2007 --- July 2006 -X- YTD 2007 --- YTD 2006

Explorer ----- 11,212 --- 15,851 -X- 85,916 --- 111,493

Mountaineer - 1,469 ---- 2,968 --X-- 14,936 --- 19,243

Rainier ----- 363 ------- 858 ---X--- 4,083 --- 9,076

Trailblazer - 14,547 --- 13,805 -X- 77,034 --- 105,817

Envoy ------ 5,421 ----- 7,673 --X-- 26,912 --- 44,667

4Runner --- 6,676 --- 9,346 -X- 50,870 --- 64,212

FJ Cruiser - 4,128 --- 6,309 -X- 33,882 --- 27,778

Sorento - 4,342 --- 4,868 -X- 22,882 --- 29,846

XTerra - 4,170 --- 4,575 -X- 29,957 --- 36,981

Pathfinder - 4,931 --- 5,572 -X- 35,178 --- 43,674

Nitro ----------- 4,602 --- 0/new ----X---- 41,814 --- 0/new

Liberty --------- 6,534 --- 9,702 ----X---- 56,648 --- 79,808

Grand Cherokee - 10,101 --- 10,124 -X- 70,562 --- 82,995

Commander ---- 5,983 --- 7,363 ---X--- 39,725 --- 47,037

Ford is still leading the pack for the year, with GM really moving some Trailblazers in July (incentives? fleet?) It's hard to believe that Ford sold upwards of 400,000 Explorers a year less than a decade ago. Here's hoping that Explorer/Flex/Taurus X/Edge can once again approach 500K/year in volume. It's not an easy task, but this is the best lineup of SUVs/CUVs Ford's ever had - let's see if Ford can do it.

Scott

You have the Liberty classified as a midsized SUV? :headscratch:

I have an Explorer and a Liberty, and the Liberty is comparable to an Escape, not an Explorer.

Why is it here?

1. Weight

2. Fuel mileage

3. Off-road capability

4. Soon-to-be-redone-when-it-will-probably-move-up-in-size-close-to-the-Nitro

I agree that the Liberty is more of a compact SUV in size, but it's closer to traditional midsize BOF SUVs as far as abilities. This category gets rather stretched by taking the Explorer & Trailblazer, rather large SUVs, and the Liberty/Nitro & XTerra - which all vary quite a bit in size. I hedge my bets however by listing the Liberty in this category and again in the Compact CUV category.

Scott

I agree with Igor, and suspect the Trailblazer's success comes entirely from fleet-dumping.

We know the on-road Explorer is coming, and with that, I expect a significant boost in sales. However, given we definitely won't see it until MY2011 at the soonest, Ford needs to contemplate some stop-gap measures to give Explorer sales a shot in the arm. 3.5 or 3.7 Duratec would go a LONG way in boosting fuel economy and refinement, along with a quick and dirty facelift to throw on the 4-bar Expedition grill, and get rid of the horrible VW/Audi horsecollar I see on most Explorers sold. On top of that, throw in a Limited package with 20" rims, as well as an XLT Offroad/Towing package, and an owner loyalty rebate to current owners, and we might get back to 15k a month for a little while.

I can't believe the FJCruiser sells at the amount it does. Although just a year after being released, the sales seem to be dropping a bit. But such high sales for such a limited SUV (2drs) is unusual.

If you ask me it's either, there is a market for a 2 door SUV or Toyota is giving them away (they're ugly either way IMO)

If you ask me it's either, there is a market for a 2 door SUV or Toyota is giving them away (they're ugly either way IMO)

I'm sure there is, but not enough to make a decent profit, but I guess Ford didnt see that with the 2-door Explorer....which is the closest thing to an FJ they offered lately

Yes! I really agree. And call it a Bronco. Make it about 500 pounds lighter than 4 door Explorer since it will be smaller, give it good towing ability, and class leading fuel mileage. The new 3.5 liter V6 with 6 speed auto and choice of 5 speed manaul would make it interesting buy. Distintive looks with Bronco design cues without going retro. I hope Ford designers sit around and have ideas like this and executives to listen to them. Explorer needs another model to soldier on for few more years. Something to fit the new times we live in.